All purpose Patrik Elias memories and love topic

roomtemp

His number is being retired Saturday but lets gush, tell stories and heap accolades on him in here.

My mom's favorite player. Thought he was cute when she started watching after the lockout. She loves those eastern European types since she is from Poland. His soccer assist against the Rags in the first post lockout playoff game is a fav of hers. Saw that one live.

Also was there for him breaking the franchise points record. That was cool.

My friend has a poster signed by him from Manhattan college because I think he is friends with the trainer or something there. The reason my friend has it because Elias fvcked up the inscription. He misspelled college

Edited by roomtemp
  • Like 1

I hadn't been a Devils fan for all that long when Elias started getting called up from the minors.  Never really thought a lot about him when he was called up in 96-97 either.  Sykora was always the important one, Elias was this other guy, even when he had a solid rookie season in 98.  In 98-99 the A line was put together but it felt like Elias couldn't finish - that's my memory of him from 98-99 is him blowing chance over chance.  That seemed to be the consensus on the nj.com forums when I arrived there in the summer of 1999.  It changed in 2000, obviously.  It's easy to forget now, but in 2000, the Devils simply did not win games in overtime in the playoffs.  They hadn't for the last half-decade.  For Elias to score that goal late in Game 7, he not only saved us from the nightmare of the Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals, he saved us from the nightmare of overtime in a Game 7.

Still remember being drunk sitting at my computer refreshing TSN.ca/nhl/ on July 1, 2006.  We had been hearing all day that Elias was going to sign with the Rangers and then boom, 'Elias signs 7 year deal to remain with Devils'.  

I feel like a lot of Devils fans have taken Elias for granted.  He made everyone he played with a better player, and it was hard to notice that when he was playing with guys like Arnott and Sykora who already had established careers.  It became easier during the later years when he got to play with lesser talents, clearly elevating them.  Still, he's underappreciated in general.  I hope he gets the reception he deserves tomorrow.  He's a Hall of Fame player and by all indications, it seems like he's a good guy away from the ice as well.

• Like 7

This one has always been my favorite.

A close second.

Otherwise, my earliest memory of him, which might be wrong was about how he was in Lemaire’s doghouse.  So sometimes you just can’t give up on people, and GMs probably should not listen to my talent evaluations.

Oh, and I went to college in Philly.  One sports radio show host would always talk about how Elias was a Flyer killer and he hated Elias, the Devils and all Devils fans.  Feels good to be appreciated.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3

Throughout the course of NJ Devils history, a history that Lou planned and shaped, an idea has oft arisen in the minds of Devils fans - an idea that might be truth or then yet again delusion, it's an idea that we don't say aloud - that there is a moral and intellectual superiority to being a "prototypical Devil," a player who is defined by a certain level of will that allows for the sacrifice of personal accomplishment in the name of collective victory, and who honors himself not by sitting atop the scoresheet, but by honoring the culture of Devilhood, whatever that means. I'm not sure many Devils players really ever fit this standard more than we as fans just made adjustments to our thinking in order to say they did. Then again, maybe it was just easy to look good when the Rangers perpetually suck next door. But I digress, I'm not sure it ever meant much of anything to call someone a "prototypical Devil."

Except for Patrik Elias of course, he was a prototypical Devil. Why so? I'm not really sure anymore. I guess when I was younger, in my head he would have scored 1500 points if it wasn't for the trap, the team's commitment to defense, and the fact that he could never find a linemate good enough to keep up. And as such, his noble sacrifice exemplified the holy code, the Way of the Devils. But then again, he did play with some great players and fit in on some high-scoring lines. I thought, "here's a guy who will score 120 points one day and win the Hart." He never did. Through my red-tinted lenses, from the first time I saw Elias on the ice, I knew he was the greatest passer of all-time. I saw him as a top-5 league talent who played defense because that's the damn right thing to do. It took some growing up to realize there was a lot of players out there who could pass well and had top talent, more talent even, and who were defensively responsible. At least Patty loved the Devils, more than anything else, he'd die before he left. But then...he almost signed with the Rangers. I mostly just pretended that didn't happen up until I was of wise enough mind to realize life is complicated and it wasn't such a big deal (but it was, Rangers suck!). 

Patrik Elias wasn't perfect. But, despite all of the things I just mentioned above, he was as damn near close to perfect as we ever came. And despite not being heralded as one of the league's all-time greats, he did some things that are indeed to be preserved in the elite annals of hockey. He played 1,200+ games for one franchise and scored 1,000+ points for the same. He is the Devils all time leading scorer in goals, assists, points, and shots. He has the most points by a Devil in one playoff season (23) and is the franchise leader in shots as well. He also won two Cups with the team, and most importantly off all, made perhaps the greatest pass in NHL playoff history, to win one of said Cups. Oh, and he's always seemed to be a damn nice guy.. And despite not every myth about him being true, some of them are. There is a reason he is the first NJ Devils' forward going to the rafters. He sacrificed for the system as much as was needed, he was a true team player, and cared for his teammates to the point of tears. And if the HOF selection committee knows hockey, they'll put Patty in in short order.

Patrik was a special player, with a humility that opposed his great abilities, and who is everything that has made this franchise great.  It seems like just yesterday I was watching him play tic-tac-toe across the ice with Arnott and Sykora. Now here we are, two decades passed from Elias's first NHL game. He was just a kid only yesterday right? But..he had already played damn well near 100 games by the time one Nico Hischier was born in Naters, Switzerland. Time flies, it really does. And throughout all of our lifetimes there will only be a few generations of players we get to see play their careers from start to finish and for me, one of those generations was damn well spent on Patrik Elias.

• Like 5

Elias was always my guy - when he started coming on in ‘99, I was all in. 

I’ve been at many games in my life including game 7 2003. Of course it was amazing. 

But Game 7 ECF 2000 in Philly - I was there in my Elias jersey and I was sure I was going to be murdered. That was my favorite live sporting event I’ve ever attended and Elias made it. 

• Like 5

There were just so many awesome Elias moments, that it's impossible for me to try to pick one or two.  I think part of his appeal is that he wasn't always great, in spite of his many achievements...it wasn't always smooth sailing here...given the 'C' and then having it taken away, a couple of snake-bitten seasons where he did a lot of rafter-staring, always being expected to do his thing regardless of the chum he was forced to work with...we all know about frustrations in the work place, and seeing our top forward having to go through his own somehow made him that much more relatable to us.  

And neb00rs is so dead-on about time going so damned fast...too fast.  I was a teenager when I first became a Devils fan (in 1983), and saw Daneyko doing his thing.  Then I was in my early 20s when Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur all became a huge part of the success that was to come.  I was just entering my late 20s when Elias was first called up...and now I'm less than three years away from turning 50.  I have so many vivid memories of all five of these number retirees, and as much as it feels like forever since I watched them all play, it feels like yesterday too.  

Come to think of it, there is a moment now that really jumps out at me, and it's one that I didn't even know about, until I read about it from Elias himself.  I knew he almost signed with the Rangers and had known about that for years.  I had heard that a sticking point had been Sather's refusal to include a NTC in the Rangers' offer.  I didn't know that Lou had basically said "Can't afford ya, soyonara" to him, and that Elias' heart had always been 100% with the Devils, even when such sentiments weren't always reciprocated.  For Patrik to almost beg Lou to reconsider, when he had a fine offer on the table from a team that, let's face it, a lot of NHLers would die to play for...the guy bled the red and black more than I ever knew.  Wore the colors as proudly as any Devil ever, even when his GM and his franchise weren't always doing right by him.  

So to that, I just say thank you Patrik...not for just being the player you were, but for the most special and amazing person that you are.  And for loving being a New Jersey Devil.  

• Like 5

I wasnt a big devils fan when he came up, so there arent any particular moments that stick out to me.. what does stick out is/was his style of play.. always admired his elite stick handling and it was elite.. he had that puck on a string in heavy traffic and still knew were everyone on the ice was.. smooth and class but with an edge and a chip on his shoulder

• Like 1

Throughout the course of NJ Devils history, a history that Lou planned and shaped, an idea has oft arisen in the minds of Devils fans - an idea that might be truth or then yet again delusion, it's an idea that we don't say aloud - that there is a moral and intellectual superiority to being a "prototypical Devil," a player who is defined by a certain level of will that allows for the sacrifice of personal accomplishment in the name of collective victory, and who honors himself not by sitting atop the scoresheet, but by honoring the culture of Devilhood, whatever that means. I'm not sure many Devils players really ever fit this standard more than we as fans just made adjustments to our thinking in order to say they did. Then again, maybe it was just easy to look good when the Rangers perpetually suck next door. But I digress, I'm not sure it ever meant much of anything to call someone a "prototypical Devil."
Except for Patrik Elias of course, he was a prototypical Devil. Why so? I'm not really sure anymore. I guess when I was younger, in my head he would have scored 1500 points if it wasn't for the trap, the team's commitment to defense, and the fact that he could never find a linemate good enough to keep up. And as such, his noble sacrifice exemplified the holy code, the Way of the Devils. But then again, he did play with some great players and fit in on some high-scoring lines. I thought, "here's a guy who will score 120 points one day and win the Hart." He never did. Through my red-tinted lenses, from the first time I saw Elias on the ice, I knew he was the greatest passer of all-time. I saw him as a top-5 league talent who played defense because that's the damn right thing to do. It took some growing up to realize there was a lot of players out there who could pass well and had top talent, more talent even, and who were defensively responsible. At least Patty loved the Devils, more than anything else, he'd die before he left. But then...he almost signed with the Rangers. I mostly just pretended that didn't happen up until I was of wise enough mind to realize life is complicated and it wasn't such a big deal (but it was, Rangers suck!). 
Patrik Elias wasn't perfect. But, despite all of the things I just mentioned above, he was as damn near close to perfect as we ever came. And despite not being heralded as one of the league's all-time greats, he did some things that are indeed to be preserved in the elite annals of hockey. He played 1,200+ games for one franchise and scored 1,000+ points for the same. He is the Devils all time leading scorer in goals, assists, points, and shots. He has the most points by a Devil in one playoff season (23) and is the franchise leader in shots as well. He also won two Cups with the team, and most importantly off all, made perhaps the greatest pass in NHL playoff history, to win one of said Cups. Oh, and he's always seemed to be a damn nice guy.. And despite not every myth about him being true, some of them are. There is a reason he is the first NJ Devils' forward going to the rafters. He sacrificed for the system as much as was needed, he was a true team player, and cared for his teammates to the point of tears. And if the HOF selection committee knows hockey, they'll put Patty in in short order.
Patrik was a special player, with a humility that opposed his great abilities, and who is everything that has made this franchise great.  It seems like just yesterday I was watching him play tic-tac-toe across the ice with Arnott and Sykora. Now here we are, two decades passed from Elias's first NHL game. He was just a kid only yesterday right? But..he had already played damn well near 100 games by the time one Nico Hischier was born in Naters, Switzerland. Time flies, it really does. And throughout all of our lifetimes there will only be a few generations of players we get to see play their careers from start to finish and for me, one of those generations was damn well spent on Patrik Elias.

Amazing post Neb. I couldn't have put it any better. Patrik Elias embodied the Devils in every way. Truly a Devil Forever. Thank you Patty. For all of it, but especially your loyalty. I'll always be grateful you made that call to Lou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Elias game winner in OT against the Leafs for the hat trick was pretty awesome.   If I remember the game correctly, the Leafs scored two early on a major penalty to Jim McKenzie for beating the snot out of Domi, who completely turtled.   This was the first regular season matchup against the Leafs after Domi's elbow to Niedermayer.    That was one of the best regular season games that I've been to. 

Elias also tied the game with 45 seconds to go in the 3rd.   

Edited by pattyelias
  • Like 1

I've mentioned this many times here before but Elias is both my all time favorite Devils and player.  I remember him faintly in his first couple of years but really started loving him in the 99-00 season.  By 2000-01 season in his monster 40-goal and 96-point season it felt like we finally had that homegrown full-fledged NHL superstar player.  As others have mentioned Elias probably sacrificed 200+ points to stick with the Devils and their system in order to win those two cups in 2000 and 2003.  He really is the last from the dynasty era Devils of the late 90's and especially early 2000's.  I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times over the years and he is as gracious and humble as he seems in his interviews.  I won't say I will not shed a tear or two today, but it will be bittersweet to see his number finally raised to the rafters where it belongs.

In honor of my favorite player whose number is being retired today, here is my current Patrik Elias game worn collection:

1) 95-96 white set 1 River Rats.  Scored his first point as a pro in North America in this jersey.  (I have this photomatched but for some odd reason the A was added after he finished wearing it).
2) 2001-02 white set 2
3 2013-14 white set 1 (also wore it in first game in Brooklyn which was a preseason game)
4) 14-15 red set 1

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

• Like 6

Elias better not be wearing a floatie pajama top tonight...just sayin', heh heh.  

You gonna wear one of those tonight my man?  

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Elias better not be wearing a floatie pajama top tonight...just sayin', heh heh.  

You gonna wear one of those tonight my man?  

Haha nah as I would freak out if someone spills something on it.  I don't want to miss the ceremony as I would be in jail.

I'm wearing my authentic team issued Reebok Edge 2.0 retro Elias jersey done up by EPS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Haha nah as I would freak out if someone spills something on it.  I don't want to miss the ceremony as I would be in jail.

I'm wearing my authentic team issued Reebok Edge 2.0 retro Elias jersey done up by EPS.

Just do it, while eating nachos. Live life on the edge!!

love the new background for the site but the text should be set to white cause grey on a grey busy background  is making it really hard to read. I actually can't read the title of the topic

not sure if it's only temporary or not... 

just my graphic designer nitpickiness kicking in

28417546_10160049062430300_598305136_o.p

Edited by SterioDesign

I love Patty. I'm in my early twenties, so I was really young when I became a Devils fan in 2003 (6 years old). My grandfather went on vacation to New Jersey, and bought me a Devils hat. I became a fan, and I was hooked, mostly because of Marty as I'm from Quebec. I instantly started following hockey and the Devils and  fell in love with Patrick's game. I tried to play like him: being an offensive threat, while also being great defensively. I always saw him as the ''perfect Devil''. Congratulations Patrick and thank you for the great moments that you have brought us. 

Edited by Devs3cups

On 2/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, jagknife said:

I stayed up to watch Game 6 since my last freshman high school final was the day prior. From his assist on the Arnott winner to him skating around wearing Sykora's jersey will forever be imprinted in my memory.

I was in law school (which wasn’t in session) and still living in my parents’ house, watching it in my childhood bedroom. I still remember it like it was yesterday, where the TV was positioned, etc., and completely bugging out celebrating completely silently so I didn’t wake anyone up. Lots of jumping around and fist pumping. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, Daniel said:

This one has always been my favorite.

A close second.

Otherwise, my earliest memory of him, which might be wrong was about how he was in Lemaire’s doghouse.  So sometimes you just can’t give up on people, and GMs probably should not listen to my talent evaluations.

Oh, and I went to college in Philly.  One sports radio show host would always talk about how Elias was a Flyer killer and he hated Elias, the Devils and all Devils fans.  Feels good to be appreciated.

That was an amazing play, reading his article in the Players Tribune just shows how much extra work he put into being a great player.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Come to think of it, there is a moment now that really jumps out at me, and it's one that I didn't even know about, until I read about it from Elias himself.  I knew he almost signed with the Rangers and had known about that for years.  I had heard that a sticking point had been Sather's refusal to include a NTC in the Rangers' offer.  I didn't know that Lou had basically said "Can't afford ya, soyonara" to him, and that Elias' heart had always been 100% with the Devils, even when such sentiments weren't always reciprocated.  For Patrik to almost beg Lou to reconsider, when he had a fine offer on the table from a team that, let's face it, a lot of NHLers would die to play for...the guy bled the red and black more than I ever knew.  Wore the colors as proudly as any Devil ever, even when his GM and his franchise weren't always doing right by him.  

You can tell it eats at him too. I've saw Elias talk about the almost becoming a Ranger thing a few weeks ago on some radio show and he was uncomfortable but it seemed like he didn't want to deny it. He didn't have to mention it in his speech tonight but he wanted it off his chest, he wanted that skeleton out of his closet. And it's not entirely fair because, well...what you said.

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

You can tell it eats at him too. I've saw Elias talk about the almost becoming a Ranger thing a few weeks ago on some radio show and he was uncomfortable but it seemed like he didn't want to deny it. He didn't have to mention it in his speech tonight but he wanted it off his chest, he wanted that skeleton out of his closet. And it's not entirely fair because, well...what you said.

Hearing Elias' first-hand account of that whole thing (in that Players' Tribune article) really put that all into a completely new context.  One of those situations where what was the guy supposed to do?  Lou had basically led Elias to believe that there was no money in the Devils' budget to bring him back...and it sure sounded like Lou was pretty cold about it initially...I can't blame Elias for trying to find a job, and for not feeling like he owed the Devils anything (like not leaving them to sign with their hated rival) when Lou acted like Elias could just be discarded like he really wasn't all that important.  And it might've stung a bit that Lou was easily willing to go to the max for Nieds, but was just as willing to say "Nope, can't afford you" when it came to Patrik. 

I think there was a very exclusive club of players who for some reason were able to get very close to Lou (like Marty)...it doesn't sound like Patrik was one of them, despite spending his whole career here (and even getting that last Lifetime Achievement Contract that was, in terms of pure value, going to be questionable at best).  It sounds like Lou and Patrik shared more of a begrudging mutual respect more than anything else, partly because I think they had very different ideas and views when it came to hockey...but long-term success forced them both to say "Well, it's working, so we'll go with it."  And it sounded like Patrik had a way of sizing up Lou and going back at him in way that few others dared.

Another way to look at it...if Marty's ceremony had been last night, does anyone think that Lou doesn't make it?  The fact that he wasn't there says a lot about their relationship...which I think was rocky and complex throughout.  As much as Patrik clearly loved the Devils and much of what came with playing with them, I think Lou's actually pretty low on his list.

• Like 2