You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If they are playing first line minutes, I expect them to score more than I expect Brian Boyle to score. That is not unreasonable. 

ha. Well man do i ever have great news for you!!

IT HAPPENED !!! :D:D:D

i mean seriously check this out. 

Boyle has 18 pts. Right?

ok here's the kicker dude. You better SIT DOWN.

Bratt has 34 pts. 

and Nico has 41 !!!!!

34 / 41 > 18

#science 

• Like 1

I think Schneider needs to play better, anyone would say that, I just don't understand why he has to be the one that deserves a thread getting sh!t on when the rest of the team hasn't done sh!t either. 

Boyle: 0 goals in 24 GP. Coleman: 0 goals in last 15 GP. Wood: 2 goals in last 15 GP. Zacha: 0 goals in last 7 GP. Bratt: 1 goal in last 20 GP. Nico: 0 goals in last 7 GP. Zajac: 0 goals in last 14 GP. Grabner: 0 goals in 5 GP. Maroon: 0 goals in 3GP. Stafford: 1 goal in last 19 GP. Hayes, who got a handful of games in January and February hasn't scored since November 1st. Butcher hasn't recorded a point since February 10th. Moore has 4 points since February 1.

He is getting no help, as per usual, the same old story as his whole Devils career. Same can be said for when Kinkaid and Lack were playing.  Have scored more than 2 goals once since the Hall overtime winner against Carolina, and that's why we're 2-5 in our last 7.

Again, criticism is warranted but a thread acting like he's single handedly tanking the season is pretty fvcking stupid and delusional. He's got plenty of help in that regard, at this point it seems like the only person who will be able to do this is Hall himself and to a lesser degree Palmieri is chipping in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ha. Well man do i ever have great news for you!!

IT HAPPENED !!! :D:D:D

i mean seriously check this out. 

Boyle has 18 pts. Right?

ok here's the kicker dude. You better SIT DOWN.

Bratt has 34 pts. 

and Nico has 41 !!!!!

34 / 41 > 18

#science 

We were talking about the recent complete lack of scoring by anyone other than Hall. My point was I expect more out of my top 6 than my 4C. Scoring for the season is irrelevant to the conversation.

#ReadingIsFundamental

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

We were talking about the recent complete lack of scoring by anyone other than Hall. My point was I expect more out of my top 6 than my 4C. Scoring for the season is irrelevant to the conversation.

#ReadingIsFundamental

so if Stamkos would score 35 goals before Xmas and 5 in the second half... we should only judge him by the 2nd half... not by what he brought to the team over the course of the season? got it.

#whathaveyoudoneformelately

Edited by SterioDesign

Wow, you’re dense. 

Nobody is talking about first half scoring. And, in fact, Boyle exceeded expectation in the first half. 

We are talking about now. So who is scoring now is the issue, not who scored what in the first half. Nobody is judging anyone based on what they did for the whole season. 

The Devils top 6 other than Hall has been basically absent for a number of weeks, that’s a bigger problem than your 4C not scoring. If you can’t see that, I don’t know how to explain it to you.

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree with you, but to argue it’s ok from them because they are young, but it’s not ok from Boyle, who exceeded expectations in the first half as well, is inconsistent to say the least.

What's amazing is that based on his whole season, Boyle would still be on pace to crack his second-highest point total for 82 games in his career, even with his two points in his last 28 GP.  What's insane is that he actually scored 9 goals and added 5 assists in a 15-game stretch this year...that's clearly one of the most productive runs of his career, if not THE most.  I think the only other one that comes close is a 6 goal, 8 assist run in 18 GP as a Ranger back in 2010-11. 

9 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

I think Schneider needs to play better, anyone would say that, I just don't understand why he has to be the one that deserves a thread getting sh!t on when the rest of the team hasn't done sh!t either. 

Boyle: 0 goals in 24 GP. Coleman: 0 goals in last 15 GP. Wood: 2 goals in last 15 GP. Zacha: 0 goals in last 7 GP. Bratt: 1 goal in last 20 GP. Nico: 0 goals in last 7 GP. Zajac: 0 goals in last 14 GP. Grabner: 0 goals in 5 GP. Maroon: 0 goals in 3GP. Stafford: 1 goal in last 19 GP. Hayes, who got a handful of games in January and February hasn't scored since November 1st. Butcher hasn't recorded a point since February 10th. Moore has 4 points since February 1.

He is getting no help, as per usual, the same old story as his whole Devils career. Same can be said for when Kinkaid and Lack were playing.  Have scored more than 2 goals once since the Hall overtime winner against Carolina, and that's why we're 2-5 in our last 7.

Again, criticism is warranted but a thread acting like he's single handedly tanking the season is pretty fvcking stupid and delusional. He's got plenty of help in that regard, at this point it seems like the only person who will be able to do this is Hall himself and to a lesser degree Palmieri is chipping in.

Schneider is definitely part of the problem (especially in his last nine games), but you are correct, he's far from alone.  A lot of things have to be going wrong to go 11-16-3 in 30 games.  Some it has been injuries, some of it has been the kids slowing up, some of it has been goaltending...just like it was a group effort in a lot of ways when the team was 22-9-5, this 11-16-3 run has also been a group effort...minus Hall of course. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wow, you’re dense. 

Nobody is talking about first half scoring. And, in fact, Boyle exceeded expectation in the first half. 

We are talking about now. So who is scoring now is the issue, not who scored what in the first half. Nobody is judging anyone based on what they did for the whole season. 

The Devils top 6 other than Hall has been basically absent for a number of weeks, that’s a bigger problem than your 4C not scoring. If you can’t see that, I don’t know how to explain it to you.

I can see it but it goes back to expecting more from 2 rookies than what they likely can achieve. What they did already is very very good. They were going to slow down we ALL knew that.

We did not have a team built to compete this season. Yet we did. That's what you guys doesn't seem to understand here. We all know there's problems right now, but they were ALL expected. All of them. So why is everyone surprised suddenly? 

Edited by SterioDesign

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I can see it but it goes back to expecting more from 2 rookies than what they likely can achieve. What they did already is very very good. They were going to slow down we ALL knew that.

We did not have a team built to compete this season. Yet we did. That's what you guys doesn't seem to understand here.

You don’t expect more scoring from the guys on your first and second lines than you do from your 4C, regardless whether they are rookies? Can you honestly say that? 

I have no problem with what they did, or that they have slowed down. But to get on Boyle’s case, as a 4C, when guys in the top 6 are doing literally nothing for weeks is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You don’t expect more scoring from the guys on your first and second lines than you do from your 4C, regardless whether they are rookies? Can you honestly say that? 

I have no problem with what they did, or that they have slowed down. But to get on Boyle’s case, as a 4C, when guys in the top 6 are doing literally nothing for weeks is ridiculous.

Well it's not a black and white statement but here's what we knew and some worries we had.

• Both never played this many games in a season plus at a way higher level. We suspected they'd run out of gas by the end of the season. It happened.

• Being small guys there were worries how they could handle the physical side of the game through a full season. We all know both guys have some growing to do in order to get stronger.

• Both were new guys in the league doing well, other teams usually adjust to that through the season and they know how to play you.

I'm absolutely not worried about those 2 guys for the long run. But what were getting and seeing this seeing is absolute gravy and it's nothing but positive. Growing pains were going to happen.

and ultimately... is it their fault that they are on the first line? lol They are the best we have and thats why they are there. Can't blame the guys if they can't produce steadily in their first season. Again we were not supposed to compete this season! we were bottom of the league last year

Edited by SterioDesign

The dramatics here are getting exhausting guys.

They're not "free-falling" - they went 8-6-0 in February.  And they're off to a rough start in March at 0-3, granted.  But .500 hockey is not "free-falling" for this team.

They can still afford to go 6-7-3 and have a better-than-not chance of making the playoffs.  It'd certainly make things interesting, no doubt, but this idea that they've already sealed their fate is ludicrous.

Listen, I love that the Devils are back and that March hockey is interesting again.  But some of you guys need to get a fvcking grip and hold on tight to something because losing you fvcking mind after every loss is just ridiculous and it makes you look... well, ridiculous.

And maybe seek out some medication to lower the peaks and raise the valleys.  But I'm not a doctor, so what do I know.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Why is it so hard to comprehend that expectations change? Vegas was expected to be one of the three worst teams in the league this year, and they’re one of the best. Should their fans be okay if they lose 15 straight? Senators fans expected a Stanley Cup, should their fans be watching every game with Stanley-Cup expectations still?

the devils were supposed to be terrible. Darn. And then they weren’t! Neat! And they mortgaged a 2nd and 3rd round pick plus a top organizational defensive prospect for two true rental player.

So — now that they’re in a free-fall out of playoff position — why are fans not allowed to care? Even moreso, why are you so mind-numbingly concerned with how other fans react to their free-fall?

When you’re not being a broken-record you’re an incredible addition to the forums. But stuff like this is so painful to read. Every single thread... EVERY single thread is littered with you telling other fans how THEY should feel. I know there’s an ignore feature but when you’re not being this forum’s unelected feelings-police, you’re a great contributor. It’s just so incredibly and painfully frustrating.

And you don't think this goes both ways? 

You don't think it's insanely painful to read the same posters whining about Schneider, Boyle, Greene, Zajac, Kinkaid or whoever is the latest scapegoat. The same posters being broken-records posting 30 posts within one thread saying how bad X player is. Going full blown irrational doom and gloom every single time the team lose a game. Wants everyone traded, fired, etc etc. You know the fan bases that you hate. Well they are bad cause they are full of that kind of fans, it's that kind of fans that boos their own players, it's that kind of fans who give a black eye to a fanbase. 

Why am i not allowed to call out those people? I'm not here to police anyone but if someone is irrational and unfair in their statements, it's a message board and i have all the rights in the world to call them out on it. And again, if your friend is mad and depressed cause he says he's fat. Yet he's 5'5 and 150lbs. You want that person to have the right mindset in order to be happy and appreciate his situation so you provide facts and a new mindset for that person to feel better. 

And truly, if someone finds me annoying for trying to bring positivity in the fanbase or in someone's mindset. That's more telling about them than about me. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We did not have a team built to compete this season. Yet we did. That's what you guys doesn't seem to understand here. We all know there's problems right now, but they were ALL expected. All of them. So why is everyone surprised suddenly? 

The one flaw in this logic (and MITB just mentioned expectations being amended) is that even the GM himself bought into this team.  He doesn't make deals for Grabner and Maroon (giving up a 2018 second and 2019 third) if he doesn't...he could've hung onto those draft pick chips for an offseason move.  We know how GMs roll, especially smart ones like Shero...if he didn't think this team had a very good chance to get in, he not only doesn't make those deals, he may even try to sell a little...say, a guy like Moore, or some of the stopgap guys (like Stafford or Hayes, though neither would bring back much). 

Sure, fans will be disappointed if the team doesn't make it, and though deep down a lot of us thought the clock could strike midnight due to some of what we're seeing now, that doesn't mean it will be easy to accept, especially since the team was in contention for a spot in the last quarter of the season.  And I'm sure Shero will be pretty disappointed too, especially since he really tried hard to get this team over the hump with some surprising "right now" moves. 

2 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

What’s more annoying? Someone who complains about Schneider? Or someone who complains about the people who complain about Schneider? 

Or someone who complains about the people who complain about the people who complain about Schneider? 

Quick someone complain about that.

Well without the initial whiners there's no whiners at all. How 'bout that?

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The one flaw in this logic (and MITB just mentioned expectations being amended) is that even the GM himself bought into this team.  He doesn't make deals for Grabner and Maroon (giving up a 2018 second and 2019 third) if he doesn't...he could've hung onto those draft pick chips for an offseason move.  We know how GMs roll, especially smart ones like Shero...if he didn't think this team had a very good chance to get in, he not only doesn't make those deals, he may even try to sell a little...say, a guy like Moore, or some of the stopgap guys (like Stafford or Hayes, though neither would bring back much). 

Sure, fans will be disappointed if the team doesn't make it, and though deep down a lot of us thought the clock could strike midnight due to some of what we're seeing now, that doesn't mean it will be easy to accept, especially since the team was in contention for a spot in the last quarter of the season.  And I'm sure Shero will be pretty disappointed too, especially since he really tried hard to get this team over the hump with some surprising "right now" moves. 

Well i'll.

Like it's one thing that your kid cries or sulk a little if he can't get the toy he wanted cause you can't afford it. It's another thing if the kid goes on a full-on meltdown and trash his room and gives you hell. 

To say it's a MASSIVE setback for the franchise or that it's some kind of catastrophe is we miss the playoffs this year is ridiculous. It would suck of course but it's truly not the end of the world. 

33 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to mention the GM put some chips on the table this year at the deadline once expectations were raised. Choking a playoff berth away would be a huge setback, I’m sorry. Especially when it’s a missed opportunity to get postseason experience for the younger players. Some fans might be happy with moral victories but that no longer exists when you’re in a position that you’re now supposed to make the playoffs and make trades for rentals to that end. I promise you Shero is not going to be happy if they choke it up and neither should the fans. I’d like to make the playoffs again before the end of the decade, it’s already been five years approaching six now.

Yep, exactly.  I tempered my expectations at the beginning of the season, but to see them come this far, at this point I want steps forward, not backward.  I'd be perfectly fine if they ended up losing in the first round - that to me is normal at this stage of their development as a team.  But to let a playoff berth slip away altogether...that to me is unacceptable.  

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But if you are going to call people out, start with the other 5 in our top 6, minus Hall. If they aren’t scoring, what chance does our 4C have??

Oh I agree, just saying that Boyle isn't exempt :) 

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's really really really important to understand and any NHLer will tell you. Through a season there's like 4 gears...

First half of the season where teams are adjusting and learning to play together, learning a new system, its looser, guys you wouldnt expect go on streaks cause nobody expected them to etc etc The vets are pacing themselves not always producing too much. You often see young teams doing well (we truly see it every single year), teams don't have much videos to go from to prep for matchups. Teams are relying on their depth more than anything.

After christmas, the game gets tighter, there's way less room to make plays and the vets are starting to pick it up a lot more.

After the trade deadline teams are either falling or getting traction. Remember, most teams doing well in the playoffs were teams who got hot late in the season.

Then the playoffs is a completely other game. Tight check, the top players are matched up hard, your depth has to show up.

And this comment is not custom made to fit an argument. It's been the same for decades. So it's not surprising that our team is struggling now. It was truly bound to happen. That's not to say we're not going to make it but i fully refuse to let us missing the playoffs tarnish my view of the team at the moment, my only worry is vets not producing like they should at the moment like Green, Zajac, Schneider etc etc. To pin it on one guy is ridiculous. The NEED to find a scapegoat to sh!t on on this board is absolutely insane. 

I get that, but you can look at it both ways.  Teams definitely get harder to play against as the season goes along, so it's harder to get wins, but in the same respect, the Devils should also be one of those teams that gets harder to play against as well.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I get that, but you can look at it both ways.  Teams definitely get harder to play against as the season goes along, so it's harder to get wins, but in the same respect, the Devils should also be one of those teams that gets harder to play against as well.

With the roster we have? Not too sure about that. And while It's partially true, i feel we did that. Before the season Shero and Hynes wanted the team to establish their identity and re-gain respect through the league. 

I fully feel we achieved that already. And even though we've been losing a lot. We're always losing by a goal which can be a matter of inches or luck/badluck.

Plus well... i never agreed with the whole... NHL conspiracy against NJ but for those who CLEARLY did... why be mad at the team then? It's clearly because of the refs if they lose right? lol Truth is people just want to put the blame on SOMETHING when things don't go their way.

Edited by SterioDesign

28 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

For every reassuring stat you give I can give an equally difficult one to swallow. They’re on a 3-game losing streak and only 2 games away from an 8-game road trip against teams who ALL have more points than the Devils. Let that sink in. If they win 3 of those 8 games (which would be a triumph), that means they need to go   5-2-2 in their other 9 games to give themselves a swinging chance. That’s not just bad, it’s brutal. 

The only silver lining in that scenario you painted is that winning 3 of those 8 games on the road trip is actually pretty reasonable.  I agree we should consider it a triumph if it happens, because it also seems daunting, but throughout most of the season so far, the Devils, even the losing stretches, have been in most of their games and losing by small margins.  We have been a competitive team the entire year, hardly ever getting blown out, so not only do I think it's reasonable to win 3 of those 8, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to win 4 or 5.  In all honesty, we've just been coming up short on various occasions and/or falling prey to some pretty bad luck (or sh!tty refs) that has led to some more losses than would have otherwise been expected recently.  Plus, going 5-2-2 in the final 9, while challenging, isn't exactly something that would be considered an impossible task.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean that's also fair too.  Boyle isn't really playing like a 4th line center.  He's playing like a parking cone that's afraid to get hit by a 15 year old student driver.  Even 4th line centers are supposed to get points every now and then.  

Would expect significantly more points more from Zacha who has 19 points in 59 games compared to Boyle 18 in 53 games.  Yes Boyles production has been week but Zacha's sadly even more pathetic.  Plenty of others not doing crap too.

• Like 1

Missing the playoffs after a 9 point lead with 20 games to go would be a full blown catastrophe. I’m doubling down on this. 

Hall: Goes without saying at this point. We’ve got to show him we have the ability to compete for a cup or he’s gone.

Schneider: I think we all looked at him coming back as something of a savior and it absolutely hasn’t happened. We know he already is a bit of a mental midget melting down in “clutch” spots. Four years left on his deal and he hasn’t looked like elite since Brodeur was breathing down his neck. 

Mojo: No, I’m not talking about Johansson, I’m talking about vibes and perception at both the league level and local level. The Devils at the league level could be players for a couple of free agent defensemen. To be able to bring one in without a massive overpay would have to give them proof that we’re conrenders. Choking this away would make us a joke.

For local level, some of you come off incredibly ignorant about the attendance issues and literally have no idea about the culture of the state, playing second fiddle to the rangers in outbursts backyards. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother bringing that up if you want support here. With the rangers in all likelihood missing the playoffs, this is an amazing opportunity to stake the flag back in the ground. Fvcking ranger fans everywhere. Neighbors, coworkers, you name it. It would be sweet as hell to have this over them and put the fear of god into them about the dynasty days coming back. 

Future: make those traded picks worth something. I’ll be fine with a first round loss giving up those picks. Feels like a total strikeout otherwise 

Edited by Devils Pride 26

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Would expect significantly more points more from Zacha who has 19 points in 59 games compared to Boyle 18 in 53 games.  Yes Boyles production has been week but Zacha's sadly even more pathetic.  Plenty of others not doing crap too.

Yep, I agree.  Only reason Zacha gets a little less flack, at least from me, is because he's still pretty young.  Overall though, he's definitely part of the large crew that hasn't really done sh!t lately, and we need him to.   

1 hour ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Missing the playoffs after a 9 point lead with 20 games to go would be a full blown catastrophe. I’m doubling down on this. 

Hall: Goes without saying at this point. We’ve got to show him we have the ability to compete for a cup or he’s gone.

Schneider: I think we all looked at him coming back as something of a savior and it absolutely hasn’t happened. We know he already is a bit of a mental midget melting down in “clutch” spots. Four years left on his deal and he hasn’t looked like elite since Brodeur was breathing down his neck. 

Mojo: No, I’m not talking about Johansson, I’m talking about vibes and perception at both the league level and local level. The Devils at the league level could be players for a couple of free agent defensemen. To be able to bring one in without a massive overpay would have to give them proof that we’re conrenders. Choking this away would make us a joke.

For local level, some of you come off incredibly ignorant about the attendance issues and literally have no idea about the culture of the state, playing second fiddle to the rangers in outbursts backyards. Do yourself a favor and don’t bother bringing that up if you want support here. With the rangers in all likelihood missing the playoffs, this is an amazing opportunity to stake the flag back in the ground. Fvcking ranger fans everywhere. Neighbors, coworkers, you name it. It would be sweet as hell to have this over them and put the fear of god into them about the dynasty days coming back. 

Future: make those traded picks worth something. I’ll be fine with a first round loss giving up those picks. Feels like a total strikeout otherwise 

It wouldn't be a catastrophe.  It would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the Devils.  So much of the roster has not played a full NHL season.  

This panic over Hall leaving has started basically in December 2016 and has not stopped since.  Taylor Hall knows more about playing with talented rookies than probably any player in the league.  He was one once, and then he played with RNH and Yakupov and McDavid after him.  He's now playing mostly with  Hischier and Bratt, two very talented rookies.  You don't think he knows that these guys are going to get better?   

This revisionist history about Schneider makes me sick.  Schneider was the only thing that kept this team out of being in the cellar for 2 years.  The Devils' offense was a complete joke.  Their defense was okay but not great.  It was Schneider, every night, keeping the team in games they had no business being in.  It's easy to forget those games because the team sucked and almost no one from that team is still here, but they happened and he was great.  His season has been high and low so far but the aggregate has been average.  I wish it were better, but it isn't.  The hope is that he can be a little better and I think these last two games have given some hope that he can be - he's being beat in weird ways that should be fixable.

The Devils should not get any free agent defensemen besides maybe Calvin De Haan.  Carlson is not very good.  Everything else is must-avoid.

The season has already been a giant success.  This time last year the Devils were playing out the string and we were watching a miserable team.  There's Hischier now.  There's Bratt now.  There's Butcher.  Miles Wood looks much improved.  Even Zacha looks better.   Since the Vatanen trade, the Devils are a 50% territorial team, something they haven't been consistently in 5 years (they were close in 2015-16 for the first half but after dealing Stempniak and replacing the injured Cammalleri with Boucher they cratered).

So yeah, it'll suck if they miss, and losing that 2nd round pick will hurt, but things are looking so much better than last year.  The Devils have a legitimate future #1 center who is under team control for 6 more years.  Bratt looks like a top-line wing to me.  And there's Hall.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It wouldn't be a catastrophe.  It would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the Devils.  So much of the roster has not played a full NHL season.  

This panic over Hall leaving has started basically in December 2016 and has not stopped since.  Taylor Hall knows more about playing with talented rookies than probably any player in the league.  He was one once, and then he played with RNH and Yakupov and McDavid after him.  He's now playing mostly with  Hischier and Bratt, two very talented rookies.  You don't think he knows that these guys are going to get better?   

This revisionist history about Schneider makes me sick.  Schneider was the only thing that kept this team out of being in the cellar for 2 years.  The Devils' offense was a complete joke.  Their defense was okay but not great.  It was Schneider, every night, keeping the team in games they had no business being in.  It's easy to forget those games because the team sucked and almost no one from that team is still here, but they happened and he was great.  His season has been high and low so far but the aggregate has been average.  I wish it were better, but it isn't.  The hope is that he can be a little better and I think these last two games have given some hope that he can be - he's being beat in weird ways that should be fixable.

The Devils should not get any free agent defensemen besides maybe Calvin De Haan.  Carlson is not very good.  Everything else is must-avoid.

The season has already been a giant success.  This time last year the Devils were playing out the string and we were watching a miserable team.  There's Hischier now.  There's Bratt now.  There's Butcher.  Miles Wood looks much improved.  Even Zacha looks better.   Since the Vatanen trade, the Devils are a 50% territorial team, something they haven't been consistently in 5 years (they were close in 2015-16 for the first half but after dealing Stempniak and replacing the injured Cammalleri with Boucher they cratered).

So yeah, it'll suck if they miss, and losing that 2nd round pick will hurt, but things are looking so much better than last year.  The Devils have a legitimate future #1 center who is under team control for 6 more years.  Bratt looks like a top-line wing to me.  And there's Hall.  

We were pretty much in the cellar last year, although we weren’t Buffalo 2015 bad.  Hooray!

The Devils are scoring at the rate of a bona fide playoff team and our goaltenders cannot win games unless the team scores at least three, and more often four goals.  You know, scoring goals, the thing that actually counts, not possession numbers.

Scoring goals at a good pace like that and missing the playoffs would be a giant kick in the balls, not to mention the fact that it would be a complete waste of an MVP caliber season from Hall.  

Schneider doesnt have a ton of mileage all things considered.  It’s just that when the games mean something, he’s completely useless. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

We were pretty much in the cellar last year, although we weren’t Buffalo 2015 bad.  Hooray!

The Devils are scoring at the rate of a bona fide playoff team and our goaltenders cannot win games unless the team scores at least three, and more often four goals.  You know, scoring goals, the thing that actually counts, not possession numbers.

Scoring goals at a good pace like that and missing the playoffs would be a giant kick in the balls, not to mention the fact that it would be a complete waste of an MVP caliber season from Hall.  

Schneider doesnt have a ton of mileage all things considered.  It’s just that when the games mean something, he’s completely useless. 

Once again, this completely ignores reality.  The Devils have scored 71 goals in the new year in 28 games.  That is 2.53 goals/game.  NHL average this year is about 2.87 goals/game.  So no, they're not scoring like a 'bona fide' playoff team.  Thanks to the NHL counting shootout wins as a goal, I can't accurately pin how strong their offense is, but Vancouver, Carolina, and the Blue Jackets all have 166 goals, guessing that they each have 6 shootout wins, that's 2.57 goals/game.  These three teams are tied for 24th in the NHL in offense.  That doesn't sound like a playoff team to me.

Scoring is up around the NHL and the Devils have scored more goals this season even relative to that.  That said, their offense has to score more.  Someone else other than Hall has to do something.  You can't win 2-1 consistently anymore - you have to score 3 goals to have a better than average chance of winning now, I bet teams scoring 2 in regulation have a losing record whereas in previous seasons they would be closer to .500.  

The games all meant something in 2015-16.  The Devils were close to a playoff spot for most of the season, miraculously.  Schneider, injury luck, and a hot 1st line kept a dismal team in the race well after they should've been.

Schneider has to be better.  But he's given up 3 goals in each of his last 4 starts and has lost all of them.  That's an offense that's not helping.

This team goes on streaks, that's what we do. Some guys need to be a little better but they'll string together 4 wins in a row and then we won't see these dumb, emo, panicky threads / posts until our next little skid. The Devils are still more than in a good position for a playoff spot.

• Like 1