Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jagknife

GDT: Devils vs Rocky’s Largest Fan Club - 20 Jan - 1pm Eastern

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Steven M. said:

The year he's having is reminiscent of the Cory's first year, when they'd always lose with him but somehow win with Marty despite generally poor play. They have for the most part won in spite of him, Couldn't overcome it today.

I know we didn't have a choice with Cory ailing but there's enough adversity to deal with in rivalry games without having your backup give up an early goal (or three!) early as fvck. It can't happen. I don't care that there were some defensive lapses, this is every friggin game. He needs to make a big save every once in a while and get the team going.

Yeah, guess the best we can say is that they went 2-1 in these past three games with KK in net.  You saw my save% post re:  KK...you REALLY don't know what you're getting from him this season, but it's tended to be not good.  Happy for Appleby...not an easy spot to come into at all...held his own. 

Thank god my daughter had a piano recital today at 3:00.  Because if she didn't, I would've taken her to this game.  Then I would've seen that trainwreck of a first period.  And I would've driven home pissed off and cranky.  And my daughter would've seen me throwing a great big sh!tfit in the car on the ride home.  So at least there wasn't any of that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Correct!   2nd best goalie in the league next to future Hof'er Wedgewood.

Best save percentage in the history of hockey, best GAA too!!!

My favorite part of th3 game was when the emergency backup backup took his place on the bench and Cangialosi was basically like “Don’t know who the hell this fvcking guy is, but obviously he’s the emergency backup” as the guy sat there in full equipment with a Devils jersey on. Are you sure, Cangi??

Edited by mfitz804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Best save percentage in the history of hockey, best GAA too!!!

My favorite part of th3 game was when the emergency backup backup took his place on the bench and Cangialosi was basically like “Don’t know who the hell this fvcking guy is, but obviously he’s the emergency backup” as the guy sat there in full equipment with a Devils jersey on. Are you sure, Cangi??

can't pull the wool over his or Dano's eyes, two of the best in the biz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jagknife said:

Anton Khudobin is making the exact same and is a significantly better backup compared to Kinkiad. A price-tag argument has about as much weight as a plus-minus one. C'mon man!

My argument is that youre getting what you're paying for most of the time. Kinkaid is doing his best clearly, and its not enough now. Is it his fault or it's Shero's fault for only spending that much on a backup? I dont really have an opinion on that im just asking. And i mean how can you ignore a price-tag? Would you really judge Ovechkin not scoring for 10 games the same way as you'd judge Coleman not scoring for 10 games? No cause you have expectations on players based on their contract most of the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zajac has been driving me crazy lately. If he's here to be a defene-first center, should he really continue to be on the first unit PP? There have got to be better options, because I really think it goes beyond him being a nonfactor at this point. He's starting to subtract from the offense. I'm getting tired of the failed zone entries and wasted scoring chances that are seemingly becoming more and more frequent.

Also, if Stafford comes out again, does that break up the Wood-Zacha-Palmieri line? I think Hynes could be onto something with that one, so I really hope he finds a way to keep that one together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jagknife said:

Anton Khudobin is making the exact same and is a significantly better backup compared to Kinkiad. A price-tag argument has about as much weight as a plus-minus one. C'mon man!

In the three seasons prior to this one, Khudobin played in 59 games and put up a .902 save%.  KK played in 68 games and put a .912 save% in the same timeframe.

Backups are a tricky thing...part of the reason that they're backups is that they're not good enough or consistent enough to be reliable #1s, so expecting them to be consistent year in and year out is difficult.  We're all down on KK at the moment because he's clearly having his worst season so far, but assuming he continues to be as meh as he's been overall for the rest of this year, doesn't mean he won't come back and be better next year.  Assuming you could somehow swap Khodobin for KK in the offseason, there's not much guarantee that Khudobin would outperform KK in 2018-19. 

This being said, Shero seems like the kind of GM that will try to find an upgrade this offseason if KK turns in a poor season this year.  I don't believe that Shero would automatically just hope that KK bounces back next season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more concerned with the team's defensive breakdowns, their lack of tying sticks up in front of the net, and their overall clearing of the puck at times then all the goal-tending talk.  That is, in my opinion, a bigger issue that pops up in games that they lose.   Yes, the goal-tending needs to come up with a big save, but those mistakes and breakdowns can't be continually given up. On Provorov's goal, you just can't have a guy keep whacking at a puck like that without a tie-up, or a hit on him.  And that whole sequence could have been avoided with a good clear about 15 seconds earlier.

Because if your goalie is covering up the amount of mistakes and breakdowns that seem to plague this team in losses, then you're really not a good all around hockey team. That's a team riding a guy and those teams seem to kind of come back to the pack the next season, or their team play improves and they keep having some success.  This team has it's growing pains, and I just hope that they can stay consistent defensively as a team as the season forgers ahead.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

I'm more concerned with the team's defensive breakdowns, their lack of tying sticks up in front of the net, and their overall clearing of the puck at times then all the goal-tending talk.  That is, in my opinion, a bigger issue that pops up in games that they lose.   Yes, the goal-tending needs to come up with a big save, but those mistakes and breakdowns can't be continually given up. On Provorov's goal, you just can't have a guy keep whacking at a puck like that without a tie-up, or a hit on him.  And that whole sequence could have been avoided with a good clear about 15 seconds earlier.

Because if your goalie is covering up the amount of mistakes and breakdowns that seem to plague this team in losses, then you're really not a good all around hockey team. That's a team riding a guy and those teams seem to kind of come back to the pack the next season, or their team play improves and they keep having some success.  This team has it's growing pains, and I just hope that they can stay consistent defensively as a team as the season forgers ahead.  

its also winning a puck battle behind our net and gaining space.. forecheckers seem to get our men to cough up the puck or make a desperate pass way more than they should.. so many 2nd and 3rd possession handed right over

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

so many 2nd and 3rd possession handed right over

Yes sir.  Those are the plays that happen in games that have me screaming out loud and make me want to fill a drink from 3 fingers to a glass-full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else spend the game making bad Applebee’s puns? My daughter won the day when Ken was drinking from his water bottle and she asked “Do you think he gets free refills?”. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Did anyone else spend the game making bad Applebee’s puns? My daughter won the day when Ken was drinking from his water bottle and she asked “Do you think he gets free refills?”. 

I love a kid with a sense of humor...I get the feeling our daughters would crack each other up in each other's presence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I love a kid with a sense of humor...I get the feeling our daughters would crack each other up in each other's presence. 

Yeah I think you’re right. We’ll meet up one of these game days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×