Appleby returned to Binghamton, Eddie Lack recalled.

Steven M.

14 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Good. Would rather have Apple playing instead of bench-warming.

Pretty sure this is the only reason it was done. I doubt Lack will earn any starts unless Cory is out during our next back to back or Kinkaid gets absolutely blitzed in a game.

33 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Good. Would rather have Apple playing instead of bench-warming.

18 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Pretty sure this is the only reason it was done. I doubt Lack will earn any starts unless Cory is out during our next back to back or Kinkaid gets absolutely blitzed in a game.

Agree with both. 

Eddie Lack played some solid NHL hockey back on the Canucks. I was looking forward to him being called at some point and even getting in some playing time. He's been fairly good in Binghamton so far as well. Honestly, he could end up competing for the backup position if KK doesn't pick up his game soon,

Edited by Neb00rs

50 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Eddie Lack played some solid NHL hockey back on the Canucks. I was looking forward to him being called at some point and even getting in some playing time. He's been fairly good in Binghamton so far as well. Honestly, he could end up competing for the backup position if KK doesn't pick up his game soon,

KK's last few starts have probably helped his cause, but he still makes me nervous.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

KK's last few starts have probably helped his cause, but he still makes me nervous.  

Exactly. A good 3 game run doesn’t establish you as “solid”, especially where in one of those games you gave up 3 and got lucky that we won it with lessthsn2 minutes left.

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

He's been fine...was in a slump earlier, hence why he got no games for about a month.  

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. A good 3 game run doesn’t establish you as “solid”, especially where in one of those games you gave up 3 and got lucky that we won it with lessthsn2 minutes left.

Did he make the big saves when needed....yes.   he's fine.  Just bc you give up 3 goals means nothing... gotta look at the shot, the screens and deflections involved.  Think 1 was deflected, and 1 screened.. 1 goal hit a skate and went to their guy... still should have stopped it, but it's not the weakest goal ever.  Hell, look at cory whose been constantly letting in weak goals.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Have they though? His last two games haven't been all that spectacular. He had some good rebound control last night, I'll give him that. He locks up pucks well, has for a lot of the season.

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

He's been fine...was in a slump earlier, hence why he got no games for about a month.  

Not really. He's having a whole lot of trouble getting that save percentage over .900...on a fairly good team. 

They might've sent Appleby down to get him starts, but I think Lack will get one of the 2 games on the weekend if Cory isn't ready by then (and it doesn't seem like he will be).  Starting anyone for 4 straight in a 4 games in 6 days stretch is hard, but starting the backup seems especially so.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was just going to say... what exactly do you guys want out of Kinkaid?  I mentioned this in another thread, but the game against the Flyers, he allowed 3 goals, and two of them were 100% not his fault, and you could argue the third was also pretty much luck as well.  Saturday against the Penguins he allowed just one goal, and yes I know the defense did their part and only gave up 16 shots, but as I mentioned before, Kinkaid's been a career backup, and not at all used to playing this many games.  I think he's done a mighty fine just to this point.  He's not losing us games, and although he's not necessarily stealing games for us either, he's stopping the shots he's supposed to stop, and if you think about it, this forum echoes with comments about Cory not being able to do that quite frequently.  All in all I'd very happy with how he's been able to step in so far.  

My opinion on KK hasn't changed...overall he's been a decent NHL backup, and guys like him can be very year-to-year...this year he's been inconsistent.  That's why he makes me nervous...it just feels like you don't know what you're getting from him.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was just going to say... what exactly do you guys want out of Kinkaid?  

Judging from a quick glance, somewhere in the range of 18-20 backups in the league have a save percentage in between .910 and .947. I'd like Kinkaid to be a .910. Is that fair?

If I thought his crap .898 was a fluke, I'd give him a break, but he's been really shaky out there throughout the season. He's made some big saves and has some good qualities but what goalie doesn't?

Just now, Neb00rs said:

Judging from a quick glance, somewhere in the range of 18-20 backups in the league have a save percentage in between .910 and .947. I'd like Kinkaid to be a .910. Is that fair?

If I thought his crap .898 was a fluke, I'd give him a break, but he's been really shaky out there throughout the season. He's made some big saves and has some good qualities but what goalie doesn't?

Yeah I guess, and it still surprises me that his save % is that low, especially because from a high level it just seems like he's done a very reasonable job.  I dunno, like I said, I guess I just didn't have very high expectations for him, and to me, he's at least meeting them at the moment.  To each his own though.

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I guess, and it still surprises me that his save % is that low, especially because from a high level it just seems like he's done a very reasonable job.  I dunno, like I said, I guess I just didn't have very high expectations for him, and to me, he's at least meeting them at the moment.  To each his own though.

He is 5-1-1 with a .907 save% in his last seven games (and he's had some good ones in there...take out the Philly game, and his combined save% in the other six games is .923), so he's been somewhat better lately than he was earlier...and he definitely played better than I expected him to over his last three.  Maybe he's due to go on a surge that gets him closer to his lifetime save% (currently .909).  But it's hard to have confidence in him as the temporary #1...just feels like that's not going to end well, and the more starts he gets, the less the return will be.  I really hope Cory gets healthy soon. 

I think some of the Kinkaid nervousness comes from those early goals it felt like he was giving up every game. But I agree that he's doing fine considering he's a back up. Especially the last few starts where he seems to be settling down. 

That being said I have a feeling Lack will get a chance this weekend