GDT - Devils vs Wild 2/22/18

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, CarpathianForest said:

61 games, 21 to go. We need to be 11-10. I think that is possible.

Anything is possible, but the upcoming schedule looks bad for the team where 2/3 of the players constantly f..k up everything the remaining 1/3 is trying to create.

RECAP

• Overall, the effort was actually very good, and this game should have been a win.
  • A slight lapse in play for a 5 minute stretch is what did this team in tonight.
  • Hynes probably should have used his timeout after the 2nd goal.
  • This loss is not on the coaches, however it is up to the coaches to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen more frequently.
  • This team needs another pure goal scorer plus we need Johansson back.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Nothing Lack could do
  • Goal 2: Nothing Lack could do, Severson needs to tie up the stick there.
  • Goal 3: One that needs to be stopped, and ended up being a back breaker much like the 2nd goal Kinkaid allowed on Tuesday.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 58 to 40
  • ES FF: 48 to 30
  • ES SF: 32 to 22
  • ES SCF: 22 to 16
  • ES HDCF: 5 to 5
  • All CF: 73 to 45
  • All FF: 60 to 35
  • All SF: 40 to 25
  • All SCF: 28 to 19
  • All HDCF: 6 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION 5 ON 5

• CF: 51.71 to 40.72
  • FF: 43.93 to 30.32
  • SF: 30.37 to 21.73
  • SCF: 18.89 to 17.31
  • HDCF: 4.67 to 5.33
Edited by Mike Brown

For all the gloom and doom the Devils are still 5 points up on 5th place and they played a pretty decent game tonight.  I wouldn't say they played great by any stretch, but they played well enough to win.  With some decent bounces and goaltending games like this are wins more often than not.

Part of me would like to see some sort of forward acquisition just so NJ could sit Zacha and Bratt occasionally, both guys seem to have hit a wall and could use a break.  

12 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

I don't disagree but even if Cory brings his A game it won't guarantee more goals at the other end.

totally agree.  If it's just going to continue to be Hall and Nico they're an early out even if they make the playoffs.  I actually think they don't have nearly enough skilled offensive players to go into next year expecting much of an overall improvement.  There's some good stories for sure with a handful overachieving early on but that well has run dry more than a few weeks ago. 

Edited by titans04

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

totally agree.  If it's just going to continue to be Hall and Nico they're an early out even if they make the playoffs.  I actually think they don't have nearly enough skilled offensive players to go into next year expecting much of an overall improvement.  There's some good stories for sure with a handful overachieving early one but that well has run dry. 

Yes, and regardless of their chances they NEED to make the playoffs to feel they've accomplished something.

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

totally agree.  If it's just going to continue to be Hall and Nico they're an early out even if they make the playoffs.  I actually think they don't have nearly enough skilled offensive players to go into next year expecting much of an overall improvement.  There's some good stories for sure with a handful overachieving early on but that well has run dry more than a few weeks ago. 

A healthy and productive MOJO would go a long way to helping the offense next season. 

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

For all the gloom and doom the Devils are still 5 points up on 5th place and they played a pretty decent game tonight.  I wouldn't say they played great by any stretch, but they played well enough to win.  With some decent bounces and goaltending games like this are wins more often than not.

Part of me would like to see some sort of forward acquisition just so NJ could sit Zacha and Bratt occasionally, both guys seem to have hit a wall and could use a break.  

100%. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

All they have to to do is stay ahead of the Islanders and the Canes to guarantee at least the last WC spot. Saturday night is HUGE. For more than just be being Patty night. 

At this point of the season it already looks difficult (no pessimism implied).