Jump to content

2018 NFL Season


Daniel
 Share

Recommended Posts

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

New policy requires players, personnel on the field to stand for anthem

Kevin Seifert

  • PintEmaATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The new policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show appropriate respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons. Those teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room until after the Anthem has been performed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

New policy requires players, personnel on the field to stand for anthem

Kevin Seifert

  • PintEmaATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The new policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show appropriate respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons. Those teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room until after the Anthem has been performed.

This is so dumb. Just have both teams stay in the locker room until after the anthem, like they did every year of the league’s existence until 2009.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is so dumb. Just have both teams stay in the locker room until after the anthem, like they did every year of the league’s existence until 2009.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

That’s probably where it’s headed.  Maybe I misheard, but it looks like Christopher Johnson has already announced that he’ll cover any fine that’s lodged against one of his players for kneeling or whatever.  I imagine most of the other owners will follow suit.  The only thing the league might do is consider that a salary cap violation and start taking away draft picks.

I fvcking hate Colin Kaepernick and all of his idiotic followers and enablers for this.  It’s very simple, you should not do things at your place of business that pisses off half of your customers.  But maybe Colin figures things should be run the way his hero Fidel Castro thinks they should.  Good thing he doesn’t have to rot in a gulag and have his millions confiscated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s probably where it’s headed.  Maybe I misheard, but it looks like Christopher Johnson has already announced that he’ll cover any fine that’s lodged against one of his players for kneeling or whatever.  I imagine most of the other owners will follow suit.  The only thing the league might do is consider that a salary cap violation and start taking away draft picks.
I fvcking hate Colin Kaepernick and all of his idiotic followers and enablers for this.  It’s very simple, you should not do things at your place of business that pisses off half of your customers.  But maybe Colin figures things should be run the way his hero Fidel Castro thinks they should.  Good thing he doesn’t have to rot in a gulag and have his millions confiscated.

I agree with Kaep for kneeling because I understand WHY he started doing it- as a white guy, I’m not gonna pretend I understand what it’s like to be black in America. Police brutality (which is why this all started, not some conjured up misconception of disrespecting the flag or the military) is a huge problem in this country. I salute Kaep for bringing attention to the issue. But the pig socks and the Castro shirt is where he loses credibility. That was an enormous error on his part, and it discredits the message he was trying to send. Regarding Christopher Johnson, when did he say that? With this new policy, if a player kneels, the team is fined, not the player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


I agree with Kaep for kneeling because I understand WHY he started doing it- as a white guy, I’m not gonna pretend I understand what it’s like to be black in America. Police brutality (which is why this all started, not some conjured up misconception of disrespecting the flag or the military) is a huge problem in this country. I salute Kaep for bringing attention to the issue. But the pig socks and the Castro shirt is where he loses credibility. That was an enormous error on his part, and it discredits the message he was trying to send. Regarding Christopher Johnson, when did he say that? With this new policy, if a player kneels, the team is fined, not the player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with Kaepernick on the merits and think his protest is stupid.  Very simply put, if he cares about the plight young black men, then police brutality, while it happens, is not the problem, and not even close.  It’s the fact that young black men are murdered, beaten and maimed by other young black men at a very high rate to the point that homicide is the number one cause of death for young black men.  That’s a very scary thing to have to deal with in life, but it has nothing to do with racism, white supremacy or whatever mindless buzzword Kaepernick wants to use.  So really, all he’s doing is virtue signaling, rather than addressing a real problem.  It drives me nuts that he’s only called out as being “unpatriotic” which is pretty much besides the point so far as I’m concerned.

I heard about the Christopher Johnson thing listening to Francesca.  I was sort of half paying attention, so I might have missed something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree with Kaepernick on the merits and think his protest is stupid.  Very simply put, if he cares about the plight young black men, then police brutality, while it happens, is not the problem, and not even close.  It’s the fact that young black men are murdered, beaten and maimed by other young black men at a very high rate to the point that homicide is the number one cause of death for young black men.  That’s a very scary thing to have to deal with in life, but it has nothing to do with racism, white supremacy or whatever mindless buzzword Kaepernick wants to use.  So really, all he’s doing is virtue signaling, rather than addressing a real problem.  It drives me nuts that he’s only called out as being “unpatriotic” which is pretty much besides the point so far as I’m concerned.
I heard about the Christopher Johnson thing listening to Francesca.  I was sort of half paying attention, so I might have missed something.

Police brutality IS a huge problem, and it always has been- body cams, surveillance cameras, and cell phone videos have brought this more to light. While black on black crime is also a huge problem, let’s not sit here and say that police brutality is not. Obviously, this doesn’t mean all cops are racist or treat black people differently- but white people giving commentary on what they think the problem is while never having had to live a minute of our lives as black men just rings hollow to me. We can agree to disagree, as I doubt I’m gonna change your mind, but I respect and support the message these guys are trying to get across.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Police brutality IS a huge problem, and it always has been- body cams, surveillance cameras, and cell phone videos have brought this more to light. While black on black crime is also a huge problem, let’s not sit here and say that police brutality is not. Obviously, this doesn’t mean all cops are racist or treat black people differently- but white people giving commentary on what they think the problem is while never having had to live a minute of our lives as black men just rings hollow to me. We can agree to disagree, as I doubt I’m gonna change your mind, but I respect and support the message these guys are trying to get across.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can tell you is that statistically speaking, police brutality is a fairly minor and local problem that is adequately addressed by the laws that are on the books, although perhaps federal civil rights laws could be strengthened somewhat to not let authorities get off in civil suits on technicalities (that’s complicated so I won’t get into it). And there’s no evidence that white on black police brutality is any more proportionately prevelant than other racial permutations, which shows that we don’t have a problem with racist white cops, although they must obviously exist since there are a lot of cops in the country, and some of them are bound to be racist however you want to define it.

By contrast, Baltimore, East St. Louis, and Detroit are still among the most violent cities in the world, and the victims in those places are almost all black people.  It’s to the point that probably a majority of black people in the country know several people in their lives who were murdered, and they weren’t killed by police officers, or, for that matter, George Zimmerman, the klan, neo-Nazis or the alt-right.

Even if Kaepernick and his followers got whatever they were asking for, however poorly thought out it is, the lives of the people in the cities I mentioned, or places like Newark, Camden or Irvington, would not improve even marginally.  And he really couldn’t give two sh!ts about those people because it doesn’t fit his narrative.

So I hope he never gets another job in the NFL, and I absolutely would toss all of my Dolphins gear if the team ever signed him, although there’s a better chance they sign me to play QB given the whole Castro thing.

ADDENDUM: and the reason why we pretty much have no ability to address the problem I’m talking about, which everyone admits is a big problem, is because of people like Kaepernick and his followers, which makes things even worse.  They’re big on saying “we need an honest conversation about x”.  What they really mean is “shut the fvck up.”  

Edited by Daniel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Probably one of the biggest trades in a long time and will be for a long time, Khalil Mack..  The raiders pretty much got crap  In return when you see that they also gave up a second round pick.  I am not even a raiders fan but I felt that hit on the insides before I even clicked the article.  Really feel for some of the fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, CarterforPresident said:

Probably one of the biggest trades in a long time and will be for a long time, Khalil Mack..  The raiders pretty much got crap  In return when you see that they also gave up a second round pick.  I am not even a raiders fan but I felt that hit on the insides before I even clicked the article.  Really feel for some of the fans.

One of my best friends is a die-hard Raiders fan. He’s understandably livid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I heard this point made on the radio before and it's true - do an exercise where you take any two consecutive first-round picks your team's ever made...you'll find the vast majority of the time you'd gladly trade those guys for Khalil Mack.

The whole point of a 1st round pick is to hopefully find a player like Khalil Mack. Gruden is gonna ruin that team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My hot take is that first round picks in the NFL are pretty overrated unless you anticipate needing a QB and there's a surefire franchise one to be had.  (Note, I'm not taking into account cap advantages of having players on their first contract since I really know next to nothing about how the NFL's salary cap works).  You pull the trigger on that deal every day if you're the Bears, and I'm glad the Jets didn't.

Gruden is going to be what Bobby Valentine was when he came back to manage the Red Sox.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been reported the Jets wouldn't give up two firsts (1 was included) but they tried to get creative and Oakland wouldn't budge. Plus the Raiders weren't keen on keeping him in conference. They should've bit the bullet and done it. Bears made a great trade

But the Jets weren't desperate enough. They do have a lot of flexibility in the next few years and need to bolster the o-line and pass rush. They have among the most cap space in the NFL so I can definitely see them buying the line, and drafting the rush (2019 is supposedly a very rich pass rusher class)

 

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jalen Ramsey might turn out to be one of the savvier players in the league.  A good cornerback knows how to get under people’s skin.  I feel he’s going to get a lot of WRs to take dumb penalties and QBs to force passes largely by virtue of what he says off the field where he can’t get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Jalen Ramsey might turn out to be one of the savvier players in the league.  A good cornerback knows how to get under people’s skin.  I feel he’s going to get a lot of WRs to take dumb penalties and QBs to force passes largely by virtue of what he says off the field where he can’t get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Looking forward to seeing just how batsh!t he can drive Beckham this week lmfao.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Looking forward to seeing just how batsh!t he can drive Beckham this week lmfao.

I drafted 14th (last pick in the first round) in my fantasy draft (snake draft...I had the 15th pick to lead off the second round).  Odell fell to me, so I had to roll the dice and take him (with somewhat gritted teeth).  We'll see if he's grown up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I drafted 14th (last pick in the first round) in my fantasy draft (snake draft...I had the 15th pick to lead off the second round).  Odell fell to me, so I had to roll the dice and take him (with somewhat gritted teeth).  We'll see if he's grown up. 

I have ODB in one of my leagues too. I don’t care if he loses his sh!t, as long as he can mix a couple of TD’s in lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have ODB in one of my leagues too. I don’t care if he loses his sh!t, as long as he can mix a couple of TD’s in lol. 

I was considering taking 2 RBs with my two early picks, but all of the ones I wanted were off the board at that point.  So I took Beckham at 14 (too much beast potential not to), and Atlanta's Freeman at 15.  Freeman didn't exactly light it up in Week 1 (left with a knee injury but said he's OK), but should be a decent RB1 as long as he's healthy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was considering taking 2 RBs with my two early picks, but all of the ones I wanted were off the board at that point.  So I took Beckham at 14 (too much beast potential not to), and Atlanta's Freeman at 15.  Freeman didn't exactly light it up in Week 1 (left with a knee injury but said he's OK), but should be a decent RB1 as long as he's healthy. 

I’m in a keeper league, and my keeper is Alvin Kamara (picked him up off of waivers last year before he blew up, so I only had to use my 5th round pick on him). I also drafted third overall, and took David Johnson. In a 12-team league, I have the best RB duo on paper (as long as they both stay healthy, obviously) in the league and it’s not close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.