Sign in to follow this  
Kinkyisth3b3st

PLAYOFFS: The "Don't Jinx It" Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marshall said:

The thing-doing is intensifying.

The last time you said that they went on a three game losing streak.

If they go on a 3-game losing streak, I'm going to find you. 

Edited by Martyisth3b3st
  • Like 1

First time I have felt comfortable in a long while...

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean it's funny to laugh at our own (or other) fatalistic posts from a few weeks back now while still having a tough schedule looming when the OOT scoreboard went to crap for weeks and the Panthers were winning two games a day seemingly but really did ANYone believe in this team before the season?  If you thought this team was going to make the playoffs coming into 2017-18 in a stacked Metro after a 70-point season only adding a bunch of role players and rookies - albeit talented ones - you were a rare wild-eyed optomist that now looks prophetic.

And like you yourself said in the other thread it's not exactly over yet.  A couple steps away to be sure, but not time for crow serving just yet.

As of now though the Devils have done what they needed to do.  They're only in good position cause they've gone 8-2-1 in this stretch where even the optomists thought we'd be doing well to be .500.

I gotta admit, some of you fatalists were really getting to be hard to take after a while...it got to the point that ANY losses had me dreading going into the GDTs.  This board has never been great at taking losses in stride.  

I did think Florida would cool off, and they did.  

This being said, if someone had told me:

1) Schneider would go winless in 2018

2) Bratt would completely disappear to the point that I think he may be seeing time with Bingo next year

3) MoJo would be out for more than half the season

4) Santini would be banished to the AHL

5) Greene would be frightening more often than not

6) Lovejoy would get a lot of playing time

I NEVER would've expected the Devils to be where they are on 4/2.  I wouldn't have dreamed such a thing could be possible.  Schneider being both injured and completely ineffective would've meant Armageddon to me in any scenario.  I remain blown away by what this team has done.  We had this team making the playoffs if almost everything broke RIGHT.  Plenty didn't.  And they overcame so much to get this far.  I can't say enough about them.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Schneider being both injured and completely ineffective would've meant Armageddon to me in any scenario. 

That's part of why everyone was so negative though.  Nobody was expecting KK to give us two months of what we were hoping for from Cory before he went to sh!t.  Especially the KK from the first four months of the season.

And the last five years as a Devils fan has just been miserable on and off the ice with the contreversy and upheaval (Kovalchuk, Parise, Cory/Marty, Lou's firing, ownership issues, another NHL lockout), it's felt like ten.  Missing the playoffs after being so far in front and trading futures at the deadline would have just added more misery on top of all that.  I'd be truly glad if this team could get it done and finally put all that behind us as a fanbase and organization.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Did we ever dip below 50% of making the Playoffs?  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's part of why everyone was so negative though.  Nobody was expecting KK to give us two months of what we were hoping for from Cory before he went to sh!t.  Especially the KK from the first four months of the season.

And the last five years as a Devils fan has just been miserable on and off the ice with the contreversy and upheaval (Kovalchuk, Parise, Cory/Marty, Lou's firing, ownership issues, another NHL lockout), it's felt like ten.  Missing the playoffs after being so far in front and trading futures at the deadline would have just added more misery on top of all that.  I'd be truly glad if this team could get it done and finally put all that behind us as a fanbase and organization.

I did have hope that Cory would get back on track...that's what kept me off the ledge...that, and the fact that the Devils never surrendered their playoff position.  Fortunately KK made Cory ever figuring himself out in 2018 a complete non-issue.  

I could understand the nerves...what I really didn't like was people implying that they were chokers, weren't showing up, etc.  Also didn't like people giving up on the Devils if they fell behind by a goal or two.  Any given team can look like sh!t at times (especially when they're tired) but I never thought that they weren't trying.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

We did for a day or 2

this team has been beyond fun to watch. Haven't been this excited about hockey in a long time, I'm sure we can all relate to that feeling right now. With that said, does anyone know the deal with the playoff ticket strips? Can you purchase them round by round or do you have to front up all the money for the entire post season? I tried doing a chat with a ticket rep but it didn't connect and I really don't want them calling me and sending me emails about buying season tickets on a weekly basis.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also didn't like people giving up on the Devils if they fell behind by a goal or two.  Any given team can look like sh!t at times (especially when they're tired) but I never thought that they weren't trying.

If anything they play better down a goal or two as opposed to up a goal or two :P

1 hour ago, eaglejelly said:

We did for a day or 2

Had to be, we 'didn't control our own destiny' for a few days.  THAT hand-wringing I thought was a little much considering the number of games still left.  Sure there were points where it looked like they were going to crash and burn but the hangup on controlling your own destiny when still up on points and having ten games left was silly.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

The season isn't over. They need to finish strong. Will be paying close attention to the Panthers game tonight. What are our chances of making the playoffs now? Just curious

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If anything they play better down a goal or two as opposed to up a goal or two :P

Had to be, we 'didn't control our own destiny' for a few days.  THAT hand-wringing I thought was a little much considering the number of games still left.  Sure there were points where it looked like they were going to crash and burn but the hangup on controlling your own destiny when still up on points and having ten games left was silly.

Yeah, the "destiny control" crap was really hard to take at that point.  The idea that any of the teams were going to run the table with that many games left was just silly.  You don't see many 9-0-0 or 10-0-0 runs in the NHL.

39 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

The season isn't over. They need to finish strong. Will be paying close attention to the Panthers game tonight. What are our chances of making the playoffs now? Just curious

• Sports Club Stats - 95.90%
  • Hockey Viz - 92.00%
  • Money Puck - 96.27%
  • Hockey Reference - 95.90%
  • Playoff Status - 97.00%

Average - 95.41%   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

We were <50% from 3/21 to 3/24. Here's a graph (not made by me)

7y0PODo.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:
  • Sports Club Stats - 95.90%
  • Hockey Viz - 92.00%
  • Money Puck - 96.27%
  • Hockey Reference - 95.90%
  • Playoff Status - 97.00%

Average - 95.41%   

I find it unlucky to comment on this beyond saying those numbers are awfully close to 100%. 

This has been a rollercoaster ride!!  This team is as streaky a team as I can remember, we go from 4 or 5 game win streaks  to 3 or 4 game losing streaks in the blink of an eye, and visa versa!!

And Hasan is right, I've been more comfortable in the 1st & 2nd period when the Devsr  losing than winning lately, this team definitely never gives up

• Like 1

The Devils currently have a 100% chance at making the playoffs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

YESSSSSSSSSSS!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Image result for YES YES YES GIFImage result for YES YES YES GIF

Image result for YES YES YES GIFImage result for YES YES YES GIF

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

The last time you said that they went on a three game losing streak.

If they go on a 3-game losing streak, I'm going to find you. 

Looks like you won't have to find me!

• Like 2

The hunt is not over. 

For the Devils to finish Second in the Metro (Home Ice)

Case 1
      Devils beat the Capitals, and
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators, and
      Penguins lose to the Senators in regulation

Case 2
      Devils beat the Capitals in regulation or OT, and
      Penguins lose to the Senators in regulation, and
      Blue Jackets beat the Predators in a shootout

For the Devils to finish at least Third in the Metro (avoid washington / boston / tampa)

Case 1
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4
      Devils lose to the Capitals in OT or in a shootout, and
      Flyers lose to the Rangers, and
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators in regulation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The hunt is not over. 

For the Devils to finish Second in the Metro (Home Ice)

Case 1
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators, and

Case 2
      Penguins lose to the Senators in regulation, and

For the Devils to finish at least Third in the Metro (avoid washington / boston / tampa)

Case 1
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4
      Devils lose to the Capitals in OT or in a shootout, and
      Flyers lose to the Rangers, and
      Blue Jackets lose to the Predators in regulation

This is all great, but at this point, fvck it, we're in, just tell me what happens.