GDT - Devils vs Flyers 1/13/18

NJDfan1711

This team is so frustrating.  It's been having these breakdowns in these losses and everything seems to end up in the back of the net.  And it has opportunities that they don't cash in on, that come back to bite them in the butt.  That goal early in the 3rd to make it 4-2, that's...whatever. 

They have 2 days of practice, and they better get it together.  They are going to need this stretch before the all star game to get out of this.   The players, the goalie, the coaches have to be better.  They are capable of better than last night. They have re-set things earlier this season.  The division and the league as a whole is as tough this year throughout as it's been in I can't remember, they have to be just as tough and step up. Still half a season left.  Let's see if they can step it up. 

Bratt needs to be on pp1 with Hall and Vatanen and I’d say Palmieri and Boyle in front. 

PP2 should be Butcher at QB, Hischier, Johansson, and  I’ll go Zacha with Wood in front of the net. 

Mix and match these guys. There’s no reason our power play should suck that bad.

12 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• Completely flat and not much energy for both teams
  • Tonight is a perfect example as to why you don't just allow low danger shots at will, and the coaches need to learn this eventually.
  • Being too passive is what led to 4 of the 5 Flyer goals.
    • Goal 1 was a low danger shot that created a rebound which was put in by Couturier.
    • Goal 2 was a low danger shot that deflected off of Simmonds.
    • Goal 3 was just a nice shot but from a low danger area on the ice by Couturier.
    • Goal 5 was a result of being too passive allowing the Flyers to exit their zone, and enter the Devils zone way too easily, which made the Devils d-zone coverage look silly.
  • Hakstol is a terrible player management coach, but his system is great.
  • The special teams also let the team down big time tonight.
  • Analytically, the Devils outplayed the Flyers overall.
  • However, the Flyers did a good job at exploiting this bad system Hynes runs and took advantage of their opportunities.

im not sure what you can do about low danger shots.. nobody is going to hold a team to zero SOG.. the problem is that if your system allows these thhen you have more people around the net to prevent the rebound chances.. you cant allow both.. centers need to get back deep fast too.. alot of this is just dam bad puck luck also

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

You engaged in an analytical process to reach that conclusion. And then you came to the conclusion that the way you reached your conclusion was stupid. :huh:

Not so. “Analytics” has a specific meaning, which does not refer to all analytical processes.

Also, analytics with respect to analyzing hockey are stupid; analytically analyzing analytics with respect to analyzing hockey is not. 

31 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I didn't watch last night, so this analysis may very well be off. But in the Devils 6-game winless streak, Schneider has given up: 4, 5, 4, 5, and then 5 goals. I don't feel like he receives enough criticism around here.

He gets a decent amount of criticism from some here but what are they supposed to do? Start Kinkaid more? Lol

The breakdowns by this team defensively are the big issues, not Cory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I didn't watch last night, so this analysis may very well be off. But in the Devils 6-game winless streak, Schneider has given up: 4, 5, 4, 5, and then 5 goals. I don't feel like he receives enough criticism around here.

I don't usually criticize him but I think he needs to improve in

1. Rebound control, not without the help of D of course because he obviously can't catch every puck. 2 of 5 yesterday are his fault.

2. Stick handling behind the crease. Maybe I'm just spoiled by how great Marty was, but Cory sometimes singlehandedly turns pucks over by weakly tossing it along the boards.

When is the coaching staff going to do something about the powerplay? Zajac really should not be on the first unit, and probably not the second unit either. You want a guy for faceoffs, but that's what Boyle can be used for, and he can actually be effective in front of the net.

I'd like to see them go with something like:

Hischier-Boyle-Johansson

Butcher-Hall

and

Zacha-Wood-Bratt

Palmieri-Vatanen

Also, I thought Zacha's line was pretty good. Not sure where all the hate is coming from, but they seemed to outplay their opponents for most of the game. If he and Wood keep playing like that, they'll score some goals.

While I'm still a big fan of Schneider, and definitely not one to criticize his play often, it does seem like a while since he has had a really strong game. He'll have to have a few with this busy month we have ahead of us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

His save% has dropped to a .915%, just above .913% league average. Better than the disaster of last year at .908%. But yeah, he is expected to perform at an elite level and he certainly hasn't lately. 

23 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

then you're not reading my posts.

37 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

Anybody see the lines in practice today?  Wood as an extra??? For Hayes???  I would be pissed if Wood sat.

I actually welcome Hayes getting some time. Reason being is we need to recapture a physical element to our attack.

The forwards try to force their way into the zone way too much with possession instead of utilizing some dump and chase to get in behind the defense. Hayes should help with this. I don't agree with benching Wood for Hayes, however.