GDT: Devils at Ducks 3/18/18 9:00 PM ET

nessus

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

this back to back is also bad for Dano's voice i think

No sh!t, sounds like he’s losing his voice more than he usually sounds like he’s losing his voice. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Would I have signed up for 3-1 at this point in the road trip?  Abso-fvckingly-lutely.

I'll leave it at that, tough night and all.

• Like 3

And MB, no lame "goal analysis" tonight.  None of tonight's loss is on KK.

• Like 2

RECAP

• This was just an awful game.
  • Tonight is a perfect example as to why shot blocking defensive zone systems do not work, especially in the playoffs.
    • Blocking a lot of shots is NOT a good thing.
    • It should only be a last resort
    • The best d-zone systems are ones that apply constant pressure on the puck, and prevent shot attempts as a whole.
    • There is no such thing as a low danger shot.
    • 3 of the 4 Ducks goals were a result of a "low danger shot".
    • The best way to beat a shot blocking defense is to literally shoot the puck a lot, which is why shot blocking systems fail, because they're so damn easy to beat.
  • Shoot the puck on the powerplay!
    • Stop forcing passes to the middle.
  • In retrospect, it was a good thing Schneider didn't start because it would have killed his confidence even more, and he doesn't deserve to be subjected to that piss poor effort.
  • Kinkaid played a good game tonight, and did everything he could.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Nothing Kinkaid could have done
  • Goal 2: Not Kinkaid's fault, but maybe if his stick was in better position it could have been stopped
  • Goal 3: Absolutely nothing Kinkaid could do.
  • Goal 4: Again, nothing Keith could have done.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 29 to 62
  • ES FF: 20 to 50
  • ES SF: 14 to 33
  • ES SCF: 17 to 29
  • ES HDCF: 7 to 13
  • All CF: 39 to 67
  • All FF: 26 to 53
  • All SF: 17 to 36
  • All SCF: 23 to 33
  • All HDCF: 8 to 14

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 24.88 to 63.58
  • FF: 17.82 to 49.99
  • SF: 13.18 to 34.23
  • SCF: 15.31 to 28.59
  • HDCF: 6.87 to 12.93
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Who do you do these for? 

The response process:

8 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• This was just an awful game.
  • Tonight is a perfect example as to why shot blocking defensive zone systems do not work, especially in the playoffs.
    • Blocking a lot of shots is NOT a good thing.
    • It should only be a last resort
    • The best d-zone systems are ones that apply constant pressure on the puck, and prevent shot attempts as a whole.
    • There is no such thing as a low danger shot.
    • 3 of the 4 Ducks goals were a result of a "low danger shot".
    • The best way to beat a shot blocking defense is to literally shoot the puck a lot, which is why shot blocking systems fail, because they're so damn easy to beat.
  • Shoot the puck on the powerplay!
    • Stop forcing passes to the middle.
  • In retrospect, it was a good thing Schneider didn't start because it would have killed his confidence even more, and he doesn't deserve to be subjected to that piss poor effort.
  • Kinkaid played a good game tonight, and did everything he could.

GOALIE RECAP

• Goal 1: Nothing Kinkaid could have done
  • Goal 2: Not Kinkaid's fault, but maybe if his stick was in better position it could have been stopped
  • Goal 3: Absolutely nothing Kinkaid could do.
  • Goal 4: Again, nothing Keith could have done.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 29 to 62
  • ES FF: 20 to 50
  • ES SF: 14 to 33
  • ES SCF: 17 to 29
  • ES HDCF: 7 to 13
  • All CF: 39 to 67
  • All FF: 26 to 53
  • All SF: 17 to 36
  • All SCF: 23 to 33
  • All HDCF: 8 to 14

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

• CF: 24.88 to 63.58
  • FF: 17.82 to 49.99
  • SF: 13.18 to 34.23
  • SCF: 15.31 to 28.59
  • HDCF: 6.87 to 12.93

Wait a minute here.  If you are saying there is no such thing as a Low Danger shot, then why do you post statistics regarding high danger shots?  How would you quantify what counts as a high danger shot when there is no existence of a low danger shot?  Wouldn't all shots then be considered high danger thus rendering the stat useless?

In terms of the actual game last night, Devils looked gassed, especially in the first period and in the 3rd period.  I really wanted 4 points out of 6 in California and I pegged this as the game most likely we were going to lose, so I am not going to be part of the sky is falling crowd after last night.  KK played alright, but I wonder if maybe Cory should have started simply by being the more rested goalie.  He did look a little slow to react on the first goal.  I can imagine Cory getting the start the next game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hynes decides to give KK another shot to see if he still has the hot hand.

Also yeah Greene is finished as a player.  He shouldn't be on the team next year and Shero has to find a way for him not to be on the roster in October.  He simply has nothing left in the tank.

I also thought Severson had a bit of trouble last night too.  He turned over the puck a bunch of times in his own zone and was making poor decisions.  Again it could be due to fatigue like the rest of the team, but he was more glaring than others.

I thought Grabner had a decent game.  Same with Gibbons.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, he’s got comedic timing, you have to give him that one. 

Yeah, gotta give credit where it's due...that was a solid comeback. 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

In terms of the actual game last night, Devils looked gassed, especially in the first period and in the 3rd period.  I really wanted 4 points out of 6 in California and I pegged this as the game most likely we were going to lose, so I am not going to be part of the sky is falling crowd after last night.  KK played alright, but I wonder if maybe Cory should have started simply by being the more rested goalie.  He did look a little slow to react on the first goal.  I can imagine Cory getting the start the next game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hynes decides to give KK another shot to see if he still has the hot hand.

Also yeah Greene is finished as a player.  He shouldn't be on the team next year and Shero has to find a way for him not to be on the roster in October.  He simply has nothing left in the tank.

I also thought Severson had a bit of trouble last night too.  He turned over the puck a bunch of times in his own zone and was making poor decisions.  Again it could be due to fatigue like the rest of the team, but he was more glaring than others.

I thought Grabner had a decent game.  Same with Gibbons.

As far as the bolded goes, I have a feeling the Tampa game (at home, the night after facing Pitt on the road) could be similarly brutal.  That one-game-in-six-days stretch allowed them to catch their breath a bit, but they still seem like they're prone to fatigue, especially when the schedule compresses.  Really hope the first period against SJ isn't like the last few. 

6 goals and 9 assists for Zajac in his last 21 GP.  I'll happily take that from him. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as the bolded goes, I have a feeling the Tampa game (at home, the night after facing Pitt on the road) could be similarly brutal.  That one-game-in-six-days stretch allowed them to catch their breath a bit, but they still seem like they're prone to fatigue, especially when the schedule compresses.  Really hope the first period against SJ isn't like the last few. 

6 goals and 9 assists for Zajac in his last 21 GP.  I'll happily take that from him. 

I saw that on the schedule and that looks brutal.  It comes off of a long cross-country flight out of SJ as well going across 3 time zones.  If we win 1 out of those 2 games I will happily take it.

Zajac seemed to be doing fairly well, but didn't know that well.  That's some solid production from a guy who was producing at near zero for the first 20-ish games of his season.

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I saw that on the schedule and that looks brutal.  It comes off of a long cross-country flight out of SJ as well going across 3 time zones.  If we win 1 out of those 2 games I will happily take it.

Zajac seemed to be doing fairly well, but didn't know that well.  That's some solid production from a guy who was producing at near zero for the first 20-ish games of his season.

It doesn't feel like that much because he gets held pointless in a fair number of games...in that 21-game sample, he's been shut out 12 times.  But considering that he had two points through his first 20 games, I'll happily take these suddenly very respectable offensive numbers for Zajac, no matter how he gets them.  He has a shot to reach 500 points for his career by the end of next season...he needs 43 more points to do it. 

As far as scheduling goes, adding the Lightning game into things, if they Devils can come away with 8-10 points over the 8-game stretch that started with the Jets and ends with the Lightning, I'll take it.  The good news is that the Devils get two days off after Tampa, and then get non-playoff teams in four of their next five.  Not saying those games will be easy (easy games are few are far between for the Devils, though they do find ways to get some wins), but at least there's not much travel. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976