Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I didn't hate this move when it was made, other than that it was with the stupid Rags, and I don't hate it now.  It made sense at the time.  Shame it didn't work out, as I think we all were pretty optimistic, but it is what it is.  Let him walk and we'll try to find a better piece/fit.

That's exactly right. It's easy to second guess it now because he came in and under performed, but it totally made sense. 27 goals last year, 25 this year up to the time of the trade, he's fast, he's got playoff experience...that's the kind of guy you pick up at the trade deadline to make a run. 

And I also agree, I would not be in any rush to re-sign him. While he was a good piece as a rental, he's not really what I would look for to build toward a deeper Cup run. Most notably, his near total lack of assists is a cause for concern. He had 25 goals and only 6 assists for NYR up until the trade. Previous year, 27 goals and only 13 assists. Looking at his career numbers, his assists are always low, and more often than not, lower than his goal total, which seems backwards; most good offensive layers usually wind up with more assists than goals. 

Career 553 games, 158 Goals, 91 Assists. That seems wrong. 

6 minutes ago, redruM said:

I also thought this was a great move at the time, turned out to be a complete bust, & grabner might have hurt his own value the way he played here.

You're probably right. He earned $1.65M last season...I think he probably will get a one or two year deal for $1.2M per. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's exactly right. It's easy to second guess it now because he came in and under performed, but it totally made sense. 27 goals last year, 25 this year up to the time of the trade, he's fast, he's got playoff experience...that's the kind of guy you pick up at the trade deadline to make a run. 

And I also agree, I would not be in any rush to re-sign him. While he was a good piece as a rental, he's not really what I would look for to build toward a deeper Cup run. Most notably, his near total lack of assists is a cause for concern. He had 25 goals and only 6 assists for NYR up until the trade. Previous year, 27 goals and only 13 assists. Looking at his career numbers, his assists are always low, and more often than not, lower than his goal total, which seems backwards; most good offensive layers usually wind up with more assists than goals. 

Career 553 games, 158 Goals, 91 Assists. That seems wrong. 

Yeah, I think that's a big reason why he seemed invisible for us (well, not seemed, was).  He's not really a set-up man, way more of a finisher.  No idea why he couldn't finish for us, but when he's not doing that, it's clear he's pretty useless.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You're probably right. He earned $1.65M last season...I think he probably will get a one or two year deal for $1.2M per. 

Wow is that all he was making?  Obviously didn't matter much because we only had to pay him for a month or two and now he's a free agent so it matters even less, but I had no idea he was that cheap.  Something must be up with him, beyond him just not tallying assists.  Even if a guy is one-dimensional, scoring 25-30 goals isn't easy, and that usually commands a price.  Crazy that he was makin towards the bottom of the league for someone who's not on an ELC.

Just now, Gunslinger27 said:

Sucks, we gave up a 2nd Rd pick,  and we have no 3rd. WTF :argh:

Yeah, that's what sucks.  It looks like a bad trade now, but no one knew Grabner was going to provide next to nothing for us.  It was still a good deal at the time.  And who knows, maybe Grabner will revive himself elsewhere, and hopefully Shero can make something happen to pick up a pick somewhere -- might not be in the 2nd or 3rd, but maybe another 4th or 6th.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, that's what sucks.  It looks like a bad trade now, but no one knew Grabner was going to provide next to nothing for us.  It was still a good deal at the time.  And who knows, maybe Grabner will revive himself elsewhere, and hopefully Shero can make something happen to pick up a pick somewhere -- might not be in the 2nd or 3rd, but maybe another 4th or 6th.  

Yes,  1st, 4th, 2 5ths,  and 6 and 7th ugh

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Are we really going crazy over the loss of a 2nd and 3rd this year?  Picks in those rounds are typically far from being slam dunks.

No one's going crazy, but it's safe to acknowledge that it sucks to have such a large gap in picks.  

22 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Shero got the best he could during the trade deadline period without giving up anything too significant. He wasn't making trades to compete for a Cup, he was making trades to make the team as good as it can be while not sacrificing the future.

That said, Grabner is and always has been a Rangers spy. Good riddance.

Agreed.  This group deserved for management to get them a little help at the TDL towards the goal of reaching the playoffs and Shero didn't have the benefit of knowing Maroon would fall into his lap in the last 10 minutes on TDL day at the time of the Grabner trade.   

It seems like this should have worked out better than it did but at least you can see the thinking behind it.  Oh well, let him walk and move on.     

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He scored 27 goals in each of the last two seasons and was a +33 (for whatever that's worth).  Also has some intangibles, and UFAs tend to get overpaid anyway.  I think he gets well over $2 mil per season.  He should probably just go back to the Rangers if they want him...for some reason he seems to find the net there...he scores at a tick just below 32 G per 82 GP as a Ranger.  Wish we had seen a friggin' fraction of that, but oh well...unfortunately if you look at his Ranger numbers this season, he was really due for a regression before he got here...he was shooting 19.1% as a Ranger in 2017-18, which would have been a career high by a lot if it had held up.  He finished the season at 16.2% (5.6 as a Devil), which was about the same as his 16.7% last year.

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Are we really going crazy over the loss of a 2nd and 3rd this year?  Picks in those rounds are typically far from being slam dunks.

Agree, if the Devils hadn't made the playoffs and Shero didn't make those moves, he's getting ripped for having stood pat and not doing anything to fortify the team...gotta give a little to get.  Grabner made tons of sense, but like many have noted, sometimes these things just don't work out.  Even now there's a part of me that wonders what he could do here with a full season to get fully acclimated, but I'll be stunned if he's back...the healthy scratches during the playoffs pretty much signal to me that there's no way he's a Devil next year.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Sometimes trades just don't work out.  The conspiracy theories and hysterics over this is amusing.

Oh yeah, I love that stuff. He deliberately played like a$$ to benefit a team he was part of for 2 years. Yup, sounds right. 

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Some are. It's the price of doing business. Some years you have a ton of picks, some years you don't. Some years you have to make a splash by trading and signing free agents. I hope this is the year. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He scored 27 goals in each of the last two seasons and was a +33 (for whatever that's worth).  Also has some intangibles, and UFAs tend to get overpaid anyway.  I think he gets well over $2 mil per season.  He should probably just go back to the Rangers if they want him...for some reason he seems to find the net there...he scores at a tick just below 32 G per 82 GP as a Ranger.  Wish we had seen a friggin' fraction of that, but oh well. 

But then he completely disappeared and was benched in the playoffs. I see that as lowering his stock. But you could be right, especially if he goes back to the Rangers.

Also, to sh!t on him further, he scored 25 goals for the Rangers this year but at least 7 were into an empty net. So if you go solely by stats, yeah, he scored 25 goals. But its not as impressive in substance as it is on its face. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

If it was a 1st rounder I would probably be annoyed.  However I am not going to go crazy over picks that can be described as "maybe" and "Probably not."  We still have something like 6 picks in 7 rounds this year don't we?  I don't think that's bad.

It's fine. You don't want to do that EVERY year, but this year, its fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

But then he completely disappeared and was benched in the playoffs. I see that as lowering his stock. But you could be right, especially if he goes back to the Rangers.

Also, to sh!t on him further, he scored 25 goals for the Rangers this year but at least 7 were into an empty net. So if you go solely by stats, yeah, he scored 25 goals. But its not as impressive in substance as it is on its face. 

He's still found the net a fair amount.  Probably going to take more than not producing as a short-term Devil to hurt his stock much.

Keep in mind when the Rangers signed him, he was coming off an 18-point season...he didn't do much here, but he's definitely worth more than $1.65 million now.  The Rangers got serious value for his contract (2 years, $3.3 million).

I'm guessing if the bids are in the low $2 million range, Rangers step up with a 3-year, $7.5-$8 million offer and get him back.  I could see Shero possibly offering something at 2 years in at $2-2.2 million per, but he would promptly be outbid.  The only way Grabner will ever be back is if it's at Shero's price...kind of a "Well if you want to fall into my lap and you love being a Devil that much, fine, but I'm definitely not killing myself to keep you" kind of offer.