Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

This was a pretty good read: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/five-questions-with-ray-shero/c-296291010

He said there was a hole in the lineup where MoJo should be (but still hopes he comes back this year); Grabner is supposed to fill that hole & add depth. 

Also: Between Vatanen and Grabner, do you feel like you're done dealing?

"I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel here, I do like our team. But you're in touch [with other GM's] in case something happens to our team by Monday, 3 p.m. Or someone is available that I wasn't sure of, something that makes sense, a hockey trade. You're in touch with teams because it might not be today that you make a deal, it might be at the draft. The seeds are being planted so it's always a great time to chat with every GM in the league and do your due diligence and gather information. We'll see what happens Monday at 3."

• Like 3

A couple of Hall quotes - sorry if someone else has already posted them and I somehow missed them  :D 

“It’s a great piece for our team and a guy that you’d want to have on your team,” said leading scorer Taylor Hall, who will bring an NHL-best 13-game point streak into Saturday’s game and a personal 20-game point streak. “He’s got a ton of speed and he fits into exactly how we want to play as a group. Hopefully he’s a guy that can play here for more than just this year.

“I don’t want to speak for Ray but he obviously wants us to experience the playoffs and he wants us to go down the stretch with some confidence and it’s a clear sign he expects us to be there at the end of the year,” Hall added. “It’s great for our team and our confidence and mentality.”

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Any truth to these moronic Karlsson rumors or nah?

I have no idea. All i know is that we may never know unless it's happening lol

What a lot of people are failing to understand is that... it's not because a trade is not happening that the rumour was bullsh!t. Many many deals are attempted and looked into but both sides just can't make it work and they move on. Sometimes those attempts are reported and sometimes they are not. 

That's not to say any rumours are true either. 

Edited by SterioDesign

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

if you guys had to pick between re-signing Grabner this summer or signing Van Riemsdyk ? Who would you pick? 

I think Grabner is a better fit so him but I would wait to see how he actually does as a Devil before making a final determination

• Like 1

I go with Grabner...he has the much better chance to be somewhere between a relative bargain and perfectly fair value.  JVR will likely be the classic overpaid UFA, especially in terms of years.  Like Tri said, you can get Grabner on a much more reasonable contract all around.  I just hope Shero can hang onto him, because he seems like he's going to fit in very well here.   

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I go with Grabner...he has the much better chance to be somewhere between a relative bargain and perfectly fair value.  JVR will likely be the classic overpaid UFA, especially in terms of years.  Like Tri said, you can get Grabner on a much more reasonable contract all around.  I just hope Shero can hang onto him, because he seems like he's going to fit in very well here.   

Couldn’t be said better. 

Hoping Grabner doesn't have some sort of deal with the Rags where he just goes back at the end of the season. 
I feel very suspicious of a sudden willingness for them to do a deal with us. 

There really isn't anything we won't be paranoid about, is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hoping Grabner doesn't have some sort of deal with the Rags where he just goes back at the end of the season. 

I feel very suspicious of a sudden willingness for them to do a deal with us. 

The Rangers are rebuilding and they will almost certainly have a new coach.  Plus if he goes back, he won't know half the locker room, there's been that much turnover.  I'm not worried about this - it might happen, but it seems unlikely.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Rangers are rebuilding and they will almost certainly have a new coach.  Plus if he goes back, he won't know half the locker room, there's been that much turnover.  I'm not worried about this - it might happen, but it seems unlikely.

Agreed, they'll look to replace him with a cheaper version, if anything. 

• Like 1

Why would Grabner want to go back to that dumpster fire when he could stay on a team with Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier, that also happens to play a style that is perfect for his game? I know them lights are bright, but c’mon...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Why would Grabner want to go back to that dumpster fire when he could stay on a team with Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier, that also happens to play a style that is perfect for his game? I know them lights are bright, but c’mon...

You never know with these guys (though I think Tri summed it up well, he could go back there, but just seems unlikely), but at the same time, if he's decides that winning is most important, he'll either stay here or sign with a team that has a legit shot to win a Cup.  That is definitely not the Rangers for at least next season, possibly more. 

38 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Also, how many times has that actually ever happened? A guy getting traded and then immediately going back to the team who traded him? I am sure there are a few instances but it seems to come up every single time a guy is traded.