Sign in to follow this  
Kinkyisth3b3st

PLAYOFFS: The "Don't Jinx It" Thread

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

I think Maroon goes back to Edmonton. I wouldn't offer an overpayment on him. Those things always seem to blow up in our face. If Maroon leaves I hope Henrique comes back.

I'd slightly overpay because he's a big body and actually uses his damn size, unlike first-half Cinderella story that has returned to being invisible

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I see your point, but I'm pretty sure he heard the "we're headed in the right direction" talk in Edmonton. Like I wrote before, Hall is going to be 27 and in his 8th season. He hasn't gotten in the postseason once. He's not exactly going to be eager to re-sign if we miss the playoffs this year, next year and the year after. "Headed in the right direction" only goes so far.

We're already better than Edmonton though and the rebuild has been ''on'' for a much shorter time than in Edmonton. We're already a competitive team and I truly believe we make it next year if not this year. But we'll see. I'm fairly optimistic Hall will stay here long term with how things are going right now for the long term. But I see your point too.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

Hall said he adores the system here, its the first time he's feeling chemistry with other players, first time he's treated the way he is with the GM and coach etc etc the guy knows more than all of us and i'm sure he'll be bummed if we miss the playoffs but he can see the team is heading in the right direction. Nobody seem willing to realize this but we overachieved this season. We didnt have a roster to compete for the playoffs, we had tons of injuries, tons of badlucks and if we miss it it's not by far. 

Imagine Nico in the next few seasons. Bratt will get better too. Butcher will get better, Wood is still young and improving, Zacha showed signs that maybe he could be something etc etc at least we have something to look forward too. In Lou's day we had nothing. absolutely nothing to look at. Other than an old as sh!t team, slow, no skills and no prospects. 

This is encouraging guys

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I'd slightly overpay because he's a big body and actually uses his damn size, unlike first-half Cinderella story that has returned to being invisible

I'm with you he's been invisible and can't put the puck in the ocean, and he's still tied for 5th in goals for the season. Tied with Bratt, 3 behind Nico and 4 behind Wood.  Just not good.

I would bet the house Hall isn't going anywhere.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Hall said he adores the system here, its the first time he's feeling chemistry with other players, first time he's treated the way he is with the GM and coach etc etc the guy knows more than all of us and i'm sure he'll be bummed if we miss the playoffs but he can see the team is heading in the right direction. Nobody seem willing to realize this but we overachieved this season. We didnt have a roster to compete for the playoffs, we had tons of injuries, tons of badlucks and if we miss it it's not by far. 

Imagine Nico in the next few seasons. Bratt will get better too. Butcher will get better, Wood is still young and improving, Zacha showed signs that maybe he could be something etc etc at least we have something to look forward too. In Lou's day we had nothing. absolutely nothing to look at. Other than an old as sh!t team, slow, no skills and no prospects. 

This is encouraging guys

Old as sh!t team, slow, no skills, no prospects and only retreads from days/cups gone by and other high risk mid-to-low rewards.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol someone actually said this season was a big win no matter what?  Yeah real big win when you choke away a playoff berth, find out you actually need a starting goalie in addition to other spots that have to be filled, and give up two second rounders, a third-rounder, a fourth rounder and Rykov...all for two rentals and one guy (Mueller) that can't get off the bench.

That's a lot of draft picks to pi** away for the good 'ol college try and I'm not even throwing in the additional 2 and 3 we gave up for Johansson who was a bust even when healthy this year.

The Flyers went 10-0-1 not too long ago, though they're only 3-6-2 since.

The BJs have won 9 in a row (but had only gone 5-9-2 prior).

The Panthers have obviously been getting it done for a while now, going 18-5-1. 

The Devils have gone 10-8 in their last 18, and contrary to popular belief, HAVE managed to win some tough games...as in the first three of this road trip.  It's not like the Devils been awful as a whole, as much as three teams managed to all get insanely hot. 

The choking crap is not accurate...if the Devils had gone, say 5-12-1 and not 10-8, you might have a better case for that argument...three teams all going crazy for extended stretches doesn't equate to the fourth team choking.  I don't consider a team that goes into Nashville, Vegas, and LA and wins those games (even if a little good fortune was involved) a bunch of chokers.  And now second-guessing everything because things aren't working out for the Devils AT THIS MOMENT (they're not dead yet) is really unfair.  I like that Shero tried to back this team up, and the deadline moves could still be a factor.  You can't throw big sh!tfits in multiple threads about potentially not making the playoffs and then jump all over Shero for trying to do what he could to get the Devils over the hump.  Shero tried, and at the time most fans were on board with the deadline moves.  And you're assuming that Shero won't re-sign at least one of Grabner and Maroon.   

Not sure how you can really evaluate Johansson based on being and out of the lineup either.  It sucks that he's missed so many games, but it's not like that's his history...in the prior four seasons combined he missed just 10 games.  He still has another year left on his deal...hopefully he can come back from the concussions.   

EDIT:  I WILL give you this...though I think this year represented a solid step forward in a lot of ways, I will admit that there are some concerns.  Mueller and Santini not sticking is a bit disappointing, as was Bratt cooling off so significantly (hopefully that's a result of his needing to adjust to the NHL).  Hopefully Johansson's career isn't over due to concussions.  And of course, I pray that Cory can be fixed, because I don't see what Shero can do with him.  Four more years and $24 million.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Flyers went 10-0-1 not too long ago, though they're only 3-6-2 since.

The BJs have won 9 in a row (but had only gone 5-9-2 prior).

The Panthers have obviously been getting it done for a while now, going 18-5-1. 

The Devils have gone 10-8 in their last 18, and contrary to popular belief, HAVE managed to win some tough games...as in the first three of this road trip.  It's not like the Devils been awful as a whole, as much as three teams managed to all get insanely hot. 

The choking crap is not accurate...if the Devils had gone, say 5-12-1 and not 10-8, you might have a better case for that argument...three teams all going crazy for extended stretches doesn't equate to the fourth team choking.  I don't consider a team that goes into Nashville, Vegas, and LA and wins those games (even if a little good fortune was involved) a bunch of chokers.  And now second-guessing everything because things aren't working out for the Devils AT THIS MOMENT (they're not dead yet) is really unfair.  I like that Shero tried to back this team up, and the deadline moves could still be a factor.  You can't throw big sh!tfits in multiple threads about potentially not making the playoffs and then jump all over Shero for trying to do what he could to get the Devils over the hump.  Shero tried, and at the time most fans were on board with the deadline moves.  And you're assuming that Shero won't re-sign at least one of Grabner and Maroon.   

Not sure how you can really evaluate Johansson based on being and out of the lineup either.  It sucks that he's missed so many games, but it's not like that's his history...in the prior four seasons combined he missed just 10 games.  He still has another year left on his deal...hopefully he can come back from the concussions.   

EDIT:  I WILL give you this...though I think this year represented a solid step forward in a lot of ways, I will admit that there are some concerns.  Mueller and Santini not sticking is a bit disappointing, as was Bratt cooling off so significantly (hopefully that's a result of his needing to adjust to the NHL).  Hopefully Johansson's career isn't over due to concussions.  And of course, I pray that Cory can be fixed, because I don't see what Shero can do with him.  Four more years and $24 million.   

They have been a bunch of chokers as of late. The only person who shows up consistently is Hall and to a lesser extent, Zajac. As a matter of fact, the Devils have been sh!tting the bed for a while now. Look at the losses to MIN, FLA and CAR.

12 hours ago, titans04 said:

I'm with you he's been invisible and can't put the puck in the ocean, and he's still tied for 5th in goals for the season. Tied with Bratt, 3 behind Nico and 4 behind Wood.  Just not good.

I would bet the house Hall isn't going anywhere.

I'll bet you 5 bucks that Hall is gone when his contract runs out.

8 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

To both parties, $5 vs. a house is not a fair bet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

They have been a bunch of chokers as of late. The only person who shows up consistently is Hall and to a lesser extent, Zajac. As a matter of fact, the Devils have been sh!tting the bed for a while now. Look at the losses to MIN, FLA and CAR.

So basically you cherry-pick the losses and ignore the wins to force a narrative.  Sorry, 10-8-0 in 18 games is not sh!tting the bed or choking.  Other guys have "shown up" too (Palms and Nico have both been putting up points).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So basically you cherry-pick the losses and ignore the wins to force a narrative.  Sorry, 10-8-0 in 18 games is not sh!tting the bed or choking.  Other guys have "shown up" too (Palms and Nico have both been putting up points).

fvck, I meant to write Palms, not Zajac.

Posted (edited)

Well I’ll admit that record sounds better than I would have thought but 10-8 in 18 goes to 6-8 in the last 14 and two of those wins were LA where they were vastly outplayed and Montreal’s AHL team. I’m also not expecting much out of this weekend but really it’s time to make a stand now.

I mean to be fair maybe this is just what they are till further notice, a .500 team since the first three weeks of the season that blows leads left and right. Especially with questionable goaltending which it is now.

btw I wasn’t so much second guessing the rental trades as I was making a point that management obviously was expecting more by late February than to just come up short of the postseason by making those deals. Shero isn’t sitting there thinking well maybe we’ll have meaningful games in late March. He made those deals to get meaningful games in April. I do second guess the Mueller trade but I wasn’t that high on it to begin with and to be fair that was done before we lucked into Butcher.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well I’ll admit that record sounds better than I would have thought but 10-8 in 18 goes to 6-8 in the last 14 and two of those wins were LA where they were vastly outplayed and Montreal’s AHL team. I’m also not expecting much out of this weekend but really it’s time to make a stand now.

I mean to be fair maybe this is just what they are till further notice, a .500 team since the first three weeks of the season. Especially with questionable goaltending which it is now.

They started off 22-9-5, they're 15-19-3 since.  The truth of what they are is probably somewhere in between, though Cory both missing time AND falling completely off a cliff has hurt a lot (as did KK struggling earlier).  KK getting hot when he did has helped to stabilize things...and of course, Hall finding ways to get his points no matter what helped too. 

You can point out that the Devils were outplayed in LA (and by the Preds too), but they've also lost games where they outplayed the opposition.  I'd say 10-8 in their last 18 probably isn't far off from what they should be. 

Part of the problem is that 22-9-5 blew up everyone's expectations.  It was never really supposed to be about 2017-18.  I would love this team to make the playoffs as much as anyone, and I'm really hopeful that they find one last little run in them and pull it off (or the other red-hots finally cool off a little)...but let's face it, based on what we're seeing right now, can this team really be expected to win more than a game or two if they DO get in?  Like I said, doesn't mean that I don't want to see them find a way to clinch a berth, more that another Shero offseason to make improvements might not be the worst thing in the world at this point.  This team has continually found a way to pull out some wins just when almost everyone's ready to right them off, but they just don't look ready for the playoffs.  Some would say playoff experience would be great, but in a way I think some guys are getting some valuable experience NOW, as far as trying to get through a stretch drive in a tight playoff chase goes. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They started off 22-9-5, they're 15-19-3 since.  The truth of what they are is probably somewhere in between, though Cory both missing time AND falling completely off a cliff has hurt a lot (as did KK struggling earlier).  KK getting hot when he did has helped to stabilize things...and of course, Hall finding ways to get his points no matter what helped too. 

You can point out that the Devils were outplayed in LA (and by the Preds too), but they've also lost games where they outplayed the opposition.  I'd say 10-8 in their last 18 probably isn't far off from what they should be. 

Part of the problem is that 22-9-5 blew up everyone's expectations.  It was never really supposed to be about 2017-18.  I would love this team to make the playoffs as much as anyone, and I'm really hopeful that they find one last little run in them and pull it off (or the other red-hots finally cool off a little)...but let's face it, based on what we're seeing right now, can this team really be expected to win more than a game or two if they DO get in?  Like I said, doesn't mean that I don't want to see them find a way to clinch a berth, more that another Shero offseason to make improvements might not be the worst thing in the world at this point.  This team has continually found a way to pull out some wins just when almost everyone's ready to right them off, but they just don't look ready for the playoffs.  Some would say playoff experience would be great, but in a way I think some guys are getting some valuable experience NOW, as far as trying to get through a stretch drive in a tight playoff chase goes. 

In this day and age any of the 16 teams that make playoffs can reasonably expect to win a couple of rounds 

Edited by PacificDevil

1 minute ago, PacificDevil said:

In this day and age any of the 16 teams that make playoffs can reasonably expect to win a couple of rounds 

Sounds great, but the Devils just don't look like a team that's ready to make noise just yet, especially with Schneider looking like he won't be a positive on the ice for the rest of this year.  I think if they were a tough out for a team like Tampa (say six games), they accomplished a lot. 

3 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

deal.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'll bet you $5 that if Hall signs an extension, you'll complain about the color of ink in the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have liked this 1,000 times if possible. I really do appreciate stuff like this in forums.

plus, 100% accurate. Not directed at CF himself, but I imagine that complaint something like:

”What the fvck, why would they give him a blue pen, contracts should be signed in black. If we don’t start giving Hall a black pen, he’s never going to stay here, he’ll demand a trade to a team that has nothing but black pens. Cory sucks, fire Hynes, Boyle is useless.”

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'll bet you $5 that if Hall signs an extension, you'll complain about the color of ink in the pen.

Yeah. With this fanbase... Hall signs an extension and doesn't score in the first 2 games the same fans will want him burning on a cross. 

And i'm legit not kidding. I 100% expect this based on some comments ive read here

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah. With this fanbase... Hall signs an extension and doesn't score in the first 2 games the same fans will want him burning on a cross. 

And i'm legit not kidding. I 100% expect this based on some comments ive read here

I literally will pay you money to find me an example of someone “wanting to burn Hall on a cross” since he’s been traded here. 

Your posts are unbearable.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I literally will pay you money to find me an example of someone “wanting to burn Hall on a cross” since he’s been traded here. 

Your posts are unbearable.

Man for someone who diss litterally everyone all the time you're really weak at taking any heat lol

and that's your thing uh? throwing money at things? Like making sure the whole board knows every time you're donating money. So that it somehow makes sense when you're wishing cancer or death or injuries to people without getting banned? lol

Let it raiinnnnnnnnnn

but on to the subject. Yeah. We've seen it just recently. Some poster (you especially) would have paid to get KK deported (and you out of all people used all the nastiest way of saying you didnt want him around anymore) and get Schneider back. Now he's back and it's just the opposite and you say the same thing about Schneider. Orrrrrrr you wanted 6 pts in the road trip. You got it in the first 3 games and back at bashing the team 2 games later. If you can't understand how mentally unstable you are dude it's not my problem haha

You can hate people's opinions dude. But what sucks in this case is that im just stating facts and they points right at you and you can't deny it and it drives you nuts

You'll whine that you can say wtv you want on this board cause you donated and all of that. But then you'll rip in MB every time he makes his recap posts cause you find it annoying or wtv. What's more annoying? someone giving his recap and view of the game or you posting every 10 seconds for the whole game (75 posts per game average) lettings us know how much you hate a specific player..... and then call other people broken records lol the irony around you is magnificent. lol Like do you REALLY think you're not annoying to other people here at times? lol seriously?

Basically a good look in the mirror wouldnt hurt too much

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

So do we think that if Joey Anderson and Jeremy Davies sign once their seasons are over, do either of them play in the NHL and are either of them good enough now to actually help the team win?

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course!

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Remember the Kovy puck rolling off his stick in the shootout against Buffalo. It was bad enough he took forever to get going that year but oh man was it a bloodbath after that puck went casually and harmlessly into the corner

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So do we think that if Joey Anderson and Jeremy Davies sign once their seasons are over, do either of them play in the NHL and are either of them good enough now to actually help the team win?

Unfortunately I bet UMD does work and Anderson doesn’t make it in time 

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Remember the Kovy puck rolling off his stick in the shootout against Buffalo. It was bad enough he took forever to get going that year but oh man was it a bloodbath after that puck went casually and harmlessly into the corner

yep, there were at least two of his jersey's that hit the ice a few sections over from us.