Sign in to follow this  
Kinkyisth3b3st

PLAYOFFS: The "Don't Jinx It" Thread

14 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Im going down with the ship... AT LEAST FOR 3 MORE GAMES... its STILL ALIVE

Me too.  Like Bonginator said, I'm usually an optimist as well, and I'm definitely starting to have doubts, but I'm not giving up hope until it's over.  I mean, we knew this road trip was going to be tough, and we won three of them against some of the very best teams in the league.  It's not a huge surprise that we lost to Anaheim and San Jose on the tail end of this trip.  If we can win on Friday in regulation, Pittsburgh will only be 3 points ahead of us, putting them potentially in the mix of this giant Metro cluster.  We're 3-2 on this 6 game hellacious road trip, and I think everyone would have signed up for that a few weeks ago leading up to it.  So let's not throw in the towel just yet.  Three games ago we scored 8 goals on a really good team.  I think the frustrating thing is that you'd like to see more consistency out of this team.  The potential is there, they're just not reaching it every night, and part of it is because a lot of the guys are still pretty young (Bratt, Nico, Coleman, etc) or too old (Greene, Boyle, Stafford, etc).

We have to take it one game at a time.  We know we can't count on lady luck, and we really never could, so let's just win on Friday.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Im going down with the ship... AT LEAST FOR 3 MORE GAMES... its STILL ALIVE

It ain't over til it's over! LGD!

Edited by Henry Killinger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

This. Stop complaining about other teams winning. We put ourselves in this situation. It’s time to start digging out in NJ, literally and figuratively. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This. Stop complaining about other teams winning. We put ourselves in this situation. It’s time to start digging out in NJ, literally and figuratively. 

That's the sad part. We put ourselves in this position and now we're left to depend on the failure of other teams. We have nearly zero control over this situation.

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

That's the sad part. We put ourselves in this position and now we're left to depend on the failure of other teams. We have nearly zero control over this situation.

We could win out, I’d say that would get it done. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We could win out, I’d say that would get it done. 

We would have to go like 7-2 most likely. I don't see that happening so we still have to rely on PHI or FLA to start sputtering. Ergo, we have nearly zero control over our fate.

No control over our fate would imply that we go 9-0 and still not make it unless the other teams lose.

We still have control over our own destiny.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

No control over our fate would imply that we go 9-0 and still not make it unless the other teams lose.

We still have control over our own destiny.

That is incorrect.  Technically speaking, we do not control our own destiny anymore.  If we win out, we don't necessarily make the playoffs.  Florida could still win out as well, and they'd finish ahead of us.  Same can be said for Columbus and Philly.  We lost the right to "control our own fate" a few games ago.   

• Like 1

We lack COMPLETE control. But when we go 3-6 and we miss the playoffs, it’ll be our own fault.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

We lack COMPLETE control. But when we go 3-6 and we miss the playoffs, it’ll be our own fault.

It was out own fault a while ago when this team started resting on its laurels and we had Hynes perpetually playing KK, Boyle, Hayes etc. I look at the Wild game where we were up 2-0 as one of the bigger realizations that this team was coasting.

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Bingo.  At 3-6 or even 4-5 we probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

This season was a big win for us no matter what happens.  We actually are still playing meaningful games in the 3rd week of March.  Usually by the St. Patrick's Day game we are already starting to play out of the string.  We could lose the rest of the games and we still improved by 12 points which is a pretty nice improvement.  Quite frankly I would have been happy with a 6-8 point improvement so we are already ahead of the curve in my book.

Next year will be the big year when we finally get over that hump.

38 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo.  At 3-6 or even 4-5 we probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

This season was a big win for us no matter what happens.  We actually are still playing meaningful games in the 3rd week of March.  Usually by the St. Patrick's Day game we are already starting to play out of the string.  We could lose the rest of the games and we still improved by 12 points which is a pretty nice improvement.  Quite frankly I would have been happy with a 6-8 point improvement so we are already ahead of the curve in my book.

Next year will be the big year when we finally get over that hump.

Fingers crossed. Next year will be Hall's 8th season and he turns 27 in November. He's not going to have much of an appetite to play for a team that perennially misses the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Henry Killinger said:

over-was-it-over-when-the-germans-bombed

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This season was a big win for us no matter what happens. 

I strongly disagree. Not making it in will be a colossal failure. Shero's trades will be for naught, Maroon and Grabner will look elsewhere and Hall goes another disillusioned year without getting in. Carlson maybe thinks of signing somewhere else.  Even a four game sweep out is a million times better. 

Look at Ottawa, Conference FInal to being out. You just don't know how next year will go. Incredibly important getting in this year

Posted (edited)

lol someone actually said this season was a big win no matter what?  Yeah real big win when you choke away a playoff berth, find out you actually need a starting goalie in addition to other spots that have to be filled, and give up two second rounders, a third-rounder, a fourth rounder and Rykov...all for two rentals and one guy (Mueller) that can't get off the bench.

That's a lot of draft picks to pi** away for the good 'ol college try and I'm not even throwing in the additional 2 and 3 we gave up for Johansson who was a bust even when healthy this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol someone actually said this season was a big win no matter what?  Yeah real big win when you choke away a playoff berth and give up two second rounders, a third-rounder, a fourth rounder and Rykov...all for two rentals and one guy (Mueller) that can't get off the bench.

That's a lot of draft picks to pi** away for the good 'ol college try and I'm not even throwing in the additional 2 and 3 we gave up for Johansson who was a bust even when healthy this year.

So continue to cry about it in this thread, the KK is the best thread, the Cory sucks thread, the GDT, and every other thread.

I guess the Mets continued disappointments have warped your perceptions enough to make you have these tantrums.  Good lord and the irony is that you have accused me of being bitter many times in the past.  Pot meet kettle Hasan

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

At least I don't complain about and personally attack other posters on the board over and over again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least I don't complain about and personally attack other posters on the board time and again.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  How many times have you personally called me or others out?  How many times have you circled the wagons when one of your friends on here is getting hammered?

Again the pot calling the kettle black.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Fingers crossed. Next year will be Hall's 8th season and he turns 27 in November. He's not going to have much of an appetite to play for a team that perennially misses the playoffs.

Pretty sure Hall buys into the direction of the team. Not that I'm sure he'll stay, but I don't think he hates it here and I don't think he is blind to the fact that this team is young and has upcoming talent and is clearly going in the right direction with Shero. We'll see in 2 years I guess.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I strongly disagree. Not making it in will be a colossal failure. Shero's trades will be for naught, Maroon and Grabner will look elsewhere and Hall goes another disillusioned year without getting in. Carlson maybe thinks of signing somewhere else.  Even a four game sweep out is a million times better. 

Look at Ottawa, Conference FInal to being out. You just don't know how next year will go. Incredibly important getting in this year

Agreed. The opportunity is there right now. Saying next year or year after that isn't going to sit well with the players we want to keep, i.e. Hall.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Pretty sure Hall buys into the direction of the team. Not that I'm sure he'll stay, but I don't think he hates it here and I don't think he is blind to the fact that this team is young and has upcoming talent and is clearly going in the right direction with Shero. We'll see in 2 years I guess.

I see your point, but I'm pretty sure he heard the "we're headed in the right direction" talk in Edmonton. Like I wrote before, Hall is going to be 27 and in his 8th season. He hasn't gotten in the postseason once. He's not exactly going to be eager to re-sign if we miss the playoffs this year, next year and the year after. "Headed in the right direction" only goes so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I see your point, but I'm pretty sure he heard the "we're headed in the right direction" talk in Edmonton. Like I wrote before, Hall is going to be 27 and in his 8th season. He hasn't gotten in the postseason once. He's not exactly going to be eager to re-sign if we miss the playoffs this year, next year and the year after. "Headed in the right direction" only goes so far.

Well if we miss the playoffs next year in addition to this year that's a concern, after which Hall can officially re-sign (or turn down) an extension.  But if they don't make it this year, I don't think Shero's going to be stupid enough to sit on his hands and just replace Moore with Mirco Mueller and Maroon/Grabner with Quenneville/McLeod.  They should improve the team, of course how much they'll be able to improve it is debatable since they're suddenly kind of short on picks to trade and don't have a lot of spare prospects to deal off.

Edited by NJDevs4978

35 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well if we miss the playoffs next year in addition to this year that's a concern, after which Hall can officially re-sign (or turn down) an extension.  But if they don't make it this year, I don't think Shero's going to be stupid enough to sit on his hands and just replace Moore with Mirco Mueller and Maroon/Grabner with Quenneville/McLeod.  They should improve the team, of course how much they'll be able to improve it is debatable since they're suddenly kind of short on picks to trade and don't have a lot of spare prospects to deal off.

I'd rather keep Maroon for a slight overpayment next season than rely on Quenneville to become an immediate staple next season

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There’s enough talent in the pipeline to keep moving up in the right direction, but league parity makes you wonder when the playoff appearance will come if it doesn’t come this year as almost every team in the Metro could continue to improve too

Edited by PacificDevil

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I'd rather keep Maroon for a slight overpayment next season than rely on Quenneville to become an immediate staple next season

I think Maroon goes back to Edmonton. I wouldn't offer an overpayment on him. Those things always seem to blow up in our face. If Maroon leaves I hope Henrique comes back.