2018 NFL Season

Daniel

4 hours ago, '7' said:

I know we're all sick of every little thing taking forever to replay, and it's just a byproduct of the era we live in. We can look at everything in great detail so we DO look at everything in great detail

Maybe teams should be granted 1 penalty review per half? Something like that. But what happened to the Saints there we should be able to review and correct. We can right that wrong in game

Replay never gets limited in such a fashion.  They always tell you that replay is only there to correct obviously missed calls, but as we all know, it isn't actually that way.  If that were the case, you could do replay from the booth, and it should take all of 30 seconds to complete the review. 

And then can you imagine challenges for offensive holding calls, or even worse missed offensive holding calls.  Soon these games are going to last five hours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Replay never gets limited in such a fashion.  They always tell you that replay is only there to correct obviously missed calls, but as we all know, it isn't actually that way.  If that were the case, you could do replay from the booth, and it should take all of 30 seconds to complete the review. 

And then can you imagine challenges for offensive holding calls, or even worse missed offensive holding calls.  Soon these games are going to last five hours.

Yea. You're right. That's the rabbit hole we'll end up falling into. I would like to limit it to certain things. Maybe just stuff in the secondary. Personal fouls, egregious missed personal fouls. PI's/Missed PI's. But yea good luck limiting it. It will continue to get more bloated. But it does really irk me what happened to the Saints there.

It irks me what happened to the Saints too, but sh!t happens and teams lose games on bad calls. Part of sports since time immemorial. We don’t need to start allowing coaches challenges or booth reviews on ANY penalty, PI or otherwise, or these games are gonna become unwatchable.

Edited by MadDog2020

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

At least it helped Flores’ cause. Only thing about the game for me that was the least bit good.

Although the idea is for him not to be that effective this year.  According to Mando, all of the serious candidates for the job were more or less told what the team is trying to do.  And right now, Flores is giving every indication that he's on board saying "There will be some pain."  Embrace the tank, and don't muck it up like the Jets almost did. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, '7' said:

What you didn't enjoy last nights 1927 style NFL Championship game?

A root canal was more enjoyable

Yeah, if you didn't have a team that was in it and you weren't truly invested in that SB then you would've liked more fireworks for sure...but where a game like that gave me some hope for the future of the NFL was that we might start to see more balance in these games, where defenses are once again given some real chances to DEFEND.  These shootout track meets were getting to be too much.  There was a lot of solid D from BOTH teams. 

I got back in from Fla and just had to listen to Fatso's take on the SB...as some here know, I don't believe in trying to nail down anyone as the "GOAT", especially in football, because the game has changed so drastically through the years...Otto Graham played a different game than Johnny Unitas, Unitas a different game from Montana, Montana a different game from Brady, etc.  Way too many variables.  I think all one can do is hope to be either the best or among the best of his era, and Brady has accomplished that, so good enough for me.

Fatso has issues with BB (apparently BB never really gave him the time of day, mostly because he probably  rightly sized up the Fat fvck for being the stammering mushmouthed zilch that he is), so Fatso will take digs at the Pats any chance he gets...it doesn't bother me (especially in a NY market), but it's funny to hear callers just shred him on his takes (they also kill him on Twitter), and how he moves the goalposts constantly in trying to make a "point".  He's become trainwreck radio and is completely oblivious to it.

He'll tell you that Joe Montana is the better SB QB, because in the four times he went there, he put up a huge rating (over 127)...Fatso has now decided that QB rating and never losing is the sole way to rate SB QBs.  Not taking a thing away from Montana; he's an all-time great, one of the very best ever, and this isn't about me debating Brady vs Montana anyway.  What's funny is that Fatso will then tell you definitively that Peyton Manning is the best regular season QB ever, but I guess suddenly then QB ratings are no longer the measure, because Brady's put up a career rating of 97.6, compared to Manning's 96.5...it's that constant moving of the goalposts and hypocrisy on Francesa's part that I find sadly hilarious.  And apparently it doesn't matter how many SBs you get to, it's much better to get to four and win them all, than to get to more than twice as many and lose a few.  That somehow not winning ALL of your SB appearances is reason to dock B&B several points.  Fatso even went so far as to compare the Pats to the Bills (because of course 6-3 is similar to 0-4), or to make up nonexistent scenarios like "If the Pats go 3-6, is it a big deal that they went to nine SBs?"  If you have to base your arguments on complete hypotheticals, do you even have an argument any more?

Anyway, like I said, I don't really have any interest in GOAT arguments or trying to make one guy/team/coach or era look worse than another...I just have no idea how a stammering moronic irrelevant self-important buffoon like Francesa still not only gets airtime, but still has listeners who think he has anything going on.  The guy is completely incapable of any genuine back-and-forth, give-and-take banter...as soon as someone starts to raise a fair point that doesn't jibe with Fatso's ideas, Fatso just talks over him and berates him, and feels like he's "won".  Worst blowhard ever on NY radio.  

• Like 1

If anything the reaction to this game just makes me worried we’ll see even more rules for scoring. Sure the ‘real football fan’ (does that demo even exist anymore compared to the casual/fantasy fans?) would prefer 13-3 to 54-51 but look at how people went gaga over Chiefs-Rams or either Chiefs-Pats game compared to the vilification Sunday’s game got. That’s the majority the NFL and all these other leagues cater to, who think more offense is better.

I always assumed Francesa was anti-BB because he left his then-BFF Parcells in 2000.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, eaglejelly said:

Admittedly it would have been especially funny if Chris Hansen had busted him:  "Robert, why don't you have a seat?  What did you think was going to happen here?  I've read your transcripts under your screenname 'KraftyWine&Dine69', and it's pretty obvious that you came here looking for seeeeeeeeeex..." 

• 3 weeks later...

I know the Giants were sick of him but for his age, for his talent level (arguably the best WR in the league) you have to get more from Beckham. Or just keep him and put up with it

He missed a few games in what was a lost season for the Giants last year but over the course of 16 games his stats projected to be 102 catches, 1400 yards. His first 3 years in the league were 90-100 catches every year. 1300-1400 yards. And he's 26. This is not a talent you get your hands on very often despite the headcase. They haven't been losing because of him

Not sure what the Giants plan is going forward. But when you have a top back like Barkley, you don't want to waste prime years in rebuild mode. Nobody knows how long a back has. Some can give you 8 solid years. Some guys fizzle out at 4

While OBJ may be a headcase at times, he is no Antonio Brown. OBJ is very passionate, something that people confuses and undervalue. Giants lost themselves alot of fans today I would assume, after reading over the comments. 

On the bright side, look at Mayfield's offense.. holy jeezus

51 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's official, the Giants are a gongshow and have been the last two years but nobody wants to admit it cause they're a golden franchise

Will disagree.  Wide receivers generally don’t age well, and the Giants got an enormous haul for him, especially compared to what the Steelers got for Brown.  They can either get their QB in this year’s draft or have one of Tua, Fromm or Herbert next year.  

If one thing set the Giants back enormously, it was passing on Tunsil and drafting Eli Apple.

Odell is like five years younger than Brown, and signed for longer - of course he was going to get a bit more of a return.  Plus signing a guy last offseason only to trade him this offseason smacks of an organization with no plan.  $16 million of dead cap space is like 1/10 of the cap.  And you're now wasting most of Barkley's rookie contract in a rebuild, the idea of drafting a RB high is to get him at a cheap cost anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If one thing set the Giants back enormously, it was passing on Tunsil and drafting Eli Apple.

I don’t even wanna think about where the Fins’ o-line would be without Tunsil. Thank God the Giants did us that favor lol (a tip of the hat to the bong mask as well 😛). 

Edited by MadDog2020

40 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Odell is like five years younger than Brown, and signed for longer - of course he was going to get a bit more of a return.  Plus signing a guy last offseason only to trade him this offseason smacks of an organization with no plan.  $16 million of dead cap space is like 1/10 of the cap.  And you're now wasting most of Barkley's rookie contract in a rebuild, the idea of drafting a RB high is to get him at a cheap cost anyway.

If I'm correct that the dead cap space is just for this year, it doesn't really matter as the last thing the Giants need to do is splurge on free agents, which of course, they couldn't do without the trade anyway. 

Drafting Barkley instead of a QB is water under the bridge.  If they get their QB next year, the amount they have to pay Barkley when his rookie deal is over should even out.  Now they have the sixth and seventeenth overall.  They can get their O-line back on track in this draft and they might have also upgraded at safety.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

If I'm correct that the dead cap space is just for this year, it doesn't really matter as the last thing the Giants need to do is splurge on free agents, which of course, they couldn't do without the trade anyway. 

Drafting Barkley instead of a QB is water under the bridge.  If they get their QB next year, the amount they have to pay Barkley when his rookie deal is over should even out.  Now they have the sixth and seventeenth overall.  They can get their O-line back on track in this draft and they might have also upgraded at safety.

The thing is, the Giants don't draft well. Especially the Oline.  Can't respect a GM that consistently lies to his fans almost every day it seems. Bad day for Giant fans.

Edited by CarterforPresident