You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

On 4/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Those seem like ginormous “ifs”

I should clarify. I meant if Cory can keep himself on the level he was on before his collapse, and Keith can land somewhere between where he started the season and where he ended the season. I don't expect Kinkaid to suddenly be a .933 goalie or anything. 

11 hours ago, Marshall said:

Ah, I don't know about that. But I certainly think it's his to lose, which to me is very different.

Agree with the above and am going to expand on it.

I'd say their roles are a little less defined now, the way the season unfolded.  From now on I think it's Cory's job to lose (due to track record and money)...but if he has 2-3 rough games next year, and KK has a good one, I don't think Cory gets right back in there nearly as easily as he would have previously.  If Cory hits a little slump, KK will get a chance to roll now...and that means Cory might have to wait several days or even weeks to get the majority of the playing time again.  The gap has narrowed. 

• Like 3

On 4/20/2018 at 1:44 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with the above and am going to expand on it.

I'd say their roles are a little less defined now, the way the season unfolded.  From now on I think it's Cory's job to lose (due to track record and money)...but if he has 2-3 rough games next year, and KK has a good one, I don't think Cory gets right back in there nearly as easily as he would have previously.  If Cory hits a little slump, KK will get a chance to roll now...and that means Cory might have to wait several days or even weeks to get the majority of the playing time again.  The gap has narrowed. 

He certainly did not hurt his chances due to his play in the TB series.

Cory earned the net back and it isn't even a question, imo. What Kinkaid did in the last month and half in the season can not be overlooked. He got the job done, when a combination of Appleby, Lack and Schneider could not. In fact, I would not be shocked if he garnered a few Vezina votes. There is just one simple fact that can't be overlooked: he is Keith Kinkaid. 20+ games of hot play does not erase several seasons of average and inconsistent play. I, and I'm sure many fans, will be eternally grateful that he played such a major role in getting us back into the postseason, but he is what he is. The results were there but there were so many instances when the other team would miss empty nets, pucks would just squirt wide when hitting him or he was out of position and the puck just hit him. He gets credit for making these saves, but I think his play was certainly worse than the numbers indicate.

Aside from the obvious, the best part about this playoff series is that Schneider got a win and stringed together three and a half marvelous games in high leverage situations. It was only a couple of months ago when he carried us in the first half of the season. Yes, he had a couple of rough outings before his injury but when you get hurt and play inconsistently, how the hell do you get into a rhythm? If Schneider can stay healthy, which is easier said than done lately, he is still an above average goalie. You can not say the same about Kinkaid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aclc79 said:

He certainly did not hurt his chances due to his play in the TB series.

He certainly got his starters' job back, unfortunately he still hasn't rid himself of the black cloud over his head as a Devil.  OF COURSE when he finally plays well the offense goes back in the tank.  It just seems as if it's never going to work out for him here - when he plays well the team doesn't score, and when he doesn't then the team scores enough for him to still lose one-goal games.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He certainly got his starters' job back, unfortunately he still hasn't rid himself of the black cloud over his head as a Devil.  OF COURSE when he finally plays well the offense goes back in the tank.  It just seems as if it's never going to work out for him here - when he plays well the team doesn't score, and when he doesn't then the team scores enough for him to still lose one-goal games.  

We will see come training camp and the start of next season.  By the the end of October, who the #1 is should be evident.  The team will need to see who is the man.

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Almost a year later, come to find out we had a 3A/3B situation. 😪

Incorrect. Clearly there are both number two. 

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If you knocked up your wife or girlfriend on the night Cory last won a regular season game, you’d have a five month old. 

And if you knocked up your girlftiend, your wife would be totally pissed. 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Can we repurpose this thread to talk about how Cory's not letting us rebuild properly? :lol: 

.934 over last 8 games, 4 wins in last 5.

Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel
Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine
Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko

Players that Cory's elite but untimely goaltending have kept us out of the running for. Let that sink in.  And to be clear, I'm not blaming the ginger. I'm blaming Lou.

But anyway - it sure appears that he's back to form.  He's looked great out there.

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can we repurpose this thread to talk about how Cory's not letting us rebuild properly? :lol: 

.934 over last 8 games, 4 wins in last 5.

Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel
Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine
Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko

Players that Cory's elite but untimely goaltending have kept us out of the running for. Let that sink in.  And to be clear, I'm not blaming the ginger. I'm blaming Lou.

But anyway - it sure appears that he's back to form.  He's looked great out there.

This is absurd.  On balance, Schneider's play this season is still bad and has still cost the Devils wins relative to an average goalie.