Sign in to follow this  
Mike Brown

Why Travis Zajac is so important to this team, and why goaltending has been the bigger problem than defense since he came back

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well of course but then you still need to look at a few of them together to get the big picture. I mean look at it as if shots are apples... You get a bucket of 20 apples and they are all big, red and juicy. Let's call those the Ovechkin apples... then you get another bucket where you get maybe 5 decents apples and the rest are rotten and small. Let's call that bucket the Andy Greene bucket.

You can say there's 20 apples in each buckets obviously. But the quality of the apple / shot will make a huge difference. You can't use those metrics as if all shots are the same quality and weight the same. Right there it's skewing the stat cause not all units are equal.

Well, shot percentage. 

5 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Well, shot percentage. 

Well that's a shot based on results (based on if the puck went in or not) which is not really what we're talking about here. sh!tty shots can go in and precise shots can be stopped, it's kind of like +/-. The number doesnt tell the whole story.

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's a shot based on results (based on if the puck went in or not) which is not really what we're talking about here. sh!tty shots can go in and precise shots can be stopped, it's kind of like +/-. The number doesnt tell the whole story.

Yea but that evens out. Good shooters are going to score more than bad shooters. At this point you're saying the game is totally random and skill has nothing to do with it. 

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

Yea but that evens out. Good shooters are going to score more than bad shooters. At this point you're saying the game is totally random and skill has nothing to do with it. 

That's not at all what i'm saying. All i'm saying is that stats based on shots are not necessarily telling the whole story, there's more to it than that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

That's not at all what i'm saying. All i'm saying is that stats based on shots are not necessarily telling the whole story, there's more to it than that

Almost everyone on this board who ever talks about this stuff knows this, and the ones who don't will not be convinced.

I just want to point out that since the time Zajac came back, our goalies have the worst HDSV% in the league, plus our PDO has gone down the tubes.