GDT: Thank You Patty (6PM ceremony, 8PM puckdrop)

RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, hystyk28 said:

Does anyone think that he may be pissed with the emphasis that was placed on Elias on staying with one team? Seemed very repetitive.

Nah. It was either Marty just being Marty or something we don't know about entirely. I'm absolutely sure it had nothing to do with Elias. Marty tweeted out a pic of him and Elias earlier.

1 minute ago, hystyk28 said:

Does anyone think that he may be pissed with the emphasis that was placed on Elias on staying with one team? Seemed very repetitive.

It bears repeating. It’s a special an unique thing for a player of his quality to play their entire career with one team. In any sport. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The Langs/Sutter era wasn't a particularly happy one for Elias.

Was there something with Madden though? He was one of my favorite Devils ever, so I’d be bummed to find out there was some kind of bad blood with Patty or the organization. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Was there something with Madden though? He was one of my favorite Devils ever, so I’d be bummed to find out there was some kind of bad blood with Patty or the organization. 

I don't think Madden was much liked by many of the players on the team. And I think those feelings were requited by Madden himself.

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man, if you didn't happen to notice that there was a lot more wrong with the Nieds banner other than the "2" (as in the letter font, the "7", and the weird "4" in 2004), no wonder you rely so heavily on numbers and not your eyes to make your points.

The "2" bothered me the most.  And all of the numbers and stats I post actually confirm what my eyes see.  Unfortunately, there are people who still think Vatanen, Lovejoy, Moore, and Severson all suck.  Yet my eyes and the numbers say otherwise.

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You have 20 bullet points. Please pick 6 other random as fvck stats so this can be memorialized properly.

I have no idea what you mean.

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. It may or may not mean we may or may not win the Stanley Cup. With or without question. 

Exactly, and we won't know until the end of the season.  Point is, this win was one of the most emotional, spirit lifting, most intense wins of the year.

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I really think this Marty thing is blown out of proportion. He clapped for a huge portion of the event, of course they zoom in on him one time he's not clapping and now people are going to make something out of nothing. 

Do we really have nothing better to talk about? 

I don't think too many fans (if any at all) have any issue with Marty the player...but Marty the person has been a bit more polarizing, especially in more recent years.  This is just the latest exhibit as to why...his history pretty much dictates that in a moment where the camera happened to be right on him at the wrong time, that what seemed like an odd (non-)reaction will be picked apart.  I think mfitz and neb00rs summed it up fine...just Marty being Marty, probably didn't mean much of anything at all, but did look off at the time.  And who the hell knows...it's pure speculation, but maybe some part of him was thinking "OK, I get it, I went and played seven games with the Blues and didn't play every last game as a Devil, geez"...almost as though Elias' playing his entire career here being mentioned multiple times last night felt like some sort of a jab (though the multiple mentions were obviously never intended to be as such).  I don't claim to know Marty the person, but he strikes me as just "me me me" enough that I could see him taking Elias' "one team" comments more personally than he ever should have (even if it was only for fleeting moments).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

I was on vacation in New Orleans this week and of course wasn't thinking when I booked the return flight to Philly on the 24th. Figured ah, it won't be a big deal as long as we still take off at 10 AM as planned. Wake up and have an email that the flight is delayed til 12 PM (1 EST) ... nearly have an aneurysm at this point. Sit in the airport for four hours and finally take off at 140 EST. By the time we touchdown and get to my car it's like 440 PM... Hauled ass, got to Newark around 610 and sprinted from my car to the arena and somehow had my ass in the seat just in time for the ceremony. What a nightmare day that culminated with the most memorable game, other than an important playoff win, maybe ever? For me anyway... I love Patrik so much... I guess the only other game I could compare this to other than a playoff game was 552 for Marty. I was there for his retirement night too but I felt more emotional last night.

Disagree with whoever that was that said this was a spectacle and took too long, what's 90 minutes to properly honor the best forward in franchise history and a possible Hall of Famer? 

Then the way the team responded in third, just such an emotional ceremony and game that ends with two massive points. We're getting closer and closer to the finish line here and it's getting harder to envision them not making it.

• Like 5

Glad you could make it Steven M.  I got back from a Disney cruise yesterday...I had my family and my in-laws with me, so I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be able to go to this...but man, it was tough landing in Newark at 5:08 pm and knowing that I could make the game in time for the ceremony...I wish I had found some way to make it happen, but it would have been a major inconvenience to everyone else.  Fortunately I made it home in time to see most of the event (and the short bit that I missed I heard on the radio)...sucked having to buy an Elias mini-banner off e-bay, but I feel like at least I got to experience most of the pure spirit and emotion of the evening, despite not being there.

As far as the event goes...yeah, probably could've been trimmed by 10-15 mins, but I loved every second of it.  Mostly I loved how open Patrik was during his speech...he really let us in, in a way most atheletes don't...quite often, these speeches sound more like a long thank-you list.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as the event goes...yeah, probably could've been trimmed by 10-15 mins, but I loved every second of it.  

But then we would have missed his daughters getting bored, sticking out their tongues, and the little one trying to lick her mom. Classic.

I got in a few hours before you did, considered it, and decided to watch from home. Was a good idea, my daughter (who would have come with me) barely stayed up for the banner raising and was incredibly bored. Being there from like 5:30 until the game started at 8:30 or whatever would have been torture. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But then we would have missed his daughters getting bored, sticking out their tongues, and the little one trying to lick her mom. Classic.

I got in a few hours before you did, considered it, and decided to watch from home. Was a good idea, my daughter (who would have come with me) barely stayed up for the banner raising and was incredibly bored. Being there from like 5:30 until the game started at 8:30 or whatever would have been torture. 

Heh heh, yeah was funny as hell watching his kids be kids...they were really getting restless as the ceremony went on.  Been there done that a few times, lol.  

I thought it was a little awkward that neither Madden or Langs was mentioned but I get it...especially with Langs.
I also noticed that he didn't mention Jagr, even though he mentioned every other Czech who he had ever played with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

well its still the Pens, Vegas, Tampa, Nashville, San Jose etc etc all strong teams

If anything if were going to make the playoffs this is the best preparation and if we can win some of those game its a good boost for the first round

I see Vegas and Nashville being out biggest problems out of that list. We've skated with Tampa well, same with Pitt. SJ is streaky so that'll be interesting.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I see Vegas and Nashville being out biggest problems out of that list. We've skated with Tampa well, same with Pitt. SJ is streaky so that'll be interesting.

Pittsburgh just got Brassard as their 3rd line center though and we've played Pittsburgh who played the night before and we're not at the top of their game at all. 

7 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Marty hated every single minute.

You got that right....How can anyone here defend this shot of Marty ?.......Banner going up and can't look as it does or clap....Guess what Marty,you did leave and play elsewhere so stop pouting and pretend you give a fvck.

I think in his mind he was the reason they won the 3 cups but we all know he was just another important piece to the puzzle. Try and man up next time Marty because you really made yourself look bad.

• Like 1