You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

16 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

You guys really think Schneider isn't the starter next year? The chance that Schneider isn't starting for us next year is very slim in my opinion, and I don't doubt at all that he'll bounce back. 

I remember when people said a goalie named Martin Brodeur couldn't win the job over starter Chris Terreri. KK has to be feeling confident with every passing game .

49 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

You guys really think Schneider isn't the starter next year? The chance that Schneider isn't starting for us next year is very slim in my opinion, and I don't doubt at all that he'll bounce back. 

If he's still here it could be a circus next year, the way it was Cory's first year here with him and Marty.  It's hard to put a guy with Cory's contract on the bench but if they make the playoffs on KK's back he'll have earned the chance to go into next season as the starter.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If he's still here it could be a circus next year, the way it was Cory's first year here with him and Marty.  It's hard to put a guy with Cory's contract on the bench but if they make the playoffs on KK's back he'll have earned the chance to go into next season as the starter.  

Again, there’s no doubt in my mind Cory can bounce back next year, and if he does he will be the starter. KK is good right now, so keep on playing him, but in the long run, I’m less confident. We’ll see next year, honestly I’m not thinking about mext year at all right now lol. I think a similar situation would be Price in MTL, he’s having an ATROCIOUS year. But I have no doubt he’ll bounce back to top form next year, cause he’s a top goalie. I don’t think a bad year or stretch changes that, and I feel the same with Cory, he can bounce back. We’ll see.

Edited by Devs3cups

5 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Again, there’s no doubt in my mind Cory can bounce back next year, and if he does he will be the starter. KK is good right now, so keep on playing him, but in the long run, I’m less confident. We’ll see next year, honestly I’m not thinking about mext year at all right now lol. I think a similar situation would be Price in MTL, he’s having an ATROCIOUS year. But I have no doubt he’ll bounce back to top form next year, cause he’s a top goalie. I don’t think a bad year or stretch changes that, and I feel the same with Cory, he can bounce back. We’ll see.

Well Price has had one bad year, Cory two.  Plus the Habs are rebuilding at this point anyway while we have to play more for win now.  And if KK's ever going to be a long-term starter might as well find out next year while he's still cheap.

Cory was good in a structured system where he doesn't have to move, the system he was traded to - and the one we ran the first year of the new regime cause we didn't have the horses to go up-tempo but he's just not been that good since we've gone with more of the fast, attacking, supportive plan.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, Devs3cups said:

at 10.5m a year. You're damn right Price has to bounce back lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Steven M. said:

lol if Cory gives up the two goals Keith gave up in the third he is getting fvcking torched on this board. Absolutely no doubt about it.

at this point I really don't give a fvck who starts as long as they win so, hey, whatever works.

The difference is Cory also gives up the 4th goal and we lose in regulation. Keith doesn't.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hit the post said:

I remember when people said a goalie named Martin Brodeur couldn't win the job over starter Chris Terreri. KK has to be feeling confident with every passing game .

No one was saying that.  The feeling was that the Devils had gone as far as they could possibly go with Terreri as their #1 (though he was popular with fans) and that three years after being drafted in the first round, Marty was ready to play with the big club.  Everything that year went completely according to plan.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one was saying that.  The feeling was that the Devils had gone as far as they could possibly go with Terreri as their #1 (though he was popular with fans) and that three years after being drafted in the first round, Marty was ready to play with the big club.  Everything that year went completely according to plan.  

Right. I think Terreri taking Burke’s job was more of a shock than Marty taking Terreri’s. At least I remember feeling that way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right. I think Terreri taking Burke’s job was more of a shock than Marty taking Terreri’s. At least I remember feeling that way. 

Yes, the Devils gave Burke at lot of chances at Terreri's expense, but in the end Terreri simply kept outplaying him.  That added to Terreri's popularity...more and more Burke came off like an entitled ass (who infamously once told Devils fans who were booing him to go to hell), while Terreri was kind of like the little underdog engine that could.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

From what I've read it was not in the plan for Marty to play that year lol, he only got pushed up a year early cause the immortal Peter Sidorkowicz got hurt in camp.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

From what I've read it was not in the plan for Marty to play that year lol, he only got pushed up a year early cause the immortal Peter Sidorkowicz got hurt in camp.

It's obviously going back a ways, but I don't really remember Sidorkiewicz being brought in as anything more than insurance...his career was pretty much on life support at that time...he had a combined .867 save% for the previous four seasons (though in the last of those he got #1 minutes for a dreadful Ottawa team).  Billington and Mallette were dealt for him, in what seemed like a bit of a "What the hell" kind of deal at the time, in that two low-rung goalies were moved for each other.  I remember Marty (according to his book) not really expecting to be in Utica for much more than the lone season he spent there...I got the impression that he was a little bummed that he had to go there after getting a taste of NHL action in 1991-92, but Lou had told him the plan for 1992-93 was for him the spend the whole season in the AHL.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

27 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean I feel bad piling on the guy cause he obviously was trying but geez even a handful more points out of that eleven game stretch and the Devils would be in GREAT position now.

If he went 1-7-3 instead of 0-9-2, that would change so much right now.

Kinkaid has done a marvelous job pulling this season out of the fire after Schneider choked it away. I don't think any of us ever thought KK was capable of this.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, '7' said:

If he went 1-7-3 instead of 0-9-2, that would change so much right now.

Kinkaid has done a marvelous job pulling this season out of the fire after Schneider choked it away. I don't think any of us ever thought KK was capable of this.

He's shown flashes within games of making big saves since he came up  (think his 1st save was on a nice breakaway by stamkos).  The only thing that was lacking, esp during his slump was consistency.  Always knew he was good, and could play well if he fixed that issue... seems like he has, and is playing well.   Also i think he can see this is his chance to earn a starters role in the future, and more $$, so imo that helped to up his game.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's also interesting that the Devils have drafted at least one goalie every year since Shero has been here.  I doubt he was planning for the bottom to fall out on Schneider so soon, but perhaps part of the long term vision is to find adequate goaltending on the cheap.