Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

41 minutes ago, sokar said:

With our current healthy line up I could see it looking like this

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Grabner- Zacha - Bratt
Wood - Zajac - Noesen
Coleman - Boyle - Stafford

I like this line up, one minor change, put Bratt on top and Palmieri bottom. I think Zacha would have more chemistry here and HHB already have played together.

26 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I like this line up, one minor change, put Bratt on top and Palmieri bottom. I think Zacha would have more chemistry here and HHB already have played together.

Bratt hasn’t played well in a long time, I wouldn’t want him getting first line minutes. 

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't see Bratt dropping to the 4th line, he'll probably be a top 6 fixture. If/when we're all healthy, I'd expect something like

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - Bratt
Wood - Zajac - Grabner
Gibbons - Boyle - Noesen
Coleman, Stafford/Hayes

Basically my thought process is to counter Zajac's offensive deficiencies with blazing speed on the wings that can create chances out of nowhere, so even if Zajac isn't creating offense the line as a whole can by just using their legs on the rush and on the forecheck

I would love to see the speed of Wood / Grabner on the same line!

Going to post a bunch of bullets from a Todd Cordell article because he makes some very good points IMHO: 

2) Grabner is a fantastic penalty killer. Elite, even. Over the last two seasons, 79 forwards have logged at least 200 minutes while down a man. Grabner ranks 6th in shot suppression, and 1st in goals against/60 and 2nd in expected goals for%, meaning the Rangers were able to generate more than their share of chances with him on the ice. He’ll make an already potent, and threatening, Devils penalty kill that much better.

3) With Grabner in the mix, the Devils have to be at or near the top of the list in terms of fastest teams in the NHL. Taylor Hall, Miles Wood, and Grabner are truly elite skaters who could best almost any player in a race and the team in general is very fast and capable of keeping up in high-pace games. When John Hynes took over, he said he wanted the team to play a fast, attacking, and supportive style. Grabner certainly fits that description.

4) As much as anything, I think this trade was made for Hall. He is so desperate to get into the playoffs and his Hart Trophy caliber season has put the Devils in a great situation. Nobody could have envisioned this prior to the season. The rookies have been great and all, but Hall is the biggest reason they are where they are. He has earned some help and I think he’ll greatly appreciate it. The Devils would *probably* squeak in even without Grabner but could you imagine the wheels fell off and they missed despite Hall’s efforts? He’d be crushed and I think it’d leave a horribly sour taste in his mouth. Hall has played for losing teams his entire NHL career and he’s sick of it. Getting to the playoffs would keep him happy, which is very important. He needs a new contract soon.

5) Are the Devils true Stanley Cup contenders? No. But getting to the playoffs is still very important for a few reasons. Keeping Hall happy is a big one. Getting the guys experience is another. Hall is 26 and has never tasted playoff hockey at the NHL level. After him, the Devils’ leading scorers are three rookies (Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Will Butcher) and a 22-year-old Miles Wood. Beyond that, Damon Severson is only 23. Pavel Zacha is 20. Cory Schneider has never been *the* guy in the playoffs. Getting this core some reps is important and, again, they’ve earned some help with their play this season. Toronto did the exact same thing as New Jersey a year ago when they parted with a 2nd to acquire Brian Boyle for their playoff push. It resulted in a 1st round loss to Washington but I don’t think anyone in Toronto’s management group, or any of their fans, are complaining about how things turned out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=91211

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone is saying, "This is a good trade if the Devils sign Grabner in the offseason..."  Grabner was "up for grabs" (no pun intended) when he was UFA a few years ago and the Devils balked for whatever reason.  So, what bothers me is this guy could have been had for free in his UFA year rather than having had exchanged a 2nd and Rykov for him now.

8 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I don't know why everyone is saying, "This is a good trade if the Devils sign Grabner in the offseason..."  Grabner was "up for grabs" (no pun intended) when he was UFA a few years ago and the Devils balked for whatever reason.  So, what bothers me is this guy could have been had for free in his UFA year rather than having had exchanged a 2nd and Rykov for him now.

It’s a better deal if he re-signs. If he doesn’t, we threw assets away. 

Edited by mfitz804

7 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I mean - we may not have been ready for him. Now, you could argue - we are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redruM said:

has Anyone seen any comments from grabner? 

Here's a video - I'm sure one of the writers will transcribe and get an article up soon: https://www.nhl.com/devils/video/grabner-meets-with-media/t-277437418/c-58112303

ETA: article with quotes: https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2018/02/23/michael-grabner-john-hynes-react-first-ever-devils-rangers-trade-gm-ray-shero-nhl-playoffs/369128002/

Edited by LittleBallofHate

4 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

They didn't "balk" - Ray said they've been interested in him for awhile. Grabs said something about knowing someone on the NYR coaching staff so he may have just wanted to play there (he said something about finding his game again with that coach). 

ETA: AG tweet  #NJDevils GM Ray Shero says organization has liked Michael Grabner for a couple of years, likes speed he brings and how he'll fit into identity of what team is trying to build.

ETA 2: Other quote from AG article: On playing for Alain Vigneaut both with the Canucks and Rangers: "My first year we had a pretty deep team in Vancouver, a lot of older guys, they were trying to make the push. I only played like 20 some games there so that’s why I signed back with the Rangers because I think I fit with him and (Scott) Arniel from Manitoba, he was my head coach, he kind of helped me going in there and obviously it paid off for the last couple of years."

Edited by LittleBallofHate
ETA AG quote