Andrew Gross leaving beat?

mikemarc1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

She could do that...but she chooses not to. She needn't have a reason other than that. What others think she should do (aside from her employer as I noted above) is irrelevant. It's Twitter, that's kind of what people do on Twitter. 

You're free not to follow, just like if you have a friend who posts pictures of his stupid cat 150 times a day. 

I'd rather have the cat.  Still better than "mail day!" posts though.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'd rather have the cat.  Still better than "mail day!" posts though.

It's funny how your opinion on a messageboard about what you would like to see from the new beat writer is met with 1) if you don't like it then go scratch; 2) the medium is flawed and it is what it is so again go scratch lol....But I hear ya man, it would be great if we could read Devils news from an official beat writer without going through tons of garbage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

It's funny how your opinion on a messageboard about what you would like to see from the new beat writer is met with 1) if you don't like it then go scratch; 2) the medium is flawed and it is what it is so again go scratch lol....But I hear ya man, it would be great if we could read Devils news from an official beat writer without going through tons of garbage.

You mean, how your opinion on a message board is met with someone else's opinion on a message board? Isn't that...kind of how a message board works?

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You mean, how your opinion on a message board is met with someone else's opinion on a message board? Isn't that...kind of how a message board works?

Oh right I forgot. Let me reply to your opinion by saying your opinion is a waste of time! Am I getting it right now?

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly. I like Amanda and I think she does a good job. It's her Twitter. She can post whatever the hell she wants. Just ignore it if you don't like it and focus on the hockey posts instead.

Her non-hockey posts are dumb but I don't like her because honestly...I don't think her hockey knowledge is that great. Maybe it's more accurate to say that's why I don't follow her rather than I don't like her. I enjoyed TG because he knew how to see the game and how to talk to the fans about hockey on another level.

Andrew was ok as far as hockey knowledge goes, he just barely met the threshold for me. 

I think Abbey has a chance to be good even though she comes from baseball. You don't have to start out being an expert, you just have to be able to learn quick. I'll certainly give her a decent chance.

18 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Her non-hockey posts are dumb but I don't like her because honestly...I don't think her hockey knowledge is that great. Maybe it's more accurate to say that's why I don't follow her rather than I don't like her. I enjoyed TG because he knew how to see the game and how to talk to the fans about hockey on another level.

Andrew was ok as far as hockey knowledge goes, he just barely met the threshold for me. 

I think Abbey has a chance to be good even though she comes from baseball. You don't have to start out being an expert, you just have to be able to learn quick. I'll certainly give her a decent chance.

She covered Kings/Ducks prior to baseball.

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Now this would annoy the hell out of me and comes across as completely unprofessional. 

While I agree, as a Mets fan I chuckle when Keith Hernandez does it so it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to complain if Amanda does it just because one's a cranky old fart and the other's much younger and less curmudgeonly.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ugh please come back AG or TG.  This is brutal.

Best part is the fake profile pretending to be AG had to correct her.

abbey funny.PNG

Abbey has not been good so far and people are noticing. I still want to give her a chance, but as I said the other day, she just isn't giving it her all and she seems more interested in baseball. 

That said, I completely take back any criticism of Amanda Stein. I think she is really starting to do a great job. No she can't do nuanced hockey analysis, but she knows what to report on and when, she knows how to talk Devils, and she is putting a lot of effort into staying on top of things. Between her and Chris Ryan, I'm satisfied enough for now.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Abbey has not been good so far and people are noticing. I still want to give her a chance, but as I said the other day, she just isn't giving it her all and she seems more interested in baseball. 

That said, I completely take back any criticism of Amanda Stein. I think she is really starting to do a great job. No she can't do nuanced hockey analysis, but she knows what to report on and when, she knows how to talk Devils, and she is putting a lot of effort into staying on top of things. Between her and Chris Ryan, I'm satisfied enough for now.

I only follow Chris and Amanda. I didn't even know about this woman!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I only follow Chris and Amanda. I didn't even know about this woman!

She hasn't really been successful in gaining a following yet. But she's only been on the job for a little over a week. I'm giving her a few months. I liked her two pieces since the game last night. Not bad.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2018/04/04/why-taylor-hall-hart-trophy-favorite-according-his-new-jersey-nj-devils-teammates/486886002/

Apparently we know why Cory sucks rn. He's been spending his time playing ping pong.

14 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah I went through her posts yesterday and half was hockey and the other half baseball.  Her live tweets during the game were also very vague compared to that of AS and CR

• Like 1

I think the acid test for Abbey will be the draft and free agency.  If all she's doing is saying who the Devils draft and sign and that's it, you know she has no interest in the sport, and is just collecting a pay check by being a glorified sports ticker.]

EDIT:  Yeah, and I think Amanda has done a really good job and has only improved.  She knows the sport obviously, is really enthusiastic about the team without being too much of a homer (will call out poor play, etc) and really isn't getting to obsessed over a few twitter trolls like she did at the beginning of the season.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1