GDT : Bruins @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG+2, NESN

Devs3cups

20 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

all out? i'm not asking for all out.

i specifically said NOT to do that.

lack was a move to dump prout - that was not done with cory/KK in mind or actually improving the goaltending.

find a goalie - they're out there. if it costs you a 4th round pick, so be it.

give Q a shot 3 weeks ago.

that's what I'm asking for.

and how do i know ray isn't trying? because he hasn't said he is. if there's anything ray has been, it's been transparent. he doesn't drop names, but he clearly let's people know what he's thinking.

he's said he's not going to make a rental move or mortgage the future. he says he's sticking with what he has. that means he's not looking to fix anything because he either doesn't think it's broken or doesn't think it's time to fix it. that's fine. i don't think it's time anymore to give my money until ray puts a team out there that warrants me spending it.

The Lack move was absolutely done in mind with improving the goaltending in Binghamton, which up to that point had been deplorable. Naturally Lack got hurt right away and has barely played since that move, but so it goes.  I do not think that move was simply getting rid of Prout, because Lack costs considerably more money.  [EDIT:  This isn't true, I forgot that Carolina is retaining salary on Lack]

All you'll get for a 4th round pick is more of the same.  You want Chad Johnson or Markstrom or Nilsson, or any one of the guys who have similar numbers to Kinkaid?  It's just throwing dice and hoping the result is what you want.  It's doing something for the sake of doing something, asking a goalie coach to fix more guys who are clearly flawed.  Goaltending's not cheap.

Edited by Triumph

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't really know what the ref had. I do know that we had an over the net replay though, and that replay showed absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the puck crossed the line. None. The puck wasn't even visible.

As a matter of fact that "goal" boggles my mind so much I have been trying to come up with a way to justify it but I just can't. Here's the possibilities I've thought through:

1. The ref saw the puck cross the line on the ice but forgot to point at the net. The replay didn't show anything but the ref was sure and convinced the other refs to agree. 

2. The refs didn't see the puck at all but the Bruins argued harder than the Devils and so they figured the Bruins must have scored because they seemed so adamant. Unfortunately, this Devils team doesn't get on the refs at all.

3. There's an a$$hole Rangers fan in the booth in Toronto who "kindly" suggested to the refs the "right" call to make.

The ref absolutely pointed at the net during that play.  I didn't see evidence it was definitely in, but it also seemed like it must've been.  I don't know how he ever saw the puck cross the line because it's invisible from all camera angles, but it also was probably in the net. 

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The ref absolutely pointed at the net during that play.  I didn't see evidence it was definitely in, but it also seemed like it must've been.  I don't know how he ever saw the puck cross the line because it's invisible from all camera angles, but it also was probably in the net. 

now you're gonna ruin the whole thing.  The scenario you describe would seem to be rather reasonable.  Especially if the starting point for the other side of the argument is the referee never pointed to the net. If he did that's a game changer for this whole issue.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I'm going off of hearsay on the pointing so perhaps it happened. But, when you say, "it was probably in" I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Like, "if we do the calculations"? Last time I checked, if you can't see the puck, you can't call it a goal. And Lack's glove certainly wasn't over the line enough to assume beyond a reasonable doubt that the puck was in. I actually thought it was the opposite.Yeah, the call on the ice was goal, so they needed evidence to overturn that. But the on ice call was as mystifying as it gets based on the replay. There's no real justifying that call unless some new replay comes out that shows us something different. Do they have some replay in Toronto that holds the secret? Maybe, but it doesn't do me any good unless I see it.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

I'm going off of hearsay on the pointing so perhaps it happened. But, when you say, "it was probably in" I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Like, "if we do the calculations"? Last time I checked, if you can't see the puck, you can't call it a goal. And Lack's glove certainly wasn't over the line enough to assume beyond a reasonable doubt that the puck was in. I actually thought it was the opposite.Yeah, the call on the ice was goal, so they needed evidence to overturn that. But the on ice call was as mystifying as it gets based on the replay. There's no real justifying that call unless some new replay comes out that shows us something different. Do they have some replay in Toronto that holds the secret? Maybe, but it doesn't do me any good unless I see it.

The way replay is done in the NHL is that the call on the ice stands unless there is evidence to overturn that call.  There wasn't evidence to overturn it, I can tell you that - if you don't know where the puck is on the replay, which I certainly didn't, how do you know it's definitely not a goal?  The standard isn't to not rule things goals unless there's evidence they are.  Based on how the play looked to me, I think Lack jammed the puck up at the side of the goal past the goal line, and it was probably in.  I don't know how the ref on the ice ruled it a goal, and I doubt we'll ever know that.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I understand the anger, but that's just how it goes - Goaltending can torpedo you, it happens around the league every year, some team is good except for the goalie.  The Hurricanes have been doing it year in and year out for ages.  Leafs went through a stretch in the late 00s.  The Devils went through it for 2 years here, one of which they ruined by running Brodeur out there for 30+ games while they had a great goalie on the bench, something which is far worse than is going on right now.  

Vegas went through 5 goalies - one of them they claimed off waivers at the beginning of the season, one of them they had in expansion, one of them was godawful and put up sub Kinkaid numbers, one of them got hurt immediately, and the other was a guy from the WHL who was taken in the 7th round of this year's draft who they brought up because the organization literally had no other goalies under contract.

All of the Devils' goalies have been garbage this year besides Schneider.  Appleby and Blackwood have been terrible and are why Binghamton is in the toilet.  Almost no goalies move during the season - Pickard moved before training camp, Wedgewood moved after camp, Lack was traded, Niemi went to two different teams, Zatkoff was lost on waivers, I think - I'm sure I'm missing some other goalie transactions around the league but not a lot has happened - it's hard to find help for cheap, because the incentives aren't there.  Why would an organization trade a 3rd goalie for cheap?  Only when, as in the Devils' case, they thought they had 2 other guys who could step in.  

Eddie Lack looked like a guy who's played 15 games so far this year.  He was rusty.  He made some decent stops but also made some horrendous misplays.

Also, Steven Santini was really bad this year, and I'm not convinced that he will ever be good.  He skates well for a big guy.  That's about it.  His play with the puck is Lovejoyesque, and that's not how the league is going.  He did okay in the Lovejoy role last year playing mostly with Merrill.  

Tri - you've been with me for as long as anyone here. You know how I roll. There are guys that I will never support and some I'll never sour on. I can be irrational sometimes but for the most part, I get what's going on. You know and I know I'm not some facebook yahoo who thinks marty today is still better than cory and that we should get Lou back because "Cupz!"

I don't know why tonight snapped it for me - i mean, they were absolutely putrid last night. they've had games where they didn't show up this season. they've had other losing streaks. maybe it's just the snowball effect of the losing streak. maybe it honestly just knowing that they're staring at winning like 6 games for the rest of the season and they repeat the 2nd halves of the last 5 years. the 5 emails over the last 3 days reminding me to reup for next year haven't helped either.

sure they were the better team 5 on 5 and cordell can wow me about how vatanen was the second coming of bobby orr with his corsi and +/- but in the end, they still fvcking lost to a team that basically just showed up. yeah sure, goal one is "young players" nico and meuller fumbling the puck into their own net. but cagey vets aren't the answer to that. not being fvcking stupid is the answer to that. eddie lack is rusty. fine. but you've played goal before tonight. you know how much time is left in the period. just sit on the fvcking puck.

you're battling to try and get the game to at least OT to stop a losing streak and get points yet your #1 pair and #1 defensive center can't successfully play the puck on the wall or defend and lead to the shot that goes in. but hey, it's been happening plenty this season.

all i can say is i am STILL fvcking furious and I didn't even watch most of the game (I was at dinner for my mother in law's birthday). maybe i'll calm down tomorrow - we'll see.

in my life, there is my family first. then there is my company and the people that work there. then there is this stupid fvcking team. it's irrational and it makes no sense. but i've invested way too much for way too long. like the line in bronx tale, "mickey mantle doesn't give a sh!t about you." that's right - so fvck these guys until they want to figure it the fvck out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

The way replay is done in the NHL is that the call on the ice stands unless there is evidence to overturn that call.  There wasn't evidence to overturn it, I can tell you that - if you don't know where the puck is on the replay, which I certainly didn't, how do you know it's definitely not a goal?  The standard isn't to not rule things goals unless there's evidence they are.  Based on how the play looked to me, I think Lack jammed the puck up at the side of the goal past the goal line, and it was probably in.  I don't know how the ref on the ice ruled it a goal, and I doubt we'll ever know that.

That's what I'm saying. The call on the ice was what was most mystifying, based on the replay we saw afterwards, because it seems that at no point was the puck visible. Obviously, the ref thought he saw it cross the line and called it a goal, and then was adamant about it despite the replay showing nothing. Again, unless a new replay comes out it will remain a bad call to me.

16 minutes ago, Triumph said:

All you'll get for a 4th round pick is more of the same.  You want Chad Johnson or Markstrom or Nilsson, or any one of the guys who have similar numbers to Kinkaid?  It's just throwing dice and hoping the result is what you want.  It's doing something for the sake of doing something, asking a goalie coach to fix more guys who are clearly flawed.  Goaltending's not cheap.

Yes - i want to throw dice for not that much. yes i will try a 4th round pick to get someone and hope we catch lightning in a bottle. KK sucks. this is a known. Lack, as far as I'm concerned, has one more game to show he doesn't suck or it's onto the next.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

all i can say is i am STILL fvcking furious and I didn't even watch most of the game (I was at dinner for my mother in law's birthday). maybe i'll calm down tomorrow - we'll see.

lol well all I have to say is I'm glad you didn't see most of the game then.  I was at the game and beside myself like I haven't been since the stupid Florida playoff game in 2012.  If it isn't the team no-showing a game it's them giving away a game they should win with utter stupidity like tonight, or the refs taking it away.  It's just one thing after another now, and it seems like the gods hate Taylor Hall.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Also, Steven Santini was really bad this year, and I'm not convinced that he will ever be good.  He skates well for a big guy.  That's about it.  His play with the puck is Lovejoyesque, and that's not how the league is going.  He did okay in the Lovejoy role last year playing mostly with Merrill.  

You're misremembering last year. There were plenty of games where he was the Devils' best defenseman (not saying much). We actually commented how sure he seemed with the puck and how he made the simple easy play below the goal line. Sure, they sheltered him, but he played well.

Obviously they thought so too- that's why they gave him the most difficult assignments and toughest zone start percentage in the ENTIRE league for 30 games. On it's own, that's a lot to ask of a 2nd year pro. Add onto that you're giving him an ABSOLUTE anchor in Andy Greene who plays the exact same game as you (only with less strength, speed and size) and you'll be bound to rush your plays and fvck it up because you have no help with you.

I'd love to see a Meuller-Santini pairing with a 50/50 zone start split and 2nd/3rd pairing assignments - I bet they'd do just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Fans can do wtv they want. But it's mindblowing to me that some fans seem to be oblivious to the fact that we OVERACHIEVED this season and instead of being happy about that, and realize that we got some really really good hockey (especially after last season) they'd choose to use our overachievement as the bar and be pissed cause we're not keeping that up. Again, we finished 27th last year and only added a bunch of rookies and dealt with TONS of injuries plus all the INSANE badluck. If a fan is seriously pissed at the results of this season, he's 110% entitled and responsible for having unrealistic expectations. If we'd have the Pens roster and missing the playoffs i'd get it but christ, we were going to suck this year, WE KNEW THAT and it's totally part of the process.

You really speak and sound like someone who follows a team from afar with little emotional investment. Your expectations for any one of 82 games has already been locked and set from October 1. Why bother watching?

25 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Yeah I just double checked the game since I dvred it and he pointed on a few replays but it was way late. I only even thought of it cause Chico and Matt both mentioned it on the post game radio show. 

I have no idea how the hell he determined that from his angle, he must be superman when he's not a ref. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Tri - you've been with me for as long as anyone here. You know how I roll. There are guys that I will never support and some I'll never sour on. I can be irrational sometimes but for the most part, I get what's going on. You know and I know I'm not some facebook yahoo who thinks marty today is still better than cory and that we should get Lou back because "Cupz!"

I don't know why tonight snapped it for me - i mean, they were absolutely putrid last night. they've had games where they didn't show up this season. they've had other losing streaks. maybe it's just the snowball effect of the losing streak. maybe it honestly just knowing that they're staring at winning like 6 games for the rest of the season and they repeat the 2nd halves of the last 5 years. the 5 emails over the last 3 days reminding me to reup for next year haven't helped either.

sure they were the better team 5 on 5 and cordell can wow me about how vatanen was the second coming of bobby orr with his corsi and +/- but in the end, they still fvcking lost to a team that basically just showed up. yeah sure, goal one is "young players" nico and meuller fumbling the puck into their own net. but cagey vets aren't the answer to that. not being fvcking stupid is the answer to that. eddie lack is rusty. fine. but you've played goal before tonight. you know how much time is left in the period. just sit on the fvcking puck.

you're battling to try and get the game to at least OT to stop a losing streak and get points yet your #1 pair and #1 defensive center can't successfully play the puck on the wall or defend and lead to the shot that goes in. but hey, it's been happening plenty this season.

in my life, there is my family first. then there is my company and the people that work there. then there is this stupid fvcking team. it's irrational and it makes no sense. but i've invested way too much for way too long. like the line in bronx tale, "mickey mantle doesn't give a sh!t about you." that's right - so fvck these guys until they want to figure it the fvck out.

My basic point would be - why now?  You sat through 2013, as miserable a season as there was - a lockout followed by some wins followed by a ton of losses.  The band-aids to fix that mess - Loktionov good, Sullivan, D'Agostini, Ponikarovsky not so good.  2013-14 to me is almost as low as it gets - a season where the Devils miss the playoffs and get handed a pity 1st round pick at 30th overall, where their former franchise goalie is openly wondering about what teams he will be traded to.  2014-15 - do we even have to mention this?  Remember when like, Tomas Kaberle and Mike Komisarek were at training camp for some reason that year?  That was like one of those early 00s Rangers teams that Lou put together.  15-16, the team actually does well when we don't want them to.  And then last year, another decent opening but our hopes dashed by January and on to the endless ugliness.

This year - yeah, they may well miss.  It's been a brutal week and a pretty bad month.  But Bratt and Hischier.  Even Butcher.  Miles Wood has been really impressive.  Pavel Zacha's coming around.  They might fall apart, but beyond the goaltending there's a lot of young players here who just may not be ready for an 82 game season plus playoffs.  Now I understand that the last time the Devils missed the playoffs in a truly heartbreaking fashion was in 96.  They finished 12 points out in 2011, they were 8 points out in a shortened 2013 season, 5 out in 2013-14 but it never seemed close past March 1, 20, 9, 25.  This would be an epic collapse which the franchise hasn't really experienced in a long time, if ever.  But there's so much here now - the easiest position to fix, with enough time and assets, is the goalie position.  We all would've signed up for the Devils having this many points at this juncture in the season.  And there's still plenty of time to turn it around.

By the way, the time left in the period would be exactly why Lack played the puck - he thought playing it, he moves it to a safe spot and then the period ends, whereas if he freezes it, he ensures a faceoff on which a team can score.  I'm sure he's played in games both where his team has scored in this little time and he's been scored against in that little time.  Trying to do too much, I imagine, but it was an unlikely confluence of events that put the puck in the net (where it actually may never have been).

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Triumph said:

My basic point would be - why now?  You sat through 2013, as miserable a season as there was - a lockout followed by some wins followed by a ton of losses.  The band-aids to fix that mess - Loktionov good, Sullivan, D'Agostini, Ponikarovsky not so good.  2013-14 to me is almost as low as it gets - a season where the Devils miss the playoffs and get handed a pity 1st round pick at 30th overall, where their former franchise goalie is openly wondering about what teams he will be traded to.  2014-15 - do we even have to mention this?  Remember when like, Tomas Kaberle and Mike Komisarek were at training camp for some reason that year?  That was like one of those early 00s Rangers teams that Lou put together.  15-16, the team actually does well when we don't want them to.  And then last year, another decent opening but our hopes dashed by January and on to the endless ugliness.

This year - yeah, they may well miss.  It's been a brutal week and a pretty bad month.  But Bratt and Hischier.  Even Butcher.  Miles Wood has been really impressive.  Pavel Zacha's coming around.  They might fall apart, but beyond the goaltending there's a lot of young players here who just may not be ready for an 82 game season plus playoffs.  Now I understand that the last time the Devils missed the playoffs in a truly heartbreaking fashion was in 96.  They finished 12 points out in 2011, they were 8 points out in a shortened 2013 season, 5 out in 2013-14 but it never seemed close past March 1, 20, 9, 25.  This would be an epic collapse which the franchise hasn't really experienced in a long time, if ever.  But there's so much here now - the easiest position to fix, with enough time and assets, is the goalie position.  We all would've signed up for the Devils having this many points at this juncture in the season.  And there's still plenty of time to turn it around.

By the way, the time left in the period would be exactly why Lack played the puck - he thought playing it, he moves it to a safe spot and then the period ends, whereas if he freezes it, he ensures a faceoff on which a team can score.  I'm sure he's played in games both where his team has scored in this little time and he's been scored against in that little time.  Trying to do too much, I imagine, but it was an unlikely confluence of events that put the puck in the net (where it actually may never have been).

Why now?

because now is when they rip your heart out. 

All those other years - we knew they sucked and they were kind enough to follow through. You sat through it but you weren’t built up to be torn down. 

It’s the disappointment that is the worst and the feeing like you’re not doing anything to fix it. 

Saying we’d all sign up for this at the start of the season - well sure. Going into the season, I pegged them for 83 points - 36-35-11. And then they had the first 40 games. So after a while, you forget what you thought and reset expectations. 

And then the team tailspins and management doesn’t try to fix it. 

It sucks. 

This isn’t like ‘98 when I was disgusted with good teams not being able to get out of round 1 or 2009 game 7 which was the worst sports moment of my life (yes worse than ‘94 ECF as I wasn’t there).

The fact is, I cannot care about this team as much as I have anymore. I don’t know why tonight made that happen for me but it has. I’m actually sad by it. My wife and my girls saw it and can’t understand it. Why this essentially random loss was the one that basically ruined the devils for me. 

But it has. Yes I’ll watch. And I’ll still go games this year as I have tickets. But i just can’t care as much anymore because there’s enough disappointments in life and I won’t let these guys be one for me anymore. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if I get back to the level I’ve been at but it’s gonna take something to get me there and I can’t see it happening this year.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Why this essentially random loss was the one that basically ruined the devils for me.

It sucks because watching them play tonight, was a complete opposite to last night against Columbus. The team really did look ready to play and win against the Bruins. Unfortunately it just didn't turn out that way, so in that way, it was heartbreaking.

The effort put in by Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Palmy, Butcher, Wood, Coleman, Noesen.. They're the core of our team right now.

Stafford needs to be ejected from this team in any way possible. Why he continues to get minutes is beyond me.

On the upside, I'll be on a Devils vacation this time next month, and I have a winning record when I'm at games, so hopefully that'll help turn the team around and we finish the season winning :P

• Like 1

After my initial morning rage (having to wake up to this bullsh!t is not a great start to a Monday) I had a look at the standings and we are still in the wildcard places. We are just out of a metro place. 

There are 20 or something games to go and this team has Taylor Hall. I am not giving up yet. 

Having said that they need to turn this sh!t around quickly. Lack needs to start Tuesday. 

• Like 1

I was there last night...this morning I feel like I haven't slept in a week.  At 3-3, I really did feel like the Devils were going to find a way to get it done...that we'd all be saying "Goddamn, two seriously WTF goals in that first period, but in the end at least the Devils found a way to get two points...let's just take 'em and call it a day."  Nothing against Palms at all (like I posted, I had on his white GW, and he's still my current fave Devil), but it's kind of miraculous that my Palms bobblehead made it to my daughter's hands intact...I really wanted to smash something after the game, and I'm sure that would have shattered quite nicely.

Speaking of Palms...5 goals and 3 assists in his last 7 GP, 21 shots...but you'd never know it, because somehow it's felt so...quiet.  On pace for a 30-goal, 25-assist season over 82 GP (just about exactly what you'd expect based on his first two Devils seasons), but just like his recent point surge, you'd never know it.  Weird. 

Seeing all of the various reactions on here, for the most part, I understand them and relate to them, because I feel like I'm all over the place with how I feel about this team at the moment.  I look at the standings and see that they can still turn this around.  I watch the game last night and though it was yet another friggin' maddening loss, there were just enough signs that still have me believing that this thing isn't dead...but at the same time I feel like I have to start mentally preparing myself for the possibility that, after it was looking like a borderline certainty for so much of this season, the Devils may not make the playoffs.  That would bum me out for a lot of reasons, but I think #1 on that list would be Taylor Hall giving every last thing he's got yet not being rewarded.  Guy is just having such a brilliant year, truly.

I haven't killed Hynes this season, but I can't lie...his postgame conference was a bit too giddy and Honorable Mention for me.  I guess he's trying to pump his guys up a little and take a positive approach, but I guess after a fourth straight loss that's not what I was in the mood to hear.

Guess Lack has a good chance to get the next start, and all I have to say to that is sure, why not?  Hopefully he finds a way to stop 90% of the shots coming his way, because damn has that become a serious challenge. 

Still right there, hopefully they can cobble together some friggin' points. 

• Like 2

I don't expect Lack to start next game.  Not that I'd rather Kinkaid, at this point I could really care less -- they're essentially the same in terms of their ability and what we're going to get out of them. But Lack got his time yesterday, let in a few softies, and that's that.  He's going back to his backup role and Kinkaid is going back to his temporary starter role.  

7 hours ago, sundstrom said:

but beyond the goaltending there's a lot of young players here who just may not be ready for an 82 game season plus playoffs. 

This is an important point.  Our 1st line has been Nico/Hall/Bratt.  Because this is their 1st NHL season and because they are teenagers, both Nico and Bratt have been playing on a shift and minutes limit.  Both are playing 21/22 shifts per game and Hynes has been real careful in limiting their minutes to about 16:30 per game.

So 2 of this team's 1st line players rank outside the top 150 in the NHL forwards in both shifts and minutes.  And it is the right thing to do, but it does put the team into a different situation in terms of 2 of it's best players not playing what other team's top forwards play.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't expect Lack to start next game.  Not that I'd rather Kinkaid, at this point I could really care less -- they're essentially the same in terms of their ability and what we're going to get out of them. But Lack got his time yesterday, let in a few softies, and that's that.  He's going back to his backup role and Kinkaid is going back to his temporary starter role.  

Hynes definitely sounded like he was going to go right back to Lack next game to me. I also disagree he let in a few softies. Goal 1 was put in by a Devil, goal 2 didn’t even happen, goal 3 was a nice shot, and goal four took a bad bounce off of Stafford’s stick. Lack looked much more comfortable in net to me than Kinkaid on any given night. He also made 2 really good saves that were impressive. Kinkaid flashes that quick glove once in awhile but it feels like most of the time it’s a shot that wouldn’t have been on net anyway. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jersey Sure said:

This is an important point.  Our 1st line has been Nico/Hall/Bratt.  Because this is their 1st NHL season and because they are teenagers, both Nico and Bratt have been playing on a shift and minutes limit.  Both are playing 21/22 shifts per game and Hynes has been real careful in limiting their minutes to about 16:30 per game.

So 2 of this team's 1st line players rank outside the top 150 in the NHL forwards in both shifts and minutes.  And it is the right thing to do, but it does put the team into a different situation in terms of 2 of it's best players not playing what other team's top forwards play.

Palms should be playing with Nico and Hall going forward. He just has more finish than Bratt at this point.