You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just to chime in on this point, since I live in the state and closer to the arena than I ever have before, I don't enjoy going all that much. Leaving to see a game after work/meet up with your friends if you don't work with them is a huge pain in the ass. Traffic is absolutely horrid trying to get to and from Newark and really all around the NYC area of NJ in general. Then, you have to pay an additional $20-30 to park at the arena to walk 2 blocks to get there, which is a bigger deal in the rain, snow, and cold of winter. The trains also kind of stink because not everyone has a train station within walking distance of their work or home and, if the game goes into OT, you're waiting for another hour for the late train. The train was supposed to be a cost effective option when they proposed it, but it now costs almost as much per person depending on where you're coming from and you have to add in more to park at the station. Imagine being a small family and having to coordinate this? I'm a single guy and I hate spending 70$ to sit in bad seats and take forever to get to the game.

Compare that to when I went to Tampa recently, it was so much nicer. Cost $5 to Uber to Amilie Arena and there were tons of places around the arena to go before and after. Plus, its not really a secret, Newark isn't the greatest place to go whereas Tampa was awesome.

Not trying to hijack the Cory hate thread, sorry. Just adding my 2 cents in really quick before my boss yells at me for not working.

FWIW I have a totally different experience with going to the arena:

1) Traffic isn't that bad.  I drive about 30 miles one-way from work or home to the arena and it takes me 40-50 minutes on average.

2) I park in a guarded/fenced in lot that is about 3 blocks from the arena for the past 4-5 seasons.  The cost is $7.50-8.75 during that time.

3) I buy tickets on the secondary market.  Unless it is against a rival or on a special night/weekend, I can usually get lower level for $30-40 after fees.

4) I never take the train.  Nearest station to my home is Somerville and right now it is $22 per person round trip.  Hence why I drive.

All in I typically spend about $50ish to sit in lower level seats for most games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Just to chime in on this point, since I live in the state and closer to the arena than I ever have before, I don't enjoy going all that much. Leaving to see a game after work/meet up with your friends if you don't work with them is a huge pain in the ass. Traffic is absolutely horrid trying to get to and from Newark and really all around the NYC area of NJ in general. Then, you have to pay an additional $20-30 to park at the arena to walk 2 blocks to get there, which is a bigger deal in the rain, snow, and cold of winter. The trains also kind of stink because not everyone has a train station within walking distance of their work or home and, if the game goes into OT, you're waiting for another hour for the late train. The train was supposed to be a cost effective option when they proposed it, but it now costs almost as much per person depending on where you're coming from and you have to add in more to park at the station. Imagine being a small family and having to coordinate this? I'm a single guy and I hate spending 70$ to sit in bad seats and take forever to get to the game.

Compare that to when I went to Tampa recently, it was so much nicer. Cost $5 to Uber to Amilie Arena and there were tons of places around the arena to go before and after. Plus, its not really a secret, Newark isn't the greatest place to go whereas Tampa was awesome.

Not trying to hijack the Cory hate thread, sorry. Just adding my 2 cents in really quick before my boss yells at me for not working.

oh bro i totally understand that there's tons of reasons why an individual couldn't show up to games on a regular basis and it's 100% understandable. The simple fact that not everyone can actually afford it is a good enough argument. Also there's weight to the argument that NJ was the latest team added in an already saturated market and all of that, i'm fully aware of all that. That being said there's enough population in the area to overcome that and the team had enough success to at least grow their attendance through the years... none of that happened. We've been at the bottom of the league steadily. And the team had 2 rinks and other cities are also dealing with similar problems so i'd take that with a grain of salt when it comes to a fully legit justification for those low numbers. If we would have peaked at some point at the very least... i think the best ive seen we were like... bottom 11. That's not a good peak.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Hard to say they’re “almost fully healthy” with MoJo and Gibbons out. MoJo especially Shero probably counted on being an important piece. 

How so?  Missing two guys on your roster at this point in the season should be considered lucky.  Lots of other teams have it far worse - either missing more guys, or guys considered to be much more critical to their team.  MoJo has hardly played any games for us it seems, so it's really impossible to tell how much of an impact he'd be having right now, and while Gibbons did have a nice start to the season, I think most people think that was probably a bit of a fluke, and that he would have cooled off considerably by now, much like some of the other guys have (i.e. Bratt).

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How so?  Missing two guys on your roster at this point in the season should be considered lucky.  Lots of other teams have it far worse - either missing more guys, or guys considered to be much more critical to their team.  MoJo has hardly played any games for us it seems, so it's really impossible to tell how much of an impact he'd be having right now, and while Gibbons did have a nice start to the season, I think most people think that was probably a bit of a fluke, and that he would have cooled off considerably by now, much like some of the other guys have (i.e. Bratt).

MoJo hasn’t had less than 44 points each of the last 4 years. If he would have been healthy all season and been that productive he’d probably be 2nd on the team in scoring. Just pointing out it’s a big loss. 

Edited by Nicomo

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

1) Traffic isn't that bad.  I drive about 30 miles one-way from work or home to the arena and it takes me 40-50 minutes on average.

2) I park in a guarded/fenced in lot that is about 3 blocks from the arena for the past 4-5 seasons.  The cost is $7.50-8.75 during that time.

3) I buy tickets on the secondary market.  Unless it is against a rival or on a special night/weekend, I can usually get lower level for $30-40 after fees.

4) I never take the train.  Nearest station to my home is Somerville and right now it is $22 per person round trip.  Hence why I drive.

All in I typically spend about $50ish to sit in lower level seats for most games.

Holy sh!t, $30-40 lower level?  Man, I know we've always had moderate attendance issues going back years, and that we're not exactly great right now, but damn...it's been at least 5 years since tickets were that cheap here in Tampa, maybe even a decade.  I know they're the best team in the league right now, but still...tickets were pretty damn high even a few years ago, when they were not that great.  I paid about $120 a ticket with fees to sit in the lower level at the Devils game a few weeks ago.  I went to the Flyers game this past Saturday with a buddy of mine, and we paid about $67 to sit upstairs :(

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

To your point, since you hit on the Tampa experience a little, here's my typical gameday experience:

-  It takes me about an hour to get to the arena from my house by car, in typical rush hour traffic (leaving around 5:30-6ish to get there for 7 or 730 puck drop on a weeknight)

- For 20 years I have parked at a small lawyer's office about a 5-10 minute walk from the stadium, for free.  It only holds about 10-12 cars, but very few people know about it, and it's literally adjacent to several other parking lots where people pay 10 bucks or more to park.  It's pretty hilarious.

- Tickets now are pretty expensive, but I guess that's to be expected when they're good.  The overall atmosphere and experience inside the stadium is top notch as well, so at least I feel I'm getting my money's worth when I go to a game, even if it drains my wallet.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Why not though? Trust me i get the whole thing but i always go back to the initial expectations we all had. Hell we finished at the bottom of the league last year, and we added a bunch of rookies on top of a bunch of average NHL players for most parts, what the fvck do people expect?

This was my statement 10% in the season. "Yeah they are playing well right now but they are likely overachieving, i still don't expect them to make the playoffs but if they do it's obviously great and ahead of schedule. Plus as the season progress, it's becoming tighter and tighter and it's harder especially for a young team with a bunch of rookies and average players". That statement is still true and many people were agreeing with it back then. But they became greedy as the season went on. Why is it not a reasonable expectation not to cough it up when it's been predicted from the get-go? 

We're following a plan and pieces are falling into place faster than it should, that there are not more people accepting that is mindblowing to me. That something would give you MORE than it technically should have... but then still ask for more. Insane.

It's truly nothing more than entitled fans. And i must add... since i live in a different country and watching from afar, what's truly embarrassing and quite frustrating  to see is a fanbase failing to even come close to be a middle of the pack in attendance through the league year after year, even after the team won cups and were always a shoe-in for the playoffs... mostly bottom 5 through its history... and then holding the team to such insane expectations through a rebuilt. That's what's insane to me. Unexcusable really. If the team is going to be called out for not showing up. The fans should too.

Its nothing more than encouraging. We know Hall can be a stud, we know Nico and Bratt will only get better and better, Zacha is showing signs of greatness at times. We have good young guys coming up. We know we'll get rid of Boyle, Zajac and Greene sooner than later. We have speed, skills. 

I get that people may think they overachieved and that their play up until now was somewhat unexpected and a positive thing, but that doesn't change the fact that what they have accomplished so far might be dulled a bit if they were to lose grasp of the playoff spot that they currently occupy.  No one ever wants to come from ahead to lose.  As encouraging at the start of this year may have been, it's equally discouraging to see that what you have as a team/roster is a group of guys that  aren't capable of closing things out and taking control.  

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

MoJo hasn’t had less than 44 points each of the last 4 years. If he would have been healthy all season and been that productive he’d probably be 2nd on the team in scoring. Just pointing out it’s a big loss. 

True.  I definitely wanted to see what he would bring to the team and was really excited when he signed him, but being that this was his first season with us and we haven't had a taste for how he fits with the rest of the guys, I'm not ready to say we would have gotten this or that from him just yet.  

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t, $30-40 lower level?  Man, I know we've always had moderate attendance issues going back years, and that we're not exactly great right now, but damn...it's been at least 5 years since tickets were that cheap here in Tampa, maybe even a decade.  I know they're the best team in the league right now, but still...tickets were pretty damn high even a few years ago, when they were not that great.  I paid about $120 a ticket with fees to sit in the lower level at the Devils game a few weeks ago.  I went to the Flyers game this past Saturday with a buddy of mine, and we paid about $67 to sit upstairs :(

To your point, since you hit on the Tampa experience a little, here's my typical gameday experience:

-  It takes me about an hour to get to the arena from my house by car, in typical rush hour traffic (leaving around 5:30-6ish to get there for 7 or 730 puck drop on a weeknight)

- For 20 years I have parked at a small lawyer's office about a 5-10 minute walk from the stadium, for free.  It only holds about 10-12 cars, but very few people know about it, and it's literally adjacent to several other parking lots where people pay 10 bucks or more to park.  It's pretty hilarious.

- Tickets now are pretty expensive, but I guess that's to be expected when they're good.  The overall atmosphere and experience inside the stadium is top notch as well, so at least I feel I'm getting my money's worth when I go to a game, even if it drains my wallet.

I get that people may think they overachieved and that their play up until now was somewhat unexpected and a positive thing, but that doesn't change the fact that what they have accomplished so far might be dulled a bit if they were to lose grasp of the playoff spot that they currently occupy.  No one ever wants to come from ahead to lose.  As encouraging at the start of this year may have been, it's equally discouraging to see that what you have as a team/roster is a group of guys that  aren't capable of closing things out and taking control.  

To be fair like I said in my post I am going to mid-week games against non-rival teams.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have sen them play live against teams like Carolina, Ottawa, Columbus, and Florida.

Since the start of February I have been to 5 games.  One game I paid $38 for lowers.  The next 3 games I got lower levels (including 2 games in row 11!) for free from the team as there was a link with a code that unlocked literally hundreds of free tickets for each game from a list of about 5 games).  Then the last game I went to was Elias night, but that was expensive.  I paid $100 for 100-level ticket for that game.

So 5 games for $138 or $27.60 per with 4 out of the 5 in the lower levels.  Not bad at all.

57 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I rarely ever hit traffic, takes me 25-30 mins to get there and on the way home it's usually 25 mins and I can almost get all the way home before the post game radio show is over and that's after sticking around for the 3 stars and listening to the interview if we win. 

I park on the street for free, I've never had an issue and I'm not afraid to walk a couple blocks which to some people seems absurd cause some people are still afraid of Newark but I detest having to pay to park my car. 

I have season tickets, love my seats, enjoy supporting the team and don't care about the price because I believe what I pay is reasonable and I don't buy a lot of material things in my life because I'm more about experiences than junk I don't need so for me it's worth it. I think it averages out to $55 a game. 

I hate public transportation so that's never even an option for me and it would take me way longer if I did instead of driving myself. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I rarely ever hit traffic, takes me 25-30 mins to get there and on the way home it's usually 25 mins and I can almost get all the way home before the post game radio show is over and that's after sticking around for the 3 stars and listening to the interview if we win. 

I park on the street for free, I've never had an issue and I'm not afraid to walk a couple blocks which to some people seems absurd cause some people are still afraid of Newark but I detest having to pay to park my car. 

I have season tickets, love my seats, enjoy supporting the team and don't care about the price because I believe what I pay is reasonable and I don't buy a lot of material things in my life because I'm more about experiences than junk I don't need so for me it's worth it. 

I hate public transportation so that's never even an option for me and it would take me way longer if I did instead of driving myself. 

I rarely hit bad traffic too.  I also am a little afraid to park on the street as I know a couple people have had their cars broken into.  I think Colin here has had that happen to him (though I might be wrong).  The lot I park to is nice and cheap and is right by the Federal Courthouse.  It is a 5-ish minute walk to the arena and is about 3-4 blocks.

I still see people afraid to go more than 1 block from the arena.  It is kind of funny as they make it out to be like Baghdad but it is not even close and I have never had problems.

I take the train once a year for sh!ts and giggles.  Each time I remember why I hate the train.  I drive in and out and even with gas it is about 1/2 the price and I get home about 45 minutes sooner.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I rarely hit bad traffic too.  I also am a little afraid to park on the street as I know a couple people have had their cars broken into.  I think Colin here has had that happen to him (though I might be wrong).  The lot I park to is nice and cheap and is right by the Federal Courthouse.  It is a 5-ish minute walk to the arena and is about 3-4 blocks.

I still see people afraid to go more than 1 block from the arena.  It is kind of funny as they make it out to be like Baghdad but it is not even close and I have never had problems.

I take the train once a year for sh!ts and giggles.  Each time I remember why I hate the train.  I drive in and out and even with gas it is about 1/2 the price and I get home about 45 minutes sooner.

Don't quote me on this but from what I remember of Colin telling that story was he had his hockey bag or something stolen too so they probably thought it was something more valuable in it. I leave absolutely nothing of value in my car when I go to the games, you can look in all the windows and see there's nothing to take and honestly I'm at the point where I've been parking for free for so long that I still would probably come out ahead saving money with having to fix a broken window vs paying to park all these years lol

I still don't get the Newark hate either, sure it's not the nicest place but I've never once felt threatened, the immediate area right around the arena is fine and it's only been getting better.

If we ever adopt the Atlanta fan friendly pricing system on concessions maybe I would take the train more but I don't eat or drink at the arena cause of the ridiculous prices. I'm really not a cheap person but there's just no chance in hell I'm paying 12 bucks to whatever the price is now for a beer when I can get an entire case of something for $18-22. $15 for a few chicken tenders and fries? Meh. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Well that's really really really important to understand and any NHLer will tell you. Through a season there's like 4 gears...

First half of the season where teams are adjusting and learning to play together, learning a new system, its looser, guys you wouldnt expect go on streaks cause nobody expected them to etc etc The vets are pacing themselves not always producing too much. You often see young teams doing well (we truly see it every single year), teams don't have much videos to go from to prep for matchups. Teams are relying on their depth more than anything.

After christmas, the game gets tighter, there's way less room to make plays and the vets are starting to pick it up a lot more.

After the trade deadline teams are either falling or getting traction. Remember, most teams doing well in the playoffs were teams who got hot late in the season.

Then the playoffs is a completely other game. Tight check, the top players are matched up hard, your depth has to show up.

And this comment is not custom made to fit an argument. It's been the same for decades. So it's not surprising that our team is struggling now. It was truly bound to happen. That's not to say we're not going to make it but i fully refuse to let us missing the playoffs tarnish my view of the team at the moment, my only worry is vets not producing like they should at the moment like Green, Zajac, Schneider etc etc. To pin it on one guy is ridiculous. The NEED to find a scapegoat to sh!t on on this board is absolutely insane. 

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean that's also fair too.  Boyle isn't really playing like a 4th line center.  He's playing like a parking cone that's afraid to get hit by a 15 year old student driver.  Even 4th line centers are supposed to get points every now and then.  

But if you are going to call people out, start with the other 5 in our top 6, minus Hall. If they aren’t scoring, what chance does our 4C have??

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

While competing for a playoff spot is indeed a positive thing, at the same time, giving up a 9 point wildcard cushion in early March would indeed be a massive negative.  Perhaps not a "catastrophic meltdown that does significant damage", but it would be up there with some of the piss poor choke jobs in recent history.  This team has had enough opportunities to earn a playoff berth, and if they let it slip away, there's a lot of blame to go around, and attendance most certainly will be down next year.  No one's expecting this team to go deep into the playoffs if they do end up making it, probably just as many people didn't even expect them to make the playoffs when the season began, but when you have a considerable lead on the teams behind you with 20-25 games left in the season, it's a reasonable expectation not to cough it up.  I personally will be fvcking pissed if they do.  There's no reason for it.  Our starting goalie is now back, we have a roster that is for the most part almost fully healthy, our GM made a move at the deadline to try to bolster the team a bit, and we have a guy who is single handedly putting up one of the greatest point scoring streaks in the last two decades.  

I'm not joining the doom and gloom crowd yet, but we're fast approaching a scenario that would be pretty embarrassing, and downright infuriating. 

For sure.  And all of those are fair as well :P

Not to mention the GM put some chips on the table this year at the deadline once expectations were raised. Choking a playoff berth away would be a huge setback, I’m sorry. Especially when it’s a missed opportunity to get postseason experience for the younger players. Some fans might be happy with moral victories but that no longer exists when you’re in a position that you’re now supposed to make the playoffs and make trades for rentals to that end. I promise you Shero is not going to be happy if they choke it up and neither should the fans. I’d like to make the playoffs again before the end of the decade, it’s already been five years approaching six now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

I can't stand when people bring up "He's not clutch or he's clutch" in sports.

You’re going to have to live with it when it comes to this player until he actually makes some big saves after January for a team that matters and maybe (gasp) actually plays in a playoff game as a Devil.  It’d be nice for this ‘great’ goaltender to make the playoffs one time over the life of his contract.

Edited by NJDevs4978

52 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah, not understanding how the experience at the Rock made it into this thread. It's one of the highest grossing arenas in the world so it's obviously not that poor of an experience. I drive from Avon usually or if I'm at work going straight to a game then I am coming from Philly. Never have an issue. Get off the turnpike at 13A and follow it to 21, make a left at the McDonalds then make the right to park next to the courthouse. $8.25 on the parkwhiz app. Have season tickets where I pay $32 (I think) or might be $36 for row 1 seats in section 116. 

Nothing but a good experience every time I go even though we have sucked for nearly my entire time having season tickets. The fan experience is pretty good in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But if you are going to call people out, start with the other 5 in our top 6, minus Hall. If they aren’t scoring, what chance does our 4C have??

I don't feel calling out Hischier and Bratt is fair either. I'd invite people to go check how many players were in the league at their age and how much they were producing at that time. Then go and look at a bunch of TOP players in the league at the moment... and see where they were at Nico/Bratt's age... they were likely in juniors, KHL or in the NHL not producing much. Unless you're talking about the generational talent like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews etc etc 

Then realize what potential these kids are showing. What they did this year is incredible and super promising/encouraging. 

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You’re going to have to live with it when it comes to this player until he actually makes some big saves after January and maybe (gasp) plays in a playoff game as a Devil.

February 2014-end of season:  .912 save%

February 2015-end of season:  .931 save%

February 2016-end of season:  .909 save% (did miss a month due to injury)

February 2017-end of season:  .906 save%

I'm not defending nor attacking your point, just putting the numbers up there for all to see.  It's also fair to point out that these teams all got weaker as the season went on (partly due to being sellers). 

I think we all agree (including Cory himself) that he needs to be better.  His save% in his last nine starts is .875.  That's just not going to get it done. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I know. And we struggle with them when they suck.... Thursday should be a real barrel of laughs. emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit of potentially good news is that Winnipeg recalled Steve Mason from a conditioning stint.  So maybe we get lucky and he's starting against us.

A bit of potentially good news is that Winnipeg recalled Steve Mason from a conditioning stint.  So maybe we get lucky and he's starting against us.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm sure Maurice is well aware of Mason's career record against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't feel calling out Hischier and Bratt is fair either. I'd invite people to go check how many players were in the league at their age and how much they were producing at that time. Then go and look at a bunch of TOP players in the league at the moment... and see where they were at Nico/Bratt's age... they were likely in juniors, KHL or in the NHL not producing much. Unless you're talking about the generational talent like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews etc etc 

Then realize what potential these kids are showing. What they did this year is incredible and super promising/encouraging. 

If they are playing first line minutes, I expect them to score more than I expect Brian Boyle to score. That is not unreasonable. 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If they are playing first line minutes, I expect them to score more than I expect Brian Boyle to score. That is not unreasonable. 

In fairness to both Bratt and Nico, Bratt's offensive disappearance came right after the 48-game mark...interestingly enough, he played 48 games two seasons ago and 46 games last season in the AIK.  Maybe that's why he's hit the wall so hard, but I agree, he can't play first-line minutes right now.

As for Nico, he's not that far removed from a nice offensive surge.  Maybe he's got another one in the tank. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness to both Bratt and Nico, Bratt's offensive disappearance came right after the 48-game mark...interestingly enough, he played 48 games two seasons ago and 46 games last season in the AIK.  Maybe that's why he's hit the wall so hard, but I agree, he can't play first-line minutes right now.

As for Nico, he's not that far removed from a nice offensive surge.  Maybe he's got another one in the tank. 

I agree with you, but to argue it’s ok from them because they are young, but it’s not ok from Boyle, who exceeded expectations in the first half as well, is inconsistent to say the least.