2018 NFL Season

Daniel

Since I'm a little anal when it comes to threads, I'll start one for the 2018 season, which I guess officially starts with free agency.

Won't rehash everything we've already talked about, except that Jordy Nelson was released, and I imagine will end up on the Patriots because of course.  The Pats are also reportedly trying to sign Suh.  It' the Patriots' world, and we're just living in it.

Of course Suh would go to the Pats

Looks like Butler to the Titans, reunites with Logan Ryan

Good moves by the Niners,Rams, CLE Nd Chicago so far.

Graham to GB for to much while they have no secondary, while trading their best CB to.

Looking closee at the Butler deal, it isn't that bad. They have the cap as well, a trio of Butler-Adoree and Logan is pretty dam nasty.  With a healthy Luck ans Watson, the division should be the best this season IMO

Edited by CarterforPresident

Well the Suh thing could very well not work out. I mean Haynesworth didn't. Neither did Chad Johnson. But generally when they get a guy they pretty much all fall in line and adapt to the Patriot way. Suh's also not so young anymore at 31. 

Belichick will have zero patience for any hyper aggressive 15 yarder personal fouls though that's for sure.

Trumaine Johnson to the Jets. Looks like about 15 million per year. Steep but he did rank as the best press-man corner in the league last season. Though not the best corner outright all things considered.

Edited by '7'

Pats taking some hits early:  gone are Amendola (expendable when one considers that Edelman will be back), Lewis, Butler (that one was a given), and now Solder (that one hurts, but the Giants simply anted up to make him their man).  Looks like the BB is OK with piling up some compensatory picks for the time being, and letting the dust settle before making any big moves. 

17 hours ago, '7' said:

Well the Suh thing could very well not work out. I mean Haynesworth didn't. Neither did Chad Johnson. But generally when they get a guy they pretty much all fall in line and adapt to the Patriot way. Suh's also not so young anymore at 31. 

Belichick will have zero patience for any hyper aggressive 15 yarder personal fouls though that's for sure.

Suh is still a very good player.  He occasionally lets his emotions get the better of him on the field, but it got rarer and rarer to the point that he wasn't the kind of guy that you expected a stupid personal foul penalty from on a regular basis.  He's also not a head case, and certainly nowhere near as much of one as Haynesworth and Ochocinco were.  Suh would be a perfect fit anywhere, but especially in New England.  It makes too much sense not to sign him.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, '7' said:

Marino I believe scored a 16. Which never made much sense to me because of how bright a guy he is. Wonder if he sort of blew off the test

Sometimes it's a case of the person legitimately not being a good test taker.  The questions on the Wonderlic are generally very easy, there are just a lot of them that you have to do very quickly, which is what makes it somewhat challenging. 

So, I mean, if a QB gets a ten or below, it's a huge red flag.  Anything below a 20 for a quarterback is still probably a concern, but you can probably tell if the test result is anomolous based on interviews, class performance, rap sheet, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a pathetic amateurish attempt that was with color rush. Going with throwback uni's would be universally applauded...however the game itself is unnecessary and unsalvageable. You'll never have top quality games just based on how fatigued the teams are going to be

• Like 1

Less then 2 weeks till the Draft: As a Bills fan I can't wait till its over: The exhausting amount of mock drafts and trade talks has burned me out.

I'm still hoping for Sam Darnold, but I think its unlikely as even if the Browns pass on Sam at 1, I see the Giants taking Darnold at 2.

Josh Rosen is really intriguing, has all the tools, it's all about what is in between the ears for Josh. But as a Bills fan I would be bullish on getting up there to get Rosen.

Baker Mayfield is accurate, but there have been a few QB's from Oklahoma who have been as well and it has not translated well to the pros: Buyer beware. Mixed on Baker.

Josh Allen is the true wildcard of this QB draft: Oozing with physical upside, accuracy is an issue: As a Bills fan that reminds me of EJ Manuel: Ill pass.

Lamar Jackson I think can be a good one but he needs work and a team will have to be patient with his development.

Mason Rudolph has some of the most varied opinions out there: Some say steal, some say complete bust. Not crazy about QB's who operate solely out of the shotgun.

Jets fans: Who do you want at 3? We know it will be a QB: If not, the Jets owner should be forced to sell and the GM should be let go right away.

Will the Giants trade out of 2? If I were NY I would pass on Saquon and go Bradley Chubb or trade down and get a king's ransom from Buffalo.

Edited by LOTCB

Allen scares the hell out of me. If the Jets take him the fans will burn down Florham Park. That low completion percentage usually does not improve once you make it to the pros

I still see Darnold to Cleveland as 1. The smart thing for the Giants to do would be to take Rosen but I'm not 100% sure they do that. They seem cool on all the QB's but are doing their due diligence. They may go Chubb or Barkley or Nelson. Which would leave the Jets having to decide between Mayfield and Rosen. The Jets are super high on Mayfield and I am too. I think they take him. There is enormous Mayfield to NYJ momentum these past few days.

Giants may trade out. It's not likely but definitely not impossible. The Bills seem absolutely desperate to move up in the draft for either Allen or Mayfield so they may Ricky Williams their way up there. At that point they'd make the Giants an offer they couldn't refuse

Jets would be wise to keep in contact with the Giants in case Buffalo or Miami tries to jump them for their QB.

Edited by '7'

Mark Sanchez has been suspended 4 games for testing positive for a banned substance

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23157186/mark-sanchez-suspended-four-games-peds

"I was blind-sided by the news and I want to say unequivocally that I have never cheated or attempted to gain a competitive advantage by using a banned performance enhancing substance," he wrote.

Sanchez blamed the positive test on an "unknowing supplement contamination." He said he had clean tests 30 days before and 12 days after his positive test.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, '7' said:

Allen scares the hell out of me. If the Jets take him the fans will burn down Florham Park. That low completion percentage usually does not improve once you make it to the pros

I still see Darnold to Cleveland as 1. The smart thing for the Giants to do would be to take Rosen but I'm not 100% sure they do that. They seem cool on all the QB's but are doing their due diligence. They may go Chubb or Barkley or Nelson. Which would leave the Jets having to decide between Mayfield and Rosen. The Jets are super high on Mayfield and I am too. I think they take him. There is enormous Mayfield to NYJ momentum these past few days.

Giants may trade out. It's not likely but definitely not impossible. The Bills seem absolutely desperate to move up in the draft for either Allen or Mayfield so they may Ricky Williams their way up there. At that point they'd make the Giants an offer they couldn't refuse

Jets would be wise to keep in contact with the Giants in case Buffalo or Miami tries to jump them for their QB.

When I heard the Jets traded for the 3rd pick it really REALLY made things difficult for Buffalo and since they paid so much, it changed the price-point for the 2nd pick.

I agree with you, if I am the Giants I take Rosen, that is who I want for Buffalo (Darnold to Cleveland IMO is a done deal)

But I have a feeling this is how it goes down:

1. Cleveland- Sam Darnold

2. NY Giants - Saquon Barkey

3 - NY Jets - Josh Rosen

4- Cleveland - Bradley Chubb

5 -- Buffalo (From Denver) - Baker Mayfield

When I heard the Jets traded for the 3rd pick it really REALLY made things difficult for Buffalo and since they paid so much, it changed the price-point for the 2nd pick.

I agree with you, if I am the Giants I take Rosen, that is who I want for Buffalo (Darnold to Cleveland IMO is a done deal)

3 - NY Jets - Josh Rosen

Highly doubt the Giants take Barkley. It’s a QB or they trade the pick I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Highly doubt the Giants take Barkley. It’s a QB or they trade the pick I think.

Possible, the Giants to me should move on from Eli. Eli has been below average for years and those who deny it deep down know it.

• Like 1

Possible, the Giants to me should move on from Eli. Eli has been below average for years and those who deny it deep down know it.

If I were a Giants fan and they took a fvcking RB (I don’t care how good Barkley is, you don’t draft a RB #2 overall unless you have a literal crystal ball and can see into the future that the guy will be Jim Brown reincarnated) over Eli’s heir apparent or trading back for a king’s ransom, I’d riot. Gettleman will be signing his own death warrant if he takes Barkley.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:38 AM, LOTCB said:

3 - NY Jets - Josh Rosen

This seems pretty plausible. Certainly the Jets interest in Mayfield may be a smokescreen. Rosen has perfect mechanics and is the most pro ready guy. And Denver has put 5 up for sale so that's probably where Buffalo will end up if they jump. And this his Allen falling which I think he should with all his red flags. Wonder where he'd end up.

For whatever reason the Giants don't seem super enamored with any of the QB's. They need one. I think they'd take Darnold but I'm not even 100% sure on that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If I were a Giants fan and they took a fvcking RB (I don’t care how good Barkley is, you don’t draft a RB #2 overall unless you have a literal crystal ball and can see into the future that the guy will be Jim Brown reincarnated) over Eli’s heir apparent or trading back for a king’s ransom, I’d riot. Gettleman will be signing his own death warrant if he takes Barkley.

Gettleman has said some things that point to Barkley being seriously in play here ("Great running game opens up/improves the passing game) he's not wrong of course it's just that with the situation the Giants are in now it just seems nuts to take back, even a GREAT back, when you need a QB and could very easily find good to very good backs later. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Gettleman has said some things that point to Barkley being seriously in play here ("Great running game opens up/improves the passing game) he's not wrong of course it's just that with the situation the Giants are in now it just seems nuts to take back, even a GREAT back, when you need a QB and could very easily find good to very good backs later. 

Not to mention that even a great back needs a good offensive line.  Giants seem to have improved theirs, but it was such a disaster last year that I highly doubt it will anywhere near the caliber of Dallas’s which is what Zeke needed to thrive.  

If I were a Giants fan, and they took Barkley, Gettlemen has to convince me that the remaining QBs are busts, and Barkley has to be as good as AP.   This is something you can’t mess up.

• Like 1