Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

I think Tkachuk and Recchi have done it, off the top of my head.  There's been some others, but yeah, doesn't happen a whole hell of lot. 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Tkachuk and Recchi have done it, off the top of my head.  There's been some others, but yeah, doesn't happen a whole hell of lot. 

Doug Weight I believe also did it.  Zbynek Michalek did it a few years ago.  There's another one out there but I can't recall it.

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I keep forgetting Tkachuk played for the Thrashers ever so briefly for their playoff "run" in 2007.  It's also amazing the team bowed out in 4 straight against the Rangers.  They had Kovy, Hossa, Slava Kozlov, Mellanby, and Tkachuk in that series.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I keep forgetting Tkachuk played for the Thrashers ever so briefly for their playoff "run" in 2007.  It's also amazing the team bowed out in 4 straight against the Rangers.  They had Kovy, Hossa, Slava Kozlov, Mellanby, and Tkachuk in that series.

The Atlanta hockey teams (both the Flames and then later the Thrashers) could damned near NEVER win a playoff game...the two franchises combined to go 2-19 in 21 playoff games.  Ouch. 

Holik was on that Thrasher team too...they gave him the C the following year. 

15 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Doug Weight I believe also did it.  Zbynek Michalek did it a few years ago.  There's another one out there but I can't recall it.

Yes, Weight was one of them.

I remember Tkachuk, Weight and Recchi doing it close enough (within a year of each other) that some people started to complain about it. 

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Atlanta hockey teams (both the Flames and then later the Thrashers) could damned near NEVER win a playoff game...the two franchises combined to go 2-19 in 21 playoff games.  Ouch. 

Holik was on that Thrasher team too...they gave him the C the following year. 

Yes, Weight was one of them.

I remember Tkachuk, Weight and Recchi doing it close enough (within a year of each other) that some people started to complain about it. 

Yeah they were snakebitten.  I do remember that was the year the Devils came somewhat close to meeting in the ECF as both teams got knocked out in the 2nd round (us to the Sens and Rangers to the Sabres).

I didn't mention Holik only because he was at that point a non-factor lol.  I really have very little memories of their series against the Rangers except that it was extremely brief.

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That 2007 thrashers team was weird. I think Moose was their starting goalie, wasn’t he? 

Crazy that Kovy had 42 goals, finished THIRD on the team in points. Hossa had 100. Props if you can guess who finished second in scoring on that team. 

Marc Savard wasn't it? They had a crazy top line that year of Kovalchuk - Savard - Hossa, but they were the definition of a one line team. Ottawa was the same way back then with Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson

EDIT: Ah okay, DM84 is right it was Slava Kozlov that year, Savard's last season in Atlanta was 2006

Edited by CommonDreads

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

That 2007 thrashers team was weird. I think Moose was their starting goalie, wasn’t he? 

Crazy that Kovy had 42 goals, finished THIRD on the team in points. Hossa had 100. Props if you can guess who finished second in scoring on that team. 

Slava Kozlov.  I only know because when I looked up their stats earlier today for my post he was up there.

He wasn't a slouch either.  He had 6 career 70+ point seasons; 4 with Atlanta.

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Kozlov is the answer. So crazy. And that team got mauled by the rangers. I think they lost every game in regulation... one of them like 7-0. 

Yeah it wasn't even close.  The combined scoring in all 4 games that series was 17-6 in favor of the Rangers.  Hossa, Kovy, Kozlov, Mellanby and Tkachuk combined for 6 points total, with Tkachuk having half of those.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You never know with these guys (though I think Tri summed it up well, he could go back there, but just seems unlikely), but at the same time, if he's decides that winning is most important, he'll either stay here or sign with a team that has a legit shot to win a Cup.  That is definitely not the Rangers for at least next season, possibly more. 

Over under is another 30 years

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie
  • Like 1

Antoine Vermette is one of the more recent guys to do it. Traded from AZ to CHI, re-signed with AZ for one year prior to joining ANA for the past two.

I think depending on how things go here and how far we go Grabner will probably feel inclined to stay, if we want him to. He's joined a very positive locker room and a team that is clearly on the upswing. There's no reason to think that if we make some noise and have a good run that he won't want to continue to be a part of it. He doesn't even have to move or anything, though he may feel inclined to in the summer since it would probably be easier living in NJ. 

I was listening to Devils Daily and Dave was saying something about how if the player re-signs when they were acquired as a rental, he doesn't view the trade any differently because they could have just been signed in the offseason. I disagree with that sentiment. It is a lot different for Shero to want to sign him cold on the market when he knows nothing of the team, locker room, coaches, management, fans, arena, life outside the rink... etc... than it is with us having acquired him for a few months. So if he ends up being great for us and we re-sign him then I think you've gotta be more than happy with the move. 

Hoping he finds the scoresheet tonight, he was great on Tuesday and technically did help us grab a goal with a power play on a penalty that he drew. 

6 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

With the buttloads of cap space the Devils have and the relatively cheap contract Grabner will attract (can't imagine more than 3.5m/y for 2 or 3 years) I think he'll be back next year. 

I'd give him that. 

Considering this deal was done a couple of days before the deadline and looking back at it with the deadline day deals in my mind I like it more. I feel like Shero knew he had to move before the craziness started raining down and he'd have to give up too much. If he performs and we can resign him this summer then it's a very very good piece of business. 

• 1 month later...

I thought this trade was great when we did it, what a fvcking bust this turned out to be. fvcking benched for the last three games cause he sucked that much. 

Not blaming Shero or the staff for this one at all, it was a great move just wanted to say go fvck yourself Grabner. Hope he signs out west so we don't have to see this fvcking loser much ever again. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Seemed like his heart was never in it. No more trading with the Rags, Ray. 

I almost half think he did it for the novelty tbh...he kept making comments about how he'd trade with the Rangers if the right deal was there as if that was a goal or something, another thing to seperate us from Lou who never did it.  I never saw the big deal about us not doing it, there are 28-29 other teams in the NHL besides the Rangers and Flyers.  It's tough dealing with a division/geographic rival who you compete with both on and off the ice, I never blamed Lou for it but hey Shero and fans wanted to 'end the cold war' well here you go, a bust trade that's now twice as bad.   

Where I fault the coaching staff is why would you trade for a guy then play him the opposite wing where he was scoring all of his goals, cause he preferred it?  At some point you gotta go back to what was working elsewhere.

Edited by NJDevs4978

A move with the best intentions and a seemingly much better fit than Maroon ended up being the opposite.

Dude just couldn't get anything going, and when he's not scoring goals, he's doing nothing essentially. It's too bad. Thought it was a good move at the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I almost half think he did it for the novelty tbh...he kept making comments about how he'd trade with the Rangers if the right deal was there as if that was a goal or something, another thing to seperate us from Lou who never did it.  I never saw the big deal about us not doing it, there are 28-29 other teams in the NHL besides the Rangers and Flyers.  It's tough dealing with a division/geographic rival who you compete with both on and off the ice, I never blamed Lou for it but hey Shero and fans wanted to 'end the cold war' well here you go, a bust trade that's now twice as bad.   

Where I fault the coaching staff is why would you trade for a guy then play him the opposite wing where he was scoring all of his goals, cause he preferred it?  At some point you gotta go back to what was working elsewhere.

Shero 'made a big deal' about trading with the Rangers because he had the rights to Kovalchuk who the Rangers supposedly wanted and there was a lot of smoke at the time that that as the team he was potentially looking at a deal with.  The Rangers are being linked to Kovalchuk often now and if he signs there you can understand why there was a lot of talk about it a year ago.

I don't think 'making a trade with the Rangers' had anything to do with it - this is fan projection.  Grabner filled a lot of needs and the Devils could get him for less than a 1st round pick.  It didn't work out.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Shero 'made a big deal' about trading with the Rangers because he had the rights to Kovalchuk who the Rangers supposedly wanted and there was a lot of smoke at the time that that as the team he was potentially looking at a deal with.  The Rangers are being linked to Kovalchuk often now and if he signs there you can understand why there was a lot of talk about it a year ago.

I don't think 'making a trade with the Rangers' had anything to do with it - this is fan projection.  Grabner filled a lot of needs and the Devils could get him for less than a 1st round pick.  It didn't work out.

The comments about making a trade with the Rangers were irrespective to the Kovalchuk thing, he also made them before and after it too including at a fan event thing when he first got here when someone did ask if he was going to trade with the Rangers, and also a few days before making the Grabner trade on the podcast almost as if teasing it.  Seemed like from those questions and comments on message boards that fans wanted him to do the un-Lou thing and trade with the Rangers at last.

Maybe they did 'need' Grabner but a 2 and a prospect seemed a bit reckless for a rental given the precarious position we were in and not in line with anything else Shero's done.  Maroon for a 3 was more the type of rental move I thought Shero would do.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Shero got the best he could during the trade deadline period without giving up anything too significant. He wasn't making trades to compete for a Cup, he was making trades to make the team as good as it can be while not sacrificing the future.

That said, Grabner is and always has been a Rangers spy. Good riddance.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The comments about making a trade with the Rangers were irrespective to the Kovalchuk thing, he also made them before and after it too including at a fan event thing when he first got here when someone did ask if he was going to trade with the Rangers, and also a few days before making the Grabner trade on the podcast almost as if teasing it.  Seemed like from those questions and comments on message boards that fans wanted him to do the un-Lou thing and trade with the Rangers at last.

Maybe they did 'need' Grabner but a 2 and a prospect seemed a bit reckless for a rental given the precarious position we were in and not in line with anything else Shero's done.  Maroon for a 3 was more the type of rental move I thought Shero would do.

Someone asked him a question and he answered it.  Did he say 'I'd love to make a trade with the Rangers?'  Since coming to the Devils in 2015, there's more teams that he has made a trade with than he hasn't - he's made a lot of trades since coming here.

Him teasing it on the podcast is probably because he'd been talking deal with Gorton before that.

Maroon for a 3rd was because the prices on wingers were depressed and Shero was able to get in late and pay cheap for a guy that had to move.  He paid early for that, though - he basically set the market with the deal for Grabner.

I didn't hate this move when it was made, other than that it was with the stupid Rags, and I don't hate it now.  It made sense at the time.  Shame it didn't work out, as I think we all were pretty optimistic, but it is what it is.  Let him walk and we'll try to find a better piece/fit.

• Like 1