Sign in to follow this  
RunninWithTheDevil

GDT: Thank You Patty (6PM ceremony, 8PM puckdrop)

Personally I am never in favor of giving those kind of awards to the loser. He was the loser. Give the damn trophy to the MVP of the team that actually won, and call it a day. 

Besides, who wants a trophy to remind them of the time they didn't win the Stanley Cup??

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally I am never in favor of giving those kind of awards to the loser. He was the loser. Give the damn trophy to the MVP of the team that actually won, and call it a day. 

Besides, who wants a trophy to remind them of the time they didn't win the Stanley Cup??

Meh, part of the problem was that the Devils really won that Cup as a TEAM in a lot of ways, like Patrik himself has alluded to...there really wasn't any clear-cut MVP of that team (sure, some guys contributed more than others)...it truly was a complete group effort, and on that count it was one of the more impressive ones that I've ever seen...everyone from Langs right on down to friggin' Mike Rupp seem to find ways to pitch in.  Look at the Ducks' individual playoff numbers compared to the Devils.  It's borderline miraculous that that team was a game away from winning a Cup.  Equipment size aside (and that's the NHL's fault), without Giggy that run never happens.  And I'm not even a fan of his. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh, part of the problem was that the Devils really won that Cup as a TEAM in a lot of ways, like Patrik himself has alluded to...there really wasn't any clear-cut MVP of that team (sure, some guys contributed more than others)...it truly was a complete group effort, and on that count it was one of the more impressive ones that I've ever seen...everyone from Langs right on down to friggin' Mike Rupp seem to find ways to pitch in.  Look at the Ducks' individual playoff numbers compared to the Devils.  It's borderline miraculous that that team was a game away from winning a Cup.  Equipment size aside (and that's the NHL's fault), without Giggy that run never happens.  And I'm not even a fan of his. 

Then do what they do in the Super Bowl, when all else fails, give it to the quarterback. 

Brodeur and Giguere had very similar numbers for the playoffs. If you can give it to Giguere who lost, certainly there's an argument there that the guy who actually won the Cup was "most valuable", in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At the end of the day, it's not the first trophy they bring out that anyone really remembers or cares about.  I don't think Giguere's Conn Smythe banner is hanging from the rafters at the Honda Center.  But, IMO, more weight should be given to performance in the SCF than in the other rounds for the Conn Smythe.  Brodeur had a great playoffs as well, and outplayed Giggy in the Final.  He should have gotten the award, although I definitely see the argument that was made for Giguere.  It didn't help that the Devils split votes between Brodeur, Nieds, and Stevens while Giggy picked up the rest.  

However, I truly believe that, if the Rags, Habs, Flyers, or any of the teams that are part of the NHL's marketing machine had been there over the Devils, there is no way that award goes to Giggy.  Not because there is some grand conspiracy against the Devils (there isn't), but because those teams just didn't get the respect they deserved both inside and outside the league at that time and continuing to the present.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

At the end of the day, it's not the first trophy they bring out that anyone really remembers or cares about.  I don't think Giguere's Conn Smythe banner is hanging from the rafters at the Honda Center.  But, IMO, more weight should be given to performance in the SCF than in the other rounds for the Conn Smythe.  Brodeur had a great playoffs as well, and outplayed Giggy in the Final.  He should have gotten the award, although I definitely see the argument that was made for Giguere.  It didn't help that the Devils split votes between Brodeur, Nieds, and Stevens while Giggy picked up the rest.  

However, I truly believe that, if the Rags, Habs, Flyers, or any of the teams that are part of the NHL's marketing machine had been there over the Devils, there is no way that award goes to Giggy.  Not because there is some grand conspiracy against the Devils (there isn't), but because those teams just didn't get the respect they deserved both inside and outside the league at that time and continuing to the present.

And the bolded was the issue right there...technically, you had a goalie, two defenseman, and at least one forward (Langs) that you could have made an argument for, for a possible Devils MVP.  There just wasn't that one guy who stood out enough...and like I said, I don't consider that a negative...I think it was more a testament to the fact that the 2002-03 Devils were truly one terrific team, in every sense of the word. 

For the most part, I agree with mfitz that most of the time, the MVP should come from the winner...but I do think you can have that (very) rare exception.  To me that was Giggy, for all of the reasons I stated.  Doesn't mean that I liked it at the time, or that I think the Conn Smythe is that big of a deal (give my team the Cup every time), but I think I made a fair argument as to why Giggy's win wasn't so farfetched.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Love it...both that Elias is up there, and that ALL five of those players are 100% worthy.  No debating any of them.

Elias gave a little interview to ESPN (not sure if anyone here has read it), and it pretty much confirms what many of us suspected:  that the Rangers not willing to include a NTC helped pave the way for him to come back here (along with the simple fact that Elias wanted to stay here), that he and Lou definitely did not have the warmest relationship (but success made them work together in spite of their differences), and that he didn't seem to be buddy-buddy with Jagr:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22534109/nhl-patrik-elias-new-jersey-devils-number-retirement-line-nearly-joining-new-york-rangers-more

ESPN: How close did you come to jumping to the Rangers as a free agent in 2006?

Elias: It was very close. At the end of the deadline, I was talking to them for most of the night. It all came down to part of the contract, part of the agreement -- the no-trade [clause] -- and that's why it didn't happen. I didn't have any prior conversations with the Devils regarding my contract. I knew there wasn't interest from them at that point. Not after the season, right away, or during the summer. There was nothing. The only thing I was told by the management is that there were going to be teams interested in me, and that they wanted to wish me good luck.

So with that, how do you prepare yourself? You feel like you're definitely going somewhere else in the summer.

ESPN: Did talking to the Rangers get the Devils interested again?

Elias: I'm not sure. At the end of the day, I called Lou [Lamoriello]. I told him I was having talks with one or two teams, and I told him who they were. Letting him know what the contract was about. So I told him that if he had any interest in signing me, now was the time. So he said he'd talk to the owners, he called me back and said, 'What if we do this, this and this instead,' and I said if there's any way to stay in Jersey, I'd love to. Within five minutes, we had a deal.

ESPN: Do you have a favorite Jaromir Jagr story?

Elias: I don't. Simple as that. I don't.

ESPN: Do you have a favorite Lou Lamoriello story?

Elias: There were good times, there were bad times. There were times, different situations ... like when I wasn't happy with ice time. And I wasn't happy that he didn't back me in those situations. And he wasn't happy with me because I wasn't focused on playing hockey. But it was a normal relationship, up and down. He's tough on everyone. But how do you argue with that when you have a chance to be in the playoffs every season and win a couple of Cups?

• Like 1

I got that same impression when Jagr was here in 13-14 and 14-15 that him and Elias were not the best of buddies (if at all).  It seemed like the fans and media were forcing them together simply because they were the top 2 Czech players of the last 10-15 years than anything else.  I remember these small bits and pieces of interviews from that time period where Elias didn't really have much to say when it came to Jagr.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I got that same impression when Jagr was here in 13-14 and 14-15 that him and Elias were not the best of buddies (if at all).  It seemed like the fans and media were forcing them together simply because they were the top 2 Czech players of the last 10-15 years than anything else.  I remember these small bits and pieces of interviews from that time period where Elias didn't really have much to say when it came to Jagr.

Jagr became more lovable towards the end of his career partly because he could still be productive well into his 40s, but I think he could still be a bit moody and a PITA, all the way up to the end.  In 2013-14 we got the all-in happy Jagr (and to his credit he was terrific that year, on all fronts...I remember after one postgame, on the ice, he basically told the fans to believe in the team, that things were getting better).  The following season we saw more of the brooding, cranky, not-always-giving-his-all Jagr.  I could see a guy like Elias not being a big fan of his.  From what we know of them, they seem like very different people. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jagr became more lovable towards the end of his career partly because he could still be productive well into his 40s, but I think he could still be a bit moody and a PITA, all the way up to the end.  In 2013-14 we got the all-in happy Jagr (and to his credit he was terrific that year, on all fronts...I remember after one postgame, on the ice, he basically told the fans to believe in the team, that things were getting better).  The following season we saw more of the brooding, cranky, not-always-giving-his-all Jagr.  I could see a guy like Elias not being a big fan of his.  From what we know of them, they seem like very different people. 

Yeah in 14-15 Jagr was the moody, depressed version of Jagr for sure.  When he was traded he had 2 points in his last 10 games with NJ and was pointless in 8 straight.  In his first 10 games with Florida he had 7 points.  I can't blame him too much when you play on a team where Bernier, Gomez and Tootoo are given top 6 minutes and the team was pretty damn bad on paper.  The fact that they didn't come in dead last is a damn miracle.

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Just realized this, did they FINALLY fix the Niedermayer banner? Font finally looks correct in that photo

They did. I assume they saw the mistake while making the Elias banner and realized it would look terrible to have two differing fonts. 

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

They did. I assume they saw the mistake while making the Elias banner and realized it would look terrible to have two differing fonts. 

Thank god, it's irked me the past 6 seasons, happy they finally fixed it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Thank god, it's irked everyone the past 6 seasons, happy they finally fixed it

FIXED

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've never been a fan of Jagr and was quite annoyed that I actually had to root for the guy.

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

That Czech goalie that wore the full cage helmet was pretty good, too...

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That Czech goalie that wore the full cage helmet was pretty good, too...

I meant skaters but yeah he was alright.