Sign in to follow this  
NJDfan1711

GDT - Devils vs Wild 2/22/18

All they have to to do is stay ahead of the Islanders and the Canes to guarantee at least the last WC spot. Saturday night is HUGE. For more than just be being Patty night. 

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

totally agree.  If it's just going to continue to be Hall and Nico they're an early out even if they make the playoffs.  I actually think they don't have nearly enough skilled offensive players to go into next year expecting much of an overall improvement.  There's some good stories for sure with a handful overachieving early one but that well has run dry. 

Yes, and regardless of their chances they NEED to make the playoffs to feel they've accomplished something.

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

totally agree.  If it's just going to continue to be Hall and Nico they're an early out even if they make the playoffs.  I actually think they don't have nearly enough skilled offensive players to go into next year expecting much of an overall improvement.  There's some good stories for sure with a handful overachieving early on but that well has run dry more than a few weeks ago. 

A healthy and productive MOJO would go a long way to helping the offense next season. 

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

For all the gloom and doom the Devils are still 5 points up on 5th place and they played a pretty decent game tonight.  I wouldn't say they played great by any stretch, but they played well enough to win.  With some decent bounces and goaltending games like this are wins more often than not.

Part of me would like to see some sort of forward acquisition just so NJ could sit Zacha and Bratt occasionally, both guys seem to have hit a wall and could use a break.  

100%. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

A healthy and productive MOJO would go a long way to helping the offense next season. 

Is he expected to return soon?

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Could or he could be damaged goods and one hit away from being lost for good. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

All they have to to do is stay ahead of the Islanders and the Canes to guarantee at least the last WC spot. Saturday night is HUGE. For more than just be being Patty night. 

At this point of the season it already looks difficult (no pessimism implied).

3 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Is he expected to return soon?

Don’t think so. In time for the playoffs is probably best case. 

Edited by Nicomo

This team is maddeningly inconsistent nowadays. Is it just bad goaltending or is this the new norm with a team not used to contending for a playoff spot; serious contender I mean?

Schneider wasn't all that great before he got hurt, but when he comes back he had better get ready for overdrive.

Last two games we simply couldn't finish. Plain and simple. Vatanen's shot with the goalie pulled missed by thirty feet. It seemed like so many shots hit boards.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Last two games we simply couldn't finish. Plain and simple. Vatanen's shot with the goalie pulled missed by thirty feet. It seemed like so many shots hit boards.

The better team lost 2 in a row, but moral victories don't add points. "Simply couldn't finish" is a long term issue. We are better this year, but still not good enough. Thank god we have Taylor Hall.

elias to hynes ..."no flow"... zacha says hi

19 minutes ago, devlman said:

I don't think the shot missed by that much. I more blame Palms( I think it was Palms there) for not being able to hold the puck. 

The only guys really showing up are Nico and Hall. Everyone else looks completely anemic. Shero needs to give Hall the big bucks. He deserves it. Hall has been the only reason this team has had any chance to win since almost December. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think the shot missed by that much. I more blame Palms( I think it was Palms there) for not being able to hold the puck. 

The only guys really showing up are Nico and Hall. Everyone else looks completely anemic. Shero needs to give Hall the big bucks. He deserves it. Hall has been the only reason this team has had any chance to win since almost December. 

I hate to say it, because I like Vatanen, but it missed by a country mile, and directly led to the puck going out of the zone and thereby down the rink and into our net.  

Disagree with others saying that the better team lost the last two games.  We weren't better.  The games were even and tightly played, but they were better, and that's why we lost.  Sure we played good games with not many turnovers, penalties, and looked like we had some energy in both, but in games like that when it's close you're always going to want to look at the team you're a fan of and say they were better - it's just natural optimism.  But the truth is, we weren't.  And it's not just in one particular area.  

29 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I hate to say it, because I like Vatanen, but it missed by a country mile, and directly led to the puck going out of the zone and thereby down the rink and into our net.  

Disagree with others saying that the better team lost the last two games.  We weren't better.  The games were even and tightly played, but they were better, and that's why we lost.  Sure we played good games with not many turnovers, penalties, and looked like we had some energy in both, but in games like that when it's close you're always going to want to look at the team you're a fan of and say they were better - it's just natural optimism.  But the truth is, we weren't.  And it's not just in one particular area.  

I just watched the replay on the condensed game and it looks like the shot missed by a good 2-3 feet with no on in the area to even deflect it. I guess it depends on how you define "missed by a mile". The pass handcuffed him and he had a Wild player coming up on him fast so split decision he sends it towards the net/into the corner. Like I said, the pass handcuffed him so it wasn't hard and Palms was standing in perfect position to get it off the boards and he just flat missed it. Palms get's 90% of the error there because when Dmen don't have a lane to the net the rule is to throw it into the corner anyway, and I'd much rather a take a chance throwing it down low than turning it over on the blue line. Palms missed a puck off the boards you're supposed to handle 99 time out of 100.

I'm not arguing with you on the second point. Anyone who thinks NJ has been the better team is watching the game with rose colored glasses.

I know I have harped on it, and not too many agree with me, but I would not mind seeing Severson involved in a trade to get some kind of upgrade on defense. I think he is at a point where he is what he is. Little bit of offensive upside, but a lot of defensive deficiencies.

Also, I think this team needs to spend a couple practices just on making and receiving hard, crisp passes. Palmieri can't seem to receive or control any passes to him lately, among others, and a lot of our defensmen seem to make too many soft passes that often become turnovers.

Hopefully adding Grabner helps us score more and get back in the win column. Can't expect Hall and Nico to do everything.

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just watched the replay on the condensed game and it looks like the shot missed by a good 2-3 feet with no on in the area to even deflect it. I guess it depends on how you define "missed by a mile". The pass handcuffed him and he had a Wild player coming up on him fast so split decision he sends it towards the net/into the corner. Like I said, the pass handcuffed him so it wasn't hard and Palms was standing in perfect position to get it off the boards and he just flat missed it. Palms get's 90% of the error there because when Dmen don't have a lane to the net the rule is to throw it into the corner anyway, and I'd much rather a take a chance throwing it down low than turning it over on the blue line. Palms missed a puck off the boards you're supposed to handle 99 time out of 100.

I'm not arguing with you on the second point. Anyone who thinks NJ has been the better team is watching the game with rose colored glasses.

I guess the spectator with rose colored glasses is me. Probably I didn't do a good job expressing my scepticism in that patricular post. Yes, a team that made more SOG and had more offensive zone time is not automatically better, nor it always wins (our game in Tampa). Jackets and Wild perfectly exploited our weaknesses and mistakes. Did we deserve at least 1 win in these 2 games? Absolutely, but we didn't find the way and that's the biggest concern with 21 games left. Hope Grabner will make the difference.

Edited by Devs64