Jump to content

2018 NFL Season


Daniel
 Share

Recommended Posts

i drafted sixth and gambled on Saquon.  In the second round I passed on ODB and took a bigger risk and took Royce Freeman as I'm a big believer in having as many good running backs as possible.  Ironically my receivers -- DeVante Adams and Tyreek Hill -- might turn out to be better than my running backs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

i drafted sixth and gambled on Saquon.  In the second round I passed on ODB and took a bigger risk and took Royce Freeman as I'm a big believer in having as many good running backs as possible.  Ironically my receivers -- DeVante Adams and Tyreek Hill -- might turn out to be better than my running backs.

I'm a little weak at RB...I have Devonta Freeman (RB1), Rex Burkhead (RB2), and Kerryon Johnson (one of my FLEX guys for now).  I'm strong at WR (Beckham and Demariyus Thomas, with Josh Doctson as a possible WR2 or FLEX), and QB (Brady and Russell Wilson).  I took Wilson for a couple of reasons:  at that point in my draft, there wasn't a lot that was great that I couldn't likely nab later, and as I learned last year with Aaron Rodgers (and my backup Kirk Cousins), always nice to draft a good QB you can stick right into the lineup if your main guy goes down (ironically, I took Rodgers over Brady last season because I was worried about Brady's age...I was going to take Rodgers again this season, but he was gone already).  If anything, I will have weeks where I will be torn who to start...both Wilson and Brady can rack up the points.  Also have the Eagles D/ST (I was the second team to take a D/ST unit).  Took a chance on Jordan Reed at TE, with Antonio Gates as a backup.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm a little weak at RB...I have Devonta Freeman (RB1), Rex Burkhead (RB2), and Kerryon Johnson (one of my FLEX guys for now).  I'm strong at WR (Beckham and Demariyus Thomas, with Josh Doctson as a possible WR2 or FLEX), and QB (Brady and Russell Wilson).  I took Wilson for a couple of reasons:  at that point in my draft, there wasn't a lot that was great that I couldn't likely nab later, and as I learned last year with Aaron Rodgers (and my backup Kirk Cousins), always nice to draft a good QB you can stick right into the lineup if your main guy goes down (ironically, I took Rodgers over Brady last season because I was worried about Brady's age...I was going to take Rodgers again this season, but he was gone already).  If anything, I will have weeks where I will be torn who to start...both Wilson and Brady can rack up the points.  Also have the Eagles D/ST (I was the second team to take a D/ST unit).  Took a chance on Jordan Reed at TE, with Antonio Gates as a backup.

I drafted Brady, Hogan, and Gostkowski the other night (my backup QB’s are Luck and Eli, as we’re allowed to carry three QB’s). I figured the three Patriots will either all get hurt and/or underachieve, or do what they usually do and give me a better chance to win a lot of money. Either way, I win lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I drafted Brady, Hogan, and Gostkowski the other night (my backup QB’s are Luck and Eli, as we’re allowed to carry three QB’s). I figured the three Patriots will either all get hurt and/or underachieve, or do what they usually do and give me a better chance to win a lot of money. Either way, I win lol. 

Nope, Brady will throw to different receivers, get to the five yard line and their various RBs by committee will get the vast majority of the touchdowns in their many thrashings of AFC East teams.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Nope, Brady will throw to different receivers, get to the five yard line and their various RBs by committee will get the vast majority of the touchdowns in their many thrashings of AFC East teams.

The yards still count, and Gronk is a mismatch all over the field, especially in the red zone. Show me the money. 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We only have four bench slots in our league, so I wasn't taking a 3rd QB (I used those slots on a QB, WR, TE, and K...I had THE very last pick in the draft, so I took the K).  I'm guessing by Week 3 or 4, someone might offer me a deal for Brady or Wilson.  Not sure I would take it...I'd have to get someone VERY productive back. 

I had Hogan last season and was ready to take him again, but it's tricky when you're in a 14-team league and you're picking last/first (back-to-back).  A lot of guys come off the board during the time you're waiting to make your two picks.  Makes it tough to get those RB point machines everyone craves, so you go in other directions, where the depth charts aren't as depleted.  I was hoping to get Fournette and Hill with my first two picks, but they were snatched up 12th and 13th. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Nope, Brady will throw to different receivers, get to the five yard line and their various RBs by committee will get the vast majority of the touchdowns in their many thrashings of AFC East teams.

Brady still puts up a lot of throwing TDs...I don't think there's going to be some disproportionate number of rushing TDs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The yards still count, and Gronk is a mismatch all over the field, especially in the red zone. Show me the money. 😛

Would've loved Gronk myself, but he's one of those guys who just goes well ahead of the other TEs (in the 20s usually)...then about 5-10 slots after him, it's guys like Kelce and Ertz...I didn't take Reed until the 98th pick (I was torn between him and Kyle Rudolph). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would've loved Gronk myself, but he's one of those guys who just goes well ahead of the other TEs (in the 20s usually)...then about 5-10 slots after him, it's guys like Kelce and Ertz...I didn't take Reed until the 98th pick (I was torn between him and Kyle Rudolph). 

I actually nabbed Rudolph in the 6th as my starting TE in that same league I was talking about. I picked up Gesicki as my backup late- hoping that could prove to be a good value pick. He’s been in bubble-wrap in the the preseason games, but according to one of the Fins’ beat writers, he has had the defense literally talking to each other on the field about how unguardable he’s been in the red zone in practice, and what he could provide when the lights come on. 

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I actually nabbed Rudolph in the 6th as my starting TE in that same league I was talking about. I picked up Gesicki as my backup late- hoping that could prove to be a good value pick. He’s been in bubble-wrap in the the preseason games, but according to one of the Fins’ beat writers, he has had the defense literally talking to each other on the field about how unguardable he’s been in the red zone in practice, and what he could provide when the lights come on. 

I took Amendola and Gesicki with my last two picks before I took a defense and kicker.  I thought of dropping Gesicki for Coradelle Patterson, but decided to hold off.  (Jimmy Graham is my starting TE).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's kind of telling that this thread's become more or less fantasy football ish lol, if you took fantasy football out of the equation the NFL's popularity might get cut in half.  I do a couple of fantasy football leagues as well, I just don't like doing them for money - mostly cause there's going to be the inevitable conflict of players going against the Jets in my fantasy games.  I can deal with it in a free league, not so much with money on the line (plus going the homer route never works for me, the Jets don't do bupkus anytime I ever pick them for fantasy).  And doing more than one league sometimes you get one player going against you that you have in another league.

That's not to say I don't get competitive in the leagues I am in - but this year it's only the NJDevs one and another dynasty points league which is pretty deep - 16 teams, IDP's at every position (3 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB, 1 Def Flex) along with the standard offensive starters (QB, two RB, three WR, TE, Flex, K) with 40-man rosters plus minors.  I inherited a pretty good team, but even though I had Rivers and Stafford at QB I had to draft Darnold at 9 in the prospects/FA draft so hopefully my homer curse doesn't continue - not that I'm going to play Darnold this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's kind of telling that this thread's become more or less fantasy football ish lol, if you took fantasy football out of the equation the NFL's popularity might get cut in half.  I do a couple of fantasy football leagues as well, I just don't like doing them for money - mostly cause there's going to be the inevitable conflict of players going against the Jets in my fantasy games.  I can deal with it in a free league, not so much with money on the line (plus going the homer route never works for me, the Jets don't do bupkus anytime I ever pick them for fantasy).  And doing more than one league sometimes you get one player going against you that you have in another league.

That's not to say I don't get competitive in the leagues I am in - but this year it's only the NJDevs one and another dynasty points league which is pretty deep - 16 teams, IDP's at every position (3 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB, 1 Def Flex) along with the standard offensive starters (QB, two RB, three WR, TE, Flex, K) with 40-man rosters plus minors.  I inherited a pretty good team, but even though I had Rivers and Stafford at QB I had to draft Darnold at 9 in the prospects/FA draft so hopefully my homer curse doesn't continue - not that I'm going to play Darnold this year.

I mean, NFL is the perfect sport for fantasy league.  Only one set of games a week and most leagues are head to head, giving everyone a better chance of winning with relatively little time invested in it.  Don't know how much it helps the ratings ultimately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird first Sunday...Ryan Fitzpatrick goes completely insane (how many fantasy owners started him yesterday?), flags galore in most of the games I checked out...Buffalo just gets completely destroyed...Dolphins start at one and don't finish their game until after the other 4:15/4:25 pm games are done...and a friggin' TIE of all things between the Steelers and Browns.  I only watched the first quarter-and-a-half of the Bears/Packers before calling it a night, and then I see that the Packers came all the way back to win.  Crazy day. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.