Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

GDT: Devils @ SJ 10:30 PM

Recommended Posts

RECAP

  • Players and coaches need to understand the following.
    • It's more important to get to the puck than it is to protect the front of the net.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they allow teams to cycle the puck along the perimeter, and take long distance shots at will.
    • It's more important to get the puck out of the D-zone than it is to make a clean breakout.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try to maintain puck possession at all costs leading them to hang on to the puck which leads them into turning the puck over.
    • Conversely, it's more important to get the puck in the O-zone than it is to carry the puck.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try and make that one move or pass at the blue line which leads a guy offside or causes a turnover leading to a rush the other way.
    • You don't want the puck on a player's stick for a long time.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they hang on to the puck as long as possible allowing teams to easily strip the puck away.
    • You don't want to hesitate to take a shot when there's a lot of time and space for you to do so even if there's not a clear lane.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they always try to create a shooting lane by walking the line or skating around with the puck too much in fact the Devils are DEAD LAST in taking slap shots this season.
    • Simple and boring is always better.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try too hard to be creative, and it ends up wasting offensive zone pressure.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEY STILL CONTROL THEIR OWN FATE, AND ARE STILL IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.
  • Kinkaid is our number one starter from here on out.
    • Not exactly sure what happened to Cory, but he should be given the rest of the year off and recuperate.

GOALIE RECAP

  • Goal 1: Tough break with the deflection.
  • Goal 2: No chance for Schneider, beautiful tip by Pavelski
  • Goal 3: Perfect shot by by Hansen
  • Goal 4: Absolute trash goal to allow
  • Goal 5: Bad goal, but coming cold probably had an effect
  • Goal 6: Who cares at this point?

POSSESSION

  • ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 37 to 37
  • ES SF: 21 to 22
  • ES SCF: 15 to 20
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 62 to 64
  • All FF: 45 to 42
  • All SF: 28 to 25
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 10 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

  • CF: 47.41 to 62.29
  • FF: 34.49 to 39.2
  • SF: 19.64 to 23.29
  • SCF: 14.44 to 20.42
  • HDCF: 5.88 to 5.09
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny, Lou had his teams in the playoffs damned near every year for quite a while too...and lo and behold, his teams even won a few Cups!  Yes it got ugly at the end and it was absolutely time for he and Conte to go, but there were a hell of a lot of good Lou years.

I'm talking post lockout till a few years ago, which is close to 10 straight years of incompetence.  Yes, very grateful for the 90s but his ego and bad decision making along with Conte's terrible drafting are all I can think of right now since we're living in the present. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

  • Players and coaches need to understand the following.
    • It's more important to get to the puck than it is to protect the front of the net.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they allow teams to cycle the puck along the perimeter, and take long distance shots at will.
    • It's more important to get the puck out of the D-zone than it is to make a clean breakout.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try to maintain puck possession at all costs leading them to hang on to the puck which leads them into turning the puck over.
    • Conversely, it's more important to get the puck in the O-zone than it is to carry the puck.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try and make that one move or pass at the blue line which leads a guy offside or causes a turnover leading to a rush the other way.
    • You don't want the puck on a player's stick for a long time.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they hang on to the puck as long as possible allowing teams to easily strip the puck away.
    • You don't want to hesitate to take a shot when there's a lot of time and space for you to do so even if there's not a clear lane.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they always try to create a shooting lane by walking the line or skating around with the puck too much in fact the Devils are DEAD LAST in taking slap shots this season.
    • Simple and boring is always better.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try too hard to be creative, and it ends up wasting offensive zone pressure.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEY STILL CONTROL THEIR OWN FATE, AND ARE STILL IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.
  • Kinkaid is our number one starter from here on out.
    • Not exactly sure what happened to Cory, but he should be given the rest of the year off and recuperate.

GOALIE RECAP

  • Goal 1: Tough break with the deflection.
  • Goal 2: No chance for Schneider, beautiful tip by Pavelski
  • Goal 3: Perfect shot by by Hansen
  • Goal 4: Absolute trash goal to allow
  • Goal 5: Bad goal, but coming cold probably had an effect
  • Goal 6: Who cares at this point?

POSSESSION

  • ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 37 to 37
  • ES SF: 21 to 22
  • ES SCF: 15 to 20
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 62 to 64
  • All FF: 45 to 42
  • All SF: 28 to 25
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 10 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

  • CF: 47.41 to 62.29
  • FF: 34.49 to 39.2
  • SF: 19.64 to 23.29
  • SCF: 14.44 to 20.42
  • HDCF: 5.88 to 5.09

At his point i’m willing to let Mike Brown coach the team for the rest of the year, just to see if he’s right. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Don't be a jackass, Pavelski 3 inches in front of you, while the nearest Devils defenseman is 10 feet away, and getting a tip on a nice shot, that's going to go in most of the time.

Cory is sucking right now, but we don't need to exaggerate it for dramatic effect. The defensive effort this 1st period has been one of our worst all season, and Cory doesn't look good; both things can be and are true.

Wrong. Any goalie will tell you if there is a deflector in front you have to get close as possible to them so the puck will minimize  change of direction and still hit him. Cory is sitting in the back of the net. When goalies lack confidence, they retreat into the net.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with hope Cory can bounce back, good luck with that. Last year he was nothing better than average. We need to go back 2 years now to find the last season Cory was dominant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone with hope Cory can bounce back, good luck with that. Last year he was nothing better than average. We need to go back 2 years now to find the last season Cory was dominant.

Dude, I'd take 'average' from him right now.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goal 2 hit the inside of the post and went in.  Even if Schneider is right next to Pavelski he isn't getting that one.   I don't think he was particularly deep in the net for that one either, he was out challenging the shooter.

That said, Schneider looked worse than he has during this whole stretch last night.  I hope it was just that the first goal threw his fragile confidence, but I'm not sure why he's doing some of the things he's doing.  He missed that Pavelski backhand by a foot and was lucky it hit the post.  I'm not sure they can put him in again this season but I also don't think they have a choice - he will have to start at least 2 more games, I think, unless they think he's hurt and they shut him down.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I'm talking post lockout till a few years ago, which is close to 10 straight years of incompetence.  Yes, very grateful for the 90s but his ego and bad decision making along with Conte's terrible drafting are all I can think of right now since we're living in the present. 

Agreed.   Brodeur's regular seasons post lockout and Elias single handedly creating a legitimate second line for a few years there covered up a lot of managements sins.  it will be interesting to see what Lou does in Toronto because you already see a little bit of him gravitating to veterans.   I understand there are some long term cap implications but if it ultimately turns out that they are going with an over the hill Marleau over JVR, that will be a total head-scratcher.

Anyway, I'm very happy with where Shero has this going.   Sure, it will be frustrating if we don't make the playoffs this year but we are so far ahead of where we should be at this point in the rebuild, it's hard to complain.  While some of these teams are out there tanking year after year,  Shero is adding player after player through smart trades (Vatanen, Hall, Palmieri, MoJo) and the drafting so far seems pretty good.   We're also set up well to make a big play for an Erik Karlsson or John Tavares this summer.    

As for the game last night, I turned it off and went to bed after the 4th goal.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, '7' said:

I can't defend these clowns really, but 9 points is not as fat as it seems. It's just 4 1/2 games if this was baseball. Still it shrunk to nothing awfully quickly because nobody we needed to lose actually lost. I don't see a way Florida doesn't pass us at this point. They are a dead team skating

Eh it’s not quite the same cause of the loser point. 4.5 games in the NHL is basically 6-7 in another sport since it’s theoretically harder to make up games outright, and it was 4.5 with 19 to play. Of course we haven’t exactly taken ‘advantage’ of the loser point ourselves since blowing that game in Brooklyn in early January it’s either been all (2) or nothing (0) so in our case it’s actually hastened the demise...

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cory Schneider since December 29th: 11 GP, 0 W, 3.94 GAA, .868 SV%

Glue his pants to the bench and let him watch Keith play, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Triumph said:

he will have to start at least 2 more games, I think, unless they think he's hurt and they shut him down.

At this point I’m hoping he’s injured and has been for some time. Though, if that’s the case, bad on the coaching staff for continuing to run him up there.

If he just sucks, that’s a whole other story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It’s 100% mental, imo. 

We have all seen him completely steal games for NJ before and play at that high level with relative consistency. I have no doubt he has the skill. I'm not defending his play, merely that he isn't playing to the level we know he can.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We have all seen him completely steal games for NJ before and play at that high level with relative consistency. I have no doubt he has the skill. I'm not defending his play, merely that he isn't playing to the level we know he can.

"Confidence is contagious, so is a lack of confidence." - Vince Lombardi

Kinkaid, with all of his faults, is confident when he takes the crease and the team reacts accordingly.

Schneider, on the other hand, looked like a scared dog, beaten into the submission for the few minutes I watched of him. The team, in turned, put out a scared performance outside of Hall

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We have all seen him completely steal games for NJ before and play at that high level with relative consistency. I have no doubt he has the skill. I'm not defending his play, merely that he isn't playing to the level we know he can.

This pretty much sums it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We have all seen him completely steal games for NJ before and play at that high level with relative consistency. 

Not when it matters.  That's the bone of contention many of us have with Cory.  His continual failing in big spots tells me this is more than just a slump.  If he had just 'once' led the team to the playoffs and had a solid stretch run he'd be getting a lot more slack now imo.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not when it matters.  That's the bone of contention many of us have with Cory.  His continual failing in big spots tells me this is more than just a slump.  If he had just 'once' led the team to the playoffs and had a solid stretch run he'd be getting a lot more slack now imo.

Unfair, because he’s only played for our team when it was sh!t. The current team is the best since he’s been here and we’re still rebuilding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again I'm getting sick of pucks going over his left shoulder... I'm also sick of letting up goals a minute after taylor burit's a big one.. that has to kill him... life support 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Unfair, because he’s only played for our team when it was sh!t. The current team is the best since he’s been here and we’re still rebuilding. 

And 2014 when he crapped out after the Olympics and lost the job back to Marty down the stretch of the only other playoff run this team's had in the Cory era.  Now both times in a playoff run he's lost the job to his backup due to poor play.  But sure keep being happy with the meaningless .925's as a platoon goalie and on 70-point teams.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

  • Players and coaches need to understand the following.
    • It's more important to get to the puck than it is to protect the front of the net.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they allow teams to cycle the puck along the perimeter, and take long distance shots at will.
    • It's more important to get the puck out of the D-zone than it is to make a clean breakout.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try to maintain puck possession at all costs leading them to hang on to the puck which leads them into turning the puck over.
    • Conversely, it's more important to get the puck in the O-zone than it is to carry the puck.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try and make that one move or pass at the blue line which leads a guy offside or causes a turnover leading to a rush the other way.
    • You don't want the puck on a player's stick for a long time.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they hang on to the puck as long as possible allowing teams to easily strip the puck away.
    • You don't want to hesitate to take a shot when there's a lot of time and space for you to do so even if there's not a clear lane.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they always try to create a shooting lane by walking the line or skating around with the puck too much in fact the Devils are DEAD LAST in taking slap shots this season.
    • Simple and boring is always better.
      • WHAT THE DEVILS DO: they try too hard to be creative, and it ends up wasting offensive zone pressure.
    • MOST IMPORTANTLY, THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THEY STILL CONTROL THEIR OWN FATE, AND ARE STILL IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT.
  • Kinkaid is our number one starter from here on out.
    • Not exactly sure what happened to Cory, but he should be given the rest of the year off and recuperate.

GOALIE RECAP

  • Goal 1: Tough break with the deflection.
  • Goal 2: No chance for Schneider, beautiful tip by Pavelski
  • Goal 3: Perfect shot by by Hansen
  • Goal 4: Absolute trash goal to allow
  • Goal 5: Bad goal, but coming cold probably had an effect
  • Goal 6: Who cares at this point?

POSSESSION

  • ES CF: 52 to 58
  • ES FF: 37 to 37
  • ES SF: 21 to 22
  • ES SCF: 15 to 20
  • ES HDCF: 6 to 5
  • All CF: 62 to 64
  • All FF: 45 to 42
  • All SF: 28 to 25
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 10 to 6

SCORE AND VENUE ADJUSTED POSSESSION

  • CF: 47.41 to 62.29
  • FF: 34.49 to 39.2
  • SF: 19.64 to 23.29
  • SCF: 14.44 to 20.42
  • HDCF: 5.88 to 5.09

Unfortunately it's not in our hands anymore and we don't control our own fate. We have reached the stage where will will need help from others. 

The max points we can finish with is 100, Florida , CBJ and the Flyers can all finishing with 101+. So even if we went perfect for the remainder of the season if the others did too we would still miss out. Not that that is likely to happen ( although the way Florida and Columbus is playing it seems like they will never lose again!!!) But we let's not kid ourselves that we don't need help from others. 

It was looking good a few days ago. Now it's very much in the balance. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

At his point i’m willing to let Mike Brown coach the team for the rest of the year, just to see if he’s right. 

He's right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jagknife said:

"Confidence is contagious, so is a lack of confidence." - Vince Lombardi

Kinkaid, with all of his faults, is confident when he takes the crease and the team reacts accordingly.

Schneider, on the other hand, looked like a scared dog, beaten into the submission for the few minutes I watched of him. The team, in turned, put out a scared performance outside of Hall

That is so true;  KK has to play out.  We have no choice.  We have little margin for error.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And 2014 when he crapped out after the Olympics and lost the job back to Marty down the stretch of the only other playoff run this team's had in the Cory era.  Now both times in a playoff run he's lost the job to his backup due to poor play.  But sure keep being happy with the meaningless .925's as a platoon goalie and on 70-point teams.

He had 3 bad games in a row that year and Brodeur was going upstairs talking to Lou about playing more.  Brodeur had 0 business getting more starts that year as he had already destroyed the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.