Interview with Ray Shero at The Athletic

Triumph

Hard to tell when this interview was done - certainly within the last week, but I doubt it was before the weekend.  Behind a paywall, but The Athletic is worth it if you can afford it:

https://theathletic.com/236094/2018/02/12/qa-with-ray-shero-handling-the-trade-deadline-developing-players-and-more/

Highlights:  Shero admits 'you need that' re: getting 1st overall pick for a rebuild, claims New Jersey not a hockey market and so he's more willing to experiment here, says he'll likely stand pat at the deadline, claims Quenneville played last year in the NHL because 'we stunk', admits they got 'lucky' with Hischier and Bratt but also with Brian Boyle.

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

He said we're not a hockey market? Why would he insult his own fans that way? It doesn't matter if we are or aren't...you still don't say that

He also said when he was in Nashville it wasn’t a hockey market.  Obviously what he’s getting at is that it isn’t Montreal or Toronto where there’s a rabid and unreasonable media and fan base breathing down your neck pressuring you to “do something.”  Honestly, most NHL teams are probably like that.  Even the Rangers don’t really have the same problems as Canadian teams do.  Seriously, the only pain in the ass writer Rangers management has to deal with is Brooks, and they pretty much ignore him anyway.

As long as Shero makes the team better and builds a Cup winner, he can go on the Tonight Show and tell lame New Jersey jokes for an hour for all I care.

• Like 4

In context, I think he's alluding to the fact that there isn't a ton of media covering the team and that the team doesn't dominate headlines anywhere, which I think is true, and has always been true here.  I don't think he's running down the fans the Devils have, just that outside of those people, there's not a lot of casual interest in the team.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He also said when he was in Nashville it wasn’t a hockey market.  Obviously what he’s getting at is that it isn’t Montreal or Toronto where there’s a rabid and unreasonable media and fan base breathing down your neck pressuring you to “do something.”  Honestly, most NHL teams are probably like that.  Even the Rangers don’t really have the same problems as Canadian teams do.  Seriously, the only pain in the ass writer Rangers management has to deal with is Brooks, and they pretty much ignore him anyway.

As long as Shero makes the team better and builds a Cup winner, he can go on the Tonight Show and tell lame New Jersey jokes for an hour for all I care.

So what you're saying is that the Devils should hire Joe Piscopo as their GM.

11 minutes ago, Triumph said:

So what you're saying is that the Devils should hire Joe Piscopo as their GM.

If you’re making a reference to the Cathy Newman, Jordan Peterson interview, then well played.

But yes, if Joe Piscopo could land us Griffey and Bonds without giving up that much, he should be our GM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

If you’re making a reference to the Cathy Newman, Jordan Peterson interview, then well played.

But yes, if Joe Piscopo could land us Griffey and Bonds without giving up that much, he should be our GM.

Nope, have no idea what that is.  Just making a joke about New Jersey's most famous resident and entertainment star.  (Also, wasn't he the emcee at the 1st Devils' Cup parade?  Or one of them?)

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Nope, have no idea what that is.  Just making a joke about New Jersey's most famous resident and entertainment star.  (Also, wasn't he the emcee at the 1st Devils' Cup parade?  Or one of them?)

It was the “so what you’re saying...” preface. 

I think Piscopo might have done the voice over at one of the Cup banner raising, but don’t know for sure.  I’m almost certain you’re correct that he had something to do with one of the Cup celebrations.

As far as Shero standing pat goes...I wouldn't mind if he dealt Stafford for a 6th rounder or something along those lines.  Or Lovejoy for a 3rd or 4th, though that might be risky...he does give them depth...he's played in 34 games this year. 

I don't think Q is going to be anything...I don't really think about him when I think about the future of the Devils.  I get the feeling he'll be a throw-in in a future deal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think Q is going to be anything...I don't really think about him when I think about the future of the Devils.  I get the feeling he'll be a throw-in in a future deal. 

I have the same opinion. He’s a Blandisi. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have the same opinion. He’s a Blandisi. 

Or a Boucher.  One of those guys who's decent in the AHL, will come up here and there and not do much in the NHL.  Just nothing there that excites me at all.

Quenneville did have pretty good AHL numbers as a 20 year old, which have continued this year.  He probably won’t be the difference between the Devils being x and y, but it seems like he has a future in the league.  

If the Devils turn things around quickly and look like a playoff team heading into the deadline, he could be the main piece in a trade for say Evander Kane, if my prediction that the trade market is going to collapse is correct.

Quenneville is not going to be the main piece in a deal unless Shero really manages to trick someone.  Quenneville's got decent numbers in the AHL but his issue at the NHL level is that he's just not that good of a skater.  It's hard to see what plus skills he has other than his shot.  So yeah, it's nice he put up good numbers in the AHL as a 20 year old, but if you want to see a list of guys who mostly are on the fringes of NHL rosters, go look at the forwards that did that 5 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Quenneville is not going to be the main piece in a deal unless Shero really manages to trick someone.  Quenneville's got decent numbers in the AHL but his issue at the NHL level is that he's just not that good of a skater.  It's hard to see what plus skills he has other than his shot.  So yeah, it's nice he put up good numbers in the AHL as a 20 year old, but if you want to see a list of guys who mostly are on the fringes of NHL rosters, go look at the forwards that did that 5 years ago.

What I mean is that it could be Quenneville and a second that turns into a first if the Devils make the Cup finals for someone like Kane.  It has everything to do with the trade market collapsing especially for guys that will be free agents this summer.  That’s my prediction anyway.

And by the same token, you can look at som quality NHL players of the same age that put up similar numbers to Quenneville in their AHL 20 and 21 years.  

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

What I mean is that it could be Quenneville and a second that turns into a first if the Devils make the Cup finals for someone like Kane.  It has everything to do with the trade market collapsing especially for guys that will be free agents this summer.  That’s my prediction anyway.

And by the same token, you can look at som quality NHL players of the same age that put up similar numbers to Quenneville in their AHL 20 and 21 years.  

Quenneville and a second/first for Kane?? I’d do that, just hide the women. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as Shero standing pat goes...I wouldn't mind if he dealt Stafford for a 6th rounder or something along those lines.  Or Lovejoy for a 3rd or 4th, though that might be risky...he does give them depth...he's played in 34 games this year. 

Thank god I'm not the only one.

New Jersey isn't a hockey market? Tell that to Hobey Baker who played here over a hundred years ago, the first American star of the sport. I know in Ocean County, hockey was huge in the early decades of the twentieth century before they opened up an inlet to Barnegat Bay and raised its salinity, making it less likely to freeze over. Yea, as someone said, the media isn't Toronto or Montreal, but the Devils refusal to market the team properly here doesn't mean this isn't a hockey market. You want that attention, fight for it like everyone else does.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

There are definitely some quality NHLers that do that but not a lot.  

Quenneville and a 2nd is an insanely low return for Kane.  I recognize that some teams would not take him for free, but he has 18 goals this year for a bad Buffalo team.  I think the return for him, if they do sell him, will be at least a guaranteed 1st.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Sounds more like a George Costanza deal lol

1 hour ago, fsu1852 said:

I disagree. McLeod will be alright and Jesper Boqvist has great potential

Hopefully Joey Anderson, too. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

Or a Boucher.  One of those guys who's decent in the AHL, will come up here and there and not do much in the NHL.  Just nothing there that excites me at all.

Speaking of Boucher, he had two goals yesterday for Vancouver. I was watching that game and he was surprisingly all over the ice. I guess the sun even shines on a dog's ass some days lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Wow funny you brought this up, one of my favorite interviews of all-time. Peterson really destroyed Newman during that interview. It was amazing to watch, but also sad.