You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Can we admit people were pretty much overreacting with him? Slumps happen. Happy he found his groove. And whatever happens next game, he's clearly back.

I do wonder if he wasn't anywhere near 100% healthy when he came back and all that extra rest he got when Keith was playing got him closer to being healthy like he was at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Devs3cups said:

Can we admit people were pretty much overreacting with him? Slumps happen. Happy he found his groove. And whatever happens next game, he's clearly back.

Nah, he deserved the reactions. He was dreadful for way too many games, and it almost cost the playoffs. 4 or 5 game slumps are one thing but he went winless for like a dozen. Hopefully that’s all behind us now though. He looks like he did when he was lights out in October again. 

Eh it's nice he finally stopped allowing 3+ a game but that first period was scary bad.  Glad he picked it up in the last two but it'd be nice if he didn't only play his best hockey when the team was behind.  Even Game 3 the team was behind much of the night when he played well.

And 2018 was more than a 'slump'...twelve freaking games in a row allowing 3+ goals is putrid by any standard.  Even crappy goalies on bad teams by accident can manage one good game out of twelve.  I still go back to the fact that one guy has one win all of 2018, the other guy was 16-3-1 from early February on with the same team.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Eh it's nice he finally stopped allowing 3+ a game but that first period was scary bad.  Glad he picked it up in the last two but it'd be nice if he didn't only play his best hockey when the team was behind.

Scary bad? What goal do you pin on him? First goal was a perfect shot by Miller and the second was Kucherov point blank after a sh!t play by Severson. And please don't say the disallowed goal.

He sure played great when the team was in front yesterday. Seems like you just don't like him.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Scary bad? What goal do you pin on him? And please don't say the disallowed goal. 

Why not, it's not like it didn't happen just because it didn't count after the fact.  And the shortside goal was pretty iffy as well, but par for the course.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Why not, it's not like it didn't happen just because it didn't count after the fact.  And the shortside goal was pretty iffy as well, but par for the course.

Let's agree to disagree, I feel he played a good game. And he was good too in game 3. Bottom line, he gave the team a chance to win tonight with 35 saves. 

What did you think of KK's performances in games 1 and 2?

Edited by Devs3cups

11 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Scary bad? What goal do you pin on him? First goal was a perfect shot by Miller and the second was Kucherov point blank after a sh!t play by Severson. And please don't say the disallowed goal.

He sure played great when the team was in front yesterday. Seems like you just don't like him.

What, for the seven lousy minutes they were in front?  They dominated the period, he had maybe a handful of stops after that at best.  I'm just sick of always going the moral victory route with Cory when he gives up a killer goal THEN starts playing well and it's 'oh he held the team in there!'. Yeah okay, I've seen this script too many times before - do it when the team's in front or tied, then you'll have more than one win in fourteen games.

In fact the Lightning had exactly two shots on goal in the third period Monday from the Noesen goal on.  It's not a matter of not liking Cory, seems like a good dude, I want him to do well but the excuse-making and rationalizations for him get old.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What, for the seven lousy minutes they were in front?  They dominated the period, he had maybe a handful of stops after that at best.  I'm just sick of always going the moral victory route with Cory when he gives up a killer goal THEN starts playing well and it's 'oh he held the team in there!'. Yeah okay, I've seen this script too many times before - do it when the team's in front or tied, then you'll have more than one win in fourteen games.

Fait enough, I mean I won't look at it this way, it is what it is. I think it all comes down to what your expectations are. I feel Cory, allowing 4 goals in 2 games and around 80 shots, to possibly the best offense in the league is him doing his job. NJ scored 1 goal and were blanked for the following 52 minutes, that's the story. If you wanna analyze it by goals given up when the team is leading or tied or whatever, that's fine. But I don't think he played even close to bad in games 3 and 4, in fact he was pretty great and he gave us a chance to win in both. 

Edited by Devs3cups

All the preceding discussion about CS in game 4 has valid points.  Bottom line:  CS gave us a chance to win, and we did not.  We simply lost to a better team that executed its game plan.  Just realize, we are still a work in progress, having faced down one of the best offenses in the league, killing all penalties and still creating some very good scoring chances.  We have some way to go, but it is still way better than what Shero was left with, very little.  There is a light up ahead; let us continue to reach for it!

• Like 1

Agree with all the prior discussion as well - Cory played pretty well and did his part to keep us in it.  All the previous criticisms are/were still valid though too - that stretch of 12 games he had were as bad as it gets, but that's in the past.  He's playing better now, and if he plays like he did yesterday and in Game 3, we should still have a chance to get another win on Saturday.  

On 3/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Devils Pride 26 said:

Come on. This board has gotten ridiculously soft. This isn’t a troll job. It’s discussion. 

For everyone that has a problem with the complaining, what the hell else do you want to talk about? What do you expect? This is a Devils message board and they are in the process of a catastrophic meltdown that will do significant damage to the mental health of the franchise moving forward. 

i’m not so sure there’s a catastrophic meltdown going on. Maybe Schneider have something going on, maybe he doesn’t. I thought you played very well last night. He wasn’t the issue, they completely shut down our offense. For all the talk about our forward depth, nobody got anything accomplished last night and they failed to pick up Corey a night where he only gave up two . 

I can’t argue that his previous nine starts we’re a good effort. But he kept them in that game last night, and they could not get it done on the other end.But he kept them in that game last night, and they could not get it done on the other end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

i’m not so sure there’s a catastrophic meltdown going on. Maybe Schneider have something going on, maybe he doesn’t. I thought you played very well last night. He wasn’t the issue, they completely shut down our offense. For all the talk about our forward depth, nobody got anything accomplished last night and they failed to pick up Corey a night where he only gave up two . 

I can’t argue that his previous nine starts we’re a good effort. But he kept them in that game last night, and they could not get it done on the other end.But he kept them in that game last night, and they could not get it done on the other end.

The catastrophic meltdown was directed at the team blowing the 9 point lead, not Schneider exclusively. Last night I agree, h did a good job. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

True. Seems like a fun exercise:

If Taylor and Nico both have 50 goals and 100 points next year, and Palmieri has 30 and 70, we will have a very solid top line. 

Hahaha, although they are ''ifs'' I feel the chances of Cory being Cory again next year are way higher and way more probable than Keith being stellar like he's been continually. 

Edited by Devs3cups

16 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Hahaha, although they are ''ifs'' I feel the chances of Cory being Cory again next year are way higher and way more probable than Keith being stellar like he's been continually. 

What are the chances of KK scoring some more Chipotle related tail?

I know the overwhelming opinion is that Cory's job is safe going into next season, but I'm not so sure. He seems to not handle big time situations all that well, and I wonder how he'll respond with there being a legitimate goaltending question going into next season. Even if he gets the assurance that the job is his, everyone knows he'll be on a much shorter leash, and a few bad games the net will be up for grabs. 

I would've stuck with Kinkaid for game 3, but obviously we got everything we needed out of Cory the last two games and am not questioning the call at all. 

13 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I know the overwhelming opinion is that Cory's job is safe going into next season, but I'm not so sure.

Ah, I don't know about that. But I certainly think it's his to lose, which to me is very different.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I know the overwhelming opinion is that Cory's job is safe going into next season, but I'm not so sure. He seems to not handle big time situations all that well, and I wonder how he'll respond with there being a legitimate goaltending question going into next season. Even if he gets the assurance that the job is his, everyone knows he'll be on a much shorter leash, and a few bad games the net will be up for grabs. 

I would've stuck with Kinkaid for game 3, but obviously we got everything we needed out of Cory the last two games and am not questioning the call at all. 

He will have to prove to the coaching staff that this is not the case.  That could prove difficult; he was never the #1 in VAN, Luongo was, as he should have been.  But a good start in game 5, giving us a real chance to win in this elimination game, will help.

Edited by aclc79