2018 NFL Season

Daniel

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But like I said, usually after said September stinker, they pull it together for the next game.  That didn't happen this time, not even close. 

I think this week's game against the Dolphins will be the one that dictates how the season's going to go...this 3-game homestand, really.  Pats gotta win at least two.  Six of their next eight games are on the road after that. 

I'm hoping for the best too obviously, but let's face it, as we've seen with just about every extended run of success, it eventually comes crashing down, and it's not always a slow burn (just ask the 1965 Yankees, the 1999 49ers, etc)...if anything, this Pats run has already lasted longer than anyone had any right to expect...Brady's friggin' 41 years old and has been the Pats' starting QB since September 2001.  It's a real testament to him and his team that we can even still talk about him and the Pats getting back on track and not factor in his age at all...I'm hoping for a full team bounceback, but the balance of the last two games definitely have me wondering HARD. 

We are long overdue to win a game up there.... it’s been 10 years, and Brady wasn’t even playing that day. We’ve never beaten the Patriots in Foxboro in the Brady era in a game where Brady was the starter. I really hope it’s finally our turn, but I’m not really counting on it. If we do somehow win on Sunday, I may be too stunned to speak for a few days lol. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Not like we didn't see this coming (barring a major miracle), but here's the confirmation re:  Garoppolo:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-49ers-quarterback-jimmy-garoppolo-done-for-the-season-after-tearing-acl-sunday/ar-AAAARCh?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Feel for him.  Was never anything but a good soldier for the Pats, even though he knew he was stuck until he was either eventually dealt, or until Brady retired or got hurt. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like we didn't see this coming (barring a major miracle), but here's the confirmation re:  Garoppolo:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-49ers-quarterback-jimmy-garoppolo-done-for-the-season-after-tearing-acl-sunday/ar-AAAARCh?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Feel for him.  Was never anything but a good soldier for the Pats, even though he knew he was stuck until he was either eventually dealt, or until Brady retired or got hurt. 

Awful, and who knows what the future is. Look at Watson right now he looks nothing like he did last year. Granted it may take some time...but some guys just never feel quite right after something like this and are altered forever.

The NFL is such a fleeting, fragile league.

42 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just when you thought the roughing the passer calls couldn’t get any worse..... 

I do get sick of the "How much can we fvck this game up?" approach that seems to be the norm since Goodell became the commish.  There was an ABSURD horsecollar call on the Giants yesterday that wasn't even close to being a horsecollar...and one replay showed an OFFICIAL STARING RIGHT AT THE PLAY AS IT HAPPENED...and they STILL fvcked it up.

And speaking of them, I swear I see 5-6 officials conferences per game now.  Some of these games are just torture on the eyes. 

• Like 1

The Colts are quite literally Luck and nothing else. I mean he has zilch around him.

If I was him I would have long ago lost faith in that franchise. In their ability to give me the tools to win and keep me healthy. 

He's the Colts deGrom. They don't deserve him. He's what's standing between 5-11 and 0-16.

• Like 1

I’ve really had it with this garbage with the Pats. Year after year after year. It’s reaching wrestling levels now. Just change it from Foxboro to Fixedboro. http://dailysnark.com/apparently-the-body-weight-penalty-doesnt-count-when-its-the-patriots-sacking-a-qb-video/

Edited by MadDog2020

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ve really had it with this garbage with the Pats. Year after year after year. It’s reaching wrestling levels now. Just change it from Foxboro to Fixedboro. http://dailysnark.com/apparently-the-body-weight-penalty-doesnt-count-when-its-the-patriots-sacking-a-qb-video/

I'm as conspiratorial as the next guy when it comes to the Patriots, but the new roughing the passer rule is a case of not attributing to conspiracy what you can just as easily call plain stupidity.

The rule is absolutely moronic and won't stop a single quarterback from getting hurt.  I don't blame the refs for not being able to get the call right because when they're looking at a sack in real time, and are left to guess whether the pass rusher could have avoided putting his body weight on the QB.  In the meantime, very few, if any, pass rushers are really going to control the instinct to hit the QB as hard as he absolutely can.  So just as many QBs are going to break their collarbones as they would prior to the rule.  The only difference is that there may or may not be a flag.  In the same way, Ryan Tannehill lost more than a season to a hit to the knee where no flag was thrown.  Don't blame the refs for missing it, but the point is that risk of the flag didn't stop the injury from happening.  And I imagine that a bunch of other QBs since Brady's injury have had the same thing happen to them.

Besides kickers and punters, QBs have the longest careers of any position players in the league, make the most money by far and don't suffer from the same life-long disabilities as other position players.  I'm not saying we go back to the days where you could cream them five seconds after they throw the ball or at the end of a slide, or launch yourself at their heads at will.  But they're protected well enough relative to how violent the sport is otherwise. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm as conspiratorial as the next guy when it comes to the Patriots, but the new roughing the passer rule is a case of not attributing to conspiracy what you can just as easily call plain stupidity.

The rule is absolutely moronic and won't stop a single quarterback from getting hurt.  I don't blame the refs for not being able to get the call right because when they're looking at a sack in real time, and are left to guess whether the pass rusher could have avoided putting his body weight on the QB.  In the meantime, very few, if any, pass rushers are really going to control the instinct to hit the QB as hard as he absolutely can.  So just as many QBs are going to break their collarbones as they would prior to the rule.  The only difference is that there may or may not be a flag.  In the same way, Ryan Tannehill lost more than a season to a hit to the knee where no flag was thrown.  Don't blame the refs for missing it, but the point is that risk of the flag didn't stop the injury from happening.  And I imagine that a bunch of other QBs since Brady's injury have had the same thing happen to them.

Besides kickers and punters, QBs have the longest careers of any position players in the league, make the most money by far and don't suffer from the same life-long disabilities as other position players.  I'm not saying we go back to the days where you could cream them five seconds after they throw the ball or at the end of a slide, or launch yourself at their heads at will.  But they're protected well enough relative to how violent the sport is otherwise. 

You’re preaching to the choir re: the RTP rule, it’s absolutely horrendous and does nothing to protect anyone. And of course, the Fins’ best edge-setting DE now has a torn ACL because of this stupid rule. But I truly think that the officials- whether it’s subconscious or whatever- absolutely default to giving the Pats the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY at Gillette. I think their thought process is basically ‘when in doubt, throw the flag on the opponent’, where as when it’s the Patriots committing the same or a similar foul, it’s ‘when in doubt, let it go’. No one will ever be able to convince me otherwise, and we have 18 years worth of proof. Last night was just the latest installment in this never-ending fvcking nightmare.

Edited by MadDog2020

Giants lose a fluky games and yet another hailmary field goal. Remember Elliot pretty much buried their season last year on a 62 yarder. This year it's Gano with a 63 yarder. Brutal loss. Though to be fair it was a game they were lucky to even be let back into. They're 1-4 and a deserving 1-4. And now Beckham is chirping because of course he is

What the hell are the Buffalo Bills? This is the absolute definition of team that you just cannot figure out. 

Who leads the AFC in rushing? 

Edited by '7'

51 minutes ago, '7' said:

Giants lose a fluky games and yet another hailmary field goal. Remember Elliot pretty much buried their season last year on a 62 yarder. This year it's Gano with a 63 yarder. Brutal loss. Though to be fair it was a game they were lucky to even be let back into. They're 1-4 and a deserving 1-4. And now Beckham is chirping because of course he is

What the hell are the Buffalo Bills? This is the absolute definition of team that you just cannot figure out. 

Who leads the AFC in rushing? 

Not THAT hard to figure out what the Bills are- they’re trash, like the rest of the AFC East that isn’t the Patriots. I think they have a shot to beat the Dolphins out for 3rd place in the division by December though. 

So apparently per the WFAN midday show there was one more play in the Giants-Panthers game AFTER the FG but FOX unconscionably couldn’t wait to cut out to Eagles-Vikings even in the NY market, and the Giants actually had a chance to break the return :lol: God this league would have deserved that kind of fvck up.

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently per the WFAN midday show there was one more play in the Giants-Panthers game AFTER the FG but FOX unconscionably couldn’t wait to cut out to Eagles-Vikings even in the NY market, and the Giants actually had a chance to break the return :lol: God this league would have deserved that kind of fvck up.

That truly would've been Heidi Game Part 2. 

In a sh!tshow of a season with nightmarish calls left and right costing teams game and an insane emphasis on QB protection (that has QB's questioning it) you're right they absolutely deserved it much like they deserved that Green Bay/Seattle catch debacle.

Giants are once again benefitting from a garbage NFC east. 1-4 and still very much in it. And yes the Patriots are 3-2 but they will end up running away with it with at least 11 wins (I actually think they'll win 12) meanwhile the NFC east is an 8-8 division winner

Edited by '7'

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So WTF happened to the Jags today?  That's the most random upset blowout I've seen since...Vikings-Bills a couple weeks ago.  The NFL's parity is on steroids this year, but still somehow exempts New England.

That shocked me too. But you know what the Jags needed a humbling. They've been yappy, cocky clowns ever since they finally rose from the NFL graveyard last year. Still haven't accomplished anything but seem to think they're better than they are with some sort of defensive mystique. They don't have that.

Chiefs/Patriots was insane. I mean it got to the point where neither team had any chance of stopping any play the other ran. As the game wore down they were trading bombs. It was like CFL football

I can't believe it's come to the point that the guy let Brady out of his grasp because he thought the ball was gone and it would be a roughing the passer (which is exactly what would've happened) How the heck can defense be played?

Edited by '7'

Brady and Belichick are just never gonna go the fvck away are they? 10 years from now- heck, 20 years from now- they’ll still be here, ruining the Sundays of football fans everywhere, just like they’ve been doing for the past 18 fvcking years, won’t they? This is just NEVER. GONNA. END. is it? 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Brady and Belichick are just never gonna go the fvck away are they? 10 years from now- heck, 20 years from now- they’ll still be here, ruining the Sundays of football fans everywhere, just like they’ve been doing for the past 18 fvcking years, won’t they? This is just NEVER. GONNA. END. is it? 

I don't even think they like each other anymore, but still get it done. That one nearly slipped away from them last night. And Belichick did fluster Mahomes for a while as he usually does to rookie QB's though Mahomes could only be kept in check for so long. 

Brady is still outstanding, and he has a lot of weapons too. So if there is any slippage in his game he still has a bunch of guys around him to make plays and a great O line and O line coach that will keep him from getting hit

3 hours ago, '7' said:

I don't even think they like each other anymore, but still get it done. That one nearly slipped away from them last night. And Belichick did fluster Mahomes for a while as he usually does to rookie QB's though Mahomes could only be kept in check for so long. 

Brady is still outstanding, and he has a lot of weapons too. So if there is any slippage in his game he still has a bunch of guys around him to make plays and a great O line and O line coach that will keep him from getting hit

I just want the two of them to be strapped to a rocket along with that jerk-off Kraft and be shot into the sun, never to hear any of their names again. I don’t care about watching ‘greatness’, or ‘appreciating history’ or any of that sh!t. And now you have players OPENLY DEFERRING to Brady and not hitting him, because ‘the game is in New England, and Tom always gets that call’. No. fvck that. That’s the last fvcking straw for me. Next time, hit that fvcking douchebag so hard, his a$$hole ends up in his eye socket. Enough is enough. It’s been 18 years. You’ve won five Super Bowls. Go the fvck away. NO ONE who isn’t a Patriots fan will miss you. 

Edited by MadDog2020

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just want the two of them to be strapped to a rocket along with that jerk-off Kraft and shot into the sun, never to hear any of their names again. I don’t care about watching ‘greatness’, or ‘appreciating history’ or any of that sh!t. And now you have players OPENLY DEFERRING to Brady and not hitting him, because ‘the game is in New England, and Tom always gets that call’. No. fvck that. That’s the last fvcking straw for me. Next time, hit that fvcking douchebag so hard, his a$$hole ends up in his eye socket. Enough is enough. It’s been 18 years. You’ve won five Super Bowls. Go the fvck away. NO ONE who isn’t a Patriots fan will miss you. 

I seem to recall that years ago that a player (I believe on the Giants) let go of Vince Young when he still had the ball because he didn't want to get a flag. 

Whatevs, I had a great fantasy week with Saquon and Tyreek Hill and still have Davante Adams and Jimmy Graham to go tonight.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean... look at this. LOOK AT THIS. 

fvck the fvck off.

The funny part is people don't realize that play would have been first and goal on the one or something like that anyway cause of a defensive holding on the Chiefs that got declined.  But good that this happened to make the NFL look sillier for the flag-footballization of the sport.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I seem to recall that years ago that a player (I believe on the Giants) let go of Vince Young when he still had the ball because he didn't want to get a flag. 

Whatevs, I had a great fantasy week with Saquon and Tyreek Hill and still have Davante Adams and Jimmy Graham to go tonight.

Kiwaneuka...and I definitely thought of that one too.  Not to mention your player that tore an ACL a couple weeks ago letting up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Welp, 3-0 allowed for more wishful thinking than Dolphins typically get in any particular season.  It really is a matter of waiting for the Pats dynasty to end before any other team in the AFC East is worth watching again.

Every season is the same. Nothing ever changes. Also, Wilson and Stills both went down yesterday, Wilson probably for the season, adding to the unending list of injuries to key players. They are gonna get absolutely torched in Houston Thursday night. It’s gonna be painful. 

Edited by MadDog2020