You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And a Conn Smythe.

Cam was /is a top goalie who went off the rails a few years.. to some extent, luongo, Miller, and fluery went into slumps.. not making excuses,  we need to fix this situation if cory is going to suck for an extended period.. I don't feel like waiting.. we need to get a 1b..

• Like 2

I just finished the game cause I was busy yesterday, I'm so frustrated. I don't give a fvck who is in net, we just need to fvcking making the playoffs. This sh!t is getting ridiculous. Cory is not this fvcking bad, 11 god damn fvcking games in a row. MAN THE fvck UP AND STEAL A GAME.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe Anti Raanta? First name that came to mind.

I think in a way, KK is now auditioning to show that he can be that 1B-type next season.  With the way Cory's played, I don't think the Devils have much choice but to start him for at least seven of the remaining games.  If he continues to play well (and get some luck), and finishes his last 19 or so games with a .930-ish save%, I could understand why Shero might think "OK, looks like we might have an in-house solution after all."  Would I necessary feel completely safe with that?  No.  But KK's under team control next season at very reasonable dollars.  I could see Shero rolling with his current two-some for one more year, IF (big if) KK doesn't fall apart down the stretch. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think in a way, KK is now auditioning to show that he can be that 1B-type next season.  With the way Cory's played, I don't think the Devils have much choice but to start him for at least seven of the remaining games.  If he continues to play well (and get some luck), and finishes his last 19 or so games with a .930-ish save%, I could understand why Shero might think "OK, looks like we might have an in-house solution after all."  Would I necessary feel completely safe with that?  No.  But KK's under team control next season at very reasonable dollars.  I could see Shero rolling with his current two-some for one more year, IF (big if) KK doesn't fall apart down the stretch. 

I think you give Cory the rest of the season off.  Start KK, Lack can get the 2nd of back-to-backs if need be.

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I think you give Cory the rest of the season off.  Start KK, Lack can get the 2nd of back-to-backs if need be.

I would think about giving Cory the start against the Canadiens (who truly have quit), but I definitely can't argue against sitting him the rest of the season.  The guy I saw that got lucky on the backhand post shot and who looked like he didn't know what to do on Goal #4 looked like a guy who's just completely defeated. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

.921, .925, .924, .908, .909. 

Those are the save percentage so far Schneider since he got here. There were warning signs here last year that’s we stuck our head in the sand about them. I’ll Steve Bannon myself a bit here because thins was pointed out towards the end of last year. Sure enough, he didn’t bounce back as it was assumed. 

Its all over for him. Show me a list of goalies that played .920%, dropped off for two seasons, then returned to prominence. At 32. That’s without getting into all the psychological bullsh!t. 

Rinne is one guy who did, for sure.  There's others who have slumped some and come back, Luongo this year is an example.  Schneider is probably done being a top goalie, but it's not a sure thing.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would think about giving Cory the start against the Canadiens (who truly have quit), but I definitely can't argue against sitting him the rest of the season.  The guy I saw that got lucky on the backhand post shot and who looked like he didn't know what to do on Goal #4 looked like a guy who's just completely defeated. 

OTOH the Habs game MUST be 2 points. Can’t afford to drop the easiest game remaining on the schedule. Cory has really put Hynes in a bad spot. If it was me I’d ride KK the rest of the way. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Its so goddamn bizarre considering how well he played when we were absolute dogsh!t. Now that we have success, its as if he's throwing insane amounts of pressure on himself and he's faltering. He has the skill set, but man the mental toughness is non-existent right now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

.921, .925, .924, .908, .909. 

Those are the save percentage so far Schneider since he got here. There were warning signs here last year that’s we stuck our head in the sand about them. I’ll Steve Bannon myself a bit here because thins was pointed out towards the end of last year. Sure enough, he didn’t bounce back as it was assumed. 

Its all over for him. Show me a list of goalies that played .920%, dropped off for two seasons, then returned to prominence. At 32. That’s without getting into all the psychological bullsh!t. 

This is flawed because you weren't saying this when Cory was well into the .920s before this crash-and-burn...at that point, it looked like he was having a bounceback season.  It's not like this was a consistent meh season (last year was closer to that).

This being said, everyone is deeply concerned about this 11-game bottoming out, and I can understand why.  That game against SJ was every bad word you can think of.

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

OTOH the Habs game MUST be 2 points. Can’t afford to drop the easiest game remaining on the schedule. Cory has really put Hynes in a bad spot. If it was me I’d ride KK the rest of the way. 

Agree about the two points, and as far as that goes, I would tell KK to be ready, that you may be going into this one very early.  As in when Cory gives up his first goal. 

• Like 2

Am I crazy, or do you actually lean towards putting Schneider in on Friday?  Almost to silently say: "I don't care that we gave up 6 goals last game, and you lost your 11th in a row. Go. fvcking. WIN"?

Basically, throw him to the wolves and force him to win.  At this point, I almost feel as if it's gotten so bad, and we're all done being amazed and feeling sorry based on the piss poor stats and performances, that you have to put the guy out there and either let him commit career suicide by losing, or give him the chance to bounce back and win a game when basically no one on the planet thinks he can.  Sort of a forced confidence type of thing.  

Plus, we have a back to back coming up, and although at this point we all believe KK is the better goalie and you could justifiably start him in both since there's so few games left and we need as many wins as possible, you still feel, from both the coach's perspective and the fan's perspective, that it might be appropriate to give one game to your backup, err, other, goalie. 

Or....maybe I'm losing my mind and that's a stupid idea.  I don't know.

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It's a good idea in theory, but then you either have to be short a player to carry 3 goalies, or send a $6 million dollar goalie to the AHL, neither of which sound like something they would do. 

7 hours ago, aclc79 said:

What is going on inside his head?  So much of the game for goaltenders is mental.

Quite possible something is going on in his personal life. Just an unlucky distraction away from the game that timed well with his injury. I am not really one to hardcore hate on players anyway, but another reason I avoid it is because of this. We could find out something like what was going on with Cammy while he was here and then people would feel kind of sh!tty.

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Quite possible something is going on in his personal life. Just an unlucky distraction away from the game that timed well with his injury. I am not really one to hardcore hate on players anyway, but another reason I avoid it is because of this. We could find out something like what was going on with Cammy while he was here and then people would feel kind of sh!tty.

Someone else mentioned it previously and I agree with them that we would have found out by now. We found out Boyle had cancer pretty quickly, they said Cammalleri had personal reasons to miss a few games before we actually found out his kid was sick.

I feel like they would absolutely make a statement, even if it was vague if something was going on with him that was off the ice (unless he hasn't told anyone but that ends up being just wild speculation) 

Edited by Satans Hockey

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's a good idea in theory, but then you either have to be short a player to carry 3 goalies, or send a $6 million dollar goalie to the AHL, neither of which sound like something they would do. 

If it looks like a duck and quacks like one...

I think Cory starting for Bing to finish out the season is better for his confidence than riding the pine after one stupid rehab game that obviously did fvck all for him.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone else mentioned it previously and I agree with them that we would have found out by now. We found out Boyle had cancer pretty quickly, they said Cammalleri had personal reasons to miss a few games before we actually found out his kid was sick.

I feel like they would absolutely make a statement, even if it was vague if something was going on with him that was off the ice (unless he hasn't told anyone but that ends up being just wild speculation) 

If, hypothetically, he was having problems with the Mrs I wouldn't expect to hear about it until they made an official move. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

If, hypothetically, he was having problems with the Mrs I wouldn't expect to hear about it until they made an official move. 

That's true but making wild speculation about a guy's personal life is not something I want to do, especially since he has just had a kid.

I really think he's just in a funk and just needs to get a win no matter how it happens to get over this hump.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Rinne is one guy who did, for sure.  There's others who have slumped some and come back, Luongo this year is an example.  Schneider is probably done being a top goalie, but it's not a sure thing.

Ryan miller does it every 5 years.. weird!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's true but making wild speculation about a guy's personal life is not something I want to do, especially since he has just had a kid.

I really think he's just in a funk and just needs to get a win no matter how it happens to get over this hump.

I understand. I'm not speculating so much as offering an alternative possibility. IDK more than anyone else, obviously.

• Like 1

If you have an Athletic sub, Cat Silverman did a great piece of Schneider's struggles and what he's actually doing technically wrong in the net right now. Also mentions there should be hope the Vezina candidate we used to see can still return:

https://theathletic.com/284084/2018/03/22/behind-the-save-its-poor-timing-for-a-cory-schneider-slump-but-expect-a-bounce-back-soon-enough/