GDT: Flyers @ Devils 2-1-18 7:00PM

Nicomo

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I consider myself to be relatively level headed in the real world, but so help me god if you don’t wear that jersey for every minute the rest of the season I will hunt you down and chop off your foot

Well, until it stops working anyway. I’m game. 

Didn't play great, but neither did the Flyers - the refs decided they would call everything in the 1st and the Flyers were the beneficiaries with that 5 on 3.  Then, of course, they swallow the whistles and call 1 penalty past the first period.  

Zacha - I don't know how he doesn't have a goal yet in this stretch but he is playing by far the best hockey of his career.  Two great primary assists tonight and a lot of little nice plays besides.  It wasn't a perfect night but he's 20.  The Devils need this kind of play out of him.

Hall was quiet, I thought - the Flyers did a good job of shutting him down, so it was big that the other guys stepped up.

Severson finally finishing, last year he would sneak down for that play and not finish.  Another solid night for him.

• Like 5

RECAP

• Easily the biggest win of the season
    • Flyers made the mistake of sitting back in the 3rd.
    • It's really the only period the Devils actually showed up for.
  • Despite that, they didn't play well overall.
    • Definitely need to be more disciplined.
    • Also they were very sloppy and flat in the first 40 minutes.
  • Zacha has been great for quite a while.
    • He should be the permanent 2nd line center.
    • Wood and Palmieri are great line mates for him.
    • Move Zajac to the 3rd line.
  • If Philly makes the playoffs, they'll be deadly.
    • They have the perfect system and personnel to go far.
    • They're an extremely underrated team.
    • Only question mark is their two young d-men and question marks in net.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 35 to 40
  • ES FF: 27 to 31
  • ES SF: 18 to 18
  • ES SCF: 17 to 12
  • ES HDCF: 4 to 4
  • All CF: 43 to 47
  • All FF: 33 to 38
  • All SF: 22 to 25
  • All SCF: 23 to 15
  • All HDCF: 5 to 5

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I’m fvckin dying laughing here. Not saying you — I really don’t remember if it was you so I promise I’m not calling you out — but like three weeks ago 75% of this forum called him a bust and now we’re using the term “monster”.

for the record? I agree. I’ve been the most obnoxious Zacha supporter on the forum. Just think it’s hysterical.

I think Zacha gets a ton of support on this board. He has a couple good games and he’s a monster, etc. As I’ve said, I think a lot of it is wishful thinking, not based on what he’s done but what he could do. It was 2 weeks ago when he had a huge point scoring drought. 

I think he’s developing, he’s showing signs of being a solid player, and I hope he keeps doing so. He’s come a long way from being a healthy scratch. 

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Not sure how you can watch that game and say “mixed feelings”. They had a rookie goaltender? We had a borderline AHL goaltender. The first and third period of that game was domination. 

Exactly right. We win that game easily but for soft goaltending and two terrible penalties that resulted in goals.

I say Zajac’s instigator penalty is terrible not because I don’t agree with his actions, but surely a guy like Gudas could have been goaded into fighting Travis Zajac without having to take the extra penalty. I mean really, it’s Gudas.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Also, Zajac beat the sh!t out of Gudas. It was GLORIOUS.

I don’t know what got into him, dude got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Or, he’s Travis Zajac from an alternate Earth, and they switched places. I haven’t decided yet. 

• Like 3

strange game tonight.

first off - a light crowd for thursday night vs flyers - maybe 13k. my season ticket rep said this was even a low priced game and they still had a surprisingly low draw. he honestly said it had something to do with pride night. he had a couple STH sell these tickets back to the devils and specifically said that pride night was the reason. honestly made me sick to hear that but whatever. what's great about this country is that you can be a disgusting bigot and still have the same rights as the most caring selfless person ever.

as for the game - i thought the flyers were the stronger team until mid way through the third. the devils weren't bad necessarily, but i thought the flyers played better.

greene HAS to clear that puck on the 2nd flyers PP goal - i was disgusted with that.

GWG notwithstanding, i didn't think nico had that great a night. he had several gaffes on the PP's and just was not crisp or quick tonight - he's absolutely getting to where he's wearing down as the youngest guy in the league in his first year.

zacha was really good tonight - two primary assists were great and he skated well tonight.

and gudas is just an absolute piece of sh!t - good on zajac to take him on.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know what got into him, dude got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Or, he’s Travis Zajac from an alternate Earth, and they switched places. I haven’t decided yet. 

He said in his postgame interview he has to contribute another way since the offense isn’t coming. Gotta respect that mentality. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Not sure how you can watch that game and say “mixed feelings”. They had a rookie goaltender? We had a borderline AHL goaltender. The first and third period of that game was domination. 

Our borderline AHL goaltender has been a long term backup. This Lyon guy is our Appleby. If being outshot in the first period called domination then I guess I'm missing something here. We were better in the third, but how many of us including you were sure we wouldn't crap it up in the final minute? Flyers were faster and sharper despite our "domination". That's my mixed feelings.

18 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I’m fvckin dying laughing here. Not saying you — I really don’t remember if it was you so I promise I’m not calling you out — but like three weeks ago 75% of this forum called him a bust and now we’re using the term “monster”.

for the record? I agree. I’ve been the most obnoxious Zacha supporter on the forum. Just think it’s hysterical.

NHL app puts a condensed game up pretty soon.

You're right right it is funny most of the forum wrote him off. I've been a defender of his but also acknowledged when his performance has been poor. Bottom line though is 20 year old prospects take time. You don't give up on sixth overall picks so soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly right. We win that game easily but for soft goaltending and two terrible penalties that resulted in goals.

I say Zajac’s instigator penalty is terrible not because I don’t agree with his actions, but surely a guy like Gudas could have been goaded into fighting Travis Zajac without having to take the extra penalty. I mean really, it’s Gudas.

"We win that game easily but for soft goaltending and two terrible penalties that resulted in goals."

I'm a die hard fan. I'm sure you are too. We'll take 2 points, but you need to take off your rose-colored glasses.

5 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

"We win that game easily but for soft goaltending and two terrible penalties that resulted in goals."

I'm a die hard fan. I'm sure you are too. We'll take 2 points, but you need to take off your rose-colored glasses.

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You do understand what the “but for” in his sentence means, right? Because you forgot to bold it and seems like you missed it.

Yeah I think you missed something. They scored on those two penalties. If they didn’t, they’d only have had one goal. Which they wouldn’t have had without soft goaltending. I’m not sure how that’s rose colored glasses stuff.