GDT : Devils vs Golden Knights 04/03/18 - 5 PM

moustic

18 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

And rightfully so. Why would he want to stay? The Devils aren' going anywhere

So Hall after playing losing year after year in Edmonton for 6 seasons and coming here and carrying this team on his back to respectability.  He has two years left on his contract but he's going to want to leave here asap.  So I guess Shero is now an assclown too?

Good stuff. 

• Like 1

RECAP

• Need to start scoring the 1st goal.
  • Fleury was great tonight, and ultimately the only reason the Devils didn't get at least 1 point.
  • Once again, point shots against kill this team
  • Hanging on to the puck too long hurt this team a few times tonight, and Vegas will kill you any time you do that.
  • The effort was there tonight, but the details need to get worked out.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Nothing Schneider could do
  • Goal 2: Nothing Schneider could do
  • Goal 3: Schneider needs to absorb that initial shot, and there was no reason for that puck to fall to the ice.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 52 to 42
  • ES FF: 43 to 34
  • ES SF: 31 to 20
  • ES SCF: 23 to 24
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 57 to 51
  • All FF: 48 to 43
  • All SF: 35 to 27
  • All SCF: 28 to 29
  • All HDCF: 7 to 7

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 42.69 to 44.82
  • FF: 35.4 to 36.1
  • SF: 26.06 to 21.07
  • SCF: 18.21 to 26.04
  • HDCF: 5.45 to 5.46

It's a shame Schneider couldn't stop goal 2 or 3.  The Devils played the Golden Knights even and they needed a save.  They also need someone to do something when Hall was off the ice.  Grabner was invisible, unfortunately - I don't like him with Zajac, but he's got to do more out there.

Could use Johansson, certainly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• Need to start scoring the 1st goal.
  • Fleury was great tonight, and ultimately the only reason the Devils didn't get at least 1 point.
  • Once again, point shots against kill this team
  • Hanging on to the puck too long hurt this team a few times tonight, and Vegas will kill you any time you do that.
  • The effort was there tonight, but the details need to get worked out.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Nothing Schneider could do
  • Goal 2: Nothing Schneider could do
  • Goal 3: Schneider needs to absorb that initial shot, and there was no reason for that puck to fall to the ice.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 52 to 42
  • ES FF: 43 to 34
  • ES SF: 31 to 20
  • ES SCF: 23 to 24
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 57 to 51
  • All FF: 48 to 43
  • All SF: 35 to 27
  • All SCF: 28 to 29
  • All HDCF: 7 to 7

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 42.69 to 44.82
  • FF: 35.4 to 36.1
  • SF: 26.06 to 21.07
  • SCF: 18.21 to 26.04
  • HDCF: 5.45 to 5.46

I think the short summary is we are running out of talent here down the stretch but in the long run going forward we're in a much much better place.

• Like 1

The good:  I thought picking up my reserved Elias puck was going to be a complete clusterfvck.  It was anything but.  Went into the Devils' Den at 3:50, was asked if I reserved a puck, was directed to a specific line, told to present an ID, then had my puck.  Whole thing took five minutes, tops.

Then the game happened.

This team is not a bunch of losers, nor do I think that any of them aren't trying (though some of them are really hard to take right now...here's looking at you, Brian Boyle).

But sadly, it looks more and more like this team is both running out of steam (with the obvious exception of Taylor Hall, and a few others) and isn't quite ready to hold its own under the pressure of playoff chase...it's not like they're getting their doors blown off, but they're doing just enough to find ways to come up short...and in ways that makes these losing streaks that much more frustrating.  It's a shame and it sucks, especially since Shero did go out and try to fortify the team...not like he stood pat.  

They're not dead yet, and I'll keep on hopin', but at the same time it's really hard to ignore the fact that the Devils are now 11-16-3 in their last 30 GP.  I really really REALLY hope that they have one more burst left in them...especially for Taylor, who has just given so much to try to make this happen.  

And sorry Cory, you've done some terrific things here, even though some have forgotten that.  But it's been too long, and you can't live off your career save% forever.  This team needs you.  NOW.  It may not be all your fault, but you're not helping either.  Sorry.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Right now Taylor Hall is to the Devils what Johan Santana was to the '08 Mets, trying to drag the sorry carcass of a choker team into the playoffs.  It's impossible to have any faith in guys not named Hall right now, especially the overrated starting goaltender that can never make a clutch stop ever.  Kinkaid made more clutch stops in the last two weeks than Cory ever has as a Devil and Kinkaid's a fringe starting goalie/top backup at best.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Right now Taylor Hall is to the Devils what Johan Santana was to the '08 Mets, trying to drag the sorry carcass of a choker team into the playoffs.  It's impossible to have any faith in guys not named Hall right now, especially the overrated starting goaltender that can never make a clutch stop ever.  Kinkaid made more clutch stops in the last two weeks than Cory ever has as a Devil.

For someone who can remember the 08 Mets, you sure have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to the Devils.

The Devils have a big lead to blow in part because of Schneider.  All the wins count the same.

He's going through a rough stretch here but he's looked better the last two games.  The Devils also have to score some goals for Schneider here now that he's only letting up 3 goals.  He has to be better, and the team has to be better.  I have faith in him getting better.  I'm not sure I can say the same for the team.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Triumph said:

For someone who can remember the 08 Mets, you sure have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to the Devils.

The Devils have a big lead to blow in part because of Schneider.  All the wins count the same.

He's going through a rough stretch here but he's looked better the last two games.  The Devils also have to score some goals for Schneider here now that he's letting up 3 goals.

lol sure they do.  Cory hasn't won a game since like early January and their offense was top ten in the league before then but they have a big lead to blow cause of a goalie whose splits have been average to poor for two years now.  KK's last several games are better than anything Cory's put up since 2015 and I really don't care how many stops Cory makes for dogmeat Devil teams that had no chance anyway, make some stops now when the games matter.  Cory's the goalie that lets in a clunker like he did today (twice) to cost the team a tie then make all these great saves after the team's behind.  Or he lets in the goal with under two minutes remaining to cost the team a win.  He does just enough to lose every big game.

And it's rich to say the Devils should score four goals a game just cause Cory's let in three or more FOR NINE STRAIGHT STARTS.  I'm sorry, this isn't the '85 Oilers, you shouldn't have to score four a game just to win one.  Especially when nobody else can score other than Hall.  If you want to blame the secondary scoring for falling off fine, they have but this goalie was supposed to be a top ten guy that was able to hold the fort and now he no longer has the excuse of a bad team to fall back on.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

lol sure they do.  Cory hasn't won a game since like early January and their offense was top ten in the league before then but they have a big lead to blow cause of a goalie whose splits have been average to poor for two years now.  KK's last several games are better than anything Cory's put up since 2015 and I really don't care how many stops Cory makes for dogmeat Devil teams that had no chance anyway, make some stops now when the games matter.  Cory's the goalie that lets in a clunker like he did today (twice) to cost the team a tie then make all these great saves after the team's behind.  Or he lets in the goal with under two minutes remaining to cost the team a win.  He does just enough to lose every big game.
And it's rich to say the Devils should score four goals a game just cause Cory's let in three or more FOR NINE STRAIGHT STARTS.  I'm sorry, this isn't the '85 Oilers, you shouldn't have to score four a game just to win one.  Especially when nobody else can score other than Hall.  If you want to blame the secondary scoring for falling off fine, they have but this goalie was supposed to be a top ten guy that was able to hold the fort and now he no longer has the excuse of a bad team to fall back on.

Early January? Try late December. December 27 to be exact. You and I have the same number of wins in 2018 as Schneider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol sure they do.  Cory hasn't won a game since like early January and their offense was top ten in the league before then but they have a big lead to blow cause of a goalie whose splits have been average to poor for two years now.  KK's last several games are better than anything Cory's put up since 2015 and I really don't care how many stops Cory makes for dogmeat Devil teams that had no chance anyway, make some stops now when the games matter.  Cory's the goalie that lets in a clunker like he did today (twice) to cost the team a tie then make all these great saves after the team's behind.  He does just enough to lose every big game.

And it's rich to say the Devils should score four goals a game just cause Cory's let in three FOR NINE STRAIGHT STARTS.  I'm sorry, this isn't the '85 Oilers, you shouldn't have to score four a game just to win one.  Especially when nobody else can score other than Hall.  If you want to blame the secondary scoring for falling off fine, they have but this goalie was supposed to be a top ten guy that was able to hold the fort and now he no longer has the excuse of a bad team to fall back on.

Oh okay, Schneider has been average to poor, so we get to pretend that Schneider didn't put up a .924 in December and a .923 in November when the Devils defense was atrocious.

The Devils shouldn't score 4 goals a game, I never said that.  They should be able to score 3 goals in regulation sometimes and get a game to the Coinflip Round.  That's been the real problem lately - you get a game to OT and your expectation is 1.5 points, and that hasn't been happening in all these 1 goal losses.

Coming back from injury, we have no idea if Cory was or was not playing hurt before he left, and we'll never know.  All I know is that I think he has some good games left in him and he can play .910 hockey from now until the end of the season and it's up to the Devils to score more often.  

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Oh okay, Schneider has been average to poor, so we get to pretend that Schneider didn't put up a .924 in December and a .923 in November when the Devils defense was atrocious.

The Devils shouldn't score 4 goals a game, I never said that.  They should be able to score 3 goals in regulation sometimes and get a game to the Coinflip Round.  That's been the real problem lately - you get a game to OT and your expectation is 1.5 points, and that hasn't been happening in all these 1 goal losses.

Coming back from injury, we have no idea if Cory was or was not playing hurt before he left, and we'll never know.  All I know is that I think he has some good games left in him and he can play .910 hockey from now until the end of the season and it's up to the Devils to score more often.  

Goalie stats are really useless, they don't tell you how the goalie really is.  Nhl.com did a story on this and how most goalies don't even look or care what their numbers are, they're a big reflection on the team as well.  Cory is nothing more then an average goalie, nothing more, nothing less.  He'll have good weeks/months and bad ones.  The one constant throughout his time here is he fails to make the clutch saves, the timely saves.  Idc if he makes 50 brodeur stack pads if your losing by 3 bc you gave up 2 weak goals, or make those stack saves and let in a weak one in the last few minutes. 

Maybe its just me bc I'm a goalie, but I look for rebound control, positioning, confidence.... those tell you everything you need to know about a goalie, more so then stats do.

There are some plays I give cory a break for coming off an injury, but some you just have to save regardless (goals 2 and esp 3 tonight, and goal 2 in florida)

6 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Goalie stats are really useless, they don't tell you how the goalie really is.  Nhl.com did a story on this and how most goalies don't even look or care what their numbers are, they're a big reflection on the team as well.  Cory is nothing more then an average goalie, nothing more, nothing less.  He'll have good weeks/months and bad ones.  The one constant throughout his time here is he fails to make the clutch saves, the timely saves.  Idc if he makes 50 brodeur stack pads if your losing by 3 bc you gave up 2 weak goals, or make those stack saves and let in a weak one in the last few minutes. 

Maybe its just me bc I'm a goalie, but I look for rebound control, positioning, confidence.... those tell you everything you need to know about a goalie, more so then stats do.

There are some plays I give cory a break for coming off an injury, but some you just have to save regardless (goals 2 and esp 3 tonight, and goal 2 in florida)

You look for any reason to tear down Schneider.  Schneider has made a ton of clutch saves.  He has just always had a terrible team around him, and that affects everyone's perception.  People can't get away from it.  He might now be an average goalie, but he was not an average goalie when he got here, the Devils just wasted the best 3 years of his career.

Brodeur was fvcking awful in 99 and 2001, he cost the Devils a 1st round win against a team they dominated all series long and he cost the Devils a Stanley Cup in the Finals.  The thing about Brodeur is that he got to play for an amazing team for a decade and he got lots and lots of chances to prove how clutch he was and he had 3 fantastic Cup runs where he played brilliantly and only people with long memories also remember when he blew it and was bad.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Early January? Try late December. December 27 to be exact. You and I have the same number of wins in 2018 as Schneider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah well there you go.  That's about the last time Hall played a game without scoring a point too, ironically enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Come on. Cory has been poor. But let's be honest if Hall isnt on the ice this team isn't scoring. This isn't all goaltending. 

Losing Mojo and Gibbons has narrowed Hynes options to switch stuff up when the team is on a scoring slump. The young guys are fatigued. It's a combination. 

Is Gibbons even alive? Honest question. 

Just look at Philly guys. Hard to deny they've been trending up lately and just look at the score of some of the games they played in the last month. They've won games 7-4... 5-3, 4-3, etc etc and they've lost games where they scored 6 goals. To blame one guy is ridiculous

I'd feel like such an entitled prick to bash Schneider right now cause he's going through a rough patch after watching him absolutely WASTING his best years in the league playing in front of an old and slow team unable to score 1 or 2 goals for him while he was standing on his head almost every single game. Don't you guys all remember feeling insanely bad for the guy? 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Just look at Philly guys. Hard to deny they've been trending up lately and just look at the score of some of the games they played in the last month. They've won games 7-4... 5-3, 4-3, etc etc and they've lost games where they scored 6 goals. To blame one guy is ridiculous

I'd feel like such an entitled prick to bash Schneider right now cause he's going through a rough patch after watching him absolutely WASTING his best years in the league playing in front of an old and slow team unable to score 1 or 2 goals for him while he was standing on his head almost every single game. Don't you guys all remember feeling insanely bad for the guy? 

Cory is the 7th highest paid goalie in the league. He needs to be better. Period. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Agree. With no intention to underestimated the teams that beat us, most recent GA came from sick bounces which sometimes is simply bad luck or our inability to clear the D zone and make responsible plays which pisses me the most. We literally create scoring opportunities for other teams and they punish us more often then we do them. What did "great" Vegas create tonight to put 3 on the score board? Almost nothing. GA 1: turnover - shot - poor coverage - rebound - score. GA 2: Vatanen does nothing but watching the knight completely screen Cory - shot - score. GA 3: Cory's mistake but let's not forget the stupid penalty we took down 2:1... Same story with Cats and Canes.  It's a fast game and everybody makes mistakes, but ours are typical and constant. If they could reduce those idiotic defensive lapses, they could've gotten at least a point in each of the last 3 losses. 

Still in the race

Go Devils

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Agree. With no intention to underestimated the teams that beat us, most recent GA came from sick bounces which sometimes is simply bad luck or our inability to clear the D zone and make responsible plays which pisses me the most. We literally create scoring opportunities for other teams and they punish us more often then we do them. What did "great" Vegas create tonight to put 3 on the score board? Almost nothing. GA 1: turnover - shot - poor coverage - rebound - score. GA 2: Vatanen does nothing but watching the knight completely screen Cory - shot - score. GA 3: Cory's mistake but let's not forget the stupid penalty we took down 2:1... Same story with Cats and Canes.  It's a fast game and everybody makes mistakes, but ours are typical and constant. If they could reduce those idiotic defensive lapses, they could've gotten at least a point in each of the last 3 losses. 

Still in the race

Go Devils

Would without a doubt make Cory look better and maybe show his true colours, or at least help him. Cory made good saves tonight. He’s far from playing his best but as you’ve said many scoring chances by other teams can be avoided by the team in front of him. The team needs to clean up their game. Cory, as I’ve said made solid saves from the start tonight, but he’s not playing his best that’s for sure. 

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Is Gibbons even alive? Honest question. 

He is out with a broken thumb. Possibly the slowest healing thumb in history. 

I think MoJo has been shut down for the season. Probably for the best , let him recover fully.