Congrats Taylor!

mfitz804

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Seriously, fvcking give him the C.  This is his team now.

Just because he is clearly the Devils' best player, doesn't necessarily mean he should wear the C. Taylor Hall deserves to be the All-Star, and his attitude and dialogue has really impressed me lately.

Edited by Mu6atu

Gotta love that tweet!

I'm sure the actual role of a captain is overblown by fans, but it all just seems like too much of a fit for Hall to not be the team captain at this point, especially with all the changes Shero has made to the team since coming on board. I get that you don't want to strip someone of captaincy just because someone better came along, but Greene has hardly played well at all this season. Taylor can continue to amp up players, tell them how they could be doing their jobs differently or better, get in the ref's face over a weak call, and do anything else that a captiain does, with or without a C on his jersey. But I think it would mean a lot more to him and to the rest of the team if the guy steering the ship actually had that C.

• Like 2

Extremely happy for Taylor...seems like everything has truly come together for him since last season ended.  Agree with '7' in that who the captain is just isn't a huge deal, but I'd be stunned if it wasn't Hall when next season rolls around.  I don't think they'll strip Greene of the 'C' in-season...he's too well-respected by his teammates and coaches to have that happen.  And I have no issue with that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Extremely happy for Taylor...seems like everything has truly come together for him since last season ended.  Agree with '7' in that who the captain is just isn't a huge deal, but I'd be stunned if it wasn't Hall when next season rolls around.  I don't think they'll strip Greene of the 'C' in-season...he's too well-respected by his teammates and coaches to have that happen.  And I have no issue with that.

My senses also tell me Hall will be the captain by next season; just has that feel. I think the push by Shero and Hynes to court Hall over the summer and encourage him to take more of a leadership role wasn't just done out of pure care for the player either, I think they're trying to make him feel emotionally invested in the team so he doesn't up and walk out come his contract end.

• Like 1

I once figured it would be Palmieri, and as much as I love him (he's still probably my favorite current player) it's hard to disagree that it should be Taylor's. So thankful for that trade, man. What a treat to watch every night.

Is it Saturday yet? fvck the Flyers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven M. said:

I once figured it would be Palmieri, and as much as I love him (he's still probably my favorite current player) it's hard to disagree that it should be Taylor's. So thankful for that trade, man. What a treat to watch every night.

Is it Saturday yet? fvck the Flyers.

Palms is my current fave too and I think under different circumstances he would make a fine captain here, but it really feels like the Devils have 100% become Taylor's team.  Hall becoming the captain to start next season just feels preordained at this point...in the best way possible.  

• Like 1

I think the captaincy talk is premature. No way should they strip Greene unless he feels he doesn't want it or is really not performing the leadership role adequately. The best player doesn't get the C just because they're the best player. I agree Hall's attitude outwardly suggests he'd be an excellent leader at this point in his career, but it's a locker room thing, not a PR thing. I'm also not super keen on giving it to a guy who's been here 18 months. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Taylor, and I absolutely believe he's our next captain, but there's no reason to give it to him before Greene steps out of the role. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think the captaincy talk is premature. No way should they strip Greene unless he feels he doesn't want it or is really not performing the leadership role adequately. The best player doesn't get the C just because they're the best player. I agree Hall's attitude outwardly suggests he'd be an excellent leader at this point in his career, but it's a locker room thing, not a PR thing. I'm also not super keen on giving it to a guy who's been here 18 months. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Taylor, and I absolutely believe he's our next captain, but there's no reason to give it to him before Greene steps out of the role. 

Does it really matter all that much?  First, I don't think who the captain is makes the team win more games.  Second, I seriously doubt that Taylor is somehow disgruntled because it might not happen for another two years.  Third, while fans might have cooled on him, the entire team respects Greene, so there's no affect on morale by the fact that his game might slipped recently.

46 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

It's not a lifetime gig, nor up to Greene if and when he should no longer serve as team captain.  And regardless of circumstances, if Elias can be stripped, so can Greene...but I will say that there is a right way to do it. 

I agree with Daniel that fans and teammates probably see this whole thing much differently.  Fans see a player that seems to be on an exponential decline, who could/should even be a scratch at this point.  Teammates see a good-guy vet who's been there for a long time (that they respect to the hilt), and I'm sure that every last one of them is in his corner and hoping that he can turn it around, even if it's not possible.  Without delving to much into player psyche, I think part of that stems from knowing that at some point, almost all of them are going to be in the same position one day...on their last legs, and hoping to get a shot to pull out of what looks like an irreversible downslide, even when the signs don't point to that ever happening. 

I don't think Hall has earned the C because he's been the Devils' best player this season...I think he's earned it by being all-in, all of the time, giving it everything, really embracing being in NJ and being a Devil, and just showing leadership on the ice...it simply feels like it's become his team.  Like I said, maybe if Palms had been healthy all season, I would've leaned more towards him, because I think he's often that kind of guy too (though clearly not as naturally gifted as Hall...with Palms it's more of a "fight for everything he gets" kind of vibe)...unfortunately, this has been a start-stop kind of year for Palms due to the missed games, and he has yet to really find his rhythm...in ways, it's made Hall for Captain seem all that more meant-to-be. 

But I say don't mess with transferring the C to another player until after the season is over.  This doesn't need to be rushed at all.  I have a hunch as long as it's handled fairly and respectfully (and I'm sure it would be), it wouldn't surprise me at all if Greene was nothing but gracious and supportive.  He doesn't strike me as putting anything other than his team first.  He may be approaching the finish line more quickly than we'd ever expected, but he's a pure class act.  It's really sad that he won't be able to be a part of the brighter days to come. 

• Like 1