GDT : Bruins @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG+2, NESN

Devs3cups

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And re:  Palms, the good news is that when he's on the ice, his production has been very consistent:

2015-16  82 GP, 30 G, 27 A, 13.5 shooting%

2016-17  80 GP, 26 G, 27 A, 13.5 shooting%

2017-18  36 GP, 13 G, 11 A, 12.5 shooting% (that would be 30 G and 25 A over an 82-game sched if he could keep that up)

Nice to know that you can basically pencil the guy in for 25-30 G and 25-30 A as long as he stays healthy. 

Palms 5v5 goals are 5? He has PP and ENs (not discounting these) but you can see why some are confused with his production.

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

you've hit the nail on the head - bad players are given prominent roles because of legacy and, to a lesser extent, lack of better options. they're the definition of anchors. John @ AATJ just did a write up on the improved defense since Vatanen got here. He touches on it a bit, but I don't think gives enough credence to just how bad Greene is and how it's taken a player like Sami to prop him up while Greene helped to destroy Santini.

That's part of the frustration - they can't make real steps forward while 9 and 16 are prominently featured and it's going to be years before that's changed (at least on greene's side - zajac at least has been pretty much turned into the 3C but still kills whatever line he's on).

Idk I kinda think 9 is pretty good :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But tell us how you really feel, heh heh. 

re:  KK, as bad teams evolve and upgrade their personnel, some guys are destined to be left behind.  KK was a passable backup prior to this season, but unfortunately for him this was not the season to be as overall crappy as he's been.  I think Shero is going to try to upgrade that position in the offseason...I think he'd even consider it now, but like Tri alluded to, not always easy to do in-season. 

The days of the passable goalie of any kind are just over. There was a time when the Mike Dunhams, Dan Cloutiers, and Brian Bouchers could put up one sub .900 season after another and stay in the NHL. Nowadays many backups seem to consistently put up .910+. Save percentage has gone up league wide over the last twenty years and consistent sub .900 play has come to mean you're out of the NHL. That seems to be especially true as of the last few years. Obviously there's a lot of factors at play here and a study of what happens to goalies who put up sub .900 numbers would have to be done to really make any conclusions, but here are the season-by-season year-end number of goalies in the league who put up a sub. 900 save percentage and made it to 15 games played (since the year 2000):

# of goalies with a sub .900 save percentage (Min. 15 games played, LA = league average sv. %):

1999-00: 16     LA: .904

2000-01: 25     LA: .903

2001-02: 11     LA: .908

2002-03: 16     LA: .909

2003-04: 10     LA: .911

2005-06: 31     LA: .901

2006-07: 13     LA: .905

2007-08: 13     LA: .909

2008-09: 12     LA: .908

2009-10: 9       LA: .911

2010-11: 12     LA: .913

2011-12: 7       LA: .914

2012-13: 7       LA: .912

2013-14: 11     LA: .914

2014-15: 6       LA: .915

2015-16: 4       LA: .915

2016-17: 3       LA: .913

2017-18: 5       LA: .913 (both #'s as of 02/11/2018)

Edited by Neb00rs

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

you've hit the nail on the head - bad players are given prominent roles because of legacy and, to a lesser extent, lack of better options. they're the definition of anchors. John @ AATJ just did a write up on the improved defense since Vatanen got here. He touches on it a bit, but I don't think gives enough credence to just how bad Greene is and how it's taken a player like Sami to prop him up while Greene helped to destroy Santini.

That's part of the frustration - they can't make real steps forward while 9 and 16 are prominently featured and it's going to be years before that's changed (at least on greene's side - zajac at least has been pretty much turned into the 3C but still kills whatever line he's on).

Zajac has been taken off the power play in recent weeks and he's on pace to play the least minutes per game since the 2nd season of his career.  I don't think he 'kills a line'.  The Devils are shooting 6.4% with him on the ice.  That's sometimes how it goes.  I think he's been fine in the last few games in his present role - he's been at least treading water, I think.  

Santini was bad with everyone, not just Greene.  He spent 140 minutes away from Greene with left-shot D and was around 40% Corsi with them.  That's not acceptable.

For Greene to be featured less it really won't take a whole lot.  They just need Butcher to make some strides next season and get a guy to stick above Greene.  I don't think that's all that difficult.  It takes time for coaches and management to see certain things, but they're seeing them.  

Neb00rs, all well and good, I agree with you, but KK wasn't a season-in season-out sub-.900 guy prior to this year.  He was at .915 three years ago and .916 last season.  In between he was at .904 and coming into this season was at .912 for his career, on bad teams to boot. 

But like I said, I think he's been bad enough this year that I wouldn't just hope he bounces back in the final year of his contract.  I look to upgrade. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'd take Lack 100 times out of 100 over KK after last night.  The first two were a combo of bad luck and rust.

I really don't want to see that sh!tbag KK's face ever again on this team after this season.  He sucks, the fans who think he is even a halfway capable goaltender are complete morons and his Twitter account should be used as an example by other teams going forward of how not to look like a complete idiot.

Seriously dude, you don't usually have quite that much ferocity in your posts. 

Not that its not 100% accurate, mind you. 

I personally wouldn't mind keeping Lack around once Cory comes back and letting KK go hang out in Binghamton or whatever. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Neb00rs, all well and good, I agree with you, but KK wasn't a season-in season-out sub-.900 guy prior to this year.  He was at .915 three years ago and .916 last season.  In between he was at .904 and coming into this season was at .912 for his career, on bad teams to boot. 

But like I said, I think he's been bad enough this year that I wouldn't just hope he bounces back in the final year of his contract.  I look to upgrade. 

I'm more asking the question myself than challenging you on anything: what happens to Keith Kinkaid? I'd imagine, given his relative success last year, if the Devils didn't continue with him (and they might), he'd end up in the league somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I'm more asking the question myself than challenging you on anything: what happens to Keith Kinkaid? I'd imagine, given his relative success last year, if the Devils didn't continue with him (and they might), he'd end up in the league somewhere.

The tricky thing is that he still has a year left on his deal. I know the buyout isn't costly, but would they consider having him in Bingo?

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Please let it be the Rangers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

He has enough of an overall track record that he probably gets a shot somewhere else if not here...especially with his contract being pretty cheap.  He might become one of those "fill out a bad roster" low-cost players who bounces around the league and occasionally has a surprising year here and there (but might also make an occasional trip to the AHL).  Bad teams that know that they're going to be bad need players too.  I can see that kind of a future for KK. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Seriously dude, you don't usually have quite that much ferocity in your posts. 

Not that its not 100% accurate, mind you. 

I personally wouldn't mind keeping Lack around once Cory comes back and letting KK go hang out in Binghamton or whatever. 

I swear if I ever come across one of his jerseys when I am at the Meigray warehouse I will make sure to fart on it.  That way they stink, just like how he is as a goalie.

• Haha 1

Not sure if this was mentioned here yet but:

Butcher got an assist too.

Doesn't count officially though because he missed time due to injury. 

So that's 21 points over the 14 game streak (9 goals, 12 assists) and he's 12 points off Kucherov while having played 5 less games.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 3

I get the disappointment from people. I'm also disappointed, but the fact still remains that this team wasn't anticipated to do shizz this year and they had a good early start to the season. We all knew we had to enjoy the success while it lasted.

The real heartbreak comes from the seemingly constant bad luck on the ice and with injuries, loss to teams they have outplayed, and seemingly inexplicable lapses in play for short stretches that costs them the game. I'm right there with you guys I swear, but the future is still bright. Believe it, and believe Ray can get this team where it needs to be to win. Before the season began I was thinking playoffs in 1-3 years but they're actually playing for a spot right now. I hate to see people completely give up on the team when we can all admit they pretty much outperformed their expectations already and it still isn't over yet. 

Remove the horrid luck from the league since December and things aren't nearly this close to Armageddon proportions either. Also, most teams in the league can expect their backup G to come in for 2-3 weeks and not completely make a mess of things. I don't think we can expect this "perfect sh!t storm" EVERY year. Please, try to at least hold out until the next lockout to be so pissed off you stop watching the team.Then you have a real excuse to be done.

On that note, I'm going on vacation to the Tampa area this week and have been looking forward to the game there on Saturday for a while. I've wanted to see a game in Tampa for years so I hope they don't suck. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

So that's 21 points over the 14 game streak (9 goals, 12 assists) and he's 12 points off Kucherov while having played 5 less games.

Why does he say back on? Even without the assist he scored a goal so how was the streak ever over to begin with? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Wow, I had no idea he was that close to the NHL lead.  I saw today there's a few guys, including 3 fvcking Pens, who are in the low 60s, with Kucherov leading the way at 69, and I just assumed Hall was further down the list at like 15 or 20, but if he's only 12 off, then he's probably in the top 10.  Very impressive, especially given the time he's missed like you mentioned.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I swear if I ever come across one of his jerseys when I am at the Meigray warehouse I will make sure to fart on it.  That way they stink, just like how he is as a goalie.

It still won't beat your Parenteau jersey. But its still a good idea.

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Why does he say back on? Even without the assist he scored a goal so how was the streak ever over to begin with? 

The assist was given on Palmieri's goal in Columbus, that's why. Other than that there would have been no Hall point in Columbus. 

And for the record, I still think that streak counts. Its 14 games in a row that he played in, whether he missed 2 for injury is irrelevant. Still 14 games played, 14 games with points. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

I'm still seething over that bs 'call on the ice is a goal' and subsequent review. I despise the review system and nhl officials. Garret Rank was one of them last night and he sounds awfully familiar as being a repeat abuser of the Devils.

Edited by devlman

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The assist was given on Palmieri's goal in Columbus, that's why. Other than that there would have been no Hall point in Columbus. 

And for the record, I still think that streak counts. Its 14 games in a row that he played in, whether he missed 2 for injury is irrelevant. Still 14 games played, 14 games with points. 

Ah I clearly didn't read that correctly, I half ass read it and thought he was talking about yesterday's game lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

22 minutes ago, devlman said:

I'm still seething over that bs 'call on the ice is a goal' and subsequent review. I despise the review system and nhl officials. Garret Rank was one of them last night and he sounds awfully familiar as being a repeat abuser of the Devils.

And I'm sorry, if it takes THAT friggin' long to see if the puck crossed the line...it's not conclusive.  Would love to know what the ref saw that made him so sure that it went across the line in the first place.  At the same time the Devils put themselves in a lousy position to begin with...that never should've happened. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I'm sorry, if it takes THAT friggin' long to see if the puck crossed the line...it's not conclusive.  Would love to know what the ref saw that made him so sure that it went across the line in the first place.  At the same time the Devils put themselves in a lousy position to begin with...that never should've happened. 

For me, with these calls, it's just that I've never seen anything like them before, especially last night's. I've never seen the refs call something a goal when there is absolutely no evidence that the puck went over the line. If anything, they've erred on the opposite side. It really boggles my mind that they called it a goal.

I really think the Devils players do need to get on the refs a bit more. Not that it will make all the difference but don't be the nice guys, don't make it easy for them to look you in the eye and tell you that you were offsides.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

For me, with these calls, it's just that I've never seen anything like them before, especially last night's. I've never seen the refs call something a goal when there is absolutely no evidence that the puck went over the line. If anything, they've erred on the opposite side. It really boggles my mind that they called it a goal.

I really think the Devils players do need to get on the refs a bit more. Not that it will make all the difference but don't be the nice guys, don't make it easy for them to look you in the eye and tell you that you were offsides.

I know it's been debated multiple times, but I really do want to see the Devils lose their sh!t over one of these "huh?!" calls soon.  I know the fallout could be costly within a game (penalties, etc), but the Devils just seem so damned PASSIVE when it comes to this sh!t...almost too calm to a fault.  I like Hynes in general, but I guess I would just to like see him go full-human just one time.  Yeah, probably won't make any difference, but I guess I'd like to see him show that some of this crap makes him as crazy as it makes us. 

• Like 4