GDT: Devils @ Kings 3/17/18 4:00 PM EST

nessus

17 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Btw, it hasn't been acknowledged for a bit but the Devils currently sit at 13th in the league in goals for. Monumental steps up from previous years. We're finally out of the scoring doldrums:

2017-18: 13th, 215 goals (through 71 games)

2016-17: 28th, 183 goals

2015-16: 30th, 184 goals

2014-15: 28th, 181 goals

2013-14: 27th, 197 goals

2012-13: 28th, 112 goals (lockout shortened season)

This is such a breath of fresh air. The Devils had been so unwatchable since lockout two. Every attempt to piece together some kind of patchwork offense in the past 5 years has totally failed. They are an enjoyable team to follow this season. The games are fun again.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really accurate.  The Devils are now 10-6-0 in their last 16 GP, and their losses in that stretch have come against the Blue Jackets, Wild, Panthers, Hurricanes, Golden Knights, and Jets.  

Also fair to keep in mind that the Hurricanes were still kind of in WC contention at the time, and their win over the Devils came after a win against the Flyers...that turned out to be their last gasp, as they've followed those wins up with losses in five of six.  But it's not like the Devils have been piling up losses against bottom-feeders lately.  And they've already won three games on a trip that the especially Negative Nancies thought had a good chance to be winless.

The Devils lost to three teams outside of the playoffs in four games and then won three games on the road a lot of people wouldn't have expected them to, that's all I'm really saying. I wasn't shooting to be descriptively accurate with "sh!tty" I was shooting for brevity and to emphasize the quality of these past few wins.

Edited by Neb00rs

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

This is such a breath of fresh air. The Devils had been so unwatchable since lockout two. Every attempt to piece together some kind of patchwork offense in the past 5 years has totally failed. They are an enjoyable team to follow this season. The games are fun again.

It's been mind numbing to watch this team not score for five years. There's been very little to tune in for for so long. So glad it's looking like it won't be that way again for awhile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Seguin had 22 pts in his first season in 74 games. He got 67 the year after that. Nico could legit crack 70-75 points next season, and who knows after that, it can only go up.

Just remember that development is not always linear with young players...or not big leaps forward...sometimes guys have sophomore slumps, etc.  Hopefully that won't be the case with Nico.  

He's a baby in NHL years...even if next year's numbers don't represent a huge improvement, that doesn't mean he won't see significant improvement in his glamour numbers down the line.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, you're taking a shot at a phantom Devils poster here. I don't think anyone thought there's an actual conspiracy, but getting bounces isn't the same as getting the calls. It's not like the calls are all going the Devils way now. The officiating wasn't great tonight either if you ask me and the NHL definitely has some reevaluating to do during the offseason when it comes to replay, rules, officials, etc.

No I’m taking a shot at many of our posters who claimed a conspiracy game after game after game. And many of them were serious. 

8 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Seguin had 22 pts in his first season in 74 games. He got 67 the year after that. Nico could legit crack 70-75 points next season, and who knows after that, it can only go up.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico with 7 goals and 8 assists in his last 16 GP (and that includes a five-game pointless streak).  Can't be happier with this kid's first season in the NHL.  As much as he's always held his own (even though he gets pushed around in some games), it's even more impressive that he's found ways to be more productive in these oh-so-important games down the stretch.  Kid has a legit shot at 20 goals and over 50 points.  Just a terrific rookie season.

I think especially so if he stays on a line with Hall. The idea of separating them at this point is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No I’m taking a shot at many of our posters who claimed a conspiracy game after game after game. And many of them were serious. 

It's always been pretty simple...sure, at times it seemed like an absurdly and infuriatingly disproportionate amount of calls were either going against the Devils (or obvious calls weren't being made), but the fact that the Devils were awarded the first pick overall (despite not being an obvious candidate) in the 2017 draft kind of blows the conspiracy theory out of the water.  

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just remember that development is not always linear with young players...or not big leaps forward...sometimes guys have sophomore slumps, etc.  Hopefully that won't be the case with Nico.  

He's a baby in NHL years...even if next year's numbers don't represent a huge improvement, that doesn't mean he won't see significant improvement in his glamour numbers down the line.

Oh for sure, some guys have 2-3 similar years and then go crazy haha but I think Nico is gonna get better with each season. He’s just the complete package as a player and he seems to learn and adapt quickly to this level. What I was saying to show is that sometimes a season does one hell of a difference. I’ve noticed a lot of players that exploded in their second season. But if Nico only gets like 5-10 more points next season or if he has as you said a “sophomore slump” I won’t be alarmed it’s part of the development. I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to get that amount of points.

Edited by Devs3cups

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't think it was many, and of the ones who did, I think it was anger in the moment less than it was serious. But we can agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's always been pretty simple...sure, at times it seemed like an absurdly and infuriatingly disproportionate amount of calls were either going against the Devils (or obvious calls weren't being made), but the fact that the Devils were awarded the first pick overall (despite not being an obvious candidate) in the 2017 draft kind of blows the conspiracy theory out of the water.  

Unless they did that just to throw us off the scent of the conspiracy...

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't think it was many, and of the ones who did, I think it was anger in the moment less than it was serious. But we can agree to disagree.

I’m not going to go back and check, but it was said a ton of times, it’s possible it was the same people repeating it constantly, in anger, in many different moments. But there are definitely people here who think that the league makes decisions based on biases for or against certain teams or players. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not going to go back and check, but it was said a ton of times, it’s possible it was the same people repeating it constantly, in anger, in many different moments. But there are definitely people here who think that the league makes decisions based on biases for or against certain teams or players. 

You might find a kook or two, but among the many regular posters on this board, I remember most of it coming in the heat of games. And those calls were pretty infuriating. As a token of proof, I really haven't seen it at all on here since that horrible streak of calls a few months back.

the team is faster than the league and everyone is playing catch up across the board

including refs and players 

its also an opportunity to go for the cup this year

heavy claims but one thing needs to happen is hands need to catch up with feet

edit:need to skate around physical teams and not through 

Edited by lazer

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

You might find a kook or two, but among the many regular posters on this board, I remember most of it coming in the heat of games. And those calls were pretty infuriating. As a token of proof, I really haven't seen it at all on here since that horrible streak of calls a few months back.

A kook or two? On this message board?? Noooooo...

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A kook or two? On this message board?? Noooooo...

I'm not sure if you are joking or seriously taking a shot at the board. But yeah...I think most, if not almost all the posters on this board are pretty sane, fairly normal. And it's A LOT better in terms of that than it was 8 or 9 years ago, when there were a handful of posters that were just pure trolls (some of whom have since been banned). But alas, the board had more overall participation back then too so more trolls will come with that territory.

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I'm not sure if you are joking or seriously taking a shot at the board. But yeah...I think most, if not almost all the posters on this board are pretty sane, fairly normal. And it's A LOT better in terms of that than it was 8 or 9 years ago, when there were a handful of posters that were just pure trolls (some of whom have since been banned). But alas, the board had more overall participation back then too so more trolls will come with that territory.

If you're not sure about that, you probably don’t read a whole lot of my posts.

:) 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or the league is trying to pay us back for winning the lottery lol

Edited by NJDevs4978