You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Schneider might not make another start the rest of the season, unless the game in Washington is meaningless.

That's how far Schneider has fallen.

If he plays again this season, he may fall even further.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

Cory will play again this season. 

Only if the Devils are eliminated or clinch a spot before game #82.  They don't have much travel with only one back to back left and Montreal or not you can't risk letting the season die with a guy that hasn't won or allowed less than three goals in a game since 2017.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's also interesting that the Devils have drafted at least one goalie every year since Shero has been here.  I doubt he was planning for the bottom to fall out on Schneider so soon, but perhaps part of the long term vision is to find adequate goaltending on the cheap. 

Given this season, one wouldn't think we'd go into next season with the same tandem of goaltenders but that may indeed happen given Cory's contract and that it's a bit too soon to count him out. That said, we might very well be drafting a goaltender again.

If we don't go with the current tandem next season there certainly is a list of talent around the league we could take a look at:

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/hockey-rankings/top-50-fantasy-prospect-goaltenders-fall-2017/

I wonder what it would take to get a Malcolm Subban-type. Tristan Jarry has had some moments of brilliance this season, the Rangers have a surplus of goaltender talent with Georgiev surprising (they have three goalies not named Georgiev who are all celebrated prospects) etc..

If at any point we have a 7 point lead on the Panthers, I might let Cory have a start. 

If KK falls apart, obviously you can try Cory again as well. We’re all assuming KK gives us the best chance of winning, but if he has 2-3 abysmal games in a row, but somehow we’re still competing for a playoff spot, do you keep running him out there?

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think Cory is done after thinking about it.

The guy's never been known as a "clutch" player (that's a different discussion) but to expect a guy who was already struggling before getting hurt to step in cold and play elite hockey in what are essentially playoff games is a pretty tall task.

I think with a full offseason to clear his head and get his rhythm back he'll be in a fight to be our #1 again next year.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honestly, I don't think Cory is done after thinking about it.

The guy's never been known as a "clutch" player (that's a different discussion) but to expect a guy who was already struggling before getting hurt to step in cold and play elite hockey in what are essentially playoff games is a pretty tall task.

I think with a full offseason to clear his head and get his rhythm back he'll be in a fight to be our #1 again next year.

Nobody expected elite hockey before or after the injury. But we were expecting something better than the current season destroying chokefest that he put up.

Forget about being a #1, he needs to figure out how to win a game in 2018. This is a death spiral.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, '7' said:

Nobody expected elite hockey before or after the injury. But we were expecting something better than the current season destroying chokefest that he put up.

Forget about being a #1, he needs to figure out how to win a game in 2018. This is a death spiral.

He's suffered through a hideous slump, and sometimes players of ALL levels can inexplicably go through something like this.  But that doesn't equate to the guy being a gutless choker, and unfortunately I think that link is drawn far more often than it should be. 

I don't think the Devils will move on from him. He'll get a chance next training camp, and I can't say he doesn't deserve one...but I would cut ties with him and trade him for another similar bad contract. Turn my attention to Antti Raanta. Bring him in to be a 50 game starter while Kinkaid gets 32. That would give us above average goaltending for next season.

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

they had better back up the truck for johnny, or that arena will be DOA:evil:

They'll offer him as much as they possibly can. 

Will be very interesting to see if he stays.  I think it's 50-50.  I'm sure they'll make him a boatload of promises about how they'll do whatever it takes to improve, how they want to have a good team by the time they go into their new building, etc.  I still have this feeling that the Shero might kick the tires on him (not saying that they'll get him, just that they're not going to completely sit this one out...I'll go so far as to say they're near dark horse-territory.  But in the end, he either stays with the Isles or goes somewhere else). 

55 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They'll offer him as much as they possibly can. 

Will be very interesting to see if he stays.  I think it's 50-50.  I'm sure they'll make him a boatload of promises about how they'll do whatever it takes to improve, how they want to have a good team by the time they go into their new building, etc.  I still have this feeling that the Shero might kick the tires on him (not saying that they'll get him, just that they're not going to completely sit this one out...I'll go so far as to say they're near dark horse-territory.  But in the end, he either stays with the Isles or goes somewhere else). 

I've heard many experts saying the Devils were in the hunt for JT. JT wouldn't have to move far away, still in the NY area, would come to a young, fast and upcoming team that is in better position than the Isles for sure. We instantly become a really dangerous team with Tavares. Could you imagine our Top 6 with him? Just thinking about it gives me fvcking shivers. We've seen Shero pull some of those moves before. He'll at least try that's for sure.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I've heard many experts saying the Devils were in the hunt for JT. JT wouldn't have to move far away, still in the NY area, would come to a young, fast and upcoming team that is in better position than the Isles for sure. We instantly become a really dangerous team with Tavares. Could you imagine our Top 6 with him? Just thinking about it gives me fvcking shivers. We've seen Shero pull some of those moves before. He'll at least try that's for sure.

Obviously, he's got to WANT to come here first...obviously only one guy knows if he really does.

But assuming that he'd be interested...there's still some hurdles.  Hall will be due to a max-type contract as well in a couple of years if he keeps playing like this...suddenly you'll have two of those on the books...which means you'll need some relative bargains somewhere else.  Shero will have to find some fairly young and cheap defensemen...he'll have to get creative in finding one (to his credit, though Vatanen isn't cheap, Shero did a fine job finding a good defensemen at a very reasonable cost).  A young goalie who won't be due a ton of money would be nice too (though if Schneider can regain his form, his cap hit is not really an issue). 

Not saying that Shero will be dead-set against having two huge deals on his books, but it could hinder his flexibility going forward...and he's done a great job in giving himself a lot of that (mostly by avoiding bad UFA contracts).  But I'm with you, the idea of Tavares, Hall, Nico and Palms in the Devils' Top 6 definitely gives one shivers.  That's a hell of a group, and that doesn't even include the guys lying in the weeds (like Bratt, etc).  You can also deal off a guy like McLeod as part of a package for a right-now type piece (either in the offseason or next year's deadline).  But that's getting ahead of ourselves. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously, he's got to WANT to come here first...obviously only one guy knows if he really does.

But assuming that he'd be interested...there's still some hurdles.  Hall will be due to a max-type contract as well in a couple of years if he keeps playing like this...suddenly you'll have two of those on the books...which means you'll need some relative bargains somewhere else.  Shero will have to find some fairly young and cheap defensemen...he'll have to get creative in finding one (to his credit, though Vatanen isn't cheap, Shero did a fine job finding a good defensemen at a very reasonable cost).  A young goalie who won't be due a ton of money would be nice too (though if Schneider can regain his form, his cap hit is not really an issue). 

Not saying that Shero will be dead-set against having two huge deals on his books, but it could hinder his flexibility going forward...and he's done a great job in giving himself a lot of that (mostly by avoiding bad UFA contracts).  But I'm with you, the idea of Tavares, Hall, Nico and Palms in the Devils' Top 6 definitely gives one shivers.  That's a hell of a group, and that doesn't even include the guys lying in the weeds (like Bratt, etc).  You can also deal off a guy like McLeod as part of a package for a right-now type piece (either in the offseason or next year's deadline).  But that's getting ahead of ourselves. 

Oh yeah for sure. If signing Tavares means that we highly run the risk of losing Hall because of money issues, I don't do it. And yeah Nico will have to get (and will get) a long-term deal too in 2 years, at the same time as Hall, which shouldn't be a problem. So I don't think it's impossible when looking at our cap, but I definitely choose Hall over JT. I mean, it's a long shot, but Shero has managed a few HUGE cap hits with the Pens, so it's not impossible he goes for it. If he does manage to get him, it's because he's gonna have thought it through in order to not hurt the future of the team. Not betting on it happening though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But I'm with you, the idea of Tavares, Hall, Nico and Palms in the Devils' Top 6 definitely gives one shivers.  That's a hell of a group, and that doesn't even include the guys lying in the weeds (like Bratt, etc).  You can also deal off a guy like McLeod as part of a package for a right-now type piece (either in the offseason or next year's deadline).  But that's getting ahead of ourselves. 

1. Sign JT.

2. Package McLeod++ for Karlsson.

3. Plan the parades.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

For some reason I doubt he'll come to either Rag$ or us.  No to Canada (tax reasons)? There might be strong consideration to do what Stamkos did. Tax free Fla. He could join Cats another young up and coming team.  I think he's going to stay put.

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

1. Sign JT.

2. Package McLeod++ for Karlsson.

3. Plan the parades.

1.  I'm all for it

2.  The "++" will be a lot.  I'm not sure how high McLeod's value is, but he simply becomes expendable by virtue of JT and Nico being here for what should be quite some time.  But Karlsson is going to cost a bundle...not to mention you're now looking at potentially three huge contracts on your books, if you have any hope of keeping Hall in the fold as well. 

3.  Goaltending could be an issue.  Would be an absurd amount of talent on the Devils though. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

1.  I'm all for it

2.  The "++" will be a lot.  I'm not sure how high McLeod's value is, but he simply becomes expendable by virtue of JT and Nico being here for what should be quite some time.  But Karlsson is going to cost a bundle...not to mention you're now looking at potentially three huge contracts on your books, if you have any hope of keeping Hall in the fold as well. 

3.  Goaltending could be an issue.  Would be an absurd amount of talent on the Devils though. 

Regarding #3, that kind of lineup could probably support an average to average plus goalie. Just saying. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

1.  I'm all for it

The issue is Karlsson isn't signed long term...so the ++ is going to matter a lot. He might be the type of guy that will walk to FA if the team falls short of expectations.

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The issue is Karlsson isn't signed long term...so the ++ is going to matter a lot. He might be the type of guy that will walk to FA if the team falls short of expectations.

That's factored into my #2...with what you're going to give up in assets to get him, you pretty much HAVE to re-sign him long-term, and it will cost a lot (and be risky)...it's like I said, you're pretty much looking at three hugely expensive long-term deals, unless you're completely willing to just let Hall walk in two years, or just want a single season of EK.  It's really hard to imagine a scenario where all three would be here on big contracts.  As much as it will be exciting in one way, man we'll be lamenting having some trouble filling holes elsewhere due to cap constraints. 

As far as EK goes, I'd much rather just wait for him to go UFA, and then maybe jump into the pool then.  Or maybe get him for less than expected at next year's deadline (if Ottawa is struggling to move him and getting desperate to get something back), if the Devils are playing like a legit SC contender. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sidney, Geno and Tang did pretty good in Pittsburgh