GDT: Devils @ Pitt - 23 Mar - 7p Eastern

jagknife

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Zacha and Wood both day-to-day still, but I'm guessing neither plays in this game...

What do/should the lines look like?

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Gibbons - Zajac - Grabner

Bratt - Coleman - Maroon

Noesen - Boyle - Stafford

to be fair if that lineup makes it into the playoffs they overachieved by a mile.   That's some scary sh!t, and honestly throwing Zacha in there doesn't add much other than some higher expectations that won't be met.  If they win it's not based on talent but heart.

34 minutes ago, titans04 said:

to be fair if that lineup makes it into the playoffs they overachieved by a mile.   That's some scary sh!t, and honestly throwing Zacha in there doesn't add much other than some higher expectations that won't be met.  If they win it's not based on talent but heart.

For sure.  It's funny you mention that, because as I was writing it I was thinking "it would be nice if Boyle, Stafford, and one of either Coleman or Bratt were out of the lineup and replaced with Zacha, Mojo, and Wood."  Not that it would automatically make the team a top 5 in the league, but it definitely deepens the roster and makes it a little more formidable on paper.  Agreed that if they do happen to get in, they will have earned it and overcome some pretty serious odds.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

For sure.  It's funny you mention that, because as I was writing it I was thinking "it would be nice if Boyle, Stafford, and one of either Coleman or Bratt were out of the lineup and replaced with Zacha, Mojo, and Wood." 

I'm sorry I feel like you're doing a severe disservice to Coleman by putting him in with Boyle and Stafford. IMO Coleman has been pretty solid these past few weeks and is at the very least a quality 4th liner- if such a thing exists lol. IMO there are times this season that he's looked better than Zacha ever has.

I think it' unfair to lump him with Boyle and Stafford (who unfortunately are just flat out through)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

I'm sorry I feel like you're doing a severe disservice to Coleman by putting him in with Boyle and Stafford. IMO Coleman has been pretty solid these past few weeks and is at the very least a quality 4th liner- if such a thing exists lol. IMO there are times this season that he's looked better than Zacha ever has.

I think it' unfair to lump him with Boyle and Stafford (who unfortunately are just flat out through)

I also hated watching Bratt finally start to create chances yesterday and be stuck feeding Boyle or Stafford last night for the limited amount I was able to watch.

Gibbons - Zajac - Grabner

Bratt - Coleman - Maroon

Noesen - Boyle - Stafford

There's maybe a below average third line in there and two fourth lines?.   Certainly each brings something (I guess)  but some of them have overachieved (early on) and haven't done much since, a couple have done nothing at all. Most are cheap so I guess that counts for something but I think you get what you pay for. 

Really concerned that Bratt will live up to a 6th rd pick that is marginal at best and a guy that doesn't even make the lineup every night - young kid who knows

Grabner - really liked bringing him in but he's been a bust almost looks disinterested

Maroon - like the size and grit but he clearly benefited by playing on a more talented line before coming here - he's cheap though

Zajac - good guy in the room I'm sure but his contract compared to what he brings makes it hard to like the guy at this point for me. He's not horrible I guess that's worth something

Gibbons without a doubt had a career start to the season at what 30 years old? 

Noesen/Coleman - play hard but probably 4th line guys if they both crack the lineup on a good team

Stafford - hard pass - massive fail - cheap

Boyle - love the story, serviceable but he'll always be a guy that plays like he's 8 inches smaller

Zacha - JJ says hi

Mojo - damaged goods, didn't do much of anything prior to the parade to the IR.  For his sake I hope he heals concussion wise

Goaltending - ouch. I have no faith that Cory becomes a top half of the field goalie again at any point. I can't help but think people were arguing he was a top 7 league wide earlier this season

Defense - plenty of room to improve there too. 

15 hours ago, dmann422 said:

I didn't mean to lump Coleman with Boyle and Stafford in the sense of their skills and abilities being equal - moreso that Coleman just seemed like the next choice to sit after those two, assuming we had our other three guys back in the lineup (Mojo, Wood, and Zacha).  Who else would you sit then if you kept Coleman in the lineup?  I can't think of anyone else besides Bratt, which is why I also mentioned him in the list.  Didn't really have anything to do with their contributions necessarily.  Just the fact that we had some depth which pushes certain guys out of the lineup, fortunately or unfortunately.

LGD!!! :evil: 

FWIW, Zacha met the team in PIT & is practicing.  

Miles Wood skated prior to practice. 

As far as lines go, according to Chris Ryan: Travis Zajac and Nico Hischier are flipped again. Zajac centering Hall and Palmieri in line rushes.

Brian Gibbons left practice early. He went down the tunnel about 10 minutes into the session and did not return.

Zacha, Wood and Gibbons could all play Friday vs. Penguins.

Will know more at tomorrow morning’s skate. Keith Kinkaid will start in goal vs. Penguins. Saturday’s starter vs. Lightning TBD

FORWARDS
Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri
Michael Grabner - Nico Hischier - Jimmy Hayes* (after Gibbons left)
Patrick Maroon - Blake Coleman - Stefan Noesen/Pavel Zacha
Jesper Bratt - Brian Boyle - Drew Stafford

Edited by LittleBallofHate
Lines
  • Like 1