Sign in to follow this  
Devils Pride 26

Oh No! We Suck Again!

Haven't been able to watch much the last month but this streak is starting to get concerning. Convince me that I am wrong.

44 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

“Haven’t watched much of the last month”

- you’re wrong. 

Box scores and highlights haven't been pretty. Care to elaborate? 

16 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Box scores and highlights haven't been pretty. Care to elaborate? 

I tend to not use the referees as excuses, but in two of the losses (Buffalo, @St Louis) we had a late third period go-ahead goal waived off due to offsides (the first absurd, the second questionable). If those two are counted, we’re 2-3-1 in our last 6, and 7-3-1 in our last 11 and all of a sudden this isn’t even a losing streak at all.

we outplayed the islanders pretty convincingly, but hit four (!!!) posts/crossbars. None, of course, went in. The islanders hit three posts/crossbars. All three for goals. 

The loss to Washington was no-doubt a “scheduling” loss; a road game one day after a home (overtime) game. I’ll look past the fact that Washington’s “nail in the coffin” goal had 6 skaters on the ice (and 6 skaters celebrating in the goal huddle). 

We have not been playing our best hockey, that’s absolutely true. But we also have not been playing “6 winless games” poorly.

• Like 2

There’s absolutely cause for concern. Can’t win on a consistent basis letting in 4-5 goals a night. They’re still scoring their fair share, which is a positive, but Cory and the defense needs to be better. Both the PP and PK need to improve as well. Hynes got them back on track once already this season, lets see if he can do it again. 

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Every team has their slump. We've been very lucky so far this season

True. 82 games is a really long season. It’s bound to happen, but you can’t let it get out of control. Thankfully they at least got 3 points out of the possible 12 during this 6 game losing streak. Don’t want this young team to get used to losing though. 

Edited by Nicomo

The Rangers, meanwhile, have lost 4 of their last 5 — all losses in regulation — by a combined score of 19-7. 

Pretty neat.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It's a slump.  Like all slumps, there's been some ugly and frustrating moments, but even at six games I can't panic about this just yet.  The Devils had managed to go through the first 36 games of the season without hitting a major slump, and we all know there are flaws...this was going to happen sooner or later.  But I don't think that it's the beginning of the end.  They will get past this, and I still believe that they do enough to get into the playoffs. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There’s absolutely cause for concern. Can’t win on a consistent basis letting in 4-5 goals a night. They’re still scoring their fair share, which is a positive, but Cory and the defense needs to be better. Both the PP and PK need to improve as well. Hynes got them back on track once already this season, lets see if he can do it again. 

These are my concerns.  Also, would like to see Gibbons get it going again but I am afraid that was just an anomaly and where he is now is the norm.

55 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

These are my concerns.  Also, would like to see Gibbons get it going again but I am afraid that was just an anomaly and where he is now is the norm.

The Devils aren't going to continue to give up 4-5 goals per night though.  When you're in a slump, that can happen over a small sample, but not over 40 more games.  Schneider will pick it back up.

Everything pointed to Gibby not maintaining that early pace...a very high shooting% plus a low shot volume is always a recipe for regression.  The Devils are still a solid offense group though.  

As a board, many are really not good at handling adversity...when the Devils went 0-2-2 after the 9-2-0 start, out came the comparisons to last year's team.  At 0-3-3, I've seen that again, and now we're worrying about the kids getting too used to losing...after six games, where as MITB pointed out, it's not like the Devils' play has fallen off a cliff.  

Teams slump.  It happens.  It sucks and there's always going to be unsettling ugliness during one.  But there's enough talent here that it won't turn into some massive collapse.  They just have to get through this.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I said it in the last GDT, but I'd rather this slump happen now than in March.

Team has some soul searching to do.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I say it in the last GDT, but I'd rather this slump happen now than in March.

Team has some soul searching to do.

Unfortunately now is when they start playing a ton of divisional games though. Bad timing for a slump. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Unfortunately now is when they start playing a ton of divisional games though. Bad timing for a slump. 

Or, good timing to break out of this slump.

• Like 1

The Devils aren't going to continue to give up 4-5 goals per night though.  When you're in a slump, that can happen over a small sample, but not over 40 more games.  Schneider will pick it back up.
Everything pointed to Gibby not maintaining that early pace...a very high shooting% plus a low shot volume is always a recipe for regression.  The Devils are still a solid offense group though.  
As a board, many are really not good at handling adversity...when the Devils went 0-2-2 after the 9-2-0 start, out came the comparisons to last year's team.  At 0-3-3, I've seen that again, and now we're worrying about the kids getting too used to losing...after six games, where as MITB pointed out, it's not like the Devils' play has fallen off a cliff.  
Teams slump.  It happens.  It sucks and there's always going to be unsettling ugliness during one.  But there's enough talent here that it won't turn into some massive collapse.  They just have to get through this.

Well said CR. I'm so sick of the constant panic, sky is falling crap. Teams slump. The Flyers lost ten in a row earlier this year. Guess what... They're right in the thick of the race. Every team slumps. Part of sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Man, you guys are harsh sometimes. Can’t say anything around here without getting jumped on...

It alright to be upset.  However the over the top reactions and the pages-long continuation of such reactions are a bit much.

It's a funk.  They were bound to hit this sometime this season whether they were a playoff team or not.  In 2000-01 season before their 13 game winning streak they were 2-4-3-1 (W-L-T-OL) in their previous 10 games and were 3-5-3-3 in their previous 14.  It happens.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

Im with Dog and CR on this.. its a bad slump.. of course we have issues on D.. cant fix everything over night  after a 4 game win streak we'll all come off the ledge

fringe PO team... and if we are falling out of the PO race in late feb.. i will start my tank thread :evil:

11 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Im with Dog and CR on this.. its a bad slump.. of course we have issues on D.. cant fix everything over night  after a 4 game win streak we'll all come off the ledge

fringe PO team... and if we are falling out of the PO race in late feb.. i will start my tank thread :evil:

I’ll be happy with a single win right now. Just want that good feeling again. Seems like it’s been forever. That damn bye made this feel worse. 

Edited by Nicomo

11 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Im with Dog and CR on this.. its a bad slump.. of course we have issues on D.. cant fix everything over night  after a 4 game win streak we'll all come off the ledge

Its a  slump for sure.  And while I am not on the ledge per say, I hope they get a win or two soon to help their confidence, I think it is a little fragile right now.  We have a bunch of games in hand on teams like CBJ and Pitt.  I hope that we can capitalize on them and I will feel better.

We have a bunch of games in hand on teams and our overall play hasn't been bad. We've had some average goaltending and terrible luck. We just have to clean up these second periods, get more pucks deep on the attack and we'll be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Man, you guys are harsh sometimes. Can’t say anything around here without getting jumped on...

Are you upset that people responded to your message on a message board?

45 minutes ago, devlman said:

We have a bunch of games in hand on teams and our overall play hasn't been bad. We've had some average goaltending and terrible luck. We just have to clean up these second periods, get more pucks deep on the attack and we'll be fine.

I agree with this 100%. 

11 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I agree with this 100%. 

I agree 95%, with the additional 5% being we have to stop giving up 4+ goals per game. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree 95%, with the additional 5% being we have to stop giving up 4+ goals per game. 

I think you simply have to have faith that Schneider will play better. At this point, if he doesn’t, were fvcked for a whole lot of reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I think you simply have to have faith that Schneider will play better. At this point, if he doesn’t, were fvcked for a whole lot of reasons.

I think that will happen.