Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't care about the picks, just wanted to bump the thread to say fvck you Grabner lol

lol not you but others seem to be taking the loss of those picks pretty hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Are we really going crazy over the loss of a 2nd and 3rd this year?  Picks in those rounds are typically far from being slam dunks.

No one's going crazy, but it's safe to acknowledge that it sucks to have such a large gap in picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Shero got the best he could during the trade deadline period without giving up anything too significant. He wasn't making trades to compete for a Cup, he was making trades to make the team as good as it can be while not sacrificing the future.

That said, Grabner is and always has been a Rangers spy. Good riddance.

Agreed.  This group deserved for management to get them a little help at the TDL towards the goal of reaching the playoffs and Shero didn't have the benefit of knowing Maroon would fall into his lap in the last 10 minutes on TDL day at the time of the Grabner trade.   

It seems like this should have worked out better than it did but at least you can see the thinking behind it.  Oh well, let him walk and move on.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You're probably right. He earned $1.65M last season...I think he probably will get a one or two year deal for $1.2M per. 

He scored 27 goals in each of the last two seasons and was a +33 (for whatever that's worth).  Also has some intangibles, and UFAs tend to get overpaid anyway.  I think he gets well over $2 mil per season.  He should probably just go back to the Rangers if they want him...for some reason he seems to find the net there...he scores at a tick just below 32 G per 82 GP as a Ranger.  Wish we had seen a friggin' fraction of that, but oh well...unfortunately if you look at his Ranger numbers this season, he was really due for a regression before he got here...he was shooting 19.1% as a Ranger in 2017-18, which would have been a career high by a lot if it had held up.  He finished the season at 16.2% (5.6 as a Devil), which was about the same as his 16.7% last year.

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Are we really going crazy over the loss of a 2nd and 3rd this year?  Picks in those rounds are typically far from being slam dunks.

Agree, if the Devils hadn't made the playoffs and Shero didn't make those moves, he's getting ripped for having stood pat and not doing anything to fortify the team...gotta give a little to get.  Grabner made tons of sense, but like many have noted, sometimes these things just don't work out.  Even now there's a part of me that wonders what he could do here with a full season to get fully acclimated, but I'll be stunned if he's back...the healthy scratches during the playoffs pretty much signal to me that there's no way he's a Devil next year.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Sometimes trades just don't work out.  The conspiracy theories and hysterics over this is amusing.

Oh yeah, I love that stuff. He deliberately played like a$$ to benefit a team he was part of for 2 years. Yup, sounds right. 

 

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Are we really going crazy over the loss of a 2nd and 3rd this year?  Picks in those rounds are typically far from being slam dunks.

Some are. It's the price of doing business. Some years you have a ton of picks, some years you don't. Some years you have to make a splash by trading and signing free agents. I hope this is the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He scored 27 goals in each of the last two seasons and was a +33 (for whatever that's worth).  Also has some intangibles, and UFAs tend to get overpaid anyway.  I think he gets well over $2 mil per season.  He should probably just go back to the Rangers if they want him...for some reason he seems to find the net there...he scores at a tick just below 32 G per 82 GP as a Ranger.  Wish we had seen a friggin' fraction of that, but oh well. 

But then he completely disappeared and was benched in the playoffs. I see that as lowering his stock. But you could be right, especially if he goes back to the Rangers.

Also, to sh!t on him further, he scored 25 goals for the Rangers this year but at least 7 were into an empty net. So if you go solely by stats, yeah, he scored 25 goals. But its not as impressive in substance as it is on its face. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was a 1st rounder I would probably be annoyed.  However I am not going to go crazy over picks that can be described as "maybe" and "Probably not."  We still have something like 6 picks in 7 rounds this year don't we?  I don't think that's bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DevsMan84 said:

If it was a 1st rounder I would probably be annoyed.  However I am not going to go crazy over picks that can be described as "maybe" and "Probably not."  We still have something like 6 picks in 7 rounds this year don't we?  I don't think that's bad.

It's fine. You don't want to do that EVERY year, but this year, its fine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mfitz804 said:

It's fine. You don't want to do that EVERY year, but this year, its fine. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

But then he completely disappeared and was benched in the playoffs. I see that as lowering his stock. But you could be right, especially if he goes back to the Rangers.

Also, to sh!t on him further, he scored 25 goals for the Rangers this year but at least 7 were into an empty net. So if you go solely by stats, yeah, he scored 25 goals. But its not as impressive in substance as it is on its face. 

He's still found the net a fair amount.  Probably going to take more than not producing as a short-term Devil to hurt his stock much.

Keep in mind when the Rangers signed him, he was coming off an 18-point season...he didn't do much here, but he's definitely worth more than $1.65 million now.  The Rangers got serious value for his contract (2 years, $3.3 million).

I'm guessing if the bids are in the low $2 million range, Rangers step up with a 3-year, $7.5-$8 million offer and get him back.  I could see Shero possibly offering something at 2 years in at $2-2.2 million per, but he would promptly be outbid.  The only way Grabner will ever be back is if it's at Shero's price...kind of a "Well if you want to fall into my lap and you love being a Devil that much, fine, but I'm definitely not killing myself to keep you" kind of offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive seen better furniture rentals in south florida. luckily it didnt cost us much.. good riddance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×