GDT: Thank You Patty (6PM ceremony, 8PM puckdrop)

RunninWithTheDevil

Elias also didn't really play with Madden or Langenbrunner a whole lot, at least not at even strength.  Kovalchuk wasn't mentioned, and Elias totally shut down Wysh regarding Jagr - I don't think he was buddy buddy with all his teammates and certainly not all of his coaches (the non-mention of Brent Sutter stood out).

But yeah, I think you guys are reading a bit much into this Brodeur freeze frame.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Elias also didn't really play with Madden or Langenbrunner a whole lot, at least not at even strength.  Kovalchuk wasn't mentioned, and Elias totally shut down Wysh regarding Jagr - I don't think he was buddy buddy with all his teammates and certainly not all of his coaches (the non-mention of Brent Sutter stood out).

But yeah, I think you guys are reading a bit much into this Brodeur freeze frame.

Yeah you're right..... I'm sure Marty didn't realize the banner was going up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Big game from Kinkaid tonight, that's the story of the night for me. He was fvcking solid and there's no two ways about it.

that giveaway in the first few minutes where he played the puck and isles should have scored...the hockey gods had our back last night

seems one guy shows up per night (if that) besides hall...last night it was palms

not a well played game by any means

• Like 1

Yea I knew Sutter and Jagr weren't getting mentions. I always heard rumors him and Jagr didn't get along, and you could tell the way he talked about him when he came here that something was up. Two of the best Czech players of all time not gushing over playing together was tell-tale. Two guys dedicated to their country, have played on how many national teams together, you know Jagr was the only thing Czech hockey was talking about when Patty was a teenager, I'd be shocked if he didn't idolize him in his young years, so there's definitely something. I mean, the only possible reason Havlat was there is because he's Czech and played for a minute with Patty. 

Interesting that there are a handful of guys Patty didn't get along with, and I presume it's because he's a no nonsense principled guy who put the team first always. I bet if you didn't fall in how he expected, he didn't much care for it. Good for him. 

sh!tty for Lou not to have been there. Cell phones exist, and he could've stepped away for 90 minutes to be there for Patty. Ray did it, Marty kind of has a FO job and he was there (albeit pouting his heart out). He probably uses the same rotary phone he got when he set up his office at the Meadowlands. 

We're an interesting fan base. Lou and Marty brought us a dynasty, but there are weird feelings still (which I know will pass). When I hear the name Marty Brodeur, I still think of a guy with a negative attitude who cost the team by not knowing when to give it up. I think of Lou as the guy who put this team in a 5 year hole because he was obsessed with doing everything one way. And both of them ran off to different organizations when they didn't get what they wanted. I know some of you will disagree with that, but that's just how I feel as of right now. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Jeter announced his retirement in advance and did a year long tour. That’s more of a spectacle if you ask me. 

The Jeter circus reached the level of satire and made me lose all respect for Michael Kay. It just became obnoxious deification at one point. No idea why that would even be mentioned here.

Edited by Neb00rs

I was at the game, I could see Marty and the rest of the guys the entire ceremony, I was 12 rows off the ice yesterday. He clapped, laughed and seemed to really enjoy himself like the rest. I just went and watched the moment on TV it was under 5 seconds but hey since everyone's a mind reader now I went and looked at some of the other footage real quick... 

Here's Martin smiling and wait a minute, holy sh!t Nieds isn't clapping! He looks miserable! Must be because he went to Anaheim and won the cup with his brother! That bastard! 

Oh look Marty is smiling and clapping, what a phony! He can't seriously be enjoying himself!

That image that was posted was under 5 seconds. Who gives a fvck, the rest of the current team didn't even stay out to watch the banner go up cause they had to go get ready for the game. Lou couldn't even bother to get himself there either, who cares. 

Why people want to over analyze this nonsense when we had an amazing night topped off with an amazing game is beyond me.

20180225_122915.jpg

20180225_123013.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Yeah it reminds me about how the picture of Eli Manning looking like a sullen statue when the Broncos were on track to win the Super Bowl a couple years ago went viral and people wanted to make a snit about that, him somehow being jealous of Peyton matching him in SB wins when it was more about him just being intense while the game's still going on.  Sometimes reactions don't tell the whole story.

Marty seemed just fine during the first intermission interview fwiw.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was at the game, I could see Marty and the rest of the guys the entire ceremony, I was 12 rows off the ice yesterday. He clapped, laughed and seemed to really enjoy himself like the rest. I just went and watched the moment on TV it was under 5 seconds but hey since everyone's a mind reader now I went and looked at some of the other footage real quick... 

Here's Martin smiling and wait a minute, holy sh!t Nieds isn't clapping! He looks miserable! Must be because he went to Anaheim and won the cup with his brother! That bastard! 

Oh look Marty is smiling and clapping, what a phony! He can't seriously be enjoying himself!

That image that was posted was under 5 seconds. Who gives a fvck, the rest of the current team didn't even stay out to watch the banner go up cause they had to go get ready for the game. Lou couldn't even bother to get himself there either, who cares. 

Why people want to over analyze this nonsense when we had an amazing night topped off with an amazing game is beyond me.

20180225_122915.jpg

20180225_123013.jpg

Shame he couldn't have shown an interest while the banner went up......That's the one I'll remember most.

27 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

We're an interesting fan base. Lou and Marty brought us a dynasty, but there are weird feelings still (which I know will pass). When I hear the name Marty Brodeur, I still think of a guy with a negative attitude who cost the team by not knowing when to give it up. I think of Lou as the guy who put this team in a 5 year hole because he was obsessed with doing everything one way. And both of them ran off to different organizations when they didn't get what they wanted. I know some of you will disagree with that, but that's just how I feel as of right now. 

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

the coffeecake is right on the money, a portion our fan base doesn’t like Marty and goes out of its way to criticize him. Like watching a ceremony to see when he smiled or clapped. It’s idiotic. Relying on a still frame photo that shows a single second, even more so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, as I've said "Marty being Marty." But, it wasn't just one freeze frame, it was most times he came on camera. He seemed uninterested. Then again, he also seemed uninterested a few times he won the Cup too.

I mean I just took 2 mins and found things right away from him enjoying himself, I was there and saw him enjoying himself. If you don't want to take my word for it I don't know what to tell you. 

I hated that Marty played for the Blues, I pretend it didn't happen but some of this is just nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Shame he couldn't have shown an interest while the banner went up......That's the one I'll remember most.

Some people just enjoy finding the negatives in everything. Have fun with that. 

First, I gotta thank @sundstrom for hooking me up with a ticket. It was cool to sit and meet with @Daniel.

Having attended the Brodeur retirement and now this one, last night had a different vibe. You could tell how much more this meant to Elias and his family. My man lost it like three times. It was just a more intimate ceremony when compared to MB30. Gotta give credit to the Devils for putting on such a great event. Btw, I love the fact that it was repeated 100x Elias was a Devils lifer. I think @thecoffeecake summed it up well. Devils fans obviously love Brodeur but there's just something about his last two-three years that left a sour taste. Between begging to be traded to the Stadium Series entitlement, it seemed like he only cared about himself. I get hes arguably the best of all-time, but just compare the way he talks about himself and his teammates to a guy like Elias or Schneider. 

I'll post game thoughts a bit later, but the crowd was ******* electric. That third period was the loudest I've heard the Rock since at least 2012- maybe ever. Can only imagine what a playoff series would sound like after such a long wait. 

• Like 4

I too do not like the way it ended with Marty, but some of this stuff is just as silly as when the fanbase was analyzing whether Taylor Hall was smiling after he assisted on a particular goal late in the year last season, I believe it was a John Moore OT winner. To this day, at least on reddit, it's still a meme. Any thread about Hall usually has a comment "but was he smiling?" Obviously Marty enjoyed himself and the festivities yesterday. If he didn't care about Patrik or the Devils then he just would've claimed he couldn't have came for whatever reason. This is all nonsense.

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I mean I just took 2 mins and found things right away from him enjoying himself, I was there and saw him enjoying himself. If you don't want to take my word for it I don't know what to tell you. 

I'm not denying that any of what you said happened. I was there too, and I mostly saw him look uninterested. I'm sure there were moments where he looked more happy than not.

• Like 1

The crowd was bat sh!t amazing last night. I get frustrated with these nights crowd wise because it makes me want it all the time. I think the fan base is there to have games like that all the time if the pricing of the arena was restructured quite a bit.

It would be amazing if we could make it possible to pack it out every night and have electric crowds like last night and the home opener. I want to make the playoffs so badly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think too many fans (if any at all) have any issue with Marty the player...but Marty the person has been a bit more polarizing, especially in more recent years.  This is just the latest exhibit as to why...his history pretty much dictates that in a moment where the camera happened to be right on him at the wrong time, that what seemed like an odd (non-)reaction will be picked apart.  I think mfitz and neb00rs summed it up fine...just Marty being Marty, probably didn't mean much of anything at all, but did look off at the time.  And who the hell knows...it's pure speculation, but maybe some part of him was thinking "OK, I get it, I went and played seven games with the Blues and didn't play every last game as a Devil, geez"...almost as though Elias' playing his entire career here being mentioned multiple times last night felt like some sort of a jab (though the multiple mentions were obviously never intended to be as such).  I don't claim to know Marty the person, but he strikes me as just "me me me" enough that I could see him taking Elias' "one team" comments more personally than he ever should have (even if it was only for fleeting moments).

I agree with this.  Totally possible.  

3 hours ago, hit the post said:

You got that right....How can anyone here defend this shot of Marty ?.......Banner going up and can't look as it does or clap....Guess what Marty,you did leave and play elsewhere so stop pouting and pretend you give a fvck.

I think in his mind he was the reason they won the 3 cups but we all know he was just another important piece to the puzzle. Try and man up next time Marty because you really made yourself look bad.

100% agreed.  You have to clap there...if you aren't clapping, there is clearly an issue. Period.

• Like 1

This was maybe the single best event I've ever seen the Devils organization put on. Under Lou these jersey retirements were done on the cheap, basically they'd throw a red carpet on the ice, borrow a New Jersey Board of Ed superintendents podium, couple of folding chairs and that's it. 

After the Brodeur ceremony, and after this ceremony (which was even better) it's so refreshing, and it feels so new, to finally be in first class. 

• Like 3

Marty Brodeur is PROBABLY an a$$hole. 

Michael Jordan is an a$$hole.

Tiger Woods is an a$$hole.

Tom Brady is an a$$hole.

That's just how this stuff works.  Not surprising, at all.

All in all, the guy should have clapped and done the right thing...no matter how selfish or self-centered he is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

This was maybe the single best event I've ever seen the Devils organization put on. Under Lou these jersey retirements were done on the cheap, basically they'd throw a red carpet on the ice, borrow a New Jersey Board of Ed superintendents podium, couple of folding chairs and that's it. 

After the Brodeur ceremony, and after this ceremony (which was even better) it's so refreshing, and it feels so new, to finally be in first class. 

The puck podium was an awesome idea. Kudos to whoever thought of that and to let the fans buy the pucks right after. I got one and it still has the glue on the one side, I love it. 

• Like 2