Brad Marchand Suspended 5 Games

msweet

The NHL suspended Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand five games for his elbow on New Jersey Devils winger Marcus Johansson in Boston's 3-2 win Tuesday, the NHL's Department of Player Safety announcedWednesday. 

In the video explaining its decision, the NHL said Marchand's elbow to the head of Johansson was "not a defensive maneuver" and that during the course of the play he "lunges both up and into Johansson, while swinging his elbow forward through Johansson's head."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755840-brad-marchand-suspended-5-games-for-hit-to-head-of-marcus-johansson

Here's the NHL Video Explanation

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2018/01/25/nj-devils-kyle-palmieri-calls-bruins-brad-marchands-ice-behavior-unacceptable-suspension/1066854001/

few quotes in there.

They are playing the Bruins on February 11th. I want to see multiple guys going for Marchand all game long. I want him to feel threatened the whole game. 

I don't even care that we win or lose that game.

15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2018/01/25/nj-devils-kyle-palmieri-calls-bruins-brad-marchands-ice-behavior-unacceptable-suspension/1066854001/

few quotes in there.

They are playing the Bruins on February 11th. I want to see multiple guys going for Marchand all game long. I want him to feel threatened the whole game. 

I don't even care that we win or lose that game.

Hah. Right. No, I'm afraid you'll see just the opposite.  The Bruins will come to the Rock and bully the Devils players all night long and the Devils won't do sh!t because they're led by Mr. Milktoast from behind the bench who doesn't believe in rough play or retribution.

Edited by slasher72

7 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Hah. Right. No, I'm afraid you'll see just the opposite.  The Bruins will come to the Rock and bully the Devils players all night long and the Devils won't do sh!t because they're led by Mr. Milktoast from behind the bench who doesn't believe in rough play or retribution.

Give this narrative a rest.  Hynes is better than that.

Having said that, this Devils team is in that transition spot where they're going to learn that it's not just points and wins that they have to fight for.  They're fighting for respect too, and though they've earned some degree of it from their opponents, they need to fight for more of it.  Refs have made too many questionable calls against them, when they're not missing obvious penalties altogether.  Opposing teams are taking more liberties against them than I'd like to see. 

The days of 300-400 penalty-minutes Slapshot craziness are indeed a thing of the past, as mfitz accurately stated in another thread, but that doesn't mean that you don't eventually fight back.  Marchant has to suffer some degree of retribution, especially since the NHL can't seem to figure out that Marchand being suspended for what amounts to a handful of games or slapping him with a pocket-change fine has yet to deter this guy from being the dirty piece of sh!t that he is. 

I do think Hynes has done a number of things very well this season (especially from a player accountability standpoint), but I want to see legit, over-the-top anger the next time his team gets screwed...if he ever gets tossed from a game, so be it, but the "That's bullsh!t", then look pissed for a few minutes approach isn't getting his team anywhere.  And I'd also like to see the players stick up for each other more often...they do have it in them and I've seen them do it, but I need to see MORE of it. 

I feel that the next game against the Bruins can go a long way towards starting to earn that respect.  Like SD said, though I don't think the Devils will be in the position that they can give two points away in any given game, that's one game that I think can be valuable to the growth of the team in an entirely different way.  I don't need to see them win that night.  I need to see them fight, nail people, simply let everyone know that we're not going to take it anymore.  That they're capable of playing angry and with a chip.  If someone tries to do anything to Hall (who if he's playing will become a marked man), make him pay.  The NHL doesn't respect the Devils, and their opponents do to an extent, but not enough.  Go out and MAKE them respect you.  It can be a sh!tty part of the growing part of the building process, but it needs to be done.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Coaches don't get thrown out of games in the NHL, they get unsportsmanlike penalties.  Hynes has taken many penalties since becoming the coach and since those penalties usually come when your team has already been penalized, it's not smart to take them.  I don't understand what yelling at one official is going to do - are all the officials gonna talk about what a tough guy Hynes is to deal with when you get on his bad side?   Are they going to talk to Toronto during a video review and say 'Hey guys, let's give one to Hynes here, otherwise he might yell at us'.

It's fun to see a manager get thrown out of a game in baseball, but there's no actual penalty for that - it's all a big show and it's part of the ritual of the game.  A coach taking an unsportsmanlike penalty has real consequences on the ice.  It's cathartic to see the coach get as mad as you are about things, but I don't think it's very productive.

Edited by Triumph

Having said that, this Devils team in that transition spot where they're going to learn that they it's not just points and wins that they have to fight for.  They're fighting for respect too, and though they've earned some degree of it from their opponents, they need to fight for more of it.  Refs have made too many questionable calls against them, when they're not missing obvious penalties altogether.  Opposing teams are taking more liberties against them than I'd like to see. 

The days of 300-400 penalty-minutes Slapshot craziness are indeed a thing of the past, as mfitz accurately stated in another thread, but that doesn't mean that you don't eventually fight back.  Marchant has to suffer some degree of retribution, especially since the NHL can't seem to figure out that Marchand being suspended for what amounts to a handful of games or slapping him with a pocket-change fine has yet to deter this guy from being the dirty piece of sh!t that he is. 

I do think Hynes has done a number of things very well this season (especially from a player accountability standpoint), but I want to see legit, over-the-top anger the next time his team gets screwed...if he ever gets tossed from a game, so be it, but the "That's bullsh!t", then look pissed for a few minutes approach isn't getting his team anywhere.  And I'd also like to see the players stick up for each other more often...they do have it in them and I've seen them do it, but I need to see MORE of it. 

I feel that the next game against the Bruins can go a long way towards starting to earn that respect.  Like SD said, though I don't think the Devils will be in the position that they can give two points away in any given game, that's one game that I think can be valuable to the growth of the team in an entirely different way.  I don't need to see them win that night.  I need to see them fight, nail people, simply let everyone know that we're not going to take it anymore.  That they're capable of playing angry and with a chip.  If someone tries to do anything to Hall (who if he's playing will become a marked man), make him pay.  The NHL doesn't respect the Devils, and their opponents do to an extent, but not enough.  Go out and MAKE them respect you.  It can be a sh!tty part of the growing part of the building process, but it needs to be done.

I agree with every last word in this post, except your first point about Hynes being 'better than this'. I don't think he is. I think this is who he is. He'll look pissed for 10 seconds, thinks about that stupid fine, and amazingly calms right down. I'm not saying he needs to be Torts... But some anger in times like this would be nice, to say the absolute least. You can see the team has taken on the cardboard box personality of its coach, and that's something I just can't abide at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Coaches don't get thrown out of games in the NHL, they get unsportsmanlike penalties.  Hynes has taken many penalties since becoming the coach and since those penalties usually come when your team has already been penalized, it's not smart to take them.  I don't understand what yelling at one official is going to do - are all the officials gonna talk about what a tough guy Hynes is to deal with when you get on his bad side?   Are they going to talk to Toronto during a video review and say 'Hey guys, let's give one to Hynes here, otherwise he might yell at us'.
It's fun to see a manager get thrown out of a game in baseball, but there's no actual penalty for that - it's all a big show and it's part of the ritual of the game.  A coach taking an unsportsmanlike penalty has real consequences on the ice.  It's cathartic to see the coach get as mad as you are about things, but I don't think it's very productive.

It's not productive when it's CONSTANT (see Tortorella). But once in a while? Like, when the team is getting boned on what seems like a nightly basis? Yeah, I'd like a little more fire, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I can't really argue with any of the above, if I'm going full Vulcan and pure logic, and yeah, in the moment it might technically not do a whole lot of good and if anything, could indeed hurt the team on the ice.  But just once I guess I would like to see a truly over-the-top "God-fvcking-dammit I've had enough and I'm so friggin' pissed that I'm losing myself in this moment, circumstances be damned!" over the "Well I guess we just gotta try to stay calm and take it, what good is getting upset going to do about it?" 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's not productive when it's CONSTANT (see Tortorella). But once in a while? Like, when the team is getting boned on what seems like a nightly basis? Yeah, I'd like a little more fire, sorry.

Agree in that you become a joke very quickly when you're constantly losing your sh!t.  I get where Tri's coming from, but I really just want to see Hynes just blow his top.  I think it's warranted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's not productive.  Yelling at the officials and taking a penalty for it - all it does is give the team a reason to lose.  Making public comments about officials doesn't make anything better except that the coach acknowledges and agrees with how angry you, the fan, are about the calls.  You think the coach, whose job depends on wins and losses, doesn't care enough?

76:  I think the coach losing it sets a bad example for the players, who actually have to play the game with lots of emotion - the coach is supposed to be calmer than them.  The players are supposed to use their emotions productively ('fvck them, let's score and win this damn thing anyway'), but the coach really doesn't have a ton of use for them besides exhorting the players to do better.  Now remember last year where the Penguins got a penalty shot and then Hall was hooked in exactly the same way and they called it a 2 minute penalty?  Hynes refused to send his players out for the faceoff and took a penalty.  Hey, I loved it, fvck the officials, they blew the call and they should know that.  And the Devils were in the middle of a sh!t season and they lost that game and many more besides.  But this is real now.

Edited by Triumph

It's not productive.  Yelling at the officials and taking a penalty for it - all it does is give the team a reason to lose.  Making public comments about officials doesn't make anything better except that the coach acknowledges and agrees with how angry you, the fan, are about the calls.  You think the coach, whose job depends on wins and losses, doesn't care enough?

I agree it's not productive when a coach does it ALL THE TIME. But it's not a bad thing for a coach to stick up for his damn team every once in a while. Now is one of those times IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree it's not productive when a coach does it ALL THE TIME. But it's not a bad thing for a coach to stick up for his damn team every once in a while. Now is one of those times IMO.

I'm sure that the players know where Hynes stands on the officials.  That doesn't mean that the public has to know.

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree with every last word in this post, except your first point about Hynes being 'better than this'. I don't think he is. I think this is who he is. He'll look pissed for 10 seconds, thinks about that stupid fine, and amazingly calms right down. I'm not saying he needs to be Torts... But some anger in times like this would be nice, to say the absolute least. You can see the team has taken on the cardboard box personality of its coach, and that's something I just can't abide at all.

As far as that goes with Hynes...I see him as being in a growth process, with the rest of the team.  I don't know yet if he is going to be the guy who's still here as the Devils (hopefully) become perennial playoff participants, or if he'll be the guy who the team outgrows as they get better.  I'm optimistic it's the former, I really am...I do see things about him that I like.  He was in a different place in his first two years on the job then he is now, and I think enough of him that I want to see how he evolves with these Devils. 

As far as that goes with Hynes...I see him as being in a growth process, with the rest of the team.  I don't know yet if he is going to be the guy who's still here as the Devils (hopefully) become perennial playoff participants, or if he'll be the guy who the team outgrows as they get better.  I'm optimistic it's the former, I really am...I do see things about him that I like.  He was in a different place in his first two years on the job then he is now, and I think enough of him that I want to see how he evolves with these Devils. 

He's done a better job this year, and he's pressed the right buttons most of the time this season too, but I'm not convinced he'll be the coach when this team is ready to compete. All I'm gonna say is if Chicago is stupid enough to fire Joel Quenneville (which I HIGHLY doubt they are, but there have been rumblings about it being a possibility if they miss the playoffs), Shero better move heaven and earth to get him here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Having said that, this Devils team in that transition spot where they're going to learn that they it's not just points and wins that they have to fight for.  They're fighting for respect too, and though they've earned some degree of it from their opponents, they need to fight for more of it.  Refs have made too many questionable calls against them, when they're not missing obvious penalties altogether.  Opposing teams are taking more liberties against them than I'd like to see. 

If we don't see anger or retribution for hits against Hall or Hischier in this next game on 2/11 then something is wrong. Like others have mentioned, and as you've mentioned (and I agree with you), sooner or later they have to fight back. At least to earn respect, they have to at least do that. The NHL is sh!tting all over them lately with these ridiculous calls and non-calls because they don't take the Devils seriously; and yes if Marchand does that to Crosby it would be headline news. The Devils must take an "us vs. them" attitude against their opponents and the refs and support each other a lot more. Doing so will build cohesiveness and a brotherhood in the locker room. No more of this "well, it's a fast game and bad calls are just part of it, everyone makes mistakes" bullsh!t. If a ref blows a call, call him out for it or at least show some anger and use it as motivation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He's done a better job this year, and he's pressed the right buttons most of the time this season too, but I'm not convinced he'll be the coach when this team is ready to compete. All I'm gonna say is if Chicago is stupid enough to fire Joel Quenneville (which I HIGHLY doubt they are, but there have been rumblings about it being a possibility if they miss the playoffs), Shero better move heaven and earth to get him here.

God that would be amazing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Triumph said:

How about for once ripping them in the postgame and taking the fine?  He never does that either.  That has no on-ice consequences but it can also go to show we aren't taking this **** anymore.  There's a reason coaches like Tortorella and Laviolette constantly work the refs, they would have blown a freaking gasket with half the stuff that's happened to us in the last month.  Heck, we mock the crowd in Montreal always crying about the refs on every little thing but boy it does seem to have an effect with the calls they get there.

But it's not just up to the coach, the coach shouldn't have to tell players it's time to draw a line in the sand and stand up for your teammates.  Far too long this team's been unaware over things that happened at the time and then never did anything about it afterwards.  I don't want to hear it's a close game we can't risk an unsportsmanlike or retaliatory penalty excuse when these non-calls are ALREADY affecting us in close games!  And the constant unchecked dirty play by opponents is also putting players on the IR.  You don't have to take a retaliatory penalty to respond...target guys on their next shift and wipe them out legally if you can.  The bot approach of never responding may work in theory but the human factor comes into play after a while over a long regular season.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

How about for once ripping them in the postgame and taking the fine?  He never does that either.  That has no on-ice consequences but it can also go to show we aren't taking this **** anymore.  There's a reason coaches like Tortorella and Laviolette constantly work the refs, they would have blown a freaking gasket with half the stuff that's happened to us in the last month.  Heck, we mock the crowd in Montreal always crying about the refs on every little thing but boy it does seem to have an effect with the calls they get there.

But it's not just up to the coach, the coach shouldn't have to tell players it's time to draw a line in the sand and stand up for your teammates.  Far too long this team's been unaware over things that happened at the time and then never did anything about it afterwards.  I don't want to hear it's a close game we can't risk an unsportsmanlike or retaliatory penalty excuse when these non-calls are ALREADY affecting us in close games!  And the constant unchecked dirty play by opponents is also putting players on the IR.  You don't have to take a retaliatory penalty to respond...target guys on their next shift and wipe them out legally if you can.  The bot approach of never responding may work in theory but the human factor comes into play after a while over a long regular season.

I have absolutely no idea what you think ripping the refs in the postgame will accomplish.  I cannot see how that leads to good outcomes.  First off, the refs might not even read the papers or hear about this.  Second, if they do, what can possibly come of that?  'The Devils have been screwed, better give them some makeup calls?'  I imagine working the referees is way less effective than guys like Tortorella or Laviolette think it is.

Since the full-season lockout in 2004-05, Montreal is a negative penalty differential team.  They might be more negative without the home crowd, but I think you are massively overestimating the fans' ability to get referees to make calls there.  I would like to hear our fans get louder as well, but this just cannot have a large effect - Carolina has been the best penalty-differential team since 04-05 and I imagine it isn't even close.

I don't understand how 'checking dirty play' stops it.  Did people going after Claude Lemieux stop him?  Have people not targeted Brad Marchand?  You've been watching hockey 20 years, has anyone ever been beaten into submission?   I remember Sean Avery knocked it off after every Devil took a run at him in 07-08.  Retalitory penalties are stupid, I recognize that sometimes they have to be taken as a line in the sand, but in close games they're especially stupid.  The idea that on-ice deterrence stops dirty play is ludicrous.

10 hours ago, point said:

Did Robbie Ftorek get tossed for throwing the bench onto the ice at Detroit? I can't remember.

He did get suspended for one game and fined $10k, but yeah, I can't remember if he got tossed from the game either.  I remember Pando bleeding so hard that his blood looked like syrup...took 84 stitches to sew him up.  Nasty.