GDT: Devils @ Tampa 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Nico is on pace for 54pts... which is right on par with Toews, kopitar, Thornton and Bergeron's (and many other centers) production from last season... insane

Could you imagine paying over $10m for 54 points? Granted they’ve won what 3 cups since Toews signed that deal, that contract is brutal right now in their last two down years

So I didn't see the hit because I was on the other side of the rink, and like MitB said, they didn't show any replays, but I honestly thought whoever Wood hit (I now know it was Namestikov) was the one whose face was bloody...but it wasn't. It was Sustr who he punched in the face lol. So awesome. But yeah, Wood's prolly gonna get suspended for that hit.  Hard to argue against it. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Could you imagine paying over $10m for 54 points? Granted they’ve won what 3 cups since Toews signed that deal, that contract is brutal right now in their last two down years

They have won zero cups since those extensions kicked in (2015/16). They won their cups on ELC and RFA deals. 

43 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

What Toews brings to the hawks is far greater than just his points total. 

Are those intangibles worth $10.5 million per though? I mean look at how badly some (not you per se) lose their sh!t when Zajac goes cold and he’s making half as much.

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

How about just giving up devils hockey for Lent!  

Haha but but I already bought my plane tickets, I’m pot committed at this point for Saturday :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Everyone knows, you have to pay the price to sign guys like that. The price includes a couple years of paying too much at the end.

They got what they paid for with Toews. 

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Exactly. The way they made it seem (I was also on the other side of the rink) was that wood boarded a dude and beat the sh!t out of him and his bloody face. Tampa fans were (reasonably) irate. 

Consistency is one way to argue it. Hall only got a fine and I’d say his hit was worse. 

Edited by mfitz804

10 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

We’ll see. Maybe they’ll only give him a fine since he’s a first timer. 

I think he'll get at least a game or two. He left his feet. Simple play along the wall. He'll probably have to answer for the hit by another teammate in that Shuster (sp?) is anything but a heavyweight. Not sure who their (TBL)  designated "energy" player is to fill that role.

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, he just can’t tell Butcher from Greene and Zajac from Stafford, and he never knows which team is getting the penalty. 

he only points out the important things. 

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So, I went to the game on Saturday. My wife got me tickets 5 rows from the ice for Valentine's Day. I know, I win. Here's some stuff I'm typing out because I'm bored at work.

• If you haven't been to a game @ Tampa, go. It's easily my favorite away arena. We stayed at the Westin, where the Devils usually stay. This year they stayed at the Marriott; which is where we stayed last year. Whoops.
  • I saw Nico walking before the game. He looked 13 years old. Tampa had a high-school hockey tournament the night before and I was almost 100% positive he was on one of those teams. The TV absolutely adds 20 pounds here.. the kid is miniature. Which makes this season so unbelievably impressive.
  • Hynes was out and about in the stands before warmups and spent time talking to fans. He says he thinks MoJo will be back before the playoffs. Really nice guy, really well spoken and surprisingly candid with his answers to the questions fans were peppering him with. Some enormous dude walked up to him and started talking really quietly in his ear for a long time, obviously giving him coaching "tips". It was super awkward for everyone there and he quickly went back into the tunnel after that... that's why we can't have nice things.
  • Daneyko also came out for a few minutes to say hi. He's always amazing with the fans. Some dude next to me gave him a sharpie in a plastic bag as a "present". It was super awkward, again, and he left quickly, again. Why are people so weird?!
  • The gameday presentation of the Lightning is second to none. Their stadium is sick, their fans are knowledgeable and SUPER nice, their food options blow away anything I've ever had... just amazing. My wife sweet and sour shrimp that would have been delicious at a regular restaurant, and I had a burger from Outback Steakhouse that was so good I'm still thinking about it today. 
  • The game itself was incredible. Two major complains were the Tampa replay staff at the stadium. After Wood's check, the ONLY replay they showed on the stadium jumbotron was a closeup of a bloody face. The fans -- naturally -- were going bananas that it wasn't a 5 + misconduct, since it seemed like his face got that fvcked up from the boards and not the fight. 
  • The Taylor Hall post-to-post shot was never shown or spoken about again. From where I sat, that puck was in the back of the net. The Devils fans in the arena (a lot of us, I'll add) all stood up and went crazy. The goal light came on. And then play continued like nothing happened and we never saw a replay. I was still positive it was a goal until someone on here replied to me that it rang off of the pipes. 
  • You all know this already, but Taylor Hall is just the best player on the ice almost every time he's out there. It's insane to watch. He high fived my wife after warmups and I'm pretty sure that was the reason I got laid that night. She asked me to wear my Hall jersey? Hmm.  

I lol'd re the Hall jersey. Interesting info to read. Agree, pretty ridiculous for a fan to try to stand there and educate a NHL head coach, should just get an account on a hockey message board like the rest of us.

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Some enormous dude walked up to him and started talking really quietly in his ear for a long time, obviously giving him coaching "tips". It was super awkward for everyone there and he quickly went back into the tunnel after that... that's why we can't have nice things.

I feel like that HAD to be an NJDevs member. Fess up, big guy, whomever you are!!!

15 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So, I went to the game on Saturday. My wife got me tickets 5 rows from the ice for Valentine's Day. I know, I win. Here's some stuff I'm typing out because I'm bored at work.

• If you haven't been to a game @ Tampa, go. It's easily my favorite away arena. We stayed at the Westin, where the Devils usually stay. This year they stayed at the Marriott; which is where we stayed last year. Whoops.
  • I saw Nico walking before the game. He looked 13 years old. Tampa had a high-school hockey tournament the night before and I was almost 100% positive he was on one of those teams. The TV absolutely adds 20 pounds here.. the kid is miniature. Which makes this season so unbelievably impressive.
  • Hynes was out and about in the stands before warmups and spent time talking to fans. He says he thinks MoJo will be back before the playoffs. Really nice guy, really well spoken and surprisingly candid with his answers to the questions fans were peppering him with. Some enormous dude walked up to him and started talking really quietly in his ear for a long time, obviously giving him coaching "tips". It was super awkward for everyone there and he quickly went back into the tunnel after that... that's why we can't have nice things.
  • Daneyko also came out for a few minutes to say hi. He's always amazing with the fans. Some dude next to me gave him a sharpie in a plastic bag as a "present". It was super awkward, again, and he left quickly, again. Why are people so weird?!
  • The gameday presentation of the Lightning is second to none. Their stadium is sick, their fans are knowledgeable and SUPER nice, their food options blow away anything I've ever had... just amazing. My wife sweet and sour shrimp that would have been delicious at a regular restaurant, and I had a burger from Outback Steakhouse that was so good I'm still thinking about it today. 
  • The game itself was incredible. Two major complains were the Tampa replay staff at the stadium. After Wood's check, the ONLY replay they showed on the stadium jumbotron was a closeup of a bloody face. The fans -- naturally -- were going bananas that it wasn't a 5 + misconduct, since it seemed like his face got that fvcked up from the boards and not the fight. 
  • The Taylor Hall post-to-post shot was never shown or spoken about again. From where I sat, that puck was in the back of the net. The Devils fans in the arena (a lot of us, I'll add) all stood up and went crazy. The goal light came on. And then play continued like nothing happened and we never saw a replay. I was still positive it was a goal until someone on here replied to me that it rang off of the pipes. 
  • You all know this already, but Taylor Hall is just the best player on the ice almost every time he's out there. It's insane to watch. He high fived my wife after warmups and I'm pretty sure that was the reason I got laid that night. She asked me to wear my Hall jersey? Hmm.  

Nice re-cap.  I'm glad someone else appreciates the atmosphere in Tampa.   It's hard to describe to others that don't live here, and sometimes it's even hard for me to appreciate it because I've been here so long and I forget what other places/arenas/teams are like, but the Lightning truly have a world-class product.  Last month marked 20 years when I moved here - the year that Lecavalier was drafted, and incidentally I was able to go to the game two weeks ago (a week before the Devils game) when they retired his number.  They did a great job with the ceremony, similar to what the Devils did for Brodeur and making it a great spectacle.  Back when I first moved here the arena (the same one they still play in) was newer and nice, but nowhere near what it is now.  Also back then, the fans, understandably, where novices to the game for the most part, when I would go to games it was sort of laughable, and also annoying, listening to people sitting around me comment on the game -- they just had no idea what they were watching, they'd complain about things that weren't a problem, and so forth.  But now, as you said, the fans have been passionate for nearly two decades - they support the team like no other, and they understand the game now too.  The owner really deserves a lot of credit for pouring so much of his own money into the stadium -- the food options are indeed pretty nice like you mentioned, there generally isn't a bad seat in the house (they even removed a huge section for the Coors Light goal bar in the 300s behind the net), and the pre-game cinematics are electrifying.  

My buddy and I who went to the game with me got to meet up with Louie aka NJDevs1214 and his friend for a minute while waiting on line for a beer - it was very cool to meet someone from here and also put a face to a name. Appreciate him coming down and making the effort to find me.