GDT: Devils @ SJ 10:30 PM

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

Young talent: Nico, Bratt, Boqvist, Butcher, McLeod, Anderson

Fair enough one guy who's had a pretty consistent year but still went through a really tough stretch. Bratt and Butcher could be pretty good I don't think Bratt is there by any means over a whole season and some other guys haven't  played a NHL game yet. Butcher has a lot of assists but I don't think his ceiling is all that much higher, he's flattened out but hopefully he continues to improve. 

I honestly think Bratt is more of a question mark than a given at this point. Understandable for a young kid. I do hope we figure out a way to fill their pockets with rocks so we don't roll out a bunch of undersized forwards next season. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You are way off-base on this one.  You saw progress made this season.  Team is still in a playoff spot with less than 10 games left...they may indeed not finish this off, but don't make it sound like this team is stuck in neutral.  There's reasons for optimism, and Shero will continue to be active.  

What did you prefer, more Band-Aids and iffy UFA signings?  Are you saying that Shero tearing things down was some kind of mistake?  

No it obviously did get to a point where they had no choice but to rebuild, I'm just saying it's not exactly a sure thing they get out of it.  Sure they made 'progress' all the way to a historically bad choke.  Now they have no goalie, still have no legitmate top four d-man other than Vatanen (Severson's been a joke lately too) and the secondary scoring was awful other than Hall.

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

This team needs a starting goalie in the worst way. Kk is an AHL'er playing over his head. Schneider is finished. This is 2 years in a row now with him. He's just collecting a masive paycheck at this point and doing little else. Shero has his work cut out for him 

KK is an NHLer...I don't think he'll ever be a full-time starter, but he can play at this level.  

We'll see about Cory.  I think he can bounce back next season.  But this has been one hell of a rock bottom.

• Like 2

Just now, slasher72 said:

well,  look at the bright side...just imagine how bad this team would be if Lou was still the GM. We'd be a sh!t with sh!t draft picks and no Hall. 

At this point there is no bright side anywhere

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

No it obviously did get to a point where they had no choice but to rebuild, I'm just saying it's not exactly a sure thing they get out of it.  Sure they made 'progress' all the way to a historically bad choke.  Now they have no goalie, still have no legitmate top four d-man other than Vatanen (Severson's been a joke lately too) and the secondary scoring was awful other than Hall.

The Devils will be 10-8-0 in their last 18 GP even with these two losses.  They're 3-2 so far on a trip that some were predicting would be a total disaster.  They've had some rough games, but they've hardly choked.  Hasn't helped that Florida, Philly, and Columbus all happened to go on big runs.  And they're not dead YET.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

KK is an NHLer...I don't think he'll ever be a full-time starter, but he can play at this level.  

We'll see about Cory.  I think he can bounce back next season.  But this has been one hell of a rock bottom.

If he were younger than maybe, but Schneider is 32 now. And he seems to have bottomed out and then kept digging. 

We all remember how awful Brodeur towards the end and Hedberg had some stinkers (he was old too) but I cannot remember any Devils goaltender ever having this rotten a stretch for 11 consecutive games. And of course you have to consider the era and all. In the 80's and early 90's you'd be happy with a bunch of 3 goals against efforts. But I really have not seen this bad goaltending for this long a stretch. It would be like if Terreri went 11 games and gave up 7 goals, 6 goals, 5 goals a bunch of times. That wouldn't fly back then either.

And Cory didn't come here with a lot of wear and tear. He shouldn't be an old 32.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

The way we are playing making the playoffs would represent a waste of time.  I would rather see a hungry Panthers team play Tampa in Round 1.  That may be mildly entertaining compared to our one trick pony show.

After looking at Bratt's numbers I'm even less impressed. He got off to a fast start but hit the wall early and Butcher has essentially the same points total. 

Good progress overall but I think the huge majority of that progress was Hall carrying this team on his back . 

The goalie question mark can be a huge problem moving forward next year. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils will be 10-8-0 in their last 18 GP even with these two losses.  They're 3-2 so far on a trip that some were predicting would be a total disaster.  They've had some rough games, but they've hardly choked.  Hasn't helped that Florida, Philly, and Columbus all happened to go on big runs.  And they're not dead YET.

They were nine points up on a playoff spot...NINE.  And that was two and a half weeks ago.  The only reason the record was even that good is cause of Hall and KK pulled a great handful of games out of his rear end and even Lack chipped in a couple.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

They were nine points up on a playoff spot...NINE.  And that was two and a half weeks ago.  The only reason the record was even that good is cause KK pulled a great handful of games out of his rear end.  

I can't defend these clowns really, but 9 points is not as fat as it seems. It's just 4 1/2 games if this was baseball. Still it shrunk to nothing awfully quickly because nobody we needed to lose actually lost. I don't see a way Florida doesn't pass us at this point. They are a dead team skating

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

If he were younger than maybe, but Schneider is 32 now. And he seems to have bottomed out and then kept digging. 

Some would argue that Schneider has under 400 games played in his career though. That is really small compared to starters who are in his age range. Just look at Fleury. He has almost 400 games more than Cory, and he's still going strong.  Even Rask who is one year younger has 100 more games. Who knows, maybe he really could step it up next year. I think he can.

Edited by Devs3cups

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You are way off-base on this one.  You saw progress made this season.  Team is still in a playoff spot with less than 10 games left...they may indeed not finish this off, but don't make it sound like this team is stuck in neutral.  There's reasons for optimism, and Shero will continue to be active.  

What did you prefer, more Band-Aids and iffy UFA signings?  Are you saying that Shero tearing things down was some kind of mistake?  

And they will continue to improve. No doubt in my mind they,ll be better next year and will compete for a playoff spot. 

Just now, Devs3cups said:

Some would argue that Schneider has under 400 games played in his career though. That is really small compared to starters who are in his age range. Just look at Fleury. He has almost 400 games more than him, and he's still going strong.  Even Rask who is one year younger has 100 more games. Who knows, maybe he really could step it up next year. I sure think he can.

I don't think he can. Too mentally fragile. He lost some quickness. His confidence took a hit. And it just snowballed to this.

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

And they will continue to improve. No doubt in my mind they,ll be better next year and will compete for a playoff spot. 

Great, maybe one of these years they'll actually make the 8 seed and get punted by a real team with real coaches in five games anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, titans04 said:

After looking at Bratt's numbers I'm even less impressed. He got off to a fast start but hit the wall early and Butcher has essentially the same points total. 

Good progress overall but I think the huge majority of that progress was Hall carrying this team on his back . 

The goalie question mark can be a huge problem moving forward next year. 

I can't complain. Bratt is a 6 round pick who made it an NHL roster and has good skills. Butcher is tied down with Lovejoy and is not seeing as much PP time with the Sami

Edited by fsu1852

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Great, maybe one of these years they'll actually make the 8 seed and get punted by a real team in five games anyway.

Look, if it's the way you wanna go about it it's fine. I actually really see progress this year, and I have no doubt Shero is going to improve this team this summer. I think Cory can come back to form. And a year of experience can do wonders for the young guys. We'll see I guess. 

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't think he can. Too mentally fragile. He lost some quickness. His confidence took a hit. And it just snowballed to this.

He needs the Hall treament from Shero and Hynes this summer. But I think he can bounce back.

COLEMAN!!!!! 

Lol kidding

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1