The Maven retiring

MrBreeze

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

Glad he realized it was time to hang it up. He only overstayed his welcome by two decades. 

Sadly this was just about the same reaction I had.  We used to goof on him 25 years ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

No one made me feel more uncomfortable when watching player interviews than Stan. That's what I'll remember him for. 

Pretty much the above.  I've already told the Bernie Nicholls story. 

Overall he was OK...I do give him a ton of credit for being as active as he was for so long. 

Stan was/is a good dude.  He gets more flack than he should, because it's not really his fault, people just can't relate to him, which will happen when you get to his age.  It was just time to move on, for him, and the fans.  Good luck to him and hope he enjoys retirement.

Sure...

Bernie scored a GWG on a two-on-one, where he elected to shoot instead of pass...obviously it worked out for him and the Devils.  Stan had him on after the game, and asked him if he thought that he should have passed instead...Bernie gave him a look as though Stan had just revealed that he'd been banging Bernie's wife for the past couple of years, and simply answered "No"...Stan for some reason decided to ask him the same question AGAIN, and Bernie again replied (even more harshly) "NO".  The rest of the interview was pretty strained and uncomfortable to watch...you could tell that Bernie was thinking "Who the fvck is this old geezer and why would he ask a question like that?"  It was funny yet awkward as hell. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

you're darn right its age discrimination, and it should be... as a person approaching 60  i understand its time to start developing the youth to take over my functions and turn.. it over to them... nothing more sad than a person who out stays his welcome..  with that said, stan was the maven and american kids in the 70s loved his books,, i was one of them   ...he brought hockey to the youth, well done stan

I liked Fisch No complaints from me. 

I recall one segment years back where Stan went to a fans house. They had pretzels.... Stan asks for mustard. "You gotta have mustard with your pretzels"  

It's silly but never forgot that one for some reason 

eh....I used to hate him.  Then one year in the early 2000s the Devils tried (and failed) a white out at playoff games.  The Maven shows up on the broadcast wearing white tuxedo.  That attempt at humor was enough to win me over

• Like 1