Cordcutting Options for NYC Metro Area to watch Devils Games

Daniel

I've really had it with Verizon for reasons I won't get into.  For anyone in the NYC Metro area, are there any easy cord cutting options where I can still watch Devils games without doing anything exotic like finding bootleg streams online, etc.  I want to be able to watch games on my TVs and still get all the usual channels I watch.

I've done some research on Directv Now, but it it's not entirely clear whether Devils games would be blacked out. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Daniel

Just now, Daniel said:

I've really had it with Verizon for reasons I won't get into.  For anyone in the NYC Metro area, are there any easy cord cutting options where I can still watch Devils games without doing anything to exotic like finding bootleg streams online, etc.  I want to be able to watch games on my TVs and still get all the usual channels I watch.

I've done some research on Directv Now, but it it's not entirely clear whether Devils games would be blacked out. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have DirecTV at home...no issues on blackouts for the most part...I've had it since 2005 and I can't recall too many games that were...maybe 5 total.  They have overflow MSG channels when multiple locals are playing.  I've been happy with it.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have DirecTV at home...no issues on blackouts for the most part...I've had it since 2005 and I can't recall too many games that were...maybe 5 total.  They have overflow MSG channels when multiple locals are playing.  I've been happy with it.

I take it you have the dish though and not the streaming service.   I live in the city, so no dish option for me.  On the website, it says MSG and MSG+, but I don't know if this includes the overflow channels and whether Devils games are blacked out. 

Just now, Daniel said:

I take it you have the dish though and not the streaming service.   I live in the city, so no dish option for me.  On the website, it says MSG and MSG+, but I don't know if this includes the overflow channels and whether Devils games are blacked out. 

Yes I have the dish...sorry, missed that part.

I bought a cable card through my provider and use a Tivo and Tivo minis in the house instead. It's more expensive up front but I save over a hundred bucks a month by not renting their cable boxes anymore and made my money back in a year. I've had it for 4-5 years now so I've saved a few grand overall now. 

I've heard Youtube TV is actually pretty good.  Don't have it though, so I can't speak on it from a personal perspective one way or the other.

There are plenty of streams out there though - a guy on a certain website posts a live stream every game.  I just cast it to my TV and go from there.

Just my 2c.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is interesting.  Do you use it?  Is there a delay like other streaming services?

I am not, but im also looking to ditch cable.  I wonder if this works with Sling tv and their NHL Network addon.  If so this would solve 90% of what i have now through optimum.

Disclaimer- I'm in Central PA, so out of market- but I "cut the cord" last year, I have DirectTV Now but obviously not msg included in it. Instead I've been paying for the NHL gamecenter package. Some things you should consider:

-I've been so-so on the quality of DirectTV Now, at peak times (7pm weekdays, so gametimes) there is often quite a bit of buffering, I've noticed it mostly on the ROKU app- I also have an Amazon Fire Stick that it seems to run a bit smoother on. I'm assuming as their subscriber base grows they'll buff up their servers.

-I believe DirectTV Now only carries MSG and MSG Plus, so I think any games on MSG+2 would be lost I have no idea how many games 

There are ways that you could opt for the NHL gamecenter package and use a VPN to get around the blackout restrictions, this is not something I've done personally since I'm out of market and don't need to but it is an option and there is lots of stuff online about it.

I can't wait for the day local blackout restrictions are gone forever, they're ridiculous.

Edited by dmann422

I've been using FuboTV for Devils games all season. It's pretty good. There's occasional pixelization and/or stuttering during most games, but generally not enough to hurt my ability to enjoy the games. (And really, MSG has issues of their own often enough, so I don't always know for sure if the problem is Fubo itself, or my internet connection, or MSG's feed.)

The only thing I don't like is that their DVR doesn't allow me to watch the recording before the game is over. So I mostly watch live and suffer through the commercials.

I live a couple hours from Buffalo and the Devils are still blacked out up here on NHL. tv (for god knows why), and my solution was to get an Amazon Fire Stick to go with my NHL.tv subscription. With the Fire Stick you can download an application called Kodi and get the NHL.tv add-on for it, then you just simply need to get a VPN to spoof your IP address either into a different state or country to get around the local blackout, IP Vanish is what I use and I was able to get a 3 Year bandwidth subscription for $80.

Naturally this still takes some money to put together, but I'm able to watch every Devils game in HD while not laying waste to my NHL.tv subscription with this set-up. You can also go on the NHL Streams reddit and find links on there, but I typically found that to be hassle after awhile and liked the convenience of having everything on my Fire Stick.

23 hours ago, Daniel said:

I never really gave it any thought, but is dish/satellite really not an option in the city? I assume it's because of all of the skyscrapers/interference?  That's interesting.  

Also, I know you said you don't really want to use streams for the games, but for what it's worth, I have gotten just about every single Devils game for the past two years or so using the LazyMan app (Google it and you'll find it) for free.  Granted I watch all of the games on my laptop and I'm perfectly fine doing that, but with a simple HDMI cable you could connect it to your TV and watch it on the big screen.  I did it the other day when I just felt like watching it on my 60" screen instead of the 14" laptop.  

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I never really gave it any thought, but is dish/satellite really not an option in the city? I assume it's because of all of the skyscrapers/interference?  That's interesting.  

Also, I know you said you don't really want to use streams for the games, but for what it's worth, I have gotten just about every single Devils game for the past two years or so using the LazyMan app (Google it and you'll find it) for free.  Granted I watch all of the games on my laptop and I'm perfectly fine doing that, but with a simple HDMI cable you could connect it to your TV and watch it on the big screen.  I did it the other day when I just felt like watching it on my 60" screen instead of the 14" laptop.  

I live in a high rise rental, and I’m not allowed to hook up a dish even if it were feasible.