DEVILS ACQUIRE PATRICK MAROON

MB3

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Makes sense to me. 

Out of curiosity, what do you expect Henrique to be getting as a free agent? I agree it'll be an inflated figure...how inflated are we talking? $5-6m x 5?

And that would be my issue with signing him.  His last contract was OK...especially in that it was decent enough that he was able to be moved for another (albeit different type) of useful piece.  I have no interest in an overpaid Henrique. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I love Rico, but if someone gives him 30 for 5, they're completely out to lunch.

His cap hit is only $4 million, but he's making $5 million this season and $5.5 million next.  He could very well be expecting a raise as a UFA.  I wouldn't go higher than $4.5 million per year for him myself, but even at that cost I wouldn't be thrilled.  I just think you try to find a guy like him from within than overpay for what he brings. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that would be my issue with signing him.  His last contract was OK...especially in that it was decent enough that he was able to be moved for another (albeit different type) of useful piece.  I have no interest in an overpaid Henrique. 

His cap hit is only $4 million, but he's making $5 million this season and $5.5 million next.  He could very well be expecting a raise as a UFA.  I wouldn't go higher than $4.5 million per year for him myself, but even at that cost I wouldn't be thrilled.  I just think you try to find a guy like him from within than overpay for what he brings. 

I can't imagine Henrique getting less than $6M+ from somewhere.  I just hope it is not here.

Also Adam will be 29 when he goes to UFA with about 600 regular season games played if he is healthy.  Not bad but if he gets a 7-year deal from someplace it could get pretty ugly the last few years.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I can't imagine Henrique getting less than $6M+ from somewhere.  I just hope it is not here.

Also Adam will be 29 when he goes to UFA with about 600 regular season games played if he is healthy.  Not bad but if he gets a 7-year deal from someplace it could get pretty ugly the last few years.

Will definitely not be here...Devils will have much more significant guys to pay down the line.  Henrique is obviously very popular with a big chunk of this fanbase, but an overpaid and potentially underperforming Henrique will see how the other half lives very quickly.

I know salaries are always on the rise, but $6M+ for Henrique is pure lunacy...he'll never live up to that.  Feel sorry for the team that signs him to that, unless it's very short term (3 years absolute tops)...but no thanks to that too. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Will definitely not be here...Devils will have much more significant guys to pay down the line.  Henrique is obviously very popular with a big chunk of this fanbase, but an overpaid and potentially underperforming Henrique will see how the other half lives very quickly.

I know salaries are always on the rise, but $6M+ for Henrique is pure lunacy...he'll never live up to that.  Feel sorry for the team that signs him to that, unless it's very short term (3 years absolute tops)...but no thanks to that too. 

100% agree.  No way he will get 3 years at most.  He will get 5 years minimum from someone.

I hope it is the Rangers.

• Like 1

For the record I was presupposing that $30m over 5 years was too high; my whole premise was HOW overpaid he would be in free agency, not what he's "worth". 

That's why I edited my original number of $5-6M; he's already getting $5m, he'll be seeking more than that in free agency I would assume. If the theory is he is going to be overpaid as a free agent, I doubt that includes a reduction in salary. 

As far as term goes, I stick by 5 years as the deal he will get. Not short term, but not a guy that someone is going to be concerned with locking him in for 7-8 years. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

For the record I was presupposing that $30m over 5 years was too high; my whole premise was HOW overpaid he would be in free agency, not what he's "worth". 

That's why I edited my original number of $5-6M; he's already getting $5m, he'll be seeking more than that in free agency I would assume. If the theory is he is going to be overpaid as a free agent, I doubt that includes a reduction in salary. 

As far as term goes, I stick by 5 years as the deal he will get. Not short term, but not a guy that someone is going to be concerned with locking him in for 7-8 years. 

If I was going to put a number to it...I think some team might give him a max of 5 years at a $5.5 million per year cap hit.  Maybe a little more than that per year that up front, so down the line a non-contending floor team might be willing to deal with a meh year or two without paying him too too much (can't see Henrique getting a NTC)...and who knows, may he plays well enough for that floor team that he's dealt back to a contender for a pick or two as the contract winds down.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So I am in the general vicinity, then...

I wasn't saying that you weren't...more saying that for a guy like Henrique, that feels like a lot (at least I wouldn't want to pay him that).  I could see him hoping to get something in the 5-year $25-30 million range, but ultimately settling for 4 years and $21 million or something like that.  I wouldn't want him back at that price either, but I think more teams would feel comfortable only having to go four years instead of five.  Maybe some team that sees its Plan As or Plan Bs fall through gets desperate enough to offer that 5th year.  At any rate, very big season for Adam next year...curious to see if he somehow exceeds the 40-50 points you'd expect from him over 82 games...does he find his way into 60-65 point territory?   

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wasn't saying that you weren't...more saying that for a guy like Henrique, that feels like a lot (at least I wouldn't want to pay him that).  I could see him hoping to get something in the 5-year $25-30 million range, but ultimately settling for 4 years and $21 million or something like that.  I wouldn't want him back at that price either, but I think more teams would feel comfortable only having to go four years instead of five.  Maybe some team that sees its Plan As or Plan Bs fall through gets desperate enough to offer that 5th year.  At any rate, very big season for Adam next year...curious to see if he somehow exceeds the 40-50 points you'd expect from him over 82 games...does he find his way into 60-65 point territory?   

I wasn't saying you were saying I wasn't! :)

I was just confirming that I at least somewhat knew what I was talking about, it happens every once in a while and it makes me happy. 

• Like 1