You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

47 minutes ago, Triumph said:

$8 per?!  The salary cap is at $80 million next year.  To be clear by way of example, the Devils paid Rolston $5M on a $56M cap.  Tavares here would cost at least $10M and then you'd have to pay Hall that, but that would be something Shero should do gladly.  There are not many star players and Hischier and Bratt are on ELCs.  It would mean going for the Stanley Cup next season.  The Devils' cup window gets awfully tricky after 2020.

Damn, you’re right about that. For some reason my head is stuck in 2010 in terms of cap and salaries. 

Can you elaborate on the window getting tricky in 2020? Is that with or without an outside contract? 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I knew Zach wasn’t coming back when he signed that one year deal coming off his injury. He knew that was the wrong time to go FA so he used use to showcase himself for another year.

He had no intention of signing long term. 

This isn’t true.  He was actually about to agree to a long term extension in 2011, like seven years, but his agent (wisely) convinced him to take only the one year deal.  In 2012, the Devils gave a very competitive offer that he considered, but ultimately Minnesota gave him a lot more money than anyone else could, plus he’s from there and he’d be going with Suter.  Whatever the case, he was being honest when he said the Devils were a real option right up until the end.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 7:24 PM, HellOnICE said:

Cory will play again this season. 

A tough start for him in WAS, which had our number this year.  What a bad turnover fest in front of him, considering all the scrubs and new line combinations.  I know we posting in these forums have been hard on him, but he was never given any chance to succeed.  I suppose he did his best, especially considering Ovi was on the warpath.  Our playoff G starter is clear. 

33 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

A tough start for him in WAS, which had our number this year.  What a bad turnover fest in front of him, considering all the scrubs and new line combinations.  I know we posting in these forums have been hard on him, but he was never given any chance to succeed.  I suppose he did his best, especially considering Ovi was on the warpath.  Our playoff G starter is clear. 

They played the caps 4 times this year...   3 of those times cory started.  In 2 games he gave up 5, and in one game gave up 4.....lost all 3.    Kk played them once, gave up 3.... won.

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to stick the knife in but so did Zach with us before he left.  If JT was such a given to be back he'd be back.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not saying it won't happen, but these guys rarely burn bridges.  Looks like he's at least going to test the market first.

Zach didn't do that...he basically didn't comment on it much (but everyone picked part everything he said throughout the season, as he had to deal with repeated inquiries via the press), and then eventually said something to the effect of "You can keep asking, but my (non)-answer isn't going to be any different."  When the team got back to NJ after the 2012 SCF, fans saw him get off the bus and asked if he planned on staying, to which he supposedly replied "Don't worry about it."  For some reason some fans interpreted that as binding.

Yeah, Zach didn't really give much indictation one way or another. It was also different with him because I think there was a limit past which Lou was not willing to go contract wise. 

As far as testing the market goes, yeah, I guess I'd bet money he's going to July 1st. Teams will at least be able to pitch him and I'd have to imagine a strong pitch would be "Come play with Taylor Hall." But I really don't think he would have said the things he has if his plans aren't to at least try to work something out with the Islanders. 

For the record he said, 

He's negotiating through the press but it seems like he wants to be back. Of course, that could all change come the summer. 

Edited by Neb00rs

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Does Cory get the start now on Monday? 

Unfortunately probably...I'm not exactly expecting anything different then than we've gotten from Cory for most of the last two seasons.  Coming in at 5-1 was the ultimate mopup situation and not indiciative of what he'll do Monday when the spotlight's back on him in a big game.  

Of course if he does actually put up a good performance and (gasp!) win on Monday he can get a lot of goodwill back in one fell swoop.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2