Keith Kinkaid Appreciation Thread.

Neb00rs

38 minutes ago, redruM said:

He may be confident but he's not good... and the goal should not be to be better than Corey, it should be to be as good as Marty ;)

Honestly, we were spoiled by what Marty could do with the puck, me included. Every time the puck comes to a goalie's stick around the boards I expect him to effortlessly clear the puck along the glass out of the zone or zip a pass down the ice to a lurking forward. KK is good enough at puck handling and if you are going to hit him for his lackings in that area, then you are impossible to satisfy. Dude has been lights out for two months.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Honestly, we were spoiled by what Marty could do with the puck, me included. Every time the puck comes to a goalie's stick around the boards I expect him to effortlessly clear the puck along the glass out of the zone or zip a pass down the ice to a lurking forward. KK is good enough at puck handling and if you are going to hit him for his lackings in that area, then you are impossible to satisfy. Dude has been lights out for two months.

It took me a while to find some of these because it was a while back, but I knew I had quite a few takes on Kinkaid, most of them positive, and I knew you were one of the ones going back and forth with me about him. 

They're obviously all out of context, and I'm not at all trying to toot my own horn with any of these (lord knows I've been wrong about lots of stuff in the past),  was more less curious and just wanted to recall what I had actually said and thought about him a few months ago as his playing time was increasing, and I am extremely happy for him and the success he's had since then.  Seriously hope he keeps it up, for himself, and obviously for us as fans.

100%, which is why, unlike most, I wasn't being that hard on KK, because he's not used to the kind of workload he was asked to tackle recently. 

I'm not one who minds standing alone in my beliefs.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't deny that Kinkaid has let in some clunkers.  He leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what we want, actually, what we as a team NEED in a goalie right now (speaks volumes, because the 5 guys on the ice at any given time aren't exactly excelling at their positions either), but he isn't the sole reason why we're struggling right now.  When the news is grim, I hate facing the facts as much as anyone, especially when early on in the season the outlook seemed different, but the truth is, this team has flaws, and just isn't as good as we'd like them to be right now. 

Relax, I understand what you're saying.  It should have been stopped, but I think you have to be reasonable too...it was a powerplay, and the guy had traffic in front of him.  I know you want Kinkaid to make a highlight reel save and steal the game with some highway robbery, so do I, but we may not see that from him.  He's not an acrobatic guy like Brodeur, and he doesn't have the same techique or anticipation either.  He's a backup. We know this.  But lots of teams see extended and unexpected playing time from their backups throughout the year due to injuries to their starter.  The good teams find a way to keep winning and help their backup.

This is also why Kinkaid's save percentage sucks.  Two PP goals, one an absolute ripper 5 on 3, and another a stupid screen/deflection on a 5 on 4.  fvckING WAKE UP DEVILS.

Another goal that wasn't Kinkaid's fault. C'mon Devils, wake the fvck up.

Yeah I guess, and it still surprises me that his save % is that low, especially because from a high level it just seems like he's done a very reasonable job.  I dunno, like I said, I guess I just didn't have very high expectations for him, and to me, he's at least meeting them at the moment.  To each his own though.

Oh and also, while that wasn't the best game from Kinkaid, I think he's getting way too much sh!t from people.  3 goals allowed, but the first two were pure luck and not his fault at all.  The first one the guy was wide open, and it was on the PP (actually, 5 on 3, wasn't it?), and the second one, also another PP goal, and he made the first save with his pad which was nice, but none of our defenders cleared that idiot Simmonds from the crease.   Hell, even the 3rd one wasn't that bad....it caromed off Severson's skate and changed direction at the last minute, leaving him just barely not enough time to get over to the other post.  Again, not his best game, but by no means did he leave the team out to try.  If anything, he played fairly well.  Not only that, but he's not used to playing this many games, at least not this often.  Cut him some slack.

I was just going to say... what exactly do you guys want out of Kinkaid?  I mentioned this in another thread, but the game against the Flyers, he allowed 3 goals, and two of them were 100% not his fault, and you could argue the third was also pretty much luck as well.  Saturday against the Penguins he allowed just one goal, and yes I know the defense did their part and only gave up 16 shots, but as I mentioned before, Kinkaid's been a career backup, and not at all used to playing this many games.  I think he's done a mighty fine just to this point.  He's not losing us games, and although he's not necessarily stealing games for us either, he's stopping the shots he's supposed to stop, and if you think about it, this forum echoes with comments about Cory not being able to do that quite frequently.  All in all I'd very happy with how he's been able to step in so far.

I've said quite a few times already, along with a lot of others, that I've been one of KK's biggest critics. And he was bad for a minute there, real bad. But, he certainly turned it around and showed me and all the rest of his detractors.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

We see the difference though between Bad Kinkaid and Bad Cory though. Of course Kinkaid will have bad stretches, but he has the mental toughness and confidence to fight through every one of them and not let it spiral into some sort of Mackey Sasser horror film

Cory went off ths rails on us. During the most critical stretch of games in his career, that this franchise has played in a long time, that he should've been amped and ready for. Instead he cowered in fear and became completely unplayable

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, '7' said:

We see the difference though between Bad Kinkaid and Bad Cory though. Of course Kinkaid will have bad stretches, but he has the mental toughness and confidence to fight through every one of them and not let it spiral into some sort of Mackey Sasser horror film

Cory went off ths rails on us. During the most critical stretch of games in his career, that this franchise has played in a long time, that he should've been amped and ready for. Instead he cowered in fear and became completely unplayable

Someone else had mentioned to me that they thought Cory looked scared out there. I'd sure prefer not to read too much into that, but he doesn't seem that upset to be on the bench either. Maybe it's just his personality, but I wish he seemed a little more pissed about losing his job. Idk, it could be that he hides it well.

Edited by Neb00rs

5 hours ago, redruM said:

OK so KK has been way better than I expected, I might have been wrong about him, but lets not get crazy about his puck handling skills, they are mediocre at best

I stand by my initial impression when we saw KK in the AHL.  He is showing signs, confidence wise, in that he has the ability to handle the puck in the NHL and start the rush up ice.  He did that with regularity @ Lowell in the AHL.  Hardly another MB30, he can be more helpful for the pace of game we would like to set than CS.  Unless you had seen him in the minors, you probably don't really know his capability in this area.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Someone else had mentioned to me that they thought Cory looked scared out there. I'd sure prefer not to read too much into that, but he doesn't seem that upset to be on the bench either. Maybe it's just his personality, but I wish he seemed a little more pissed about losing his job. Idk, it could be that he hides it well.

Agreed. He seemed comfortable on the bench. Didnt see any fire in him to want to get back out there.  Kinda disappointing. Maybe it's because he knows he's still making 6M and he's bitter, so he says fvck it let me not care and just collect a check.

lol I'm dissapointed in Cory too for his play but let's not project anything just from a few freaking camera shots on the bench.  People used a shot of Eli Manning during Peyton's last Super Bowl looking blank/intense to project some odd jealousy on him.

Would you rather him be a whiny p***k and complain to the press when he's not playing well and the team's winning?  Everyone and their grandmother would be getting on him for being selfish.  It would be worse than what Marty pulled in 2014.  He literally can't make anyone happy...if he looks like a sourpuss people say he doesn't care about the team, only himself.  If he looks happy for his teammates people say he doesn't care about playing.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol I'm dissapointed in Cory too for his play but let's not project anything just from a few freaking camera shots on the bench.  People used a shot of Eli Manning during Peyton's last Super Bowl looking blank/intense to project some odd jealousy on him.

Would you rather him be a whiny p***k and complain to the press when he's not playing well and the team's winning?  Everyone and their grandmother would be getting on him for being selfish.  It would be worse than what Marty pulled in 2014.  He literally can't make anyone happy...if he looks like a sourpuss people say he doesn't care about the team, only himself.  If he looks happy for his teammates people say he doesn't care about playing.

Fair enough.  I won't make too much out of it, but the old saying is, perception is reality.  Not saying it's necessarily true in this case, but it could be.

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This is SO true...if he's being a supportive teammate, then he's a complacent check-casher who doesn't give a fvck...if he were to bitch and chirp about not playing, then he'd be a selfish a$$hole who's putting himself first and becoming a distraction.  Sure, it got to the point where Cory literally couldn't win on the ice, but for me it ends there.  I'm not going to look for reasons to label Cory a loser off the ice.  I think he's handled a rough situation as well as anyone in his no-win position could have, all things considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kink loves his Chipotle almost as much as Lou loves Panera! emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plot twist for poor Taylor Acorn, KK just wanted free Chipotle. He's ditched the chick, stayed with the burrito bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Plot twist for poor Taylor Acorn, KK just wanted free Chipotle. He's ditched the chick, stayed with the burrito bowl.

The game off he had in Washington he was sitting in the nosebleeds with his gf instead if sitting in the box with the rest of the scratches.   

3 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

The game off he had in Washington he was sitting in the nosebleeds with his gf instead if sitting in the box with the rest of the scratches.   

I saw him in the box with the other scratches. Unless his girlfriend is Travis Zajac he was there. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I put this in the offseason thread but I wanted to put it here for posterity too B)

Amanda Stein ‏Verified account @amandacstein 

#NJDevils Goaltender Keith Kinkaid is joining Team USA for the World Championships.

Cory wants to go, but has no invite